The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hey folks.....check this out:

Open Casting Call for Treasure Hunters

I'd totally be down there with...I dunno.....Tom and Duncan....

But I'm going to be in Honduras for the next week. Bummer...I think geocachers would be perfect for this! If anyone goes and they say "they know this guy who'd be perfect but is in Honduras on a treasure hunt..." I'd be eternally grateful :unsure:

--TT--

Well since you asked, I'm going to show up and Duncan is going to try to get off work early, and we're going to bring some sort of likeness of Jeff. How could ANYONE pass up a chance to cache for real cash? Where's the $kimmer on this one? This is where it's at, baby!!

But I'm going to be in Honduras for the next week. Bummer...I think geocachers would be perfect for this! If anyone goes and they say "they know this guy who'd be perfect but is in Honduras on a treasure hunt..." I'd be eternally grateful :unsure:

--TT--

I saw this 2 or 3 weeks ago, and if I were in a position in my life to take 4-8 weeks off from work I'd be all over this. C'mon.... puzzle solving, world travel, and treasure hunting? I'd be so there. Good luck to anyone who has the ability to go for it.

--TT--

I saw that last night while watching "The Apprentice"! Geocachers would dominate! The FTF and puzzle gurus would be the best candidates among the geocachers!

But I'm going to be in Honduras for the next week.  Bummer...I think geocachers would be perfect for this!  If anyone goes and they say "they know this guy who'd be perfect but is in Honduras on a treasure hunt..." I'd be eternally grateful  :unsure:

--TT--

Hmmmm.... 4-8 weeks away from work.... kids with the grandparents(!).... solving puzzles.... finding treasure..... kids at the grandparents(!!).... world travel.... cameramen following you around(?) Could be worthwhile, but we can't even solve one of TT's puzzles, guess we'd have to give that a lot a bit of thought.

Reality TV... our times' Bread and Circuses (thanks to Faux TV and those that chose to follow their lead.)

885dfe84-9f95-4829-8d7c-81ac98462598.jpg

Parsa

I guess Star Trek's Romans are just as "over the top" as Monty Python's version. Somehow I doubt theirs had a lisp.

:unsure: Had 'em confused for a moment there.

lifeofbrian2.jpg

Like the web site too Parsa. Good job.

Just might have to show up too, gonna be down there dropping my father off at the airport anyway. Hmmm.... but then someone might find the jeep TB and get the coords for "Sometimes here... Sometimes there...." and "TT annoyance cache #2". Would be interesting to see the kind of folks that would voluntarilly have cameramen follow them around and capture their silly mistakes on tape to be broadcast on TV.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

lifeofbrian2.jpg

"Stwike him, Centuwion, vewy woughly!"

"Oh, and, uh, throw him to the floor, sir?"

"Oh yes....thwow him to the floor, please."

Edited by TucsonThompsen
THANKS!! :unsure::blink: That was a fun cache with a T-Shirt for the memories. The candies were good too. Not many caches have that FINE Hersheys chocolate for the reward!

27dfa2b6-c187-401d-b8e7-cb71ad22d6dc.jpg

Go for it Harmon!! :ph34r:

Kawikaturn,

Wow! I am ever-so grateful for the great photo. Got to give this one some serious thought.

Harmon

THANKS!! :unsure::blink: That was a fun cache with a T-Shirt for the memories. The candies were good too. Not many caches have that FINE Hersheys chocolate for the reward!

27dfa2b6-c187-401d-b8e7-cb71ad22d6dc.jpg

Go for it Harmon!! :ph34r:

So you just couldn't wait. Congrats Dave, you passed me up, but I am right behind you hanging at 999! RM

Funny....cause I have that same doctored picture on my cubicle wall.

And my co-workers call me tasteless. At least the once with no sense of humour. I particularly like the logo of the band called "The Dead Kennedys" in the background.

Once and for all proof that Osawld was set up. He was jammin with Jack Ruby the whole time.

</conspiracytheory>

THANKS!!  :P  :P That was a fun cache with a T-Shirt for the memories. The candies were good too. Not many caches have that FINE Hersheys chocolate for the reward!

Go for it Harmon!! :P

So you just couldn't wait. Congrats Dave, you passed me up, but I am right behind you hanging at 999! RM

Rocketman: You mean you don't want to stay at 999 as Kevin and Susan have permanently done? They continue to cache and log finds, except their finds are logged in as notes, not finds. They have several FTF's this way; must drive the locals nuts. I once sent them an email [before I realized what they were doing] asking them if they meant to log a note as a find; they promptly ignored me. They don't realize they have found over 1K finds if they continue to sign both the cache and webpage logs.

If it's not about the numbers, why log their finds at all, especially FTF's, as notes, except only to taunt their fellow cachers? I just don't get it idunno.gif; am I putting too much thought into this? Good grief.

Incidentally, "official" find #999 was Snakes and Ladders .

Back to sanity: Congrats Kawikaturn on 1K; how 'bout a brewski beerchug.gif .

Edited by Chuy
THANKS!!  :P  :P That was a fun cache with a T-Shirt for the memories. The candies were good too. Not many caches have that FINE Hersheys chocolate for the reward!

Go for it Harmon!! :P

Rocketman: You mean you don't want to stay at 999 as Kevin and Susan have permanently done? They continue to cache and log finds, except their finds are logged in as notes, not finds. They have several FTF's this way; must drive the locals nuts. I once sent them an email [before I realized what they were doing] asking them if they meant to log a note as a find; they promptly ignored me. They don't realize they have found over 1K finds if they continue to sign both the cache and webpage logs.

If it's not about the numbers, why log their finds at all, especially FTF's, as notes, except only to taunt their fellow cachers? I just don't get it idunno.gif; am I putting too much thought into this? Good grief.

Incidentally, "official" find #999 was Snakes and Ladders .

Back to sanity: Congrats Kawikaturn on 1K; how 'bout a brewski beerchug.gif .

That's funny that you mention Kevin and Susan doing S&L as their 1000th and then not logging any more finds. I did S&L with fkrexcal and Trailgators and we ran into Kevin and Susan on the second day of our hunt. They were totally stuck on what to do next, but they had noticed something that helped us to move along from where we were stuck. We did part of the hunt together, but got stuck again near the end. They told us about their plan to stop logging caches at 999. I think they told us that they were going to start a second user account and start over again. I guess they just decided to stop logging their finds as finds.

I am definitely going to log the big 1000 soon, maybe tomorrow. I just have to decide which it will be.

Edit: Right now it's a toss up between one of TT's hardest caches that Trailgators and I have solved and a mountain hike.

Dave

Edited by Rocket Man
That's funny that you mention Kevin and Susan doing S&L as their 1000th and then not logging any more finds.  I did S&L with fkrexcal and Trailgators and we ran into Kevin and Susan on the second day of our hunt.  They were totally stuck on what to do next, but they had noticed something that helped us to move along from where we were stuck.  We did part of the hunt together, but got stuck again near the end.  They told us about their plan to stop logging caches at 999.  I think they told us that they were going to start a second user account and start over again.  I guess they just decided to stop logging their finds as finds.

I am definitely going to log the big 1000 soon, maybe tomorrow.  I just have to decide which it will be.

Dave

I'll never forget wandering around the mall with them. We all must have looked like a bunch of geeks! :P

So, with Jeff off in Honduras for a while, does anyone else have a chance of solving this one and making it a double annoyance for TT, missing the FTF? B)B)B)

I'm getting nothing so far, and it's a long way to go before I have a clue...

In just a few seconds of looking at this one, I got a reasonably good Longitude, but for the life of me, I cannot get anything that looks anywhere close to a Latitude.

The numbers in the Hint, mean nothing to me - I have tried all my math tricks on them to no avail.

ce444325-dd7d-448f-a777-6b1fc139550b.jpg

Nice work Rocket Man.

Congratulations,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Way to go Dave!!!!

Congrats on the Kilo.

We saw that cache come up and knew where it had to be, of coarse, the exact coordinates are another thing....

We hope you find your next 1000 in this county!!

The Splashes

But I'm going to be in Honduras for the next week.  Bummer...I think geocachers would be perfect for this!  If anyone goes and they say "they know this guy who'd be perfect but is in Honduras on a treasure hunt..." I'd be eternally grateful  :huh:

--TT--

WE'RE IN!! :huh::(

So, here's the story. John&Jess go down early and get the scoop. They call me down there at about noonish or so and we all check in. We fill out simple apps with just contact information and a simple release, and then sit around and wait, and speculate, and come up with a team name SHOW ME THE CACHE and wait some more, etc. We were almost the last team to get interviewed. Then we get called up. After some pleasantries, the interview went something like this:

NBC: So, how do you all know one another?

John: Jess and I are long-time boyfriend-girlfriend, and Tom we know through a common hobby.

NBC: Oh, what hobby is that?

John: (looking back and forth), Uhhhhh, geeeeee-ooooooooo-caaaaashing???

NBC: Oh, I've heard of that -- something to do with a GPS, right?

Tom: Yeah, sort of a high-tech scavenger hunt. People go hide things and post the coordinates on the web and then the race is on to go find it. There are caches in ammo cans that you have to climb a mountain for, then there are urban micros that are well cammoflaged, then there are puzzle caches where you have to solve the puzzle first to get the coordinates.

NBC: Oh, that sounds a lot like this show. Are you guys any good?

Tom (winking with all fingers and toes crossed): We're the BEST! I've got over 1600 finds and John&Jess are master puzzle solvers. We have one more team member with over 2000 finds who is the master at puzzle caches -- he would have been first in line here today except that he is in Honduras.

NBC: Well, we definitely want you guys to interview again up in LA. Can you make it?

J&J&T: Uhhhhh, (hearts miss a beat or two), yeah!!

NBC: How long will your friend be in Honduras?

J&J&T: About a week, I think.

NBC: OK, when he gets back, call me and we'll have you guys come up to LA to go through the next interview. Here's my card. Thanks for coming down.....

Took about a minute or two........... :D WoooooHooooo! :D

I celebrated by going out for FTF on TrailGators new El Capitan cache, Flume Bay'ed. Seems that I can't do a cache related to El Cap without having to go back the second day for a repeat performance! :lol:

Edited by FlagMan

Well, we went down there also, although we didn't get out there till about 4ish. The gal asked us how we found out about it, and why we would be good candidates for the show. We explained that our hobby was geocaching, and that it was all about solving puzzles and hunting for hidden things. Unfortunately we were only 2 and not 3, but we knew of a 3rd who was a master puzzle solver. The gal was very interested and mentioned that we were the type they were searching for. Interesting process, interesting interview. At worst we get to say that we made the attempt. At best we take a tour courtesy of NBC. At least we know we had a few heavy hitting competitors. Good luck to y'all Tom, John and Jess. Sorry we missed ya there, we were busy caching (imagine that).

Todd and Marie