The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Concerning the man who fell from Stonewall Peak I was at a park volunteers meeting yesterday and we got the full story from the park superintendant. It seemed the man was really quite drunk and that probably is one reason he survived. Also, he fell right between some rocks so wasn't as badly injured as he might have been if he'd landed on the rocks. There was a lot more to the story than was in the Union/Trib. As of Saturday he was undergoing brain surgery.

Concerning the park. I talked to the Superintendant and asked what was happening concerning placing geocaches in the park again. Some of you will remember Duscwe had to remove some he had placed after the fire. She said the different park superintendants were talking it over and would probalbly come up with a plan that would be used by all State parks. Something similar to what Borrego is now using. Cuyamaca still doesn't want anyone off trail because the flora still needs time to grow back. And, I am one of the quiet readers of the forum and really enjoy Harmon's art work and the banter that goes back and forth. Also I have picked up several good hints to help with geocaching. :unsure:

Just a reminder:

This Sunday at 9PM on NBC

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

"The Unblinking Eye"

A young actor is wounded and his fiancee killed, leading detectives to look into a high-tech treasure-hunting game called geocaching.

Don't forget everyone!!!

Just a reminder:

"The Unblinking Eye"

A young actor is wounded and his fiancee killed, leading detectives to look into a high-tech treasure-hunting game called geocaching.

Don't forget everyone!!!

Unless TIVO changes its mind at the last minute (not unheard of, by the way), we will capture this episode! :unsure:

Very funny Harmon!

I had a feeling you couldn't resist!  Actually, it's not a bad touch up.  Now I have just one question.  Where the heck am I????!!!!!  Or should I ask, Adios Mio!!!!  Donde estoy?????

Thanks for the laugh, Nat

Nat,

You appear in a very famous Jesse Trevino painting entitled Liria's. It was painted in 1977 and is a 66 x 48 inch acrylic on canvas. Trevino paintings are always photo-realistic and feature scenes and the vibrant colors of Latino communities. They are irresistable as editing backgrounds.

Waddaya mean " ... not a bad touchup?" Seems to me it turned out well, but then, I might feel different were it me in the picture.

Danada,

Harmon

Here's a another Trevino painting I once used to pester Carpenter from Hell.

501a27c0-8115-4277-aaa4-f3fc0aa75ad3.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Just a reminder:

"The Unblinking Eye"

Don't forget everyone!!!

So, a little poetic license or WHAT!!

Buried cache that needs to be dug up with a spade;

A whole bag full of expensive swag;

GPS technology that allows you to track someone else's vehicle on a PDA;

Anything else????

Just a reminder:

"The Unblinking Eye"

Don't forget everyone!!!

Unless TIVO changes its mind at the last minute (not unheard of, by the way), we will capture this episode! :unsure:

Awright! which one of you has been using a shovel to bury containers? That was bad enough but the thing that really ruined it for me was that the container didn't even have a plastic Gecko in it. Puh-leez, that's just not possible.

Actually the tracking thing can be done with 3G cell phones rather than a PDA.

Before the third-generation (3G) handset models with built-in GPS receiver I was asked to implement a mathematical solution for locating a cell phone. You'll love this ... the solution involves the intersection of polar hyperbolas with axis rotation and axis translation. (Second semester calculus.) Fundamental variables were the differences in signal propagation time derived from three cell nodes.

With 3G models a cell handset can easily be tracked because a cell node can request GPS coordinates from a 3G handset. Back then the need was to locate lost or injured users, now it's that and more including advertising targeted for passer-by shoppers.

At the ranch we are developing a means to locate and jam handsets smuggled into prison cell-blocks. Cell phones became small enough to hide within an inmates body cavity; dare I say "keester it?" Such cell phones are used during the wee hours to make very short gangsta calls through cell windows. The hard part of this project is that there are five distinct cell-phone flavors.

Yep, big bro' is out there and watching. So much for our fifteen minutes of fame.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Just a reminder:

"The Unblinking Eye"

Don't forget everyone!!!

So, a little poetic license or WHAT!!

Buried cache that needs to be dug up with a spade;

A whole bag full of expensive swag;

GPS technology that allows you to track someone else's vehicle on a PDA;

Anything else????

Hey Now!

Troulbeshooting a TV show is as futile as giving a cat a bath...so here goes...

The killers used the GPS tracking to determine which cache(s) she vistited? They couldn't just check her logs? Also, I can't find a friggin' paintball container next to a rock, but the fuzz can find a "hoodie" and a gun buried under a flat rock? Maybe they should start caching... And what was with that riddle? At least the cacher wasn't the killer!

D!

Just a reminder:

"The Unblinking Eye"

Don't forget everyone!!!

Lalalalala, I'm not listening!

Gimme a break, please? I won't watch the tape till tonight. Don't ruin it for me, accurate or not. :unsure:

Just a reminder:

"The Unblinking Eye"

Don't forget everyone!!!

So THAT'S who leaves those clownfish keychains in caches!

Just a reminder:

"The Unblinking Eye"

Don't forget everyone!!!

So THAT'S who leaves those clownfish keychains in caches!

No offense but I thought that show was pretty lame. Did anyone else notice that the cache they found was buried? At least geocaching is starting to make it into the limelight, but I'd like to see it on a good show like CSI! :unsure:

And what was with that riddle?.....

Yeah, we should start sending TT's stuff to SVU for an instantaneous solution.....

If the show last night was any indication, the Law and Order team wouldn't have any luck with puzzle caches, or for that matter any caches in general.

I mean, come on.... it takes 12 cops to find a tupperware container? CowSpot Jr could have knocked that down in 5 minutes flat, and he doesn't draw municipal overtime pay.

They managed to get almost everything about geocaching wrong.

Some other 'highlights' from last night...

* Buried cache, 'nuff said.

* Cache description sounded more like a letterbox.

* Cop was looking at the Etrex upside down

The story, such as it was, could have been told just as easily without the geocaching angle. It would have been nice if they spent 5 minutes actually talking to a cacher before grafting that into the story.

All told, I kinda wanted my hour back once it was over.

I stopped watching that show as soon as "Desparate Housewives" entered the Sunday night schedule. It is a much more fun "guilty pleasure" than watching L&O:CI.

Watching that show last night was painful except for when I heard the words "Geocaching" or "cache" or when I saw the Home Page of GC.com . . . :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edit to add that the "Kissmobile" is in San Diego this week if you want to log that locationless cache. :unsure:

Edited by idiosyncratic

I have the show on tape so maybe I'll extract a few stills and clean up their act. Anybody want to appear in the stills? No problem, I can probably find a photo of you without much trouble. If not I can make one up.

While I'm at it I'll turn that eTrex right-side up.

Say, we've got a bucket-loader and a dragline at Sandy Creek Ranch. How would you feel about a Geocache that's really and truly buried? Talk about forming teams ... twelve of you in a chain-gang.

Speaking of that, Carpenter has already spotted a perfect location to place our team-of-six Cowboy fifteen cache.

Harmon

f22fdd6d-27ec-4fd5-8702-897742163389.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
I have the show on tape so maybe I'll extract a few stills and clean up their act. Anybody want to appear in the stills? No problem, I can probably find a photo of you without much trouble. If not I can make one up.

Say, we've got a bucket-loader and a dragline at Sandy Creek Ranch. How would you feel about a Geocache that's really and truly buried?

Harmon

Harmon, save that tape for the next time you have insomnia! :mad:

But.......it is always entertaining to see your creativity! ;)

Say, we've got a bucket-loader and a dragline at Sandy Creek Ranch. How would you feel about a Geocache that's really and truly buried?

Harmon

So you're saying that you wouldn't want to appear in a Law & Order scene with that female Geocacher. Right?

Harmon

So you're saying that you wouldn't want to appear in a Law & Order scene with that female Geocacher. Right?

LOL! You are right! She was the best part of that show! :)

Edit to add that the "Kissmobile" is in San Diego this week if you want to log that locationless cache. :mad:

here's a little help from Juan at Hersey:

Tuesday: 4-6 Walmart 4840 Shawline drive

Thursday: 12-2 Walmart 3382 Murphy Canyon Drive

4-6 Walmart 6211 Chula Vista

Friday 12-2 WAlmart 732 Center Drive San Marcos

4-6 Walgreens 111 W. Washington in Escondido

those are the locations however my street and addresses might be off. Good Hunting!

Edit to add that the "Kissmobile" is in San Diego this week if you want to log that locationless cache. :mad:

those are the locations however my street and addresses might be off. Good Hunting!

I just tried to scribble down those details too - I got the same as you except for the Chula Vista one, I heard 321 I Street (at Walgreens).

If anyone wants to hear the locations from the horses mouth, it's 1-888-499-KISS, and option 2 (or 4 en espanol!).

Who is the biggest FTF-monster around these parts? TT, you'd think? Well I just noticed that Chuy got FTF#94 today, in 1057 total finds (8.9%, or 1 in every 11.2 caches found), and Jeff is on 170 out of 2115 (8.0% or 1 in 12.4). Nice going, hombre!

(My numbers are a pitiful 6 out of 294, 2%!! But then it's not about the numbers, is it?)

Congrats to the Senior Sleuths on reaching the Gorilla!  :mad:  (Isn't it always a seven hundred pound gorrilla?)

Congrats Senior Sleuths! Only 61 to go until I get my Gorilla! Now I have something to look forward too! ;)

Dr. Boggis, what ever happened with the Padres game idea?

Edited by TrailGators

I'm flying out to Disneyland (from Utah) for a few days with my wife, and plan to do some virtuals in the park, but won't be able to make it to any physical caches. I've got a few Travel Bugs in my possession that REALLY want to get out of Utah (and stay out). I was wondering if anyone in the San Diego forum might know of a cacher near Disneyland that would like to do a quick Bug Swap. I'll be on foot, so if anyone could come to me it would be best. I'll be there from May 26-28. Email me if you have anyone in mind.

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by Redwing_dave
Who is the biggest FTF-monster around these parts? TT, you'd think? Well I just noticed that Chuy got FTF#94 today, in 1057 total finds (8.9%, or 1 in every 11.2 caches found), and Jeff is on 170 out of 2115 (8.0% or 1 in 12.4). Nice going, hombre!

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

happyfunball.gif

Edited by TucsonThompsen

(My numbers are a pitiful 6 out of 294, 2%!! But then it's not about the numbers, is it?)

Darn - I though that I was doing great with 10 FTF out of exactly 200 finds.

So it is 5% for me.

But without the 5 FTF on Easter Sunday, I would be down at 2.5 %

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Got three more last night; yee haw :lol: . Although After the View will be a bit controversial as the log was signed ahead of me but the entry is timed before the cache was listed on the website; I'm still claiming FTF.

JR_92065 has done something TT, myself and many others will never ever be able to do: get an FTF for his first find. He has two finds; so, his FTF find ratio is 50%.

Edited by Chuy

The response has been decidedly underwhelming!

I'd still like to organize it, and picked July 16th as a possible date, but so far only you (2 tickets), Chuy (4), Princess Toadstool (1) and myself (1) have said we'd go. We need to get over 25 people to start getting a group discount (though it's only $2 per ticket, so that doesn't really matter).

So, everyone please go to the poll thread on the SCG forums, or post here, or email/IM/PM me to let me know how many tickets you would want, or if you'd really like to join us but on another day.

I'd still like to organize it, and picked July 16th as a possible date, but so far only you (2 tickets), Chuy (4), Princess Toadstool (1) and myself (1) have said we'd go. We need to get over 25 people to start getting a group discount (though it's only $2 per ticket, so that doesn't really matter).

So, everyone please go to the poll thread on the SCG forums, or post here, or email/IM/PM me to let me know how many tickets you would want, or if you'd really like to join us but on another day.

Bummer! Maybe if the event expanded to include meeting at.....say... Dick's Last Resort after the game more people would go?! Dick's can be a lot of fun! We could drink a bunch of beer and toss rolled up cache logs at each other! :D

By the way, are there still tickets available for that game? Normally the games with fireworks sell out pretty fast. But maybe they hold sections for groups longer.....not sure. Anyhow we could always pick a different game.

Bummer! Maybe if the event expanded to include meeting at.....say... Dick's Last Resort after the game more people would go?! Dick's can be a lot of fun! We could drink a bunch of beer and toss rolled up cache logs at each other! :D

By the way, are there still tickets available for that game? Normally the games with fireworks sell out pretty fast. But maybe they hold sections for groups longer.....not sure. Anyhow we could always pick a different game.

Splashman and I said we wanted to go, so count us in for two tickets. If he doesn't want to go, I'll take one of our daughters.

Splashette

Splashman and I said we wanted to go, so count us in for two tickets. If he doesn't want to go, I'll take one of our daughters.

Splashette

Please take the single one if Jeff is going to be there :D

Uh-oh, some sort of GeoInbreeding goin' on. They can marry and then move down to Arkansas to share a trailer with RocketMan.

If a SplashDaughter marries TT does she get to claim half of his finds?

One day, perhaps, a little redneck bundle of joy.

688738ed-545c-4b6c-b356-ebcd64c8b301.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Splashette

Please take the single one if Jeff is going to be there :D

If a SplashDaughter marries TT does she get to claim half of his finds?

What is this?? Medieval Times? As I recall my history, it used to be common practice of the powerful kingdoms to marry off the kids into the other surrounding powerful kingdoms around providing alliegances and allies (and ideally) a bigger kingdom and stability and peace.

So how I'm reading this is that the Kingdom of the Splash Zone feeling so pressured by the expanding zone of the Empire of Arizona Bay, that its advisors and royal courtesans are asking for an alliegance?

Hmm......

However, it is true that the Splash Zone is one "huge tract of land" :D

And before anyone (read Dan-oh) can beat me to the punch.....

----------------------------------------------

"Sir, There were no utensils in medieval times, hence there are no utensils AT Medieval Times. Would you like a refill on that Pepsi? "

"There were no utensils but there was Pepsi?"

"Look....Dude, I got a lot of tables."

-------------------------------------------

--TT--

----------------------------------------------

"Sir, There were no utensils in medieval times, hence there are no utensils AT Medieval Times. Would you like a refill on that Pepsi? "

"There were no utensils but there was Pepsi?"

"Look....Dude, I got a lot of tables."

-------------------------------------------

Is that the sound of coconut shells clapping together that I hear.... :D

Edited by TrailGators

Hmm......

However,  it is true that the Splash Zone is one "huge tract of land"  :(

Guards! Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room until I come and get him.

- Until you come and get him, we're not to enter the room.

No, no. No. You stay in the room and make sure he doesn't leave

- We don't need to do anything apart from just stop him entering the room.

No, no. Leaving the room.

Sorry, had a busy afternoon. Got to it as soon as I could. :D

Edit to add that the "Kissmobile" is in San Diego this week if you want to log that locationless cache. :D

I just tried to scribble down those details too - I got the same as you except for the Chula Vista one, I heard 321 I Street (at Walgreens).

If anyone wants to hear the locations from the horses mouth, it's 1-888-499-KISS, and option 2 (or 4 en espanol!).

apparently Juan at hersey wasn't up to date with the people driving the kissmobile...Wednesday May 11 it will be at Walmart on Shawline 4-6

Hmm......

However,  it is true that the Splash Zone is one "huge tract of land"  :D

Guards! Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room until I come and get him.

- Until you come and get him, we're not to enter the room.

No, no. No. You stay in the room and make sure he doesn't leave

- We don't need to do anything apart from just stop him entering the room.

No, no. Leaving the room.

One thang f'r shore, with a trailer f'r y'r castle it ain't gonna sink into th' Alabama swamps.

Just a thought, do take a good close look at Prince Charles's ears so's you'll understand the heartbreak of inbreeding.

Cowboy logic,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
5 new TR caches out in Pine Valley. 

Go Chuy Go!!!!

Got the two off Jatapul with Duscwe last night. We considered Pine Valley, but we got kicked out of the area on our last night excursion trying to FTF on Dream State ( which I still can't figure out). We didn't even make it to the trail when Border Patrol "claimed" we couldn't enter the fireroad, even though there was no sign forbidding such entry :rolleyes: . He even threatened to tow our car if we parked it outside and hike in; he was no fun.

There's another unfound cache, It's Not My Fault, aka Great View, By Cracky!, by Flagman that JR_92065 can go for, but that cache includes a 1000 foot elevation gain! Yikes!

Ok Harmon - I have some new material for you.  My buddy fkrexcal just went on a trip to Australia.  He met up with some local cachers on the forums.  Below is a picture of he and his new Australian caching friends at this cache:

RM

O boy, o boy, I love it. I've got the photo saved and my mind is racing toward a fun editing job. Ausies you say? I must say that my first impression is one of sweet gentility.

953ec2dc-65b6-4b72-af96-f7df614788f4.jpg

Well, maybe not, let me think about it some more. Look deeply into their eyes ... gentility no, tigre yes!

45a1e10f-9f72-4013-b79f-1691d39fddfb.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

This is why... I'm just about "finished" (well at least done with the hard parts). Make sure and check out the photos.

Parsa's Virtual Route 66 Roadtrip

http://ushighway66.com/

That's nicely done, Parsa. A couple of comments:

It resized and moved my browser! Urgh. (Firefox, Mac OS 10.2.8)

You could use the picture in the lobby to link straight to the photos page - would seem logical to me.

Risking giving certain people more ammunition to play with Photoshop... .

Parsa

Parsa,

Congratulations on a job well done. Nicely integrated and terrific use of graphics for links.

Yep, you guessed it, I find many of your shots quite suitable as photo-editing backgrounds. I'll just presume your permission unless you say otherwise.

From personal experience I know for certain that you put a lot of love and effort into the presentation. It prompted me to recall a few personal memories of Route 66.

As old as I am I can actually recall when Route 66 was only thirty-three.

Thanks for sharing,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

This is why... I'm just about "finished" (well at least done with the hard parts). Make sure and check out the photos.

That's nicely done, Parsa. A couple of comments:

It resized and moved my browser! Urgh. (Firefox, Mac OS 10.2.8)

You could use the picture in the lobby to link straight to the photos page - would seem logical to me.

Yeah, I'm evil. I intended this for a lot of older folks who are still using small monitors. I actually did a survey on the Route 66 Yahoo group, and many, many were still using small resolutions. However, if you have a bigger monitor with a higher resolution the frame set would look weird if the window is the wrong size. Resize the window manually and you'll see what I mean. So I set it up to resize so everyone will see the same thing inside the window. My wife has her monitor set to this gosh-awful huge resolution that makes the window look like a postage stamp, but it was either that or have the other folks scrolling back and forth across the image maps. I'm not sure how the repositioning occurs. As far as I know, my script doesn't request that. It does occur for me also though.

The photos page links off the photo album ("snap shots") in the Lounge. The link from the painting in the Lobby is an interesting idea though.

Making this graphic based site was a lesson in just how non-universal internet standards are. It was assumed browsers would use html (and now xhtml) the same way. However, every browser works differently, shows different things, and accepts different code. At times I would have something that looked great only to find that in IE on a windows PC it looked like crap. Once I had to scrap an entire page setup and start over again from scratch. I was happy to finally discover the fast javascript imagemap thing, but even that was a pain to make it look good on all browsers in all platforms.

Parsa

(Risking giving certain people more ammunition to play with Photoshop....)

Why haven't Parsa's numbers been going up lately?

Parsa

Nice job on the website Parsa! One of these days I'll have to check out Hwy 66.

Hey folks.....check this out:

Open Casting Call for Treasure Hunters

I'd totally be down there with...I dunno.....Tom and Duncan....

But I'm going to be in Honduras for the next week. Bummer...I think geocachers would be perfect for this! If anyone goes and they say "they know this guy who'd be perfect but is in Honduras on a treasure hunt..." I'd be eternally grateful :D

--TT--

Hey folks.....check this out:

Open Casting Call for Treasure Hunters

I'd totally be down there with...I dunno.....Tom and Duncan....

But I'm going to be in Honduras for the next week. Bummer...I think geocachers would be perfect for this! If anyone goes and they say "they know this guy who'd be perfect but is in Honduras on a treasure hunt..." I'd be eternally grateful :D

--TT--

I think you should cancel your trip and show up at the Casting Call! RM