The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Introducing the YMS #12 card - DevHead.

Wot, no stapler?

Maybe it’s on the back side of the card. RM

Maybe Flagman will do some "mis-prints".

Hey, Devhead do you remember the famous quote from guy in the basement in the movie Office Space (I think his name was Milton)?

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..." :(

Wot, no stapler?

Maybe Flagman will do some "mis-prints".

Hey, Devhead do you remember the famous quote from guy in the basement in the movie Office Space (I think his name was Milton)?

"Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler..." <_<

3cf2576a-3756-4300-96ae-47b9c56d5347.jpg

Milton Waddam played by the incredible Stephen Root.

"Milton: I said I-I-I don't care if they lay me off either because I told Bill that if they moved my desk one more time that I am quitting, that I'm going to quit, and, and I told Dom too because they've moved my desk four times already this year and I used to be over by the window and I could see the squirrels and they were married but then they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler-

Peter: Okay Milton-

Milton: No, it's not okay because i-if they make me, if they, if they take my stapler then I'll, I'll have, I'll set the building on fire-

Peter: Okay, well, that sounds uhhhh, that sounds great, uhhh, I'll talk to you later! All right? Bye.

Milton:The cake to people ratio is very lacking."

Edited by SD Rowdies

Well, Princess Toadstool and I conquered several Sandy Creek Cowboy caches yesterday and I'm still laughing about some of them. :blink: You guys are so devious!!

I'm also adding gloves to my pack -- I needed them for one particular cache -- Harmon, you know the one . . . :huh:

Here we are, just a couple of tree huggers having a great day out by La Posta Truck Trail. :huh:

TreeHuggers.jpg

Oh, bragging rights, the beads on my hat are the trade item I took from my first, First-to-Find. :huh:

Now, when is someone else going to climb up there to enjoy the view? <_<

Well, Princess Toadstool and I conquered several Sandy Creek Cowboy caches yesterday and I'm still laughing about some of them. :blink: You guys are so devious!!

I'm also adding gloves to my pack -- I needed them for one particular cache -- Harmon, you know the one . . . :huh:

Here we are, just a couple of tree huggers having a great day out by La Posta Truck Trail. :huh:

TreeHuggers.jpg

Oh, bragging rights, the beads on my hat are the trade item I took from my first, First-to-Find. :huh:

Now, when is someone else going to climb up there to enjoy the view? <_<

Dang! I can't believe I missed you two after taking two scouting runs to see how you were doing. Went all the way down to cowboy thirteen and all the way up to cowboy twelve looking for you.

Now don't go gettin' the idea that we don't get all that many babes out this way. Truth is us ol' cowboys are old fashioned enough t' be concerned about y'r safety.

Thanks for the great photo. Love th' hat and th' sweet smiles, but wait, who took th' photo?

Yes, I know exactly which cache needs gloves or at least a trained monkey. Time and time again I've discussed that issue with Carpenter from Hell. As you can see from his recently posted note his sympathy is minimal even though he bought some new hardware for that setup. So now you can appreciate what a sweet ol' boy like me has t' put up with here at th' ranch.

Here's th' bad-news/good-news. The bad news for you is that we reactivated cowboy four this morning. The good news for us ol' cowboys is that y' have t' come back out for cowboy four some other time.

Next time make more dust and noise when y' drive by. Sorry we missed y'all.

Harmon

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

Buy your own for $30.99!  What a deal!  (I have one myself at work...and everyone envies it)

B00021UK0C.01-A3PL85D94NQDOF.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Red Swingline

Little known facts department....

---

During the production of the movie Office Space the production designer Edward T. McAvoy had to solve a problem. How to make a stapler that was so special that the film's character Milton would absolutely not allow his stinking boss Bill Lumberg to steal it from him and keep it. How would one said production designer do so? Well, by giving Milton a fire engine red Swingline stapler of course! With this idea in head, he called up Swingline and asked if they made such a stapler. They unfortunately did not. McAvoy then asked: "Well, do you mind if I use your logo on the side of a stapler I'm going to paint red?". Swingline did not mind. So McAvoy took 4 staplers down to a local auto-body shop and told them to make them perfectly painted, just like you'd paint a car." Their handy work can be seen changing hands throughout the movie.

Office Space was released in 1999 and it was not until 2002 that after many requests from movie fans, Swingline decided to create and sell a red stapler. It was in July of that year the company began started selling the Rio Red 747 Business Stapler (SWI74740). Since then, the stapler has begun popping up on desks in offices around the world. When someone see's a red Swingline on your desk, and they are quote unquote, "In the know", it really says something about you. The only thing bad about having one, is keeping people from stealing it.

Wot, no stapler?

My printer coughed up this version some time this afternoon. I have no idea how this came about! <_<

FrontDH-4.jpg

Edited by FlagMan

Wot, no stapler?

My printer coughed up this version some time this afternoon. I have no idea how this came about! <_<

Good on y' FlagMan.

I'm so glad that I was there to see the DevHead stapler incident first hand.

Now y' know how Geocaching trivia originates.

Edited by SD Rowdies

7c4f288e-b3d0-4475-8fac-ffbb3aca7707.jpg

Speaking of paperless caching, thought you might enjoy seeing a photo of the military PDA that's being furnished to combat troops 'round the world. It handles all the usual Palm PDA stuff and also provides GPS, communication, and mapping satellite links.

Want one? No problem, just enlist and then get promoted into the unit-commander ranks.

Edited by SD Rowdies

No thanks . . . my little Palm M500 works just fine. <_<

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my 2 1/2-year-old, monochrome Palm worked better than Princess Toadstool's fancy color version . . . at least out in bright sunlight.

Her Palm has a neat slide show feature for viewing pictures, however, and that is enviable. :blink:

Edit for typo . . . Doh!

Edited by idiosyncratic
Speaking of paperless caching, thought you might enjoy seeing a photo of the military PDA that's being furnished to combat troops 'round the world. It handles all the usual Palm PDA stuff and also provides GPS, communication, and mapping satellite links.

Want one? No problem, just enlist and get promoted into the unit-commander ranks.

Dang! I was getting all excited untill I read that last line. <_<:blink:

Buy your own for $30.99!  What a deal!  (I have one myself at work...and everyone envies it)

B00021UK0C.01-A3PL85D94NQDOF.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Red Swingline

Little known facts department....

---

During the production of the movie Office Space the production designer Edward T. McAvoy had to solve a problem. How to make a stapler that was so special that the film's character Milton would absolutely not allow his stinking boss Bill Lumberg to steal it from him and keep it. How would one said production designer do so? Well, by giving Milton a fire engine red Swingline stapler of course! With this idea in head, he called up Swingline and asked if they made such a stapler. They unfortunately did not. McAvoy then asked: "Well, do you mind if I use your logo on the side of a stapler I'm going to paint red?". Swingline did not mind. So McAvoy took 4 staplers down to a local auto-body shop and told them to make them perfectly painted, just like you'd paint a car." Their handy work can be seen changing hands throughout the movie.

Office Space was released in 1999 and it was not until 2002 that after many requests from movie fans, Swingline decided to create and sell a red stapler. It was in July of that year the company began started selling the Rio Red 747 Business Stapler (SWI74740). Since then, the stapler has begun popping up on desks in offices around the world. When someone see's a red Swingline on your desk, and they are quote unquote, "In the know", it really says something about you. The only thing bad about having one, is keeping people from stealing it.

ed1c2add-ef08-40d6-b9e3-1b489ae2bae6.jpg Very Interesting! <_<

Hey Guys!

From Japan, I thought I'd toss a quick greeting out to ya'll. The caching here has been VERY slow. It's a whole new experience caching in a place where you don't have ExpertGPS or TopoUSA to help you plot your caches. No imagery, no scannable maps with really up to date roads.

Today was cache find #1 in Japan. I've gone for the nearest three so far. Cache closest to me is "Shin Iwakuni" GCJMGQ. That's a DNF, looks like the area has been excavated since the cache owner placed it. Have received no reply from its owner so I'll wait to see if I can get someone to email me where it was to double check.

Second cache is called "The Cave - the end of the ground" - GCC3DA. This is a tidal cave on a nearby island. Unfortunately, the tides here seem to be a bit more drastic so if you don't catch the lower of the two low tides, you can't get this one. That particular low tide is after sunset right now, so next month I'll move in for the kill on this to see how it compares to Black Beard's Grotto.

And finally, today's cache - M`t Kyogoya View Point - GCJP9D. As the crow flies, this is a mere 10 miles from my house. The round trip to the cache, a 45 minute search and return took me 4 hours. The roads to the tops of the mountains here are just phenomanally... uh... narrow. We backed up for almost a half-mile the other day to let someone get by us.

Soon to be placing a whole bunch of caches in this area that is just ripe for the cache placing. Thought I would drop a "trip report" of sorts to ya'll, my caching family in SD. Sorry to be missing out on all the TT MTRP caches :laughing: They better be there when I get back!

Take Care,

VW

Oh... Here's a shot of Miyajima. It's the view from the cache I hit today.

miyajima.sized.jpg

Edited to fix links.

Edited by NomadVW
Oh... Here's a shot of Miyajima.  It's the view from the cache I hit today.

Terrific to hear from you. Looking forward to continuing field reports.

Photos, lots and lots of photos please.

Harmon

SD Rowdies and Sandy Creek Cowboys

It's Golden Week over there this week. For those of you that don't know that's their version of Spring Break, except everyone over there takes it. I am enjoying this week too because it has been very quiet (for email) at work for me. Anyhow, maybe I'll get a change to get over there this year and find some of your caches, NomadVW! :laughing:

Harmon

Be VERY careful with the photos. You never know what Harmon might do with them!!!! :laughing:

Be VERY careful with the photos.  You never know what Harmon might do with them!!!!  :laughing:

I wish Harmon would show me how to do some of that stuff!

I was thinking that Harmon should have added a cache up on that cloud above Princess Toadstool...and maybe a giant on the cloud saying "Fe Fi Fo Fum!"...and don't forget the sack of beans and the golden goose! :laughing:

Or maybe the photo wasn't doctored and Princess Toadstool needs some ladder lessons.

Harmon

Be VERY careful with the photos. You never know what Harmon might do with them!!!! :huh:

Dang! that's what all my friends say. Actually they often say "Harmon, you need some new friends."

On th' other hand let's just say, for example, that NomadVW wanted to be seen at Mt. Fuji.

599b76f1-6548-495d-b23a-9a3e3e52c026.jpg

Tada!

By th' way, don't blame me for the hat and shades.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Just a reminder:

This Sunday at 9PM on NBC

Law & Order: Criminal Intent

"The Unblinking Eye"

A young actor is wounded and his fiancee killed, leading detectives to look into a high-tech treasure-hunting game called geocaching.

I guess Harmon's artwork reminded me of "The Unblinking Eye" :huh:

Edited by TrailGators
Be VERY careful with the photos.  You never know what Harmon might do with them!!!!  :huh:

I wish Harmon would show me how to do some of that stuff!

Or maybe the photo wasn't doctored and Princess Toadstool needs some ladder lessons.

What I want is a picture of Harmon (hee hee hee).

Ladder Lessons? Lessons es for sessies.

Tips from Mario? We split AGES ago.

Be VERY careful with the photos.  You never know what Harmon might do with them!!!! 

Harmon,

I am actually enjoying your pictures and submissions to the San Diego Thread. I feel badly that you hurt your leg, but the time you spend on the Forum really entertains us. I also have a feeling you're planning more devious SCC caches when you're not doctoring our pictures.

I make it a point to never put a clear picture of me on my profiles. There may be a few on some virtual caches I found, but I had to take them to get credit for them. Anyway, that makes it difficult for any creative geocacher to doctor my photo.

Thanks again, Harmon. I enjoy reading your blogs more than I do reading the local backcountry newspapers! :huh: Nat

No, vacuum for seesies.

Well, maybe you just need the right venue for your sport. Its not that vacuuming is sissy, its that silly house boat!

Iron_Hook_Small.sized.jpg

Extreme Ironing

I guess that gives new meaning to "Iron Man" :huh:

By the way, boats are not sissy if you have a fishing pole in one hand and and a beer in other hand! :huh:

Dan-oh and Trailgators,

Thanks for your support and advice with regard to vacuuming. Please consider that I'm really old and that I'm married to an ex-nun. Think about it, married to a woman that was apparently married to God.

Saying "No" to a seester ees not for seesies.

Thing is about the houseboat is that we had to row it with galley oars. The tough part was rowing it up to speed for water skiing but we did it. Well, for a while we did until the slack went out of the tow line.

Truth is we had the Splashboat in our little armada. Splashboat not for seesies.

Seems to me I recently read an actual piece about extreme ironing. How does that work? I suppose y' have t' rappel up and down a lot to keep th' iron hot. By th' way, don't get me goin' about th' wild and crazy things I've done in my lifetime.

Life is good,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Saying "No" to an ex-nun ees not for seesies.

Nun? You should have said so sooner! Harmon, you are definitely not seesie! I still remember getting slapped all the time on the back of the hands with a ruler by Sister JoEllen when I was in 1st grade. I was a mischievous little guy back then. Man, she was ornery! However, most of the nuns were nice.......unless you crossed them!

Be VERY careful with the photos.  You never know what Harmon might do with them!!!! 

Harmon,

I am actually enjoying your pictures and submissions to the San Diego Thread. I feel badly that you hurt your leg, but the time you spend on the Forum really entertains us. I also have a feeling you're planning more devious SCC caches when you're not doctoring our pictures.

I make it a point to never put a clear picture of me on my profiles. There may be a few on some virtual caches I found, but I had to take them to get credit for them. Anyway, that makes it difficult for any creative geocacher to doctor my photo.

Thanks again, Harmon. I enjoy reading your blogs more than I do reading the local backcountry newspapers! :huh: Nat

Nat,

Hey, where you been? Us ol' cowboys keep hopng that you'll show up at our collection of cowboy caches. Indeed we are scheming some crazier setups for the future.

Thanks for the nice words about my Forum posts. To tell th' truth I've been waiting for an inevitable outburst of organized opposition. You are quite right that it has become a form of therapy for this danged busted ankle. It's finally sinking in that I have a long recovery ahead of me.

My gosh, now I'm a GeoBlogger. Wonders never cease.

The surprising thing I noted from Pqmommy's pineapple-upside-down-cake episode is that there's a sizeable contingent of silent Forum readers that never reveal their presence by posting. On a small scale it's as spooky as the Internet population that's always trolling for information. It's enlightening to do an Internet search using your Geocaching user name as the search criteria. We're being watched don't y' know?

Interesting that you have been careful about posting your own photo. Truth is that I have indeed searched for a photo of you as I've a weakness for women in Forest-Service uniforms. Just kidding about the uniform of course. Sort of.

Regards,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Saying "No" to an ex-nun ees not for seesies.

Nun? You should have said so sooner! Harmon, you are definitely not seesie! I still remember getting slapped all the time on the back of the hands with a ruler by Sister JoEllen when I was in 1st grade. I was a mischievous little guy back then. Man, she was ornery! However, most of the nuns were nice.......unless you crossed them!

Crossing nun not for seesies. They prefer to cross themselves.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Interesting that you have been careful about posting your own photo. Truth is that I have indeed searched for a photo of you as I've a weakness for women in Forest-Service uniforms. Just kidding about the uniform of course. Sort of.

Harmon,

Yes, that is indeed one of the reasons why I don't post my photo. I don't work for the Forest Service, but if I do tell you where I work I'll have to kill you. And I don't have it in me to do that to an ornery cowboy. I guess if I ever can afford the gas money to search for the rest of your famous caches I'll meet you in person and disclose where I work. In the mean time you'll have to keep feeding your weakness. Just kidding..... :ph34r: Happy Geocaching, Nat

Harmon,

Yes, that is indeed one of the reasons why I don't post my photo. I don't work for the Forest Service, but if I do tell you where I work I'll have to kill you. And I don't have it in me to do that to an ornery cowboy. I guess if I ever can afford the gas money to search for the rest of your famous caches I'll meet you in person and disclose where I work. In the mean time you'll have to keep feeding your weakness. Just kidding..... B) Happy Geocaching, Nat

Dang, where did I get that Forest-Service idea? I was so sure too.

So now I have something to look forward to. Sounds dangerous.

Thanks pal,

Harmon

On The Verge!

What to do next? Suggestions?

Do a webcam so you have a visual record of your thousandth find.

Go for it!

Harmon, if we did that how could you tell which moon was RM's? :unsure:

But seriously, that is a good idea! RM could hold up a sign saying "1000"!

Edit: The Chamber of Secrets is supposed to be really cool and has been used by several for their 1000th caches.

Edited by TrailGators
Did you hear about the guy that survived a 200' fall from Stonewall Peak in Cuyamaca State Park?  The story was in the UT or the on-line version is here.  Man, whatta chain of events!

O brother, "I won't marry you but I want us to stay friends." If y' translate that to Texican it means "Hit th' road jack." Sounds like she had him all figured out.

Wonder if he learned anything? O yeah, right, he won't know 'til he comes to will he? Sure glad that the rescue team didn't get hurt. Crashed helicopters are really hard t' fix.

Good time to rename Stonewall Peak as Lovers Leap.

Might be worth a hike to see if the ring can be found. 'Course y' might have t' clean it up a bit. Go for it $kimmer.

Cowboy logic,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
On The Verge!

Do a webcam so you have a visual record of your thousandth find. Go for it!

Edit: The Chamber of Secrets is supposed to be really cool and has been used by several for their 1000th caches.

Yeah, and then I can alter his webcam sign to say "100."

Edited by SD Rowdies
On The Verge!

Thanks for the warning.

On The Verge!

Thanks for the warning.

Oops, sorry. Figured you'd be out PDA-in' in th' bushes.

Interesting that you have been careful about posting your own photo. Truth is that I have indeed searched for a photo of you.

Harmon,

Yes, that is indeed one of the reasons why I don't post my photo.

Nat

d92d8bd2-2617-4bec-88a5-ae950f81b22f.jpg

Juan leetle mistake.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Very funny Harmon!

I had a feeling you couldn't resist! Actually, it's not a bad touch up. Now I have just one question. Where the heck am I????!!!!! Or should I ask, Adios Mio!!!! Donde estoy?????

Thanks for the laugh, Nat

Edited by Nat