The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Check out GCN3BX

:ninja:

Ok...lol...this is funny.

zenfire the owner of this cache...has 3 finds...

and owns (or has owned) 4 caches...

3 of the caches are the same one...2 times resurrected...

2 of the 3 finds are zenfire's own caches...

and Duscwe! was FTF this time and last :ninja:

This one makes "Livinrgttoo" look normal.

The only one I noticed was missing was the "Tom in a Wonder Woman Outfit". That one might demand a high price on Ebay someday.  :P  :ninja:  :ninja:

Sounds like a job for Harmon..... :ninja:

Well if the deadline will allow it maybe I could work that in tomorrow. $kimmer was after me tonight about that very thing. When $kimmer speaks I definitely pay attention.

My first experiment didn't show much hope. I say go with what you have posted.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Well, the verdict is in! FlagMan in the courthouse in a suit seems to be the winner. Sally Sleuth and Carol of pqcachers can take credit for the graphics and captions/backside text, respectively. Couldn’t decide on the backside images, so there are three variations....

On a more disturbing note, I found my Netflix copy of 2001 in the DVD drive of my computer, and it has been acting up ever since. B) It disregards all my commands and seems to have a mind of its own. It apparently disagreed with the card polling and starting spitting out misprints at a furious pace, six in total, including one (#2) that is DEFINITELY not ready for prime time. I had no control over the situation – it was like a bad Stephen King novel – Chuckie was in the house – I felt like I was stuck in the Jumanji electronic jungle needing a hard eight and rolling snake eyes. :( I finally pulled a particularly engaging website (Outpost.com or something like that :() and “Hal” got distracted long enough for me to print some of the “real” cards, but who know how long this distraction will last. I fully expect to see a stack of even more misprints on my desk when I get back later on. :mad: Please, someone, HELP ME GET CONTROL OF MY COMPUTER!!!!!!

Edited by FlagMan
Check out GCN3BX

B)

and Duscwe! was FTF this time and last :mad:

I don't understand how this one got approved with the other Marston cache just 216 feet away!

I don't understand how this one got approved with the other Marston cache just 216 feet away!

And what is funny is that "fishnthesea" (the owner of the other GWM cache) could not get it approved because the first step of a multi cache "Not Another Canyon" had it's first waypoint 500 feet away!

Edited by GoBolt

And what is funny is that "fishnthesea" (the owner of the other GWM cache) could not get it approved because the first step of a multi cache "Not Another Canyon" had it's first waypoint 500 feet away!

Final coords and intermediate coords next to each other shouldn't be a problem; it's the final coords that can't be within 528 feet. Flagman has a relatively new multi cache with an intermediate waypoint within 50 feet of a cache. I can't tell you which cache it is 'cause that would spoil the fun; it is a local treasure.

Final coords and intermediate coords next to each other shouldn't be a problem; it's the final coords that can't be within 528 feet. Flagman has a relatively new multi cache with an intermediate waypoint within 50 feet of a cache. I can't tell you which cache it is 'cause that would spoil the fun; it is a local treasure.

Yep...that is why it is funny...they would not approve it...he argued with them (the other caches first way point was not even a physical cache) they still said no...he removed the cache and was in the Antarctic when it was finally approved....hence none of us could find the cache...and FlagMan put out a temp...until he returned...

Yesterday, I completed the Sisters locationless cache and want to encourage you all to give it a shot. It was fun meeting a cacher in a different country.

In general, you locate a cacher in a sister city and log each other's coordinates for the welcome signs. Neither cacher is required to reside in the sister city, and a different set of cachers can claim the same sister cities; the owner only requests that you post different coords for a different welcome sign.

I was surprised to see TT is the only local cacher to have made the find for a San Diego area sister city. I was even more surprised to see San Diego has 15 Sister cities! And if you visit the sister city, you can claim a second find. Tijuana is one of San Diego's Sister cities; but I choose El Cajon-Goulburn, Australia.

Edit Note: Tycho52 made an attempt to find a cacher for a Carlsbad-Futtsu, Japan or Karlov Vary, Czech Republic find, but no one volunteered. I posted my request in the Australia forums and got a response in two days.

Tycho52, you can choose a different city; Oceanside has four sister cities, including Ensenada, BC Mexico.

Edited by Chuy
Yesterday, I completed the Sisters locationless cache and want to encourage you all to give it a shot. It was fun meeting a cacher in a different country.

In general, you locate a cacher in a sister city and log each other's coordinates for the welcome signs. Neither cacher is required to reside in the sister city, and a different set of cachers can claim the same sister cities; the owner only requests that you post different coords for a different welcome sign.

Looks interesting, yeah. But where are the Welcome signs for San Diego?? I don't remember ever spotting any.

Yesterday, I completed the Sisters locationless cache and want to encourage you all to give it a shot.  It was fun meeting a cacher in a different country.

In general, you locate a cacher in a sister city and log each other's coordinates for the welcome signs.  Neither cacher is required to reside in the sister city,  and a different set of cachers can claim the same sister cities; the owner only requests that you post different coords for a different welcome sign.

Looks interesting, yeah. But where are the Welcome signs for San Diego?? I don't remember ever spotting any.

You have to leave San Diego first B) .

You'd be surprised where they "pop" up.

The owner allows other landmarks, e.g. welcome signs at airports.

Well, the verdict is in! FlagMan in the courthouse in a suit seems to be the winner. Sally Sleuth and Carol of pqcachers can take credit for the graphics and captions/backside text, respectively.

Congratulations to Sally and Carol. There's no beating that dynamic duo.

Here's a teaser, a Wonder Woman version of the Flagman YMS card exists as a late entry on behalf of $kimmer.

The new cache up in Escondido (not Dan-oh's) is by a guy who has 0 cache finds, and I believe the cache is on private land. It's not in Daley Ranch, and although I believe the folks in the area tolerate trespassers going into Daley Ranch, it's still not public. What do you think?

GCNB33

Parsa

My son is here on Spring Break and thought this might be an intriguing adventure so we headed to the given coordinates to start this quest but didn't get much further than that....Are there any hints to be had out there? Help! 

Anyone care to help out Rubyzcrew with 'Snakes & Ladders'. It doesn't look like they do the forums so you have to email them via their profile page.

I just didn't know where to start with out blabbing the whole thing. :lol:

My son is here on Spring Break and thought this might be an intriguing adventure so we headed to the given coordinates to start this quest but didn't get much further than that....Are there any hints to be had out there? Help! 

Anyone care to help out Rubyzcrew with 'Snakes & Ladders'. It doesn't look like they do the forums so you have to email them via their profile page.

I just didn't know where to start with out blabbing the whole thing. :lol:

I saw their log and was thinking if they can't find the fist waypoint, they might want to go look for another cache.

I have 2 new caches in the que.  Realistically they'll be approved and found before I get up for work tomorrow.  :lol:

Look for : Lame Micro 245 and Bingo.  (links work work till they're approved) Both are in the Escondido area.

Bah! My new Lame Micro 245 is up and running but I forgot to include all the waypoint coords for the approver for my Bingo cache. I've emailed him back with the info but missed the rapid response time that I got the first time.

I hate it when I shoot myself in the foot like that.

farley-show.jpg

GOD! That sounds stupid! God, I'm an idiot!

I just didn't know where to start with out blabbing the whole thing. :rolleyes:

S&L is definitely harder than anything they've done before. They've done 3 multiples and one ? cache (the Shopping cache). I saw the log about not finding waypoint 1. I'd hate to see what happens to them later....

Parsa

Check out GCN3BX

:(

and Duscwe! was FTF this time and last :huh:

Looks like I may have been suffering from itchy approver finger! :rolleyes:

I can't find any reason that I would have knowingly allowed this, so I must have just overlooked it when approving them this weekend. Sometimes you get flying through the queue and just miss stuff. Oh well... :blink:

I can't find any reason that I would have knowingly allowed this, so I must have just overlooked it when approving them this weekend. Sometimes you get flying through the queue and just miss stuff. Oh well...  :rolleyes:

Uber-approver my eye! For that offense we'll dock your pay for 3 weeks.

Um, unpaid volunteer? Nevermind.

:blink:

Pocket Queries, Paperless Caching and Other Useful Things

With the recent interest in Paperless Caching and all the great things that go with it, I have been thinking that maybe it is time to have an info session/event so that the geogeeks amongst us can share what we know with non techies and newbies out there.  Similar events have been put on in other areas.

I'm not sure how informal the "paperless caching" event is meant to be. So far it seems to be a small number of interested parties so perhaps informality is best. However if a large number of people do attend the event and they happen to have disparate needs then perhaps some moderate level of preplanning is called for.

In the interest of planning and efficiency for a large turnout it seems to me that each and every attendee would be expected to submit a Forum message to identify what their personal expectations are in terms of the equipment and software and/or firmware they expect to master at the paperless caching event.

Items of interest should include the make and model of their desktop, laptop, GPSr, and PDA; and versions of operating system and application software for each item of equipment. Also the cables and adapters that each user has for interconnection of equipment should be identified.

Another thought is that there are firmware ugrades for most GPS receivers and some PDAs. My guess is that many Geocachers never load the upgrades for their units. Perhaps this is another issue that could be handled as a sidebar activity.

By the way, Radio Shack makes two models of a nifty little plug-in-the wall power converter that provides a vehicle (cigarette lighter) power socket that will support a GPSr. It is really useful for maintenance activities such as loading firmware upgrades, loading regional maps, and so on. Saves batteries and assures that your batteries don't die during a firmware upgrade or during a regional-map transfer. As I recall there's two models of the converter and both are priced at about ten bucks. These converters should help out a lot at the paperless-caching event.

I certainly don't intend to suggest that formality is needed and I certainly don't mean to interfere with event planning. Thing is I had my fourth leg-cast replacement this morning for x-rays and so must be feeling some sort of do-gooder compulsion to get involved. Now I'll be a good little boy and fade back into the Forum quietly.

No good deed goes unpunished. - Luces Law

Harmon of SD Rowdies and Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

With the recent interest in Paperless Caching and all the great things that go with it, I have been thinking that maybe it is time to have an info session/event so that the geogeeks amongst us can share what we know with non techies and newbies out there.  Similar events have been put on in other areas.

I'm not sure how informal the "paperless caching" event is meant to be. So far it seems to be a small number of interested parties so perhaps informality is best. However if a large number of people do attend the event and they happen to have disparite needs then perhaps some moderate level of preplanning is called for.

In the interest of planning and efficiency for a large turnout it seems to me that each and every attendee would be expected to submit a Forum message to identify what their personal expectations are in terms of the equipment and software and/or firmware they expect to master at the paperless caching event.

Items of interest should include the make and model of their desktop, laptop, GPSr, and PDA; and versions of operating system and application software for each item of equipment. Also the cables and adapters that each user has for interconnection of equipment should be identified.

Another thought is that there are firmware ugrades for most GPS receivers and some PDAs. My guess is that many Geocachers never load the upgrades for their units. Perhaps this is another issue that could be handled as a sidebar activity.

By the way, Radio Shack makes two models of a nifty little plug-in-the wall power converter that provides a vehicle (cigarette lighter) power socket that will support a GPSr. It is really useful for maintenance activities such as loading firmware upgrades, loading regional maps, and so on. Saves batteries and assures that your batteries don't die during a firmware upgrade or during a regional-map transfer. As I recall there's two models of the converter and both are priced at about ten bucks. These converters should help out a lot at the paperless-caching event.

I certainly don't intend to suggest that formality is needed and I certainly don't mean to interfere with event planning. Thing is I had my fourth leg-cast replacement this morning for x-rays and so must be feeling some sort of do-gooder compulsion to get involved. Now I'll be a good little boy and fade back into the Forum quietly.

No good deed goes unpunished. - Luces Law

Harmon of SD Rowdies and Sandy Creek Cowboys

I agree with you Harmon. By the way, could you tell that big plane to quit following me!

:lol:

b29da4be-cdcc-4502-b296-2aedb8b05885.jpg

I agree with you Harmon. By the way, could you tell that big plane to quit following me!

:lol:

TrailGators,

Yeah, guess you're right about the chase plane, I'll call in the search party.

You've been a good sport all the way through. Thanks for a distraction from my broken ankle.

Besides, you should see the purple cast they put on my leg today. That's what I get for letting one of my daughters accompany me to my weekly x-ray session. Trouble is she now knows that they have a dozen colors to choose from and Easter is coming soon. Yikes.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I'm not sure how informal the "paperless caching" event is meant to be. So far it seems to be a small number of interested parties so perhaps informality is best.

First off - Thanks for your input Harmon.

I have been thinking of setting up an event like this for a while. I floated the idea in the SD thread to: a. find out from fellow SD cachers if they thought it was a worthwhile thing to do and b. see if there was adequate volunteer help to be able to pull it off. From the responses thus far, I think those two criteria have been met.

As far as the number of interested parties goes, I don’t think the forum response is a good indicator of that. We will have a much better idea once the event cache page is posted. Most of the folks that read this thread are the more seasoned cachers and many are also techies, so a small percentage of forum readers will need the information (All of the seasoned techies will still be encouraged to show up to help others though). There are a lot of newbie’s out there and non techie types who never go to the forums. I expect that many of those folks will be interested when they see the event cache page listed.

However if a large number of people do attend the event and they happen to have disparate needs then perhaps some moderate level of preplanning is called for.

Good points Harmon and great idea about the personal expectation query. We can ask for that when folks log the event cache page. What I envision is that there will be 2 parts to the event. First there will be a formal presentation/agenda with Q&A that everyone will sit through. I have not worked out a complete agenda yet and would appreciate input, but it will certainly cover general topics like what is a PQ, how are they generated and what you can do with them. It will also have a high level overview of the various software applications, where to get them and what they can do. Then there would be some real examples of the most common applications/techniques in action. Since GSAK seems to be the de facto GPX application, we will probably also have a short training session on its use during the formal presentation.

Items of interest should include the make and model of their desktop, laptop, GPSr, and PDA; and versions of operating system and application software for each item of equipment. Also the cables and adapters that each user has for interconnection of equipment should be identified. .

This kind of information will come into play during the second part of the event. After the formal presentation, I would like to have areas set up where folks can have one-on-one sessions to get their specific questions answered. This is where all of the seasoned techies can help out. We can have manned areas set up for specific types of information/questions (e.g. Magellan vs. Garmin, Mac vs. PC, Palm vs. Pocket PC).

Another thought is that there are firmware upgrades for most GPS receivers and some PDAs. My guess is that many Geocachers never load the upgrades for their units. Perhaps this is another issue that could be handled as a sidebar activity.

This could be covered during the formal presentation.

Good idea. Does anyone have one of these they could bring?

This is great stuff Harmon, keep it coming.

BTW: $kimmer had already volunteered your services, so I have you down as one of the techies to help out at the event.

Thanks,

Dave (Rocket Man)

BTW: $kimmer had already volunteered your services, so I have you down as one of the techies to help out at the event.

Thanks,

Dave (Rocket Man)

Dave,

You obviously have the event well thought out and under complete control. Well, you know, except for the unexpected surprises that will pop up at the event.

My Forum post was one of my rare outbursts of well-intended advise that must have resulted from getting a purple cast this morning. Thinking back on my outburst it is clear that you would await further developments before getting into specifics. My cowboy hat is off to you for your clear thinking.

Of course the date and time will dictate my availability but let me just say that it isn't smart to say no to $kimmer. Also I expect to be in this blamed cast for another five weeks but I'm actually getting around pretty well in it. Sandy might issue a pass to me for the event.

I have one of the Radio Shack power converters so you can count on it. The converter is really handy, even for loading waypoints. There's a split serial/power cable that greatly simplifies things by the way. I've got such a cable for Magellan units.

By the way, I checked and confirmed that there is a firmware upgrade available for the Garmin 60CS model that everyone is buying. In fact almost every Garmin and Magellan model has a firmware upgrade under the support section of the product web sites.

Thanks for your thorough and considerate response.

I'll be still now,

Harmon

I received the following email from Green Dolphin and figured that a Forum post would have the best chance of obtaining an answer to his question. After all, y'all know everything about Geocaching.

"Do any of you know of a small blue suv with the licence plate that says " (HEART)2GOCSH"? I noticed the license plate on the car as it was leaving the place where I work and am thinking it might be nice to make a new friend and maybe occasional partner.

Green Dolphin"

Either post a Forum answer or get back directly to Green Dolphin via Geocaching email.

Thanks,

Harmon

I own one of the Radio Shack transformers. Be careful though, they can't take much current flow. Your GPSr will be fine, but don't try plugging in a computer or a portable fridge or anything.

I use it when I have to do extensive work with the receiver in the house. I set the receiver to simulation setting, plug it in, and I can work with the receiver without power loss or beaping.

(Some of the mapping software functions don't appear unless there's a receiver picking up a signal that's plugged in. This kind of work makes the transformer really useful. Data transfers usually don't take much time, but if you have several to do, it's nice not to have to continually turn the receiver on and off.)

d0466a80-23d1-45b1-8469-4179e9639a4e.jpg

I own one of the Radio Shack transformers. Be careful though, they can't take much current flow. Your GPSr will be fine, but don't try plugging in a computer or a portable fridge or anything.

Good point Parsa, I should have thought to mention that.

The two models have different power ratings. The one I have is Radio Shack Catalog No. 22-505. It's output rating is 13.5 vdc at 1,000 mAmps, ergo 1 Amp.

To drive the other point home, one will need a split power/communication cable as well as the power converter.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

I am sure there are those of us that do read this forum but are still babes in the techie woods.

Maybe have some handouts, so we don't have to worry about forgetting everything as soon as we leave. Cheat sheets for how to do things. Downloads we may need, and where to get them. Step-by-step instructions. Some of us are really clueless and :D:D

Maybe the techies could split the work, depending on which type of GPSr & PC/Mac & internet hookup (cable, wifi, AOL, etc.) Then they could get together to share & make sure all questions are answered before the event. I know it is a lot of work, but if a sheet could be made for each possible combination, that would be great. (ie. 60cs, pc, aol, hint, hint. :D )

And, of course, all about the paperless. Since I don't know anything about it, I have no suggestions of what needs to be covered.

Maybe a little pro/con session on the different hardware. What it takes for the item to do what we want it to do. (software, ease of use, etc.)

Thanks, techies!

see if there was adequate volunteer help to be able to pull it off.

Then there would be some real examples of the most common applications/techniques in action.

Good idea. Does anyone have one of these they could bring?

Depending on when and where this event takes place I hope to participate. I currently use a Dell laptop with a Verizon wireless card. I can be anywhere in the USA that has a verizon signal and get on the internet. I also use an IPAQ for paperless caching and have performed several firmware upgrades on my Rino 120 and 130. So...if this all works out (time and place) I could give 1 on 1 demos to interested people.

I'm heading to Radio Shack next to get my power converter, although, I've yet to have battery problems. :D

Depending on when and where this event takes place I hope to participate. I currently use a Dell laptop with a Verizon wireless card. I can be anywhere in the USA that has a verizon signal and get on the internet. I also use an IPAQ for paperless caching and have performed several firmware upgrades on my Rino 120 and 130. So...if this all works out (time and place) I could give 1 on 1 demos to interested people.

I'm heading to Radio Shack next to get my power converter, although, I've yet to have battery problems. :D

Sounds great devhead. It will be good to have someone in the know on using a Pocket PC. Most of us are using Palm OS. We have not picked a date yet, but will probably do it on a Thursday night in April. RM

Depending on when and where this event takes place I hope to participate. I currently use a Dell laptop with a Verizon wireless card. I can be anywhere in the USA that has a verizon signal and get on the internet. I also use an IPAQ for paperless caching and have performed several firmware upgrades on my Rino 120 and 130.  So...if this all works out (time and place) I could give 1 on 1 demos to interested people.

Sounds great devhead. It will be good to have someone in the know on using a Pocket PC. Most of us are using Palm OS. We have not picked a date yet, but will probably do it on a Thursday night in April. RM

Night Hunter gets credit for teaching me and Dillon Gang how to use the Pocket PC for paperless caching. I think it only took about 50 emails back and forth. :D

Now....what I want to learn is all this Photo Shop stuff. Anyone want to trade tutoring services?

Great idea, but wait until after March 28, as that's my B'Day and I have asked for a PDA. After last Saturday, should have asked for a new GPSr too. What kind is your's again, RM? Also need to know where to get the best price. When we have all the equipment, will NEED your class deperately!

Reply to $kimmer and those looking for good GPS prices - I got mine online at GPSDiscount.com - they have good reliability scores and their prices were a good $100 less than stores. Shipping was fast with no problems, lots of related accessories. Also, has lots of links to educational sites. Although the online link to paperless caching I found to be way more complicated than necessary. I've been using an old Palm Vx with Cachemate and EasyGPS and CMConvert and found it much easier than GSAK or the more arcane instructions you'll find somewhere.

I'd be interested in a 'tips and tricks' session; 'fraid I can't offer a locale but might be able to help with an LCD projector.

Only one place to buy a GPS ...go to REI you will pay a bit more but you have an unconditional lifetime warranty. I have been caching for just over a month and I am on my second GPS. Say a new model comes out...take it back and get the new one. Say you want to upgrade...take it back. Say your wife says "no more caching" take it back...yes if you don’t want it any longer you get your money back. Say two months after you purchased it...the company offers a rebate...take it back and submit your new receipt. Say a rock falls on it...take the parts back and get a new one. The only thing that is not covered is loss/theft...you must at least have the parts/unit (lol I said “unit”) to exchange. REI Return Policy

I don't know about you but I am sure I will kill one or two a year.

Dave

Edited by GoBolt
small blue suv with the licence plate that says " (HEART)2GOCSH"?

That's me. Thanks for passing the message. I will email green dolphin.

The license was my Christmas present from my kids.

OBTW, the tech event sound like a good idea. I do paperless, but I don't do it well. I could use some pointers.

Ray

b29da4be-cdcc-4502-b296-2aedb8b05885.jpg

:D

TrailGators,

Yeah, guess you're right about the chase plane, I'll call in the search party.

You've been a good sport all the way through. Thanks for a distraction from my broken ankle.

Besides, you should see the purple cast they put on my leg today. That's what I get for letting one of my daughters accompany me to my weekly x-ray session. Trouble is she now knows that they have a dozen colors to choose from and Easter is coming soon. Yikes.

Harmon

Yea Harmon, we had some laughs! You are pretty talented at Photoshop! I might have to get a copy of that and learn how to defend myself! :D

BTW I like the cast but have had it green for St. Patrick's Day! :D

Happy St. Paddy's Day everyone (even if you aren't Irish)!

Yea Harmon, we had some laughs! You are pretty talented at Photoshop! I might have to get a copy of that and learn how to defend myself!  :D

TrailGators,

If price is an object then you can use JASC Paint Shop Pro 9.0 instead of Photo Shop Premier. Of course there's even some decent lite versions.

I use both packages both personally and professionally. Photo Shop Premier has a more extensive range of features but Paint Shop Pro 9.0 is a very good package as well and is much less costly.

Support is good either way and there's good reference material for both.

Warning! you'll be sorry if y' get hooked on photo editing. Look what it did to Mrs. Senior Sleuth.

Good point about my cast color for St. Patricks Day. Sure glad that my daughters aren't reading these Forum messages.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Here's my comment: Taking away that memorial is BS.

Weighing in on an issue is what I want to avoid.

Specific question: What do you think about the appropriateness of a cache for an issue or cause?

I like the idea. It gives all of us a chance to reflect on some pretty dramatic changes that are happening in our society these days. I enjoy thought-provoking caches.

<snip>

If price is an object then you can use JASC Paint Shop Pro 9.0 instead of Photo Shop Premier. Of course there's even some decent lite versions.

I use both packages both personally and professionally. Photo Shop Premier has a more extensive range of features but Paint Shop Pro 9.0 is a very good package as well and is much less costly.

I use a legal version of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 here at work. It runs about $90 in the store. I use Photoshop 6.0 only at home because its parental lineage is questionable. I like that Elements and the full version are so similar, its nearly seamless switching between the two.

Photo editing is great for digital camera color correction, resizing images, contrast adjustment, cropping and of course for splicing Janet Reno's head onto that model's body. :unsure: