The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I've come into possession of Yrium's Breeder cache. It was of course the mama of my Viridian Queen cache. It used to be up in the Clevenger Canyon area off the 78. I think one breeder cache is all I can handle. It would be great if someone would adopt it and place it in a new area, perhaps somewhere with a bit more traffic. It's pretty big. A 50 caliber ammo box I think. I'd prefer if it was someone who remembers Yrium, and who will be willing to devote time to fetching the cache larva and replacing it in the cache. As you might recall, the Breeder cache didn't have the same scheme as the Viridian cache. It had only one larva, and you could place the larva anywhere as long as Yrium could reach it.

Parsa

Hi Parsa, I would be willing to adopt it! That was the first cache I ever found! Howewver, I didn't know Yrium so it would be better to bequeath it to one of Yrium's friends if possible.

Edited by TrailGators
Secret Passage to Hogsmeade.

You can find $8 waders at Big 5. 

Yuck, the Muck!!! Say hi to the Bat for me

The muck is the best part!!! :) GOOKY, MOOKY, SLURPY, GLURPY, STINKY STUFF. Say 'hi' to both bats AND enormous Crustacean's for me too!!!

BATS! Yikes :P

I'll have to dig out a wide brim hat to deflect the guano.

I had a positive "batty" experience over at Rocky Point; check out my Aug 21 2004 log.

Alligator Lizard and they do like to bite and hold on.

Good thing I didn't try to pick him up, then! (Somebody at the library was inadvertently carrying him around in an umbrella. Luckily he fell out OUTSIDE, but still in an inappropriate place, so I herded him into a box and took him to the little canyon out behind the building.)

But what you did not know is that.....

:rolleyes:  "We knew about the party!"  :lol: 

(I read the SD thread about an hour before the party!)

B) CaCrazyOne  B)

B) Figured you knew about it, that's why I posted on the thread. The southern part of me doesn't allow me to drop by unexpectedly. Had a lot of fun with it, the extra brainpower hanging about helped expedite the finding process.

Now the question is.... can you top "Lights After Sunset Evoke Resolution"?

That one took a little time!!!!

I am working on a super-cache RIGHT NOW!

Does Hudini (the magician) ring a bell.......It will B)

CaCrazyOne

Anyone know what kind of lizard this is?  I assume it's local...

To be exact, it's a Southern Alligator Lizard (Elgaria multicarinata) and is most likely to be the San Diego subspecies "webbii." So you can call it a San Diego Alligator Lizard (Elgaria multicarinata webbii).

Here he is:

San Diego Alligator Lizard

Here are all the San Diego reptiles and amphibians: SDNHM Reptiles and Amphibians

Here are California reptiles and amphibians: CaliforniaHerps

Parsa

emwebbiigl.jpg

Did you snap that photo or is it a photo similar to one you saw?

I took the picture myself, standing about eight or ten feet away. Fortunately, his sunning spot is well away from the actual cache location, but subsequent visitors to "Sit Awhile" should still be wary.

Edit to include relevant quote . . . ;)

Edited by idiosyncratic

fda0c1cc-02ac-47ac-a99b-1316cd46316f.jpg

Way to go $kimmer!

Looking back on your first few caches I knew then that you would be great. You were two dollars to the good on your first two caches.

Two-thousand by July 4th? Tell Mr. The Vulture to stop whining.

Your pal,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Trailgators and I are planning on doing the caches near Lake Elsinore and along/near route 74 to the West. The trip will probably involve some off-roading, but I don't know the condition of the roads and trails so 4WD may be needed.

If anyone is interested, you are welcome to join us. We plan to meet at 8:00 am on Saturday (3/12) at the Interstate 15 at El Norte Parkway park and ride. We can fit a couple in our vehicle if someone without 4WD wants to go.

Elsinore-Caches.jpg

Edit: For those who aren't familiar with GSAK waypoint tags, those funny looking waypoint names are just the standard GC waypoint names with the GC removed and two letters added to the front to designate cache type (T-Traditional, M-Micro) and container type (R-Regular, M-Micro). The number at the end is the terrain rating.

Edited by Rocket Man
Hey I think I need a new GPS unless someone can tell me if I can download waypoints into my Garmin etrex. 

It has little slots but what for?:D

Where do I get a cable?:)

If I need to get a new GPS any suggestions?

For those that use maps, does it help to have the map stuff on the GPS? I really would like to be totally paperless.

If you had an Etrex Legend or Etrex Vista then you you can load maps now if you buy a cable and mapping software. If you have the yellow Etrex you have to print maps. If you are going caching a lot you might want to upgrade at some point in time. Check out here first. If you do I upgrade I highly recommend the Garmin 60CS with City Select software. Armed with that you can punch in anywhere you want to go and the GPS will take you there! Even if you miss a turn it will find a new way there! It is awesome!

BTW, anybody get Country Discoveries magazine? In the Jan/Feb issue, pg 50-51, there is a spread on Queen Califia's Magical Circle in Kit Carson Park. If you haven't yet made it to KCP, you're missing a wonderous place. :D The Circle is kind of hidden away, (planned, I'm sure) so you need to follow the signs. There are a few caches that take you to/near the circle so you can "kill 2 birds..." :)

BTW, anybody get Country Discoveries magazine? In the Jan/Feb issue, pg 50-51, there is a spread on Queen Califia's Magical Circle in Kit Carson Park. If you haven't yet made it to KCP, you're missing a wonderous place. :) The Circle is kind of hidden away, (planned, I'm sure) so you need to follow the signs. There are a few caches that take you to/near the circle so you can "kill 2 birds..." :D

You can climb some ladders and slide down some snakes, too. Hehe. :)

Parsa

I picked up the Udesignit "You Name the Cacher" (tb) out of "It Came From Beneath the Sea" tonight. I name FlagMan ... I am a newbie cacher (just over a month) and have not met him, but I have done some of his caches "Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don’t Bush-vaak Here" wow what a cache (ingenious). I have seen his name everywhere I go and think, 'what he is doing with the "Yrium Memorial Cards" is great!' I looked through the names of the people who had cards and was surprised he (FlagMan) did not have one...well it is time to correct that [:)] Since I have not met FlagMan I ask the caching community to help design it...please forward your Ideas to FlagMan.

Thanks, Dave

Edited by GoBolt
I picked up the Udesignit "You Name the Cacher" (tb) out of "It Came From Beneath the Sea" tonight. I name FlagMan ... I am a newbie cacher (just over a month) and have not met him, but I have done some of his caches "Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don’t Bush-vaak Here" wow what a cache (ingenious). I have seen his name everywhere I go and think, 'what he is doing with the "Yrium Memorial Cards" is great!' I looked through the names of the people who had cards and was surprised he (FlagMan) did not have one...well it is time to correct that [:D] Since I have not met FlagMan I ask the caching community to help design it...please forward your Ideas to FlagMan.

Thanks, Dave

Well, I'm very flattered, but there is a FlagSon Andrew card already. So if you want to reconsider based on Andrew's card, feel free. If not, then I guess all I can say is Thanks! :) -FlagMan.

I picked up the Udesignit "You Name the Cacher" (tb) out of "It Came From Beneath the Sea" tonight.  I name FlagMan ... I am a newbie cacher (just over a month) and have not met him, but I have done some of his caches "Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don’t Bush-vaak Here" wow what a cache (ingenious).  I have seen his name everywhere I go and think, 'what he is doing with the "Yrium Memorial Cards" is great!'  I looked through the names of the people who had cards and was surprised he (FlagMan) did not have one...well it is time to correct that [:D]  Since I have not met FlagMan I ask the caching community to help design it...please forward your Ideas to FlagMan.

Thanks, Dave

Well, I'm very flattered, but there is a FlagSon Andrew card already. So if you want to reconsider based on Andrew's card, feel free. If not, then I guess all I can say is Thanks! :) -FlagMan.

FlagSon is your son...I would love for you to receive a card....Please :)

Well, this is not enitrely without precedent. After all, YP1 #13 was Yrium by Yrium. So I guess we should have a "Design The FlagMan Card" contest. Anyone who wants to submit a design, please do so by Sunday evening (if more time is needed, this can be extended on request). Same thing for the short quip on the reverse side. I'll figure a way to post these submittals and we'll have some sort of quick and dirty poll (does anyone out there have the ability to do a webpoll?), with GoBolt having the final say since it is his choice. Then I'll take it from there and get them printed up and out there. In case you don't have it, my e-mail address for submittals is tsayer1@san.rr.com. Maybe the submittals should go to GoBolt? I'll make sure he gets them if you send them to me.

Thanks! Can't wait to see how this works out! :D -FlagMan.

Hey I think I need a new GPS unless someone can tell me if I can download waypoints into my Garmin etrex.

It has little slots but what for?:D

Where do I get a cable?:D

If I need to get a new GPS any suggestions?

For those that use maps, does it help to have the map stuff on the GPS? I really would like to be totally paperless.

Hi Princess T,

I had an eTrex yellow for a couple of years (until it got stolen :):):D ), and it did me proud. You can't do any mapping on it, but apart from that it'll do everything you need for all but the most extreme caching adventures, where the 500 waypoint limit is too small.

To answer your questions:

1) The little slots under the rubber at the top are for a data connection cable - it uses the same connector as the higher eTrex models (Vista, Legend etc), it just doesn't come with the cable in the box.

2) I got cables off eBay for data transfer, and power from a car cigarette lighter socket (or you can get cables which combine the two). Anything which fits an eTrex Legend/Vista/Summit etc will fit the yellow eTrex too. Here's a quick ebay search to get you started.

3) Depends - Duscwe has lent me his spare Vista, which has barometric altimeter and electronic compass, but I don't think they're necessary unless you're a pilot or skydiver. When I upgrade (probably for my birthday in the summer), I think I'm going to get a Legend - does all the mapping, without the battery-draining compass/altimeter.

4) Having the mapping on the GPSr is quite nice, but not necessary for caching I don't think, especially if you plan ahead and check out locations online (mapquest and aerial photos). For car navigation, the basemap included with the unit is fairly basic, you wouldn't want to plan a major roadtrip on it. If you shell out for Mapsource maps or other topographical data it is more worthwhile, but that's another $80 or so.

I was totally paperless with an eTrex yellow for a couple of years, and it worked very well. Since I am in need of a new GPSr, I'll probably upgrade when I get one, but I was getting along very nicely with "just" my old yeller anyway.

Well, this is not enitrely without precedent. After all, YP1 #13 was Yrium by Yrium. So I guess we should have a "Design The FlagMan Card" contest. Anyone who wants to submit a design, please do so by Sunday evening (if more time is needed, this can be extended on request). Same thing for the short quip on the reverse side. I'll figure a way to post these submittals and we'll have some sort of quick and dirty poll (does anyone out there have the ability to do a webpoll?), with GoBolt having the final say since it is his choice. Then I'll take it from there and get them printed up and out there. In case you don't have it, my e-mail address for submittals is tsayer1@san.rr.com. Maybe the submittals should go to GoBolt? I'll make sure he gets them if you send them to me.

Thanks! Can't wait to see how this works out! :D -FlagMan.

Thanks FlagMan however comma I think the final decision should be yours or a vote from the San Diego Cachers...I am new and do not know much about you... i.e. photos...inside jokes etc.

If you shell out for Mapsource maps or other topographical data it is more worthwhile, but that's another $80 or so.

Dr. B -

Thanks for the good info.

What are these producsts about and how can they help me cache?

Do you need internet access for these prodcuts or can they stand alone (as on a lap top when I travel?)

I've used mapquest and topo maps online but just the free stuff.

I picked up the Udesignit "You Name the Cacher" (tb) out of "It Came From Beneath the Sea" tonight. I name FlagMan ... I am a newbie cacher (just over a month) and have not met him, but I have done some of his caches "Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don’t Bush-vaak Here" wow what a cache (ingenious). I have seen his name everywhere I go and think, 'what he is doing with the "Yrium Memorial Cards" is great!' I looked through the names of the people who had cards and was surprised he (FlagMan) did not have one...well it is time to correct that [:)] Since I have not met FlagMan I ask the caching community to help design it...please forward your Ideas to FlagMan.

Thanks, Dave

Excellent choice Gobolt!!

$kimmer and I were thinking the same thing, but we never could get the tbug in our hands! (puzzle challenged). Nobody deserves it more!

AND.....Congratulations to the other half of the Geobabes on her 1500th find!!

I was with her when she found it, so we celebrated with lunch at Chilis! Of coarse, we celebrate almost every cache at Chilis>>>>>>>

If you shell out for Mapsource maps or other topographical data it is more worthwhile, but that's another $80 or so.

Dr. B -

Do you need internet access for these prodcuts or can they stand alone (as on a lap top when I travel?)

Mapsource is Garmin's mapping software, including topographic data (hills etc!) - they also do more urban-centric ones which are better for street navigation. There's a PC program you can install, and download data from your GPSr to your computer and vice versa, so you can map out a route you want to take and send waypoints to the GPSr, or look at the track you made while on a hike or whatever. If you get a mapping GPSr (Legend/Vista etc), you can upload the map data from Mapsource into your unit, to give you more detailed mapping than the generic basemap which comes pre-loaded into the GPSr. Here's Garmin's cartography page.

National Geographic also have a topo program (for Mac or PC), I haven't tried it so I don't know how it works, but I think Parsa has it. Here's the link.

Both of these will load as standalone applications on your computer, so you would be able to put them on a laptop without needing internet access. As for how they'll help you cache, with Mapsource you can add more information to your GPSr (though beware if it's not up to date!), and with both you can plan your routes to caches before hitting the road/trail.

Dr. B -

Here is a quick summary of GPS features:

Electronic Compass: Always points at the cache even if you turn your body. If you don't have this feature you will have to walk about 10-15 feet in a straight-line to get the pointer to align properly whenever you change directions.

Altimeter: This tells you your altitude but is bascially a worthless feature for most people. Most GPS's already give you a rough idea of you altitude by triangulating.

Mapping: If you don't have this feature you can't load maps into your GPS and you will have to use paper maps.

Mapping with Auto-Routing: If you don't have this feature you will have to plan your trips and manually upload routes to your GPS from your PC. If you travel a lot you should probably get a GPS with this capability.

Trailgators and I are planning on doing the caches near Lake Elsinore and along/near route 74 to the West.  The trip will probably involve some off-roading, but I don't know the condition of the roads and trails so 4WD may be needed.

Is this still on?? One Blonde would like to go...I will be there by 8am....if you leave the park and ride at 7:55....I'll understand.

PS....look out...we just ordered a Palm.....we're going paperless!! :(

Edited by blonds run amuck
Trailgators and I are planning on doing the caches near Lake Elsinore and along/near route 74 to the West.  The trip will probably involve some off-roading, but I don't know the condition of the roads and trails so 4WD may be needed.

Is this still on?? One Blonde would like to go...I will be there by 8am....if you leave the park and ride at 7:55....I'll understand.

The trip is still on. Right now it looks like Trailgators and I will be driving up with TT. The Geobabes will be driving up in Splashette's Toyota and Parsa will probably be joining us as well, driving up in his Xterra. If you want to join us in our cachemobile, we can fit one more, or you can follow us up. If you have an FRS, bring it along. We will use ch 10, subcode 34. I have extra radios if someone needs to borrow. RM

Oh good for you. What did you get? Did you get one on eBay, or did you go "retail?"

Edit to add relevant quote . . . too slow . . . :(

Edited by idiosyncratic

Oh good for you. What did you get? Did you get one on eBay, or did you go "retail?"

Edit to add relevant quote . . . too slow . . . :(

It's a PalmZire21...what ever that is. I bought on-line, Amazon.com. If I used thier credit card there was a $30 rebate....so for $64.95 I'm in. I tried E-Bay and got out bid time after time. Cachemate is next.

I used that Amazon $30.00 rebate to get the cigarette lighter adapter for my Garmin eTrex. Didn't cost me a penny . . . :(

I've been trying to figure out GSAK to work with Cachemate. After hours and hours, ;) I'm finally getting the hang of it.

Have fun going "paperless." :(

The trip is still on. Right now it looks like Trailgators and I will be driving up with TT. The Geobabes will be driving up in Splashette's Toyota and Parsa will probably be joining us as well, driving up in his Xterra. If you want to join us in our cachemobile, we can fit one more, or you can follow us up. If you have an FRS, bring it along. We will use ch 10, subcode 34. I have extra radios if someone needs to borrow. RM

I'll be driving up in my Xterra.....making a quick trip up to Big Bear after cache-a-thon.....so I'll drive up to Lake Elsinore and maybe hitch a ride from there. See you all that the Park-n-Ride.....I'll bring a radio.

I just got all juiced up with my 60CS and the City Select maps today. This is not fair -- it's got to be cheating big time! The little box of tricks now tells me turn-by-turn how to get to the cache! How do it know??? You can just type in an address and it will take you there. Its all pure magic to me.... :(

I just got all juiced up with my 60CS and the City Select maps today.  This is not fair -- it's got to be cheating big time!  The little box of tricks now tells me turn-by-turn how to get to the cache!  How do it know???  You can just type in an address and it will take you there.  Its all pure magic to me.... :(

It's awesome, isn't it Tom! Next time you are caching and need to stop for lunch do a find for nearest restaurants, choose your spot and hit the "Go To" button!.....Turn left here..turn right there...butta bing...it's chow time baby!!! :(

Edit: I think I've been watching too much Dick Vitale lately! But March Madness is upon us! ;)

Edited by TrailGators
I just got all juiced up with my 60CS and the City Select maps today. This is not fair -- it's got to be cheating big time! The little box of tricks now tells me turn-by-turn how to get to the cache! How do it know??? You can just type in an address and it will take you there. Its all pure magic to me.... :(

Ours (60C) just came today too. It is our anniversary present to each other. Romantic, huh! :(