The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Does anyone have any recommendations for combining a few caches with shortish hikes to check out wildflowers in Anza Borrego? We're probably going out there on Saturday, and if I could accidentally take us to a place with a good showing of wildflowers *and* a few caches, that would be cool......

I thought Gloretta Canyon was very nice, check out the link:

Gloretta Canyon

D!

Does anyone have any recommendations for combining a few caches with shortish hikes to check out wildflowers in Anza Borrego? We're probably going out there on Saturday, and if I could accidentally take us to a place with a good showing of wildflowers *and* a few caches, that would be cool......

Gloretta Canyon

D!

Thanks Duncan,

Is it accessible with a 2WD? How much of a walk is it? (I'd be happy with 10 miles, but certain other members of the party may not be.....)

I wanted to thank K-NIC for all the new caches nearby! Too bad a. the notify bot just now notified me and b. there are so many cachers desperate enough to FTF in the pouring rain! :)

What what what? Notify bot?

Do you mean the weekly email of new caches in your area, or the planned instant notification of a new cache? I didn't think the latter had been activated yet?

I wanted to thank K-NIC for all the new caches nearby!  Too bad a. the notify bot just now notified me and b. there are so many cachers desperate enough to FTF in the pouring rain!  :)

What what what? Notify bot?

Do you mean the weekly email of new caches in your area, or the planned instant notification of a new cache? I didn't think the latter had been activated yet?

And of course it hasn't. I just got the weekly email myself. It will be nice (and even more competitive for FTFs, if that's possible) when the instant notifications start up!

Gloretta Canyon

D!

Thanks Duncan,

Is it accessible with a 2WD? How much of a walk is it? (I'd be happy with 10 miles, but certain other members of the party may not be.....)

It seemed okay for a 2WD, short hike (.30) to the cache, if you find the right wash... If you do the Gloretta cache, don't go to the end of the road, look for a wash on the left.

D!

I may be heading up to Anza on Saturday. The GF likes the flowers and there's still a few caches to get.

I was very curious about this cache:

Burro Condo by TR Violin

(GCJ0MR)

GeckoDad tried looking for it back in December. It was toward the end of the day. So I don't know how if his daylight affected the DNF. There's a dry lake on the way out there- I hope it's still dry.

Any thoughts-TR, Don?

I may be heading up to Anza on Saturday. The GF likes the flowers and there's still a few caches to get.

I was very curious about this cache:

Burro Condo by TR Violin

(GCJ0MR)

GeckoDad tried looking for it back in December. It was toward the end of the day. So I don't know how if his daylight affected the DNF. There's a dry lake on the way out there- I hope it's still dry.

Any thoughts-TR, Don?

Long bouncy 10-mile or so one-way ride. Last mile before you park and hike can be an adventure, even for 4WD. Not sure if the lake is flooded. It can be at times. Site is easy enough to find. I looked pretty thoroughly for some time. Cache may still be around or it may have been muggled and/or confiscated due to proximity to the archaelogical site. Rock House Canyon is quite colorful beyond Hidden Spring and an easy, flat walk in the lower sections.

-Don

NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH

Seems Harmon was trying to keep up with TT today. Found himself on top of a 10' ladder out at the Ranch, got down the FAST way, fell. Broke his ankle. Dragged himself back to town and to his Doctor's office, only to be told he needed to go to emergency. Got fed up with the authorities, so took himself home, to bed. That's where Sandy, his wife, found him when she showed up for lunch. She ate, when back to work. Then rethought it, returned home, dragged he to emergency where they put him through the obligatory misery of X-rays, manipulation, etc. He is now home, and humble.

Only wish I had more control over this infernal machine, you guys would get quite a kick out of the cheesecake shot of his cast.

Oh the humanity!

My archived and removed Do They Hate Me? cache was headed back to me via the pizza event and 13 cachers signed the log book!  Only one logged a find (as of yet) and I promptly busted them (in the nicest manner).

So who thought a Dan-oh cache rated at 4/3 would just walk up to you while you were drinking a beer?!  Not a chance.  I will never happen.  For that, you must ALL pay.  I will call the locust to descend upon you and your, um, wait. 

OK, I'll make a really mean and nasty cache and you'll have to find it.

So there.  B)

We are sorry....tigger's mango and I assumed this was some sort of avante-garde cache (a la Christos?) as I have, myself, become a travel bug...and we signed the log. I apologize and we will not try to log this as a find. Please do not think of us as infidels, but simply as newbies with an over-developed sense of artistry...bravo maestro and we look forward to finding your cachces in their intended locales! ;)

Edited by Gobolt

Oh no! I HATE this Thread! I keep getting in trouble here. Don't know how I did it, but posted a notice about Harmon, of SDRowdies and Sandy Creek Cowboy fame, breaking his leg today. Somehow, I started a NEW forum. Please see that listing for particulars. Can anybody get that notice over here, to the Thread? Help!

We're heading out to A-B in the morning. Don't know yet where we'll be out there. Maybe we'll see some of you out there. ;)

Take our advise.....if it's made of clay and it looks wet...don't go there. We learned the hard way..... and I'd suggest don't go on anything near the Truckhaven Trail. Clarke's dry lake wasn't very dry this past Sunday. A good place to see flowers with no off road activity (but what fun is that)....go east out of Borrego approx 7 miles past the Airport. Turn Left on Peg Leg Mine Road...That area is full of flowers.

We are sorry....tigger's mango and I assumed this was some sort of avante-garde cache (a la Christos?) as I have, myself, become a travel bug...and we signed the log. I apologize and we will not try to log this as a find. Please do not think of us as infidels, but simply as newbies with an over-developed sense of artistry...bravo maestro and we look forward to finding your cachces in their intended locales! ;)

All is fair in Love and Caching......Its not too often that a cache comes to you so Hey, if there is a log book, we're gonna sign in. Call us infidels, call us "Blonds"....or just call us. B)

Speaking of Escondido, I think more of you need some night caching fun:

"Lights After Sunset Evoke Resolution". Where've you been Night Hunter?

Parsa

I want to do this cache tonight (Friday Feb 25)...

Anybody wanna go along? I also have pretty much no finds that far North so I would love to add some easy-to-grab, number-upping caches. Any suggestions?

Harmon!!!! Sorry to hear about the leg. Hope all goes back together well...

Seems Harmon was trying to keep up with TT today. Found himself on top of a 10' ladder out at the Ranch, got down the FAST way, fell. Broke his ankle. Dragged himself back to town and to his Doctor's office, only to be told he needed to go to emergency. Got fed up with the authorities, so took himself home, to bed. That's where Sandy, his wife, found him when she showed up for lunch. She ate, when back to work. Then rethought it, returned home, dragged he to emergency where they put him through the obligatory misery of X-rays, manipulation, etc. He is now home, and humble.

Only wish I had more control over this infernal machine, you guys would get quite a kick out of the cheesecake shot of his cast.

;) OH NO HARMON!!! I don't know of an appropriate cowboy response but I hope you're up and about soon! Oh wait, how about this: guess you'll have a bit of hitch in your getalong for awhile.... how's that?

Hey Dr. Boggis -

The wife and I were out to A-B last Monday, and while you may already have the caches in this area, we can highly recommend the Palm Canyon hike for the wildflowers - they are absolutely everywhere! And of course the stream is running at full force, so the waterfalls are at their best right now as well. We took a slew of pictures - if you'd like to see some examples just email me and I'll shoot some off to you. It's still a bit early for the cactus - some of the ocotillo have bright red blooms at their tips and the barrels may have one or two blooms, but I don't think you'll get a better wildflower display than what's happening right now.

We took Finnegan, our geopup in training along, intending to exercise his desert legs, but much to our surprise and dismay, the Palm Canyon hike is a posted No Dogs area ;) , so Finnegan had to veg out in the van and we only hiked as far as the first waterfall. Good thing it was a cool day or we would have had to look for a place where Finnegan could go along and would have missed a really spectacular hike.

By the way, Finnegan is now Redwinds Highland Spirit CD, HCT. He earned his AKC Companion Dog Obedience Title at the end of November in Yuma and earned his first herding title from the American Herding Breed Association two Sundays ago in Jamul...and today is his eleven month birthday! The weather and my job have put a real damper on both his training and my caching, but I expect to be out on the trail before too much longer and we're hoping to enter Finnegan in further Obedience and herding trials in March or April and also in Rally trials by then. We might also start him training in Agility after his first birthday.

By the way, if any of you own a herding breed dog and have ever wondered if he or she has the herding instinct, we found a woman in Jamul who is quite an expert at evaluating your dog's potential and training both you and the dog. Finnegan won his first title after only three training sessions. Let me know if you'd like to see what your dog can do and I'll give you her email address. It's really quite an experience to see your dog's herding instincts kick in - Finnegan is a total wuss around the house, but get him into a ring with those sheep and suddenly he's a whole nuther animal - absolutely amazing!

Peace to all -

Radical Geezer

Seems Harmon was trying to keep up with TT today. Found himself on top of a 10' ladder out at the Ranch, got down the FAST way, fell. Broke his ankle....

Ouch! B) That must be you in the YMS #3 card -- the one Carpenter is talking to! Get well soon! ;)

Hey Dr. Boggis -

The wife and I were out to A-B last Monday, and while you may already have the caches in this area, we can highly recommend the Palm Canyon hike for the wildflowers - they are absolutely everywhere! And of course the stream is running at full force, so the waterfalls are at their best right now as well. We took a slew of pictures - if you'd like to see some examples just email me and I'll shoot some off to you. It's still a bit early for the cactus - some of the ocotillo have bright red blooms at their tips and the barrels may have one or two blooms, but I don't think you'll get a better wildflower display than what's happening right now.

We took Finnegan, our geopup in training along, intending to exercise his desert legs, but much to our surprise and dismay, the Palm Canyon hike is a posted No Dogs area ;) , so Finnegan had to veg out in the van and we only hiked as far as the first waterfall. Good thing it was a cool day or we would have had to look for a place where Finnegan could go along and would have missed a really spectacular hike.

By the way, Finnegan is now Redwinds Highland Spirit CD, HCT. He earned his AKC Companion Dog Obedience Title at the end of November in Yuma and earned his first herding title from the American Herding Breed Association two Sundays ago in Jamul...and today is his eleven month birthday! The weather and my job have put a real damper on both his training and my caching, but I expect to be out on the trail before too much longer and we're hoping to enter Finnegan in further Obedience and herding trials in March or April and also in Rally trials by then. We might also start him training in Agility after his first birthday.

By the way, if any of you own a herding breed dog and have ever wondered if he or she has the herding instinct, we found a woman in Jamul who is quite an expert at evaluating your dog's potential and training both you and the dog. Finnegan won his first title after only three training sessions. Let me know if you'd like to see what your dog can do and I'll give you her email address. It's really quite an experience to see your dog's herding instincts kick in - Finnegan is a total wuss around the house, but get him into a ring with those sheep and suddenly he's a whole nuther animal - absolutely amazing!

Peace to all -

Radical Geezer

I'll second what Radical Geezer said about Palm Canyon. We were out there a week ago and the wild flowers were all over. There are at least two caches within .6 of the trail head. Go through the camping area up the hill to the end of the road. There is a large area to park and the flowers start right there.

Speaking of Escondido, I think more of you need some night caching fun:

"Lights After Sunset Evoke Resolution". Where've you been Night Hunter?

Parsa

I want to do this cache tonight (Friday Feb 25)...

Anybody wanna go along? I also have pretty much no finds that far North so I would love to add some easy-to-grab, number-upping caches. Any suggestions?

Harmon!!!! Sorry to hear about the leg. Hope all goes back together well...

Sounds like a good hunt to us. Sent seperate email to coordinate if you want.