The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Well folks, this fella has made the jump across the Pacific to the great land of 177 caches in a 600 mile radius. I've left behind 3 caches - one of which appears dead, so will archive unless someone wants to pick it up (Dead End! is the name.) DevHead, I'll still drop Shopping! to you and will contact SoCal to get the process moving iffin you don't mind.

Thanks folks for all the fun caching in San Diego - even if I've had to take much leave of absence in the last month.

NomadVW

Well folks, this fella has made the jump across the Pacific to the great land of 177 caches in a 600 mile radius. I've left behind 3 caches - one of which appears dead, so will archive unless someone wants to pick it up (Dead End! is the name.) DevHead, I'll still drop Shopping! to you and will contact SoCal to get the process moving iffin you don't mind.

Thanks folks for all the fun caching in San Diego - even if I've had to take much leave of absence in the last month.

NomadVW

NomadVW,

Good luck to you and yours.

Hope your next duty station is somewhat peaceful.

Keep us posted here in San Diego.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

NomadVW

NomadVW,

Sorry we didn't get to meet before you left. I'll be happy to adopt Shopping! and keep the cache going. Best wishes for you while out of country. I do hope you get a chance to bag some of those 177 caches around you and more than a few moments to join us here in the forums.

GCMRYJ 'Do they hate me?' has just been submitted.  Approvals have been quick so keep and eye on the link. 

So can you tell us the sordid tale of this cache (without spoilers in case you re-use the cache somewhere else)? :laughing:

I doubt I'll be able to reuse the cache in its same configuration but we'll see the concept again. Lets just say that this type of location has been used before in both Los Angeles and in San Diego counties.

Best I can tell, TT was spotted going into or leaving the cache location. He was challenged and asked to remove the cache. I suppose that take alone revokes any permissionion, implied or otherwise. I have doubt about the city worker's line of "per city regulations, no one is supposed to be down there" as it seems conveniently vague.

There's nothing to gain but unwanted attention by challenging it. Subterfuge is much easier...and more fun.

It was my shortest lived cache, just under 48 hrs. :laughing:

Best I can tell, TT was spotted going into or leaving the cache location.  He was challenged and asked to remove the cache.  I suppose that take alone revokes any permissionion, implied or otherwise.  I have doubt about the city worker's line of "per city regulations, no one is supposed to be down there" as it seems conveniently vague. 

Well...here's the first-hand account:

Basically I had spotted the cache and was coming up out of the area (for those of you who've been to the site, you know where I was) and was headed to the egde of the road to get a better look, when the city facilities worker and an Escondido cop asked me what I was doing down there. I believe I surprised them, as they were walking towards me from somewhere unrelated to the cache area. Proabably they were just checking on something else when I got unlucky and was asked to explain my actions. Well, not wanting to run for it, I explained about the cache and where it was. They asked to see it. I said I'd need help to retrieve it. Facilites guy was kind enough to help in this regards. They examined the cache and satisfied that there was nothing nefarious, they proceeded to cite city regulations about no trespassing in this type of area, as it should logically be "off-limits". I countered their gambit with the usual, "but I didn't see any signs, officer". Before I could cite loose vs. strict constructionalist interpreations of the law, the officer gently asked me to remove it from the area and then remove myself from said area. I obliged not wanting to deal with Escondido's "justice" folk anymore than necessary. (FlagMan can back me up on this point I'm sure and no offense to GRNZOOM intended).

So that's basically what happened. All in all the most fun I've had caching with the police since my run in with the NYPD last month. I just can't seem to get the fuzz to leave me and this hobby alone! :laughing:

--TT--

P.S. Hope everyone is having a very Happy Arizona Statehood Day!

Hey everyone. Me and the family will be in San Diego next week, visiting from Bellevue, WA. Most of our trip will be the usual touristy stuff, but we'll also do a little caching. Could some of you be kind enough to post some recommended caches for us? I'm hoping for recommendations for caches that are at least one of the following:

1. Particularly interesting to 4- and 5- year old children.

2. Take us to a scenic or interesting spot not usually found by casual tourists.

3. Provide good wildlife viewing.

4. Have a round-trip walk of definitely no more than a mile, preferably a little less, given our overall time constraints.

Feel free to Markwell me if appropriate. I tried to search for this but could not find a way to search for specific posts in the San Diego thread.

Thanks for your time.

I wasn't able to get anyone to hate me with my latest/shortest cache but I did recieve some fan mail. Actually, it was the polite equivalent of a flaming bag of crap on at my front door. Thanks to Drew5.10, PQcachers and The Senior Sleuths to something I haven't been brave enough to sample.

Absolutely hilarious!

310852ce-b4b7-4348-8cfc-f16a7cf4ab4e.jpg

18f57252-1680-49ea-b08c-bfa44ecdfd43.jpg

184da3b9-6506-4ec4-8a67-a989011b6fe3.jpg

It nearly made my 9 year old loose her lunch till I told her it was chocolate.

Hey everyone. Me and the family will be in San Diego next week, visiting from Bellevue, WA. Most of our trip will be the usual touristy stuff, but we'll also do a little caching. Could some of you be kind enough to post some recommended caches for us? I'm hoping for recommendations for caches that are at least one of the following:

2. Take us to a scenic or interesting spot not usually found by casual tourists.

4. Have a round-trip walk of definitely no more than a mile, preferably a little less, given our overall time constraints.

This cache should work for 1,2, and 4.

I have put this out many times, and I still stand by it. The single cache every cacher/tourist should do when coming to San Diego is A Tuna View of San Diego.

You will see great views of San Diego, and with a little planning, you can do much caching in the areas surrounding each stop.

3. Provide good wildlife viewing.

Feel free to Markwell me if appropriate. I tried to search for this but could not find a way to search for specific posts in the San Diego thread.

Thanks for your time.

The visitor's loop trail at mission trails regional park is a nice walk with several caches along the way.

the pathfinder

fattboy's first

can u c me

no floppy snakes here

visitor's welcome

let us cache

stuck on you

i'm not sure how long the hike is but our 7 and 3 year-olds had no problem.

if you're going to be here before saturday, check out http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d0-e160067aebf3 and come meet some local cachers.

have fun!

I wasn't able to get anyone to hate me with my latest/shortest cache but I did recieve some fan mail. Actually, it was the polite equivalent of a flaming bag of crap on at my front door. Thanks to Drew5.10, PQcachers and The Senior Sleuths to something I haven't been brave enough to sample.

Absolutely hilarious!

:) who, me??? ;)

Absolutely hilarious!

310852ce-b4b7-4348-8cfc-f16a7cf4ab4e.jpg

18f57252-1680-49ea-b08c-bfa44ecdfd43.jpg

184da3b9-6506-4ec4-8a67-a989011b6fe3.jpg

Way t' go! ... Drew5.10, PQcachers an' Th' Senior Sleuths.

Us ol' cowboys are thinkin' that Pqmommy and momma Senior Sleuth picked up some fiesty habits when they did most of th' Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches a week or two ago. Hangin' 'round ol' cowboys will do that y' know.

First clue was that momma Senior Sleuth went caching last month in Orlando, Florida with $kimmer. Go fig're.

Looks like we've got a couple of good candidates for our growin' posse of Sandy Creek Cowgirls.

Yeehaw!

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Best I can tell, TT was spotted going into or leaving the cache location.  He was challenged and asked to remove the cache.  I suppose that take alone revokes any permissionion, implied or otherwise.  I have doubt about the city worker's line of "per city regulations, no one is supposed to be down there" as it seems conveniently vague. 

Well...here's the first-hand account:

Basically I had spotted the cache and was coming up out of the area (for those of you who've been to the site, you know where I was) and was headed to the egde of the road to get a better look, when the city facilities worker and an Escondido cop asked me what I was doing down there. I believe I surprised them, as they were walking towards me from somewhere unrelated to the cache area. Proabably they were just checking on something else when I got unlucky and was asked to explain my actions. Well, not wanting to run for it, I explained about the cache and where it was. They asked to see it. I said I'd need help to retrieve it. Facilites guy was kind enough to help in this regards. They examined the cache and satisfied that there was nothing nefarious, they proceeded to cite city regulations about no trespassing in this type of area, as it should logically be "off-limits". I countered their gambit with the usual, "but I didn't see any signs, officer". Before I could cite loose vs. strict constructionalist interpreations of the law, the officer gently asked me to remove it from the area and then remove myself from said area. I obliged not wanting to deal with Escondido's "justice" folk anymore than necessary. (FlagMan can back me up on this point I'm sure and no offense to GRNZOOM intended).

So that's basically what happened. All in all the most fun I've had caching with the police since my run in with the NYPD last month. I just can't seem to get the fuzz to leave me and this hobby alone! ;)

--TT--

P.S. Hope everyone is having a very Happy Arizona Statehood Day!

TT is what we call a 925 subject. "suspicious person".

We know that call was right! He is suspect at times.

My though is the city worker saw a 925 (TT) enter the area and called for PD back up.

Good thinking on the city workers part. A few years ago we did have a homicide and the victim was dumped about 200 yds. south the the cache.

You never know...

We were there sometime after the cache was removed.

Sharon waited on the sidewalk for me. I made it down, looked for about 5 mins. and decided I could use some help.

When I got on the sidewalk Sharon said, "let's get outta here." Some guy was watching me from the parking lot. He was hidding behing cars trying to see what I was up to. He didn't look too friendly.

We got out of there before the cops came again.

Which is a good thing. I don't know to many officers hired within the last eight years.

Now.... we want to hear Flagman's story.

Nick

Now.... we want to hear Flagman's story.....

The day will come, but you will have to be patient for a while....

Oh, oh! I know the story, but I can't tell, it's a secret :mad:

New puzzle coming out soon, hoping it will challenge the pros....

Could be a couple of weeks....

We'll see....

D!

Put your hands together and give a big round of applause from the peanut galleries for San Diego's first 2K cachers, Splashman and Splashette!.  They went over the 2K mark today and settled in at a comfortable 2008!

It's a looooong way to 3K, though.

--TT--

Congrats on the plunge over 2K to the Splash Clan!

SamIaminca

Put your hands together and give a big round of applause from the peanut galleries for San Diego's first 2K cachers, Splashman and Splashette!. They went over the 2K mark today and settled in at a comfortable 2008!

--TT--

Nice work there, Splashers!

D!

Put your hands together and give a big round of applause from the peanut galleries for San Diego's first 2K cachers, Splashman and Splashette!. They went over the 2K mark today and settled in at a comfortable 2008!

--TT--

Gee Jeff, I just noticed you're only a couple of MTRP caches from 2K yourself! :mad:

--TT--

Splashman & Splashette,

Well that rips it, two-thousand cache finds. Good goin' you two.

Y'r nuts y' know but keep pullin' ol' $kimmer along b'hind y'.

No doubt Splashette will now retire from th' hunt and settle in with a freezer full o' Bonbons.

So for 2001 may I suggest cowboy No. 7? Do it and we'll buy y' lunch at th' Acorn so's we can bask in y'r glory.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all of the congrats!

However, it ONLY took us 3 yrs. and 4 months to do that many!!

Most of you cache at a much faster pace, so it won't be long before........

I guess we have found 'a ton' of caches!

If we retire and eat BonBons like the Cowboys suggested, we'll weigh a ton~

Don't want that to happen, so we'll see you on the trails!

Thanks again!

Splashman & Splashette

WOW! Check out the new features! Now there is an IGNORE LIST! I wonder if I can add certain in-laws and the really pesky neighbor to this list? :huh::huh::mad:

Ignore Listing:

This is a private, confidential listing for those locations you do not want to show up on your search results. By default this is not a shared list so it will not be available for others to view. The owner of the listing will also not see that you are ignoring it.

Once you have added the item to your ignore list you can filter it out using the advanced search options and in Pocket Queries.

WOW!  Check out the new features!  Now there is an IGNORE LIST!  I wonder if I can add certain in-laws and the really pesky neighbor to this list?  :huh:  :huh:  :mad:

Ignore Listing:

This is a private, confidential listing for those locations you do not want to show up on your search results. By default this is not a shared list so it will not be available for others to view. The owner of the listing will also not see that you are ignoring it.

Once you have added the item to your ignore list you can filter it out using the advanced search options and in Pocket Queries.

Check out the image for the "Resources" link.

What does it look like to you :P ? I must have a dirty mind today, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

Congrats Splashman and Splashette on your 2K.

WOW! Check out the new features! Now there is an IGNORE LIST! I wonder if I can add certain in-laws and the really pesky neighbor to this list? :huh::huh::mad:

Ignore Listing:

I guess we wont be calling them Big Green anymore. :P

Check out the image for the "Resources" link.

What does it look like to you :rolleyes:  ?  I must have a dirty mind today, but it's the first thing I thought of when I saw it.

Congrats Splashman and Splashette on your 2K.

Dunno about the "dirty mind" but it sure does looks like a gamete to me. Its all really quite strange.

resources_sub.gifinto the incubator sub_getstarted.gifequals offspring sub_myaccount.gif