The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

That's a Doc file download. Not all word processors and text readers read these files, just like your PC probably can't view a PICT image.

Sorry but I disagree. 99% of people can read a Doc file. Plus doc files are very easy to edit/customize to fit your specific needs. Plus the person that made that log included all the Geocaching verbiage, which was a nice bonus! Most logs I've seen don't include that stuff! :)

Anyhow, it looks like the rain has killed caching for me this weekend. Rather than hike through mud, I'm going take advantage of the crappy weather and catchup on a ton of chores I've been blowing off (because of caching). :)

I was fortunate to have an opportunity to accompany Rider South last Sunday on a hike to his former home "Yaquitepec" on Ghost Mountain, south of Blair Valley. Rider is Marshall South's oldest son. He celebrated his 71st birthday the day before our hike. Without a doubt, one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

This event was a fund raiser organized by the Anza Borrego Foundation. They plan to make a new interpretive film to be shown at the park visitor center theater (Borrego Springs, near Palm Canyon), taking advantage of Rider's first hand knowledge and memories.

This outing and a series of lectures in Borrego Springs and around San Diego are part of a promotion of Diana Lindsay's new book "Marshall South and the Ghost Mountain Chronicles", Sunbelt Press, 2005. Highly recommended. It includes vintage photos and all of Marshall's articles for Desert Magazine.

Rider, his wife Lucille, and Diana will be at the Escondido library on Monday evening, 6:00-8:00 pm for the last of the lectures. The slide show Diana has put together is remarkable as are Rider's commentaries. Address: 239 Kalmia Street, Escondido.

Here's a pointer to my photo spread of the hike.

http://www.geocities.com/dlejr/ridersouthh...005/index1.html

-Gecko Dad

Edited by Team Gecko
Great photos. How'd you get the scoop on the hike up there?

Parsa-

Regarding the Rider South hike, I lucked out and saw a poster outside the Park Visitor Center back in early January before a trek up the trail toward Villager Peak. A bit pricey but I figured it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I have since joined the ABF and now get their event mailers.

-GD

I went up to Daley Ranch and found the Bobcat Trail cache. It was not missing. I also got the Dailey Delights cache.

... and I placed a brand new cache with the oh so original name of Engelmann Oak Trail (GCMMDM). When it's approved it will be here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCMMDM

Parsa

Thanks Parsa! Now I can get two up there tomorrow! I guess it was worth waiting a day! :o

I went up to Daley Ranch and found the Bobcat Trail cache. It was not missing. I also got the Dailey Delights cache.

... and I placed a brand new cache with the oh so original name of Engelmann Oak Trail (GCMMDM). When it's approved it will be here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCMMDM

Parsa

Thanks Parsa! Now I can get two up there tomorrow! I guess it was worth waiting a day! :P

I went up to Daley early this morning. I found Dailey Delight and I got an extra bonus by finding Parsa's new cache that he placed there yesterday! Anyhow on the way out, I decided to place a new cache along the Cougar Ridge trail! It called "Cougar Ridge Trail." Parsa, like you I come up with some very creative cache names too! :)

Edited by TrailGators

Saturday or Sunday February 5th or 6th

I planned a little trip to the In-Ko-Pah area with the guy who placed a cache up there called Paxton’s Vacation Villa (GCHK89). There were a few people who tried to find the cache but came up empty. So Gershon and I talked about going up there and checking on the cache.

If anyone else would like to head up there too that would be great. There's a few other caches and I'd like to plant some too.

RearView

GCF448

Thinking of You

GCG460

Smuggler’s Cave

GCE070

From a mission to Iraq and more!

GCKY0E

Gould or Gold (My cache)

GCKJ8W

Paxton’s Vacation Villa

GCHK89

Dave

Are all of those wire connected to our TT tracking devices?

[i planned a little trip to the In-Ko-Pah area with the guy who placed a cache up there called Paxton’s Vacation Villa (GCHK89). There were a few people who tried to find the cache but came up empty. So Gershon and I talked about going up there and checking on the cache. ]

The trip to In-Ko-Pah sounds very FUN! We would be game for a road trip, but since we're traveling with kids it might be smarter for us to meet you somewhere along the way (so we don't slow ya down). Yeeee haw!

If anyone wants more details about what happened to TT, check his profile page.....but not while eating - viewer discretion is advised!

Okay, I had to look ...

And he's out and about caching again?!?

In the interests of fairness, that's not actually Jeff's elbow, just a representative sample of the type of work that was done.

That being said, the picture's particularly repulsive.

I saw this on Sign-On San Diego.

My first thought, was it a Geocache?

SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES

9:56 a.m. February 1, 2005

SAN DIEGO – Students and staff at Pacific Beach Middle School were evacuated today after a suspicious box was found in bushes on campus, San Diego police said.

The box was discovered at 4676 Ingraham Street just before 9 a.m., police spokesperson David Cohen said.

The police department's Arson Strike Team was sent to the school, Cohen said.

Ingraham Street was closed to traffic between Diamond and Felspar streets, Cohen said.

It was unclear when students and staff would be allowed back into the school, and when the streets would reopen, Cohen said.

SAN DIEGO – Students and staff at Pacific Beach Middle School were evacuated today after a suspicious box was found in bushes on campus, San Diego police said.

Is SlideRule placing another cache again??? :rolleyes:

And yes that is not my elbow, but the doc said it was a close approximation of what I did do. I figured I should share it anyways. Sorry about everyone's lunches.

And I have decided on the next victim for FlagMan's Yrium Memorial series card #3

The winner is......................

</drumroll>

The Sandy Creek Cowboys!

The box was discovered at 4676 Ingraham Street just before 9 a.m., police spokesperson David Cohen said...

Seems that TT's "Water Water Everywhere" cache is the closest to that address. No archived caches there either.

Hmmm.

Edited by Dan-oh

Here's the latest from Sign on San Diego:

SAN DIEGO – A mysterious object that turned out to be a cassette-tape carrying case prompted a precautionary evacuation at Pacific Beach Middle School today.

A teacher spotted the box in a patch of shrubbery at the Ingraham Street campus shortly before 9 a.m., according to San Diego police.

Administrators cleared everyone out of classrooms and offices and patrol officers blocked off nearby roads while arson investigators with an X-ray scanner determined that the box was harmless, SDPD Sgt. Rod Vandiver said.

--------

Something to consider when placing a cache that could potentially cause a panic ... I'm glad it wasn't identified as a cache. That could make for some negative press ...

Hey dhsundance,

Have you decided which day you plan on going to Inkopah? We'd like to join you. We did a couple of those caches but we couldn't go very much farther due to the road being so torn up. Any chance we could carpool? :P

We decided to go on Saturday morning. Gershon and I are going to meet somewhere at Interstate 15/8 merge. We haven't decided on exact location- any suggestions. Maybe we could make a meet place that is convenient to all 3 of us? I'm coming from Scripps and Gershon is coming from Mission Hills.

Dave

We will already be out that way. How about if we meet on the south side of I8? Time?

HBD,

There's the Shell and Texaco stations at the exit just previous to InKoPah exit. Are you going to be that far out east. We'll be leaving around 8AM- it should take us about an hour to get there. So we'd be there around 9:15. Does that sound OK?

Do you have a 4wd? If not you can sit in the back of my jeep. I hope its warm enough to put the top down.

Dave

Has anyone seen my eTrex? I seem to have mislaid it (a yellow eTrex in a protective jacket), and View of the Jewel was the last cache I found with it, on Monday. So if anyone spots an eTrex nearby, please let me know! I see a few people have found the cache since me, so I presume I've just put it somewhere random, rather than having put it on my car roof and driven off, but just in case....

I hope it hasn't been nicked from my bench in the lab. :unsure:

Here's a few Markwells:

Terrorist Threat

Cache Gets 911 Call

An Unhappy Sheriff, Indiana Bomb Scare

Geocaching Banned - The End Of Geocaching...

Yeah, its been discussed over and over and over again.

Here's the story in brief:

--------------------------------

UNION-TRIBUNE

February 2, 2005

PACIFIC BEACH – More than 700 students at Pacific Beach Middle School were evacuated yesterday morning after a suspicious case was found in the bushes at the Ingraham Street campus, police Sgt. Rod Vandiver said.

Metro Arson Strike Team dispatched bomb technicians to examine the black case, which was found to contain about 20 cassettes of 1980s and 1990s rock music.

Principal Michelle Irwin said the case was found during a routine morning check of school grounds. The sweeps are made because homeless people often sleep overnight on or near school grounds and leave their belongings behind.

Police were called about 8:50 a.m. and students were evacuated to athletic fields. They were back in class by 10:30 a.m., police said.

–Joe Hughes

dhsundance,

Sounds good, which station? 

Got to talking with the male half & we'll try it with our CRV.  When we were out there last time, we were alone and didn't feel comfortable trying it without a lifeline, if needed.  :ph34r:  Do you have a winch, just in case?  :rolleyes:

The 4 of us will be out there on Saturday too, but probably an hour behind y'all! We're in the beige SUV with a big crack in the windshield.