The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Sorry, but a lot of the Bradshaw Trail has been closed. Team Nohoch and others had put a slew of caches along there a few days before the powers that be closed it down for the desert tortoise. Or whatever! :laughing:

There is a pub up north called the Elbow Room... :sad: Was that your puzzle-writing hand, TT? Boy, are we in trouble now!

On phone with TT now, please see his message I am transcribing below:

Thank you all for your warmest wishes ...

Pushing Tin RDU GCHG6D

Solved the coordinates yesterday and confirmed them with the original cache-daddy TucsonThompsen. Headed out to grab the cache today with Maria and Jimmy (non-geo friends) and found it quickly. The cache is in great shape (good job Georoaches!). I was dissappointed that a plane didn't fly by while I was there. Also REMEMBER TO BRING A PEN WITH YOU TO THE CACHE! TNLNSL.

P.S. TucsonThompson is hot!

So who IS this mysterious LocaRoja?

Bwahahaha!

(Man, I feel like I'm in 4th grade)

Russ- I figured you'd have found most of the caches out there.

Regarding a power 4 wheeling trail- have you considered the Bradshaw Trail above the Salton Sea? I haven't checked the cache density in the area yet. But I think it is fairly low on caches. This trail is looong and mostly a long dirt highway for sand rails. One of my favorite caches is there called "Trestle". I know it's a ways away but desert caches usually have a long shelf life and don't need much maintenance.

Dave

Dave,

Looks like Daryl and Jamie and friends were thinking like you. They just placed a string of caches in the area, but the area was closed down three days later by the government due to the protection of desert tortoises. Too bad they went to all that work and had to disable them! Good for tortoise though :sad:

I have been going to the desert since 1969 and have yet to see one.

Russ

That's really too bad. As a responsible offroader I find it difficult to swallow when they close down trails. I have seen more desert tortoises in the non-protected areas than while hiking in the "special tortoise" areas. Of course I've been in the former areas much more and I cover a lot more ground. But needless to say I saw 3 tortoises in 1 day while offroading in Calico nearby Barstow. And anybody who has ever been back there knows that it is a little like the ole' wild west. There are barely any rules in that remote area. Yet the tortoises are thriving.

Dave

Oh Yeah! Thanks for the info on the trail.

On phone with TT now, please see his message I am transcribing below:

Thank you all for your warmest wishes ...

Pushing Tin RDU GCHG6D

Solved the coordinates yesterday and confirmed them with the original cache-daddy TucsonThompsen. Headed out to grab the cache today with Maria and Jimmy (non-geo friends) and found it quickly. The cache is in great shape (good job Georoaches!). I was dissappointed that a plane didn't fly by while I was there. Also REMEMBER TO BRING A PEN WITH YOU TO THE CACHE! TNLNSL.

P.S. TucsonThompson is hot!

So who IS this mysterious LocaRoja?

Bwahahaha!

(Man, I feel like I'm in 4th grade)

Here is crazy red's picture from her profile!

70d8a646-03a1-4815-9071-8daf219d0875.jpg

Bwahahaha!

Anybody interested in a family event night at a pizza joint in February? Nothing fancy, just a low-key get together, probably at the Round Table in Rancho PQ.

Sounds like a good idea. We (myMarie and myself) have been discussing such things lately too, since we never run into anyone while hunting those wascily caches.

Floating around the website, I noticed the CITO event day this year is April 16, in case anyone is interested.... :laughing:

Pizza sounds good... Oh yea, we just had some for dinner. :sad:

So when is the picnic? Next campout? Just not May. Gotta go home to the folks house and clean out the cobwebs that month. :sad:

Edited by HelBob Duo
The Crown Jewels is the memorial cache for the summer 2004 geocaching picnic.......

Hey, if you hold it for just a leeeeetle bit longer, you can use it for the 2005 summer picnic as well! :laughing:

Be nice Tom. :sad:

To level the playing field a little bit this note is to let everyone know that the first of many caches in this series has been out for a bit. Some more to be released in the near future. So...if you want to catch up to the likes of Lefty (sorry Jeff, I couldn't resist) and Tom. You will want to find this cache soon.

Devhead's Nuisance Urban Micro For The Numbers

Besides this will be the easiest of the all caches in the series.

Bwahahaha!

Anybody interested in a family event night at a pizza joint in February? Nothing fancy, just a low-key get together, probably at the Round Table in Rancho PQ.

Yep, great idea. I've been thinking about the same thing. I like the idea of having more events so if you can't make it, its not such a big deal.

And Tom, be glad it was just Middle English. It coulda been Klingon!

:D

Edited by Dan-oh

"We greased the rocks???"

Holy smokes! The Geobabes are upstanding, clever, smart, and always willing to help! Ha!

Actually, we have a really nice autographed get well present for Jeff, that we know he will like. He probably knows what it is.

Russ, you're a funny guy.

On a different note, I read where the Bradshaw Trail might be opened back up in a month or so. We should all get together and go for a Jeep run!

Splashette

Holy smokes! The Geobabes are upstanding, clever, smart, and always willing to help! Ha!

Actually, we have a really nice autographed get well present for Jeff, that we know he will like. He probably knows what it is.

On a different note, I read where the Bradshaw Trail might be opened back up in a month or so. We should all get together and go for a Jeep run!

Splashette

Count me in on the Jeep run. Do I need to have a Jeep to go? RM

RM-

Yes- exceptions will be made for Landcruisers and Xterras. :D

Parsa- you want to come along too?

Sure, I think my X can keep up with your new black vehicle. :D

I'm also up for the pizza party. That should be easy to set up as Dan and I found out up here in Escondido.

Speaking of Escondido, I think more of you need some night caching fun:

"Lights After Sunset Evoke Resolution". Where've you been Night Hunter?

Parsa

Speaking of Escondido, I think more of you need some night caching fun:

"Lights After Sunset Evoke Resolution". Where've you been Night Hunter?

Parsa

Escondido? is that North of the 56? I don't know if my car can go that far north, something about the lack of O2 way up there. :D

But maybe I can make an exception for a night cache... :D

Jeff, sorry to hear about your spill, I hope everything is going back together well.

Edited by Night Hunter

Thanks again, everyone, for your kind thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes. I got discharged this afternoon and am back convalescing in my lay-z-boy. Man these chairs are comfy.

MDs said I should be in a splint/cast for about 4 weeks before beginning rehab. I may never again throw a 90 mph fastball with that arm, but I'm right-handed so that shouldn't matter anways. The procedure I had was something called an olecranon osteotomy. Basically they drilled out the arm bone packed it full of bone gratfs and reattached the triceps and soft connective tissue, and then plated it all together.

fun stuff.

Obviously. I'll be taking it easy for the next little while, so happy hunting to all out there!

--Jeff--

Edited by TucsonThompsen
The procedure I had was something called an olecranon osteotomy. Basically they drilled out the arm bone packed it full of bone gratfs and reattached the triceps and soft connective tissue, and then plated it all together.

fun stuff.

Obviously. I'll be taking it easy for the next little while, so happy hunting to all out there!

--Jeff--

Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster. - Oscar Goldman

Splashette

Splashette,

Jeep run sounds like a must do! I guess we could even allow other types of transportation, as long as they don't show us up. :lol:

Looks like your rock greasing trick may backfire. Now Jeffery has even more time to cache and dream up all kinds of puzzle torture for all of us. :o

Good news about the Bradshaw trail. I hope they reopen it, as I have never been out thataway.

Russ

Russ- How about the Mojave Road for the power trail? It's really long- I've driven about 1 day of the 2 days it takes to complete it; from Afton Canyon to KelBaker Rd.

Dave

Dave,

I don't know where the Mojave Road is, so will have to do some research. If we do the caches in our local desert it will be easier to maintain since I go out there frequently. I'm always up for a run in the mojave though.

Russ

Russ- How about the Mojave Road for the power trail? It's really long- I've driven about 1 day of the 2 days it takes to complete it; from Afton Canyon to KelBaker Rd.

Dave

Isn't most of the Mojave Road within Mojave National Preserve? I don't think you can put new caches in there now can you? It's controlled by the NPS, so don't National Park rulles apply there now??? Not sure.

Parsa

So are you going to change the name to a Jeep/Land Cruiser/Xterra run or should it be called the vehicles that can go off-road run to be PC.  :lol:

that might not fit the event either...depends on where it heads....my truck don't fit through jeep squeeze!

Scrape.....

242239_200.JPG

Dave

Dave,

I don't know where the Mojave Road is, so will have to do some research. If we do the caches in our local desert it will be easier to maintain since I go out there frequently. I'm always up for a run in the mojave though.

Russ

Here is the overview of the Mojave Road from this book:

0d8d5225-d29e-46f1-a6d3-4a0ba672c74a.jpg

If anyone is interested in a pdf file of the Mojave Road pages from the book which include a description of each of the 3 sections, drop me an e-mail igeocache@gmail.com. I am sending one to Ruscal. RM

Edit 1: Parsa is right about the road being in the National Preserve (look at the map above)

Edit 2: e-mail to Ruscal bounced. The file is 5 megs and you are over your mailbox limit dude!

Edited by Rocket Man

Isn't the Mojave Road too far away from here? I think the Geo-Gods may consider placing caches there (if allowed) as too far away from home coordinates, and therefore considered as 'vacation' caches'. Maintaining the caches would come into play also. Maybe that would be another area for a 4wd run?

Russ's idea of something more locally might work out better. How is the road from the Split Mtn. area over to the Superstitions?

I think anyone can pretty much navigate Bradshaw, terrain is a 1.5. However, us Jeep people carry tow straps with us just in case an X-terra, Landcruiser, etc. might need some assistance!

Splashette

OK, that sounds fine. If anyone else wants to join us at 8 am at the Cougar Pass trail head, feel free to come along.

Trail head coordinates:

N 33°12.594'

W 117°05.146'

... so who's going out to find the new night cache in my 'hood tonight?

Parsa

Looks like Saturday is going to be dry so I'll see you guys at the trailhead at 8AM this Saturday!

Parsa is it quicker to take Broadway until it ends and then hang a ralph on Cougar Pass Rd?

For those of you that haven't seen the far northern end of Daily Ranch it is worth the trip! :grin:

That sure looks like a rocker panel hit on the right side!

That's why I have rock sliders on the truck now. That didn't really damage the rocker panel much since I turned and lifted back up just then. The main damage was to my driver's side door. I got a dent/abrasion between the two doors. My friend X Snoopy (a geocacher) got identical damage on his white Xterra.

Parsa

OK, that sounds fine. If anyone else wants to join us at 8 am at the Cougar Pass trail head, feel free to come along.

Trail head coordinates:

N 33°12.594'

W 117°05.146'

... so who's going out to find the new night cache in my 'hood tonight?

Parsa

Looks like Saturday is going to be dry so I'll see you guys at the trailhead at 8AM this Saturday!

Parsa is it quicker to take Broadway until it ends and then hang a ralph on Cougar Pass Rd?

For those of you that haven't seen the far northern end of Daily Ranch it is worth the trip! :P

The best exit to take from the I-15 is El Norte Pkwy. Go east on El Norte, pass Center City Pkwy, and turn left on Broadway.

Go north on Broadway almost as far as you can go. You'll see Cougar Pass on the right. It's dirt. I'm not sure if you take a ralph or a potsy, but I do know you turn right. Follow it to the top where you'll see the parking on the left and the trail head on the right side of the road. See the coordinates in the quoted post.

Parsa

The best exit to take from the I-15 is El Norte Pkwy. Go east on El Norte, pass Center City Pkwy, and turn left on Broadway.

Go north on Broadway almost as far as you can go. You'll see Cougar Pass on the right. It's dirt. I'm not sure if you take a ralph or a potsy, but I do know you turn right. Follow it to the top where you'll see the parking on the left and the trail head on the right side of the road. See the coordinates in the quoted post.

Parsa

Thanks! I'm coming from the SE so I'll just Broadway all the way up. But those are good directions for others. Last time I went my Geepus routed me to turn off Broadway and go north up Cougar Pass to the trailhead. I remember that way being long and bumpy. Anyhow, this other way sounds better! By the way, right now I'm listening to CCR sing "Who'll Stop the Rain"? :P

Edited by TrailGators
With all the rain, there are bound to be some wet logbooks out there. Anyhow, another cacher told me where you can download a template for printing these slick logbooks! So feel free to print and use this logbook for your own caches. But more importantly, print a few extras to carry as spares to help out your fellow cachers!  :P

That's a Doc file download.

Not all word processors and text readers read these files, just like your PC probably can't view a PICT image.

People posting on the Internet (or is that internets?) should try to use universal file formats. The files should either be able to be viewed through a web browser or by means of a free downloadable program like Acrobat Reader.

Here are some micro-log sheets I made. If you use the pdf file, you can print back to back to get a two-side log. (At least it's supposed to be centered!)

Microlog 1 JPEG file (~259k) 300dpi This prints less than 2 inches across, but is a fairly high resolution.

Microlog 2 JPEG file (~33k) 72 dpi This looks smaller, but should be exactly 2 inches wide when printed. It's a lower resolution.

Download: Microlog 1 PDF file (~17k) The smaller sheet.

Download: Microlog 2 PDF file (~15k)

Parsa

Last time I went my Geepus routed me to turn off Broadway and go north up Cougar Pass to the trailhead. I remember that way being long and bumpy. Anyhow, this other way sounds better!

Actually, your GPSr is right because that's exactly what I said in my log. You have to turn off of Broadway onto Cougar Pass Rd. It goes east, then north to the trail head. If you keep going on Broadway it ends at private ranches. Cougar Pass Rd continues north, however. You can take it all the way into Mountain Meadows. Some maps show the extreme north end of Broadway connecting to Cougar Pass Rd, but I don't think it goes through.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
Last time I went my Geepus routed me to turn off Broadway and go north up Cougar Pass to the trailhead. I remember that way being long and bumpy. Anyhow, this other way sounds better!

Actually, your GPSr is right because that's exactly what I said in my log. You have to turn off of Broadway onto Cougar Pass Rd. It goes east, then north to the trail head. If you keep going on Broadway it ends at private ranches. Cougar Pass Rd continues north, however. You can take it all the way into Mountain Meadows. Some maps show the extreme north end of Broadway connecting to Cougar Pass Rd, but I don't think it goes through.

Parsa

You said "Go north on Broadway almost as far as you can go. You'll see Cougar Pass on the right." Actually the south end of Cougar Pass Rd hits Broadway about a mile before Broadway ends. So isn't as far as you could go! Anyhow, I'll go the way I went last time since the northern approach may not actually go through. My latest Mapsource shows it going through but I've noticed that it is sometimes screwed up.