The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hey, everyone out there. You may recall Yrium's Udesignit TB (TB9E) and his line of geocaching trading cards. I actually have been holding on to that TB in the hopes that someone would step up and take over the tradition. I got tired of waiting and have decided to do it myself! :laughing: I have now adopted the TB and am about to release the first in the Yrium Memorial Series. So look for the new cards, as well as the TB, to be released in the next couple of days.

:anibad: FlagMan B)

Hi Flagman, you mentioned to me today that we can log these cards on a website. I looked for a bit but can't find the site. So could you (or anybody that knows) please post the link?

FYI

TucsonThompsen is undergoing surgery to repair a shattered left elbow he suffered while caching today. He should be OK, I believe he broke the humerus in 7 places while hiking, but he's staying overnight at Inland Valley Hospital near Wildomar.

Bad luck but he'll be OK.

Ouch!

Okay, the big question, did he make the find?

TT, I wish you a speedy recovery.

"I reckon being ill as one of the great pleasures of life, provided one is not too ill and is not obliged to work till one is better." By Samuel Butler.

FYI

TucsonThompsen is undergoing surgery to repair a shattered left elbow he suffered while caching today. He should be OK, I believe he broke the humerus in 7 places while hiking, but he's staying overnight at Inland Valley Hospital near Wildomar.

OUCH! Sorry to hear that! Hope they can put you back together again, Jeff! Best wishes for a speedy recovery! -Tom. :)

FYI

This has me concerned. If he has a long recovery sitting around at home, he will dream up many more evil caches. JK

I wish you a fast recovery TT.

FYI

Jeff, get more better, can't wait to see the scars, first round is on me.

D!

The latest TT update is bone broke into 17 (!) fragments and he thinks they had to put a plate in his elbow.  He's a little groggy after the surgery.  More tomorrow.

Wow Jeff, the lengths you will go through to allow someone else in San Diego be FTF on the "Crown Jewels are Missing". That is mighty gentlemanly of you. Tom, what are you going to do to yourself? :wub::o:wub:

In all seriousness. I do hope you a speedy recovery, I know many of us are wanting to hear the story. 2nd round is on me (Duscwe! claimed 1st round). Get better soon.

-devhead

Edited by devhead

...the lengths you will go through to allow someone else in San Diego be FTF on the "Crown Jewels are Missing"...

So what am I missing here? Is there really a cache named "Crown Jewels..."? A search for keyword crown or jewel turns up nada.

Or an I missing a joke somewhere?

...the lengths you will go through to allow someone else in San Diego be FTF on the "Crown Jewels are Missing"...

So what am I missing here? Is there really a cache named "Crown Jewels..."? A search for keyword crown or jewel turns up nada.

Or an I missing a joke somewhere?

See earlier post from The Dillon Gang:

The Crown Jewels are Missing!!!!!!!  :o

On phone with TT now, please see his message I am transcribing below:

Thank you all for your warmest wishes on a speedy recovery, I hope to be back at full speed soon. Just took a spill off of a rock formation, landing on another rock below, and breaking my left elbow into 15, not 17, pieces. The cache (I thnk it was called PJ's rainforest cache) was a simple 1.5/1.5 off State route 74 between lake Elsinore and Perris. If you drive along this road and see a giant green spray painted rock, that's the one that got me! Dynamite will be imported and used at a later date.

Looks like I will be discharged tomorrow from Inland Valley Hosp. and the manager has transferred me to the 60 day DL. Some young minor leaguers from AAA Tucson will be called up to take my place. BTW, yes, I did get the cache before the spill (and obviously have not logged it yet or Project Delta or Elsinore Outlet Cache that I had also grabbed earlier that day).

Thank you all again for your concern and well wishes and I will see you out on the trail real soon. TT

PS, not even this elbow will keep me away from beer...I have another arm to raise a pint with, see you Sunday!

Good luck on the recovery TT. Hope you can still make it to the pub on Sunday, so we can all buy you a pint......as long as medication allows! I can pick you up if you can't drive....

Pub?!? What pub? what time and who's buying?

PS> the Crown Jewels is the memorial cache for the summer 2004 geocaching picnic.......it should be going live anyday now......however there is a journey you must take to get it. Cause the Crown Jewels Are Missing!

Edited by The Dillon Gang

Hey Russ- now that I got a jeep I'd love to join you and Nellybelle on a cache trip in the desert. I'll be heading up to In-Ko-Pa in early February. I'd like to do a few of the ones around Superstition Mtn. I went up there for the SD 4 Wheelers event but didn't get any caches. I believe Just Runs planted another cache there too.

Dave

The Crown Jewels is the memorial cache for the summer 2004 geocaching picnic.......

Hey, if you hold it for just a leeeeetle bit longer, you can use it for the 2005 summer picnic as well! :sad:

Dr. Boggis has invited the crowd to Shakespeares (down by El Indio near Washington St. and India) on Sunday at 6 pm for a few pints.....

Congrats to the good Dr. Boggis on #200! :sad: That's good for at least one pint on me on Sunday! :laughing:

Thanks Tom :sad:

For those who missed it, my original suggestion about doing the Shakespeare Pub Quiz on Sunday is here.

Coords for the pub (taken from aerial photos, so add a pinch of salt):

32N 44.558, 117W 10.824.

The quiz starts at 7pm, and is always busy, and it's a bit of a nightmare to park, so carpool if you can!

Hey Russ- now that I got a jeep I'd love to join you and Nellybelle on a cache trip in the desert. I'll be heading up to In-Ko-Pa in early February. I'd like to do a few of the ones around Superstition Mtn. I went up there for the SD 4 Wheelers event but didn't get any caches. I believe Just Runs planted another cache there too.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Funny you should mention Superstition; I just got back from a run out there. Bikedog, Howling wolf and I went out Friday night and hooked up with Kawikaturn and some of his Arizona friends. We were dirt biking this trip. First trip for the bike this season, as Nellybelle has been getting most of the attention!

We knocked out all the Superstition caches, so I may have to hook up with you at another location. I don't know if Parsa has done them, so you guys could get together and sweep the area. The sand is soft up there, so you will likely have to air down your tires for floatation. I'm in the middle of installing on board air on Nellybelle, so will be able to air back up when completing runs.

I have been thinking about hiding a 4WD power caching trail in the desert, so if you are interested in a hiding trip let me know. I need to collect a bunch of ammo cans first though! If others went out and hid some more caches out there as well, we would be able to have another desert event in a month or so and have some new caches for people to go after. We could time the release of all the caches for the day before the future event. I am planning this outside of the desert state park to avoid any issues. The Truckhaven area might be a good spot to gather.

Russ

Russ- I figured you'd have found most of the caches out there.

Regarding a power 4 wheeling trail- have you considered the Bradshaw Trail above the Salton Sea? I haven't checked the cache density in the area yet. But I think it is fairly low on caches. This trail is looong and mostly a long dirt highway for sand rails. One of my favorite caches is there called "Trestle". I know it's a ways away but desert caches usually have a long shelf life and don't need much maintenance.

Dave

FYI

I think the Geobabes were out there greasing up the rocks. :sad:

Regarding a power 4 wheeling trail- have you considered the Bradshaw Trail above the Salton Sea? I haven't checked the cache density in the area yet. But I think it is fairly low on caches. This trail is looong and mostly a long dirt highway for sand rails. One of my favorite caches is there called "Trestle". I know it's a ways away but desert caches usually have a long shelf life and don't need much maintenance.

Dave

Dave,

I hane not been to that area, but would like to check it out. I'll see if I can find it on my maps. Is it on the east shore?

Russ

Coords for the pub (taken from aerial photos, so add a pinch of salt):

32N 44.558, 117W 10.824.

Difficulty 3 / Terrain 1

:sad: Stealth required, Frequent Muggle Activity, Occasional geocacher sightings, Beer on premises, Trivia in the air.

Hint: Pinch of salt not necessarily required. Cleverly hidden amongst other buildings typicaly seen in urban areas.

Dave

Dave,

Looks like Daryl and Jamie and friends were thinking like you. They just placed a string of caches in the area, but the area was closed down three days later by the government due to the protection of desert tortoises. Too bad they went to all that work and had to disable them! Good for tortoise though :sad:

I have been going to the desert since 1969 and have yet to see one.

Russ