The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Speaking of MTRP, ... does anyone have advice on a route or routes that would feature many of them without killing me off all at once? ....

One route would be to start at Portobella and head from there up to North Fortuna, across the saddle to South Fortuna, down the steps into the valley, back up the hill to the stacks and then across towards Clairemont Mesa and back to Portobella. It would be a 4-5 hour trek, and definitely strenuous, but still doable. This route would catch at least a dozen caches, but would miss all the ones along the loop trail and near the visitor's center.

One route would be to start at Portobella and head from there up to North Fortuna, across the saddle to South Fortuna, down the steps into the valley, back up the hill to the stacks and then across towards Clairemont Mesa and back to Portobella.

No can do, Tom. The Portabello trail that skirts along the south edge of 52 towards N. fortuna is closed. Well....it's posted closed with a bunch of markers and what not, right at the trailhead by the condos and posted as closed by another set about .15 miles west of the duckpond.

I, however, wouldn't say that it's guarded like Checkpoint Charlie though. :huh:

Edited by TucsonThompsen

I know for some of you with lots of caches this is going to be a real pain, but the recently-added cache attributes look like they could be really useful, as long as everyone uses them. We'll be able to sort caches based on more than just location, type, size, terrain and difficulty, once most caches have assigned attributes. I've got 11 active caches and it only took me about 10-15 mins.

Check your cache pages and just below the log/edit/archive etc links there's a link saying "edit attributes"; click that and you can choose up to 10.

I know for some of you with lots of caches this is going to be a real pain, but the recently-added cache attributes look like they could be really useful, as long as everyone uses them. We'll be able to sort caches based on more than just location, type, size, terrain and difficulty, once most caches have assigned attributes. I've got 11 active caches and it only took me about 10-15 mins.

Check your cache pages and just below the log/edit/archive etc links there's a link saying "edit attributes"; click that and you can choose up to 10.

Glad to see that they implemented that feature! I got all my caches done! :huh:

One route would be to start at Portobella and head from there up to North Fortuna, across the saddle to South Fortuna, down the steps into the valley, back up the hill to the stacks and then across towards Clairemont Mesa and back to Portobella.

No can do, Tom. The Portabello trail that skirts along the south edge of 52 towards N. fortuna is closed. Well....it's posted closed with a bunch of markers and what not, right at the trailhead by the condos and posted as closed by another set about .15 miles west of the duckpond.

I, however, wouldn't say that it's guarded like Checkpoint Charlie though. :huh:

Howabout the trailhead at the top of Corte Playa Catatlina?

D!

Edited by Duscwe!
No can do, Tom. The Portabello trail that skirts along the south edge of 52 towards N. fortuna is closed....

You know, that's interesting. I have seen the "Closed Trail" sign as well, but I also had a very specific conversation with a Park Ranger who assured me that all the trails were open -- including Portobella -- and that was right after I had seen the sign. So I don't know what to believe. Frankly, I can't imagine getting in too much trouble over it, since the sign seem to be for the purpose of preventing injury due to the burned out bridge. The actual location of the sign is interesting as well, since you can get well on your way towards Fortuna before encountering the sign -- and you could be well on your way from Fortuna towards Portobella before encountering it as well. The trailheads are not posted at all.....

Overall, it's a good idea, but I will continue to use The Selector cause you can add verbiage to each icon. And, you can add coords to the parking and trailhead icons.

There be a total of 54 icons and you can make some formatting adjustments, i.e. font size and color.

Edited by Chuy
What coordinate format is that? Degrees minutes seconds?

Nice list of stuff, but could do with being a bit more user-friendly (search box, clickable next/previous page etc). Or even better, have the whole lot downloadable!

Not sure about the format - I'll look at something nearby and see if I can figure it out.

A GPX file would have been great! B)

Yeah, they load fairly fast on a cable modem or other high speed connection, but if you have dialup it would be pretty slow. Geocaching.com doesn't allow anything larger than 125k, so 600k is large compared to that. I didn't want to slow the loading of the forum page down by posting the images (something I've been guilty of before).

If I get a round to it I may plot the points on an aerial photo using Terrabrowser or Lostoutdoors.

Oh, by he way, I've said this before, and I'll probably say it again... Daley Ranch up here in Escondido is about as varied and interesting as Mission Trails. There's room for a lot more caches up there as long as they are placed in an ecological manner. If you're looking for an area with fairly moderate hikes that's not too far from urban areas, consider putting a cache in there.

Parsa

Oh, by he way, I've said this before, and I'll probably say it again... Daley Ranch up here in Escondido is about as varied and interesting as Mission Trails. There's room for a lot more caches up there as long as they are placed in an ecological manner. If you're looking for an area with fairly moderate hikes that's not too far from urban areas, consider putting a cache in there.

Funny you should mention that because we were just looking at this and wondering about it:

Daley Ranch

On edit - thanks to TT for the link to that site!

Edited by ahimsa

I'll be going out to the Bobcat Trail cache soon to check on it. I've never gotten the Dailey Delight cache, so I'll go to that, too. If anyone wants to walk out with me, I'd enjoy the company. I'll have a spare cache in my pack in case Bobcat is really missing. If it's there, I may just place the new cache somewhere else along the way. It would be nice if most of the caches out here weren't Parsa caches though.

Parsa

I'll be going out to the Bobcat Trail cache soon to check on it. I've never gotten the Dailey Delight cache, so I'll go to that, too. If anyone wants to walk out with me, I'd enjoy the company. I'll have a spare cache in my pack in case Bobcat is really missing. If it's there, I may just place the new cache somewhere else along the way. It would be nice if most of the caches out here weren't Parsa caches though.

Parsa

Speaking of Daley Ranch: Lucky Kid & Proud Parents just entered a log today on my Riddle Me This, Batman cache that the Boulder Loop trail is blocked off due to severe erosion. I'm sure they will be repairing the trail in the near future but it is closed until they do.

Parsa

I could go next weekend, I haven't found Dailey delight either. I need to check on Batman (assuming the trail gets fixed) and I'd like to leave a new cache up on the Rock Ridge trail. That trail is one of my favorites in Daley Ranch!

Edited by TrailGators

Parsa

Parsa, when are thinking about going to Bobcat Trail and Dailey delight?? I too have a cache or two that are dying to get into the wild. And Dailey Ranch is awesome. :huh:

My Update Done.

Overall, it's a good idea, but I will continue to use The Selector cause you can add verbiage to each icon. And, you can add coords to the parking and trailhead icons.

There be a total of 54 icons and you can make some formatting adjustments, i.e. font size and color.

When I visited the Selector link, all I could access was html coding for "parking" and "trailhead". Big Green has a redundant site. Who/where is Big Green?

Parsa

I could go next weekend, I haven't found Dailey delight either. I need to check on Batman (assuming the trail gets fixed) and I'd like to leave a new cache up on the Rock Ridge trail. That trail is one of my favorites in Daley Ranch!

Do you mean this coming weekend or the following one?

I might be able to go out this Saturday morning. If I go early enough, I could be back before my family gets out of their jammies.

I'll hike in from Cougar Pass trailhead.

Rock Ridge is a long hike from this side. Even going to Crest Trail from Bobcat was pretty long and tiring. Also, if Boulder Loop is closed off, then Rock Ridge would not have access.

For future reference, here's a cool site by local hiker Tom Chester, and Escondido teacher and Daley Ranch guide James Dillane:

Plant Guide to Rock Ridge Trail

Parsa

Do you mean this coming weekend or the following one?

I might be able to go out this Saturday morning. If I go early enough, I could be back before my family gets out of their jammies.

I'll hike in from Cougar Pass trailhead.

Rock Ridge is a long hike from this side. Even going to Crest Trail from Bobcat was pretty long and tiring. Also, if Boulder Loop is closed off, then Rock Ridge would not have access.

For future reference, here's a cool site by local hiker Tom Chester, and Escondido teacher and Daley Ranch guide James Dillane:

Plant Guide to Rock Ridge Trail

Parsa

I meant the 29th and you are right, Dailey Delight would not be a delight if we hiked to/from it from the southern entrance. What time would you be at the NW trailhead? Be nice! :D

I should wait a few weeks before attempting the Boulder loop/Rock Ridge Loops. Is there a way to find out the status of the Daley Ranch trails online?

Edited by TrailGators

I meant the 29th and you are right, Dailey Delight would not be a delight if we hiked to/from it from the southern entrance. What time would you be at the NW trailhead? Be nice!  :D

I should wait a few weeks before attempting the Boulder loop/Rock Ridge Loops. Is there a way to find out the status of the Daley Ranch trails online?

I don't know... I can be there at 7 am, but a bit later if you want. I wasn't talking about 4 in the morning or anything. It doesn't really take that long to hike to the Bobcat cache.

Can you go this weekend, or are you still talking about the 29th?

I meant the 29th and you are right, Dailey Delight would not be a delight if we hiked to/from it from the southern entrance. What time would you be at the NW trailhead? Be nice!  :P

I don't know... I can be there at 7 am, but a bit later if you want. I wasn't talking about 4 in the morning or anything. It doesn't really take that long to hike to the Bobcat cache.

Can you go this weekend, or are you still talking about the 29th?

Next weekend is much better for me but don't let me hold you up if you wanted to go this weekend. If you opt go on the 29th how about meeting at the parking lot off Cougar Pass road ~8AM? That will give me some time to pour some coffee down my throat! :D

Edited by TrailGators

When I visited the Selector link, all I could access was html coding for "parking" and "trailhead". Big Green has a redundant site. Who/where is Big Green?

They just eliminated their icons. They posted the following note:

"Note: I've discontinued the icons due to the release of Big Green's version. Seems redundant since their tool looks and works just like this one. The group banners and the trailhead / parking stuff will stay here for the time being."

They will continue to provide the trailhead and parking icons for the coords.

Hey, everyone out there. You may recall Yrium's Udesignit TB (TB9E) and his line of geocaching trading cards. I actually have been holding on to that TB in the hopes that someone would step up and take over the tradition. I got tired of waiting and have decided to do it myself! :( I have now adopted the TB and am about to release the first in the Yrium Memorial Series. So look for the new cards, as well as the TB, to be released in the next couple of days.

:( FlagMan :D

:(:(:D

-you know how in some cache's you find those cards to get free cards printed..... are they usually pretty good? I want to go make some, so I can put them in the cache's I find.

If you are talking about printbusinesscards.com, the following cachers have used this service:

FlagMan (originator)

pqcachers

Slabyfam

Night Hunter

Dr. Boggis

few others I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you like the quality of their cards, you will like what you get.....

When I visited the Selector link, all I could access was html coding for  "parking" and "trailhead". Big Green has a redundant site. Who/where is Big Green?

They just eliminated their icons. They posted the following note:

"Note: I've discontinued the icons due to the release of Big Green's version. Seems redundant since their tool looks and works just like this one. The group banners and the trailhead / parking stuff will stay here for the time being."

They will continue to provide the trailhead and parking icons for the coords.

Due to popular demand the original Selector is back online. I know that don't mean much in San Diego as few of you use them, but I do, and it's good to have choices. The Selector

:laughing:  :anibad:  B)

-you know how in some caches you find those cards to get free cards printed.....  are they usually pretty good?  I want to go make some,  so I can put them in the caches I find.

Yeah, they're worth the money....... B)

Choice of background is a bit limited (I had to use a Mustang Fastback instead of the coupe I've got), but they really were free, and delivery only took a couple of weeks IIRC. Plenty of different ways to get what you want on there too. (There are probably some Zelda/Nintendo icons, but if not, I'm sure there are other cheap/free card printing sites you could upload a picture to.)

Edited by Dr. Boggis

I hadn't noticed earlier that the California Coastal Records Project has photos of our coastline - I remember looking a year or so ago and they were missing at least our area (Del Mar/Solana Beach). Here's a photo of our Secret Garden Runaround cache (came in handy today :laughing: )

on edit: changed the link to the photo to meet their requirements - ps, you can also do this:

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/location.cgi?latdeg=latitude&longdeg=longitude&mode=sequential

but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

Edited by ahimsa
I hadn't noticed earlier that the California Coastal Records Project has photos of our coastline - I remember looking a year or so ago and they were missing at least our area (Del Mar/Solana Beach).  Here's a photo of our Secret Garden Runaround cache (came in handy today  :laughing: )

It's a lot greener at the moment than when that photo was taken!

Also, the river outflow has moved quite a bit over the past 15 years - there wasn't a lot of beach there in 1989...

Edited by Dr. Boggis
ps, you can also do this:
http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/location.cgi?latdeg=latitude&longdeg=longitude&mode=sequential

but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

Figured it out:

http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/location.cgi?latdeg=32&latmin=58.652+&longdeg=117&longmin=16.211&mode=sequential

Result