The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Actually, don't go to High Fruit until Flagman can do some maintenance.  It kind of jammed when I was out there. :P

My girls (6 & 8) and I visited High Fruit today; no problems to report.

We had a grand time :P.

Thanks Flagman; I would have like to seen you set this one up - right after seeing Dan-oh treat the cache as a pinata; and after JM&N B try and climb up the tree...

Edited by Chuy

‘Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house

Not a creature was stirring, except Tucson’s mouse.

The cache pages were listed from newest to old,

In hopes that a first to find would unfold.

Most cachers were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of new GPSs danced in their heads.

But pqmommy in her ‘kerchief and I in my cap,

Had just settled down for a long winter’s nap.

When out in the canyon there arose such a clatter

We sprang from our bed to see what was the matter.

When, what to our wondering eyes should appear

But Flagman and Bitmap and six tiny TeamTaskmasteers.

With a little old GPS, so lively and quick,

We knew in a moment it must be St. Jeff (ok so it doesn’t rhyme)

More rapid than eagles his minions they came

And he whistled and shouted and called them by name

“Now Flagman! Now Climber! Now Bitmap and Sean!

On Drew and K-Turn, On Sleuths and Shandon!

To the top of the ridge! And over the lawn!

We must, I say MUST find the cache before dawn!”

They looked and they hunted both low and way high

They searched for fishing line way up in the sky.

They spoke not a word but kept on with their work

As they searched in circles feeling much like a jerk.

But then laying a finger aside of his nose

And giving a nod, up the canyon they rose.

They slunked to their cars, pretending not to mind

That they’d all go home and log a did not find.

But we heard them exclaim, as they drove out of sight,

“Why can’t these newbies get their coordinates right!”

Merry Christmas everyone!

MERRY, MERRY CHRISTMAS To ALL!!!

Very good pqcachers!

Thanks Flagman.  Now we can go back out there & break it again!  :lol: Just kidding! :D

Merry Christmas everyone. :lol:

I'll fess up I probably "broke" the cache.

It appears we were the last visitors; my girls, Ginger, and I came by on Xmas eve at 2P.

We encountered no problems and had a good laugh and a good time making the find, but I probably took out too much slack when replacing the container.

Sorry Flagman, glad it was repairable.

On a side note, Ginger and I just completed a sweep of all caches north of Father Junipero Trail at MTRP.

By the numbers: 15 caches, 9.5 miles; 5 hours, and best of all, zero DNF's :unsure:.

My legs are mush, and Ginger, well, she hasn't gotten up off the kitchen floor since we got home 2.5 hours ago.

Edit note: looks like I missed the latest cache at MTRP: Pathfinder by TR Violin. It's right off the FJ Trail, so I will visit this cache tomorrow or Tuesday on my bike ride home from work.

Edited by Chuy

Ouch!! Point taken. :rolleyes:

Ouch!! Point taken. :rolleyes:

Heh...it wouldn't have been so bad, except that I'm a pretty big fellow....so a 3 mile hike that's not level, is a bit much. I'll visit the cache again someday, but not before I drop some more weight!

Question on how to handle logs that include TB #'s - we've emailed the cachers but in the meantime the # is exposed - how long before we should just delete the log or what does "permanently encrypt" do? Hopefully the cacher will just edit the log soon. It happens to be our cache and our TB so it's our risk to take if the number just hangs out there for a while.

P.S. Rocket Man - you've got some in one of your caches too: I SPY I-5

P.P.S. Please don't any of you log zillions of miles on our TB! :rolleyes:

P.P.P.S. Rocket Man, I SPY I-5 is going to be a notorious TB "outing" cache soon! <_<

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and/or some other holiday with vacation time.

We'll probabaly see some new Christmas cachers pop up with new GPSr units. Some of them can be pretty lost and need any help we can offer. I've seen cachers try some of my 3 star multis, looking for a container, not a way point. It seems to be a common mistake. Um, I did the same thing on MY very first attempt.

I hope that we can all offer help whenever possible, welcome new cachers on their first find and even direct them to these forums for more info. I hate to see accounts with just 3 finds that get frustrated and go away.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and/or some other holiday with vacation time.

We'll probabaly see some new Christmas cachers pop up with new GPSr units. Some of them can be pretty lost and need any help we can offer. I've seen cachers try some of my 3 star multis, looking for a container, not a way point. It seems to be a common mistake. Um, I did the same thing on MY very first attempt.

I hope that we can all offer help whenever possible, welcome new cachers on their first find and even direct them to these forums for more info. I hate to see accounts with just 3 finds that get frustrated and go away.

I alread had 2 noobies hit my Road to Nowhere cache since X-Mas. RM

I'm planning on hiking San Miguel Mtn in Chula Vista with a buddy from work this Friday at 1p'ish.

The forecast calls for slight chance of showers. We got rained out once already, but hopefully, this time the skies will open up.

Email me or meet us at the parking coords if you'd like to join us.

This is the higher of the two on the mountain.

*mumble* *cuss* *grumble* stupid rain *cuss* *mumble*

Tell me about it! I just got over some stupid virus and finally feel great but know it is freaking raining! Time to get out the poncho! :)

Heh....I don't mind caching in the rain...so long as I'm not trying to climb a hill!

I was hoping to do some scoping out of an area for a new cache tomorrow. Looks like that's not going to happen. Doh!

Glad you're feeling better. Now get out there in the rain, and catch another cold! :D

Edited by PC Painter

Tell me about it! I just got over some stupid virus and finally feel great but know it is freaking raining! Time to get out the poncho! :)

Heh....I don't mind caching in the rain...so long as I'm not trying to climb a hill!

I was hoping to do some scoping out of an area for a new cache tomorrow. Looks like that's not going to happen. Doh!

Glad you're feeling better. Now get out there in the rain, and catch another cold! :D

Nah. I'm going to give it one more day. It was too much of a PITA to risk getting sick again. But we are going out to Yucca Valley area tomorrow and Thursday for sure. It is supposed to clear up sometime tomorrow morning and stay clear through Thursday. Then the forecast is rain for the remainder of the holiday break. But of course it will be nice and sunny for my first day back to work next Tuesday. :D

Edited by TrailGators

Yeah, you don't want to start wandering around in the rain after having a cold. I had a cold and brochitis, and went up to a cache in the hills above Rancho Bernardo after I started feeling better. I ended up getting sick again and getting pneumonia. It lasted for months and my caching went to zero for a long time.

Parsa

We did it! We did a TT cache! Sunday after Christmas we did Jenny Two-Tone cache. Barbara thought I was a genius on figuring out the puzzle. (I had the print out so I knew where I was headed). We want to do a puzzle cache now but came to the realization that we pretty much don't know much about anything in order to create one. :) But we'll keep working on it. Thanks TT for the fun cache.

Do any of the guys need a roomie for the Yucca Inn? I'd rather share a room than pay 50 bucks for a big room for just little old me (well, I'm really not *that* little).

You can privately email me if you'd like to share. If anyone doesn't have a room yet we could work something out also.

Parsa

Edited by Parsa
I think we're going to be spending Wednesday at Edchada's eating Mexican food. They're predicting 78% rain in the desert. Thursday should be good though.

Parsa

Hope the conditions hold out for all of you. Find lotsa caches and don't get stuck in the mud either!

Thanks. Ironically, some of our cohorts got some stuck in the mud the last time we went out to the desert. Anyhow it looks like we have 4 brave souls going up today. It is supposed to clear up this afternoon and all tomorrow so we should have some fun. Worse comes to worse we drink a few beers and play some pool. :D

Hello ppl ;)  im new to this ...

Welcome to our game and sometimes obsession Kagyvt. That handle almost sounds like a

radio station. Perhaps a call sign?

Glad you found us here. The SD forum is a good place to keep up with the local happenings, for general gossip and for puzzle-cacher-bashing as well. :o

See you on the trails!

Edited by Dan-oh

I'm calling off our hike to San Miguel Mtn. Not so much cause of the sporadic rains

expected today, but cause of the 15mph+ winds predicted for higher altitudes. Winds, rains, and steep trails don't mix well for these old legs.

We'll try again in couple of weeks.

Welcome kagyvt and thanks for the FTF on your first hide <_< . You picked a nice area for your first hide; keep 'em coming.

I'm calling off our hike to San Miguel Mtn. Not so much cause of the sporadic rains

expected today

Thanks anyway Chuy for the effort of putting together the hike, we look forward to going when the weather cooperates. We braved the wind and rain anyway with a coastal hunt today while we were checking on party prep at the yacht club.....So much for having a good hair day...we were more suited to be "blonds run like ducks".

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE :unsure:

trying this question again:

if you go to cache #GCJN9D

and zoom in a little there is the old los coches historical tunnel. I went there a couple weeks ago to go have a look at it, and do some caching, but the thing is 200FT inside the fence of the avocado grove. anyone know who owns those groves or how to get ahold of the people so I can maybe go have a look at the old historical tunnel?

anyone know what the tunnel was for? seen it? know anything about it??? I am way curiosu about this and I want to go see it.....I love historical things.....

Yea I am pretty sure that it is part of the flume system, it is on that map for that one cache, I wanna go see what it looks like now adays.....so I am looking for someway to get permission to enter adn photo.

One way to find the owner would be to have a title company's customer service department pull the deed to the land. It is a free service. They can usually do that with a street address, APN or a legal description. I don't think they can do it with GPS coordinates yet -- hopefully soon!

Edited by FlagMan

I see the power line on the topo map, and I can see its trace on the aerial photos, but I don't see a tunnel in the area. I can see the avocado trees in the aerial, but no evidence of a flume.

BTW, the Lake Hodges Monster web site that you can get to from the Hodgee cache page shows photos of the old and new flumes that head west from Lake Hodges. You can see remnants of the old wooden flume north of Del Dios Highway and the modern flume shows easily on aerial photos west of the dam.

There was also a flume from Lake Wohlford to Escondido that I've seen photos of in Yesterdays in Escondido. I think Dan-oh may have spotted remnants of this one. There was supposed to be a long tunnel called the Rodriquez Tunnel for that one as well. I have no idea where it is though. I may have to hit the Pioneer Room to do some research.

Parsa

Tom,

If you and Tucson have jobs, can you send me a job application, because I want to work there, too!  Hehe  :(

Steve,

My company just put a requisition in for 3 new chemists' positions. :D

And yes...I creatively "manage" my time. Of course I sometimes have to come in late at night to check on things, but it all balances out timewise for billing purposes in the end.

--TT--

If any of you guys would like a Gmail account (Google.com) just email me your first and last name and I'll send you an invite. I have a few free beta accounts left to give out. I like using gmail for geocaching because it keeps all my geocaching emails totally separate from my normal email (which is 50% spam). :(

old & unmaintained caches

There are a few caches in San Diego that need some attention. It seems that when someone stops caching and leaves their caches, a few things happen:

- the container fails and the contents turn to mush

- the log book fills up

- muggles find the cache and remove or trash it

- it was never permitted and TPTB remove it

- something at the site changes and the page needs to be updated

I formaly adopted Number One Son (GCEA6) because it was in SDRP permit limbo after Yirium passed, unoffically adopted Nature Trail Cache (GC3D44) with the owners permission and I'm looking at setting a new container for Old Glory (GCC8A).

I realized the Jnglkat is done caching but some of his caches need help. After visiting Old Glory, is looked at his list and saw Dos Hombres (GC219B) and thought it needed archiving. Rocket Man revealed the safe route in but there's no way to change the page. Ultimately its probably OK but it revealed a problem on how to take care of abandoned caches.

Maybe a "needs attention" or "Lost caches" thread? Work as a group to oficially adopt caches? Any ideas?