The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I was surprised to see that Netscape News with CNN would use such a doomsday headline. BTW, my sarcasm was intended in my original post. :lol:

Tycho

Love sarcasm! Didn't you know that CNN is on the left? :D The CNN folks were dadgum near crying when Kerry lost. I felt sorry for them (sarcasm). Anyhow, starting a panic by preying on the ignorant is a classic left-wing tactic. If Fox News ever runs this story I'll start to be concerned.

I was surprised to see that Netscape News with CNN would use such a doomsday headline.  BTW, my sarcasm was intended in my original post.  :lol:

Tycho

Love sarcasm! Didn't you know that CNN is on the left? :D The CNN folks were dadgum near crying when Kerry lost. I felt sorry for them (sarcasm). Anyhow, starting a panic by preying on the ignorant is a classic left-wing tactic. If Fox News ever runs this story I'll start to be concerned.

You mean Faux News don't you? :smile:

I was surprised to see that Netscape News with CNN would use such a doomsday headline.  BTW, my sarcasm was intended in my original post.  :lol:

Tycho

Love sarcasm! Didn't you know that CNN is on the left? :smile: The CNN folks were dadgum near crying when Kerry lost. I felt sorry for them (sarcasm). Anyhow, starting a panic by preying on the ignorant is a classic left-wing tactic. If Fox News ever runs this story I'll start to be concerned.

You mean Faux News don't you? :lol:

Funny. Hey at least they don't cry when a candidate loses! I think you call that "unbiased". :D

Anyhow. politics makes me want to lose my lunch so let's get back to chatting about the good stuff! Is anybody thinking about joining us on our desert trip on the 29th-30th?

If Fox News ever runs this story I'll start to be concerned.

Oh No!!!! :o

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,141697,00.html

This story was covered EVERYWHERE, regardless of political affiliation.

-Tony

OK Tony, you got me! <_<

But you have to admit as a geocacher that seeing the headline:

"U.S. May Disable GPS During National Crisis" sounds better than

"Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown".

If Fox News ever runs this story I'll start to be concerned.

Oh No!!!! :o

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,141697,00.html

This story was covered EVERYWHERE, regardless of political affiliation.

-Tony

OK Tony, you got me! <_<

But you have to admit as a geocacher that seeing the headline:

"U.S. May Disable GPS During National Crisis" sounds better than

"Bush Prepares for Possible GPS Shutdown".

How about those Chargers. It looks like they have some wintry conditions to contend with this morning. RM

Is that a football field or a hockey rink?  That's toooooo cold!!!  :o

I guess with the Hockey strike going on why not combine Football and Hockey?! :( This is going to be a fun game to watch!! Reminds me of the "Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field"! :(

Edit: Funny Avatar Dogboy!

Thanks Gator. I figured it fit my personality AND my looks. hehehe <_<

Yeah, it should be a good game. I think all of us working will be taking our lunch break at the same time today here at the station.

Did anyone else have a REALLY hard time with their GPSr today? It was absolutely clear sky, doing urban caches (so no tree coverage), and it was literally ALL over the place. I was standing still, and watching it go from 2...3...8..12..23...4...2...8...gyuh! One of the caches, it gives us a location in the parking lot...we see what it might be, go there...nothing. So we look at the GPSr again, and it says we're 70ft off!

This happened everywhere we went! Even new batteries didn't help. I looked at the satellites...and I couldn't get more than 5, and neither WAAS one would come in. I would have 5 satellites one second (standing still), and 3 the next second...4 the next.

Anyone else have this today, have an explanation? Solar flares? High winds? <_<

We're proud of finding 3 of 4, through all that!

Did anyone else have a REALLY hard time with their GPSr today? It was absolutely clear sky, doing urban caches (so no tree coverage), and it was literally ALL over the place. I was standing still, and watching it go from 2...3...8..12..23...4...2...8...gyuh! One of the caches, it gives us a location in the parking lot...we see what it might be, go there...nothing. So we look at the GPSr again, and it says we're 70ft off!

This happened everywhere we went! Even new batteries didn't help. I looked at the satellites...and I couldn't get more than 5, and neither WAAS one would come in. I would have 5 satellites one second (standing still), and 3 the next second...4 the next.

Anyone else have this today, have an explanation? Solar flares? High winds? <_<

I often have trouble in urban areas where there is a lot of metal and concrete. I'm pretty sure it is due to signal reflections. If possible, I try to find patches of grass near the cache to get a better bearing on the cache location. Some GPS's are better in urban areas because they have a coordinate averaging feature. These days whenever I get very close to the cache I follow Kawikaturn's rule: Put the GPS away and use your own powers of observation! <_<

Anyone else have this today, have an explanation? Solar flares? High winds?  <_<

I often have trouble in urban areas where there is a lot of metal and concrete. I'm pretty sure it is due to signal reflections. If possible, I try to find patches of grass near the cache to get a better bearing on the cache location. Some GPS's are better in urban areas because they have a coordinate averaging feature. These days whenever I get very close to the cache I follow Kawikaturn's rule: Put the GPS away and use your own powers of observation! <_<

Heh....thanks. We tried the darkman one by the El Cajon courthouse. After reading the logs, LOTS of people complain about their GPSr's bouncing like crazy at that area. It even bounced a lot in the Vons parking lot (on another cache), though!

Anyway, we got skunked on the Community one, but made up for it by finding 3 others.

Edited by PC Painter

Anyone else have this today, have an explanation? Solar flares? High winds?  <_<

Two things have usually worked for me in the past with my Vista: Turn off and on; and recalibrate my compass, which I'm supposed to do, anyways, everytime I put in new batteries. Both my Vista and my work's 60cs have this requirement. Don't know about Magellans.

Edited by Chuy
Hey, Painter

I read in your log of "GI #10" that you and your brother used a "clever way" of returning the cache. Care to let us know what you guys did so we might be able to use it in the future if we're faced with a similar situation?

Sure thing....now....anyone that has not found that cache, you might not want to read what I say below...

Still here? Cool. My brother gets credit for this. We both realised that the people were generally occupied with themselves and their family friends, enough that...so long as you didn't do something really obvious...you would go unnoticed. I think this is true most times, and we geocachers just tend to be overly paranoid.

Anyway, my brother simply sat in front of the lamp posts, and rested his back against the post. He took both hands behind him, and slowly and gently lifted the post base covers. In the final cache, the container simply fell right out, he grabbed it, and we went away to log it. Then he went back and did the same thing. I was casually looking around, and I guarantee that no one took the slightest bit of interest in what we were doing, and there were about 100 people around.

I saw this on the Fry Koegel trail while hitting some of the Woodson caches.

Almost looks like he should be holding a bottle! 

872828ba-5ffa-4707-b626-354417dd96ae.jpg

When I used to go to team roping events with a buddy of mine, I can remember several of the ropers who looked like that towards the end of the night. The only difference was that they DID have a bottle in their hands. <_<

Yes! My first bit of success with one of my 3 TB's sent out! One is in the hands of a local cacher, trying to get him to Iraq, and another is with someone, waiting a trip to NJ....so they've been sleeping. But my Gonzo's Great Adventures TB just went to Hawaii, had pics posted of it, and is on it's way all the way over to Florida! Only downside is that the people that left him in Hawaii, didn't log him into the cache, so there's no miles counted for that. I'm just thrilled to see the progress so quickly. TB's are a great addition to this sport!

OK...ok...I know this is probably old and boring to most of you....but I love it!

I was watching the Today Show before going to work this morning and they featured the author of A Treasure's Trove - a children's book written by a tech millionaire who cashed out. Kind of interesting to me, because I have kids and many of my clients have tech wealth and have put there money to use in interesting ways.

The author then went on to show the jewels that are traded for redeemed tokens hidden throughout the continental U.S. That caught my wife's attention. It's a case of Willie Wonka (as the Today Show put it), but sounds like a TT FTF to me....Here's the link.... A Treasure's Trove

That's OK PC Painter. TB are an exciting part of geocaching. I was recently thrilled when my TB Ozzy goes home

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=908

was taken to an event cache Christmas Drinkies in England.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...89-b365ea208dce

It was the perfect place for him!!

There are quite a few TBs in my recently unarchived cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...59-386ec1a7d932

that need help on their way too.

Quick question folks...

I'm tryining to put a link into a cache page.  On the form there is no "button" to do this.  Could someone tell me how to make a link on a specific word?

ex: "peanut butter"  linked to jiffy.com

To add a link in the forums, use:

[URL=http://jiffy.com]peanut butter[/URL]

Which gives this: peanut butter

To add link to a cache page, use HTML like this:

<a href="http://jiffy.com">peanut butter</a>

Also make sure that you check the box that says you are supplying HTML.

Edited by Rocket Man
Quick question folks...

I'm tryining to put a link into a cache page.  On the form there is no "button" to do this.  Could someone tell me how to make a link on a specific word?

ex: "peanut butter"  linked to jiffy.com

Short answer, via HTML.

You'll need to click the "The descriptions below are in HTML" box and write some basic HTML. Be warned that once you do that, most formating goes away. You'll have to add in returns and paragraph breaks that you normally dont need. The HTML will also allow you to center text, use different fonts, insert images and a whole slew of great stuff.

I'll give you the basics in an email but try looking at A Barebones Guide to HTML for a primer on the subject.

What is the "easiest" TT puzzle cache out there? Our New Year's resolution is to try to be "clever" in our geocaching (but we know we'll never be "too clever" so we don't want to waste our time on something over our heads, either). Suggestions on a puzzle cache for the "puzzle cache impaired"??? :blink:

season for snakes was fairly easy...no TT cache is ever easy....

What is the "easiest" TT puzzle cache out there?  Our New Year's resolution is to try to be "clever" in our geocaching (but we know we'll never be "too clever" so we don't want to waste our time on something over our heads, either).  Suggestions on a puzzle cache for the "puzzle cache impaired"??? :blink:

season for snakes was fairly easy...no TT cache is ever easy....

I think the easiest TT cache, not necessarily a puzzle is Bureaux de Change (GCJHAQ ), however, this cache does become more difficult over time as you must have a coin that has not already been traded. Next easiest is Yada Yada Yada (GCJM47), simply because it is not a puzzle, it's a research project. But you ask about puzzle caches, Jenny two tone is easy to figure (relatively) but somewhat difficult to find, whereas Season of the snakes CAN be difficult to figure out but easy to find. No matter which one you choose you will end up with a great feeling of personal accomplishment and wonderful addition of your understanding into TT's evil, twisted mind. ;-) (TT knows I write this in the most admiring, respectful way)

I must admit, this is just an opinion of the TT caches I have completed. I am on a personal mission to score 5 TT caches before the end of next week. I did one yesterday and have two solved and 2 more in the works. If I'm lucky I might make it 6 or 7 in the end, which would get me mostly caught up. I just hope he doesn't spend his holiday creating more caches, atleast, not yet. I do, look forward to more.

H A P P Y H O L I D A Y S

Edited by devhead

Self Reflection on my caches:

MoreDifficult.jpg Pushing Tin SAN: A variation of my original cache "Pushing Tin RDU" which I placed out in Raleigh-Durham when I lived out there. This one's always good for a smile. Neat final location.

Difficult.jpgPay Homage to the Master: My favourite one. Cred to my brother for the original ideas. Just reactivated today.

Difficult.jpgStay on Target: Nasty. Public location and not for the faint-hearted. Several layers to this puzzle. Just re-activated this one today.

ExtremelyDifficult.jpgPunkte Und Spuren: The double black diamond of my puzzle caches. I've seen harder in my own travels, but this one takes some skill with cryptography and physical ability.

Basically I made this one to separate the wheat cachers from the chaff cachers. </gauntletbeingthrowndown>

Difficult.jpgA Surefire Source of Frustration: A test to hide info right under your nose. Fun final location.

Easiest.jpgJenny's Two Tone Colour Scheme: Just a fun little bitty two-step multi. I agree that this is probably my "easiest".

MoreDifficult.jpgThe Blueprint: I get to play biology teacher here. Fun for me. Bad for you.

Difficult.jpgGeocaching Geometry: Based on a Wily Javelina puzzle, I get to play math teacher. Fun for me. Bad for you.

MoreDifficult.jpgOpus 25 Etude in E-Flat major: My music cache. Not for everyone I realise, as some people can't read music. But that's why we learn new things for this game, eh?

Difficult.jpgSpam Haiku: Another Ba$t**Rd puzzle. Not easy. Esoteric. One where you have to think very carefully.

--TT--

More reflections:

MoreDifficult.jpgPants on Fire: My wittiest endeavour, I think.

Easiest.jpgYada Yada Yada (the cache about nothing):

I watched way too much Seinfeld in college to not make a puzzle out of it. Just the typical variation of finding a bunch of numbers and calculating a final location. Fairly easy. Nice final location as a reward.

MoreDifficult.jpgIt's the Season for Snakes: I'm surprised I didn't get run out of town for putting this one out. Granted...it's winter so snakes aren't out, but from what I saw around town last year...it was a real bad season for snakes anyways.

MoreDifficult.jpgWater Water Everywhere: Another "experimental" variation on the old urban micro in a public place. Not really a puzzle as the cache is at the posted coords, but I don't want to say really what you're truly looking for either.

Difficult.jpgChapter and Verse: Can you take what I've given you and make the connection between biblical quotes and geocaching? Tricky to see the forest through the trees on this one, but still a good test. Probably between Blue and black in difficulty.

Non puzzles:

Easiest.jpgTT's MTRP Nuisance Cache #1: Just my addition to the boom of recent caches in MTRP. Easy to locate. Harder to retrieve. Be prepared to sit looking at the cache and enjoying the scenery for awhile before getting it.

Easiest.jpgBureaux de Change: Yes...the difficulty will go up, but of some 200 countries out ther, only maybe 30-40 have been taken. Still plenty of room.

MoreDifficult.jpg None More Southwesterly: A fun location as I wanted to place a cache at the end of the USA. Park road is currently closed so you have to walk a ways to get it. Should be easier in January when the road re-opens. Say hi to the INS. They are friendly.

Difficult.jpg Would you Like to Super-Size This?: My attempt to cross a cammo cache with a perverse desire to put you all in a most public predicament to hunt for a cache. Fun times had by all.

-------------------------------

Comments from the peanut galleries?? :blink:

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

Comments from the peanut galleries?? :blink:

--TT--

Yes- stop it. :blink:

Your caches are evil. I've found none of them. I even took the questions for YadaYadaYada to a girl who constantly quotes Seinfeld lines. I thought to myself- I'm finding this one. She gave up. Even she said it was hard. Why can't they all be 1/1's?

Someday I will find one of your caches. And when I do, I'm going to Disneyland.

Dhsundance

Edited by dhsundance

We're off to Santa Fe and Taos on the day after Christmas to visit family. I'll definitely be bringing my new 60cs (which I've been using since Thanksgiving, but not supposed to know about until Christmas :angry: ).

We'll be stopping by Travel Bug Cafe. If anyone has any TBs they'd like to get moving to Santa Fe, I'll probably have a chance to hit one or two caches or rendevous before leaving (and I have that luxury only because I finished my shopping tonight!!).

Give me fair warning and I'll try to make a grab.

All the best, and Happy Holidays!

Tycho

For those of you who haven't made it out there, I highly recommend you check out the Christmas Card Lane cache before the lights come down. I know many of you have been to this place before, but it is certainly worth a trip back each year. And if you are like me who had never been there before, it is a must do. Make sure you say hi to Jane and Simon when your reach the cache. RM

Comments from the peanut galleries?? ;)

At the risk of encouraging him, I think TT has added a whole 'nuther level of fun to the game. I have done them all except the RDU one and None More Southwesterly, and I must say I have experienced the full monte of emotions -- from pure, inadulterated frustration where I might have strung him up if I could have caught him -- to absolute exhilaration. This full range of emotion is usually experienced each time I attempt to solve a TT puzzle cache. Its like this: Why do I keep banging my head with a crowbar? It feels so good when I stop!! :D Keep 'em coming! :D

By the way, I ran into Devhead and Steve of Dillon Gang this morning in the 'hood out trying to complete some of the TT caches they claimed to have solved. They were working on Chapter and Verse at the time and were heading towards A Surefire Source of Frustration. Good luck, guys!

Not only is Christmas Card Lane in Rancho Penasquitos a festive cache to go to, but there is Circle of Lights in ?Santee?. With the latter one, you get to meet NightHunter and a get a treat to boot! (Not to say meeting NH isn't a treat! ;) )

You need to hurry & do these soon. The latter one needs to be done tonight or tomorrow night. For a hint, see our pictures. LOL

Not only is Christmas Card Lane in Rancho Penasquitos a festive cache to go to, but there is Circle of Lights in ?Santee?.  With the latter one, you get to meet NightHunter and a get a treat to boot!  (Not to say meeting NH isn't a treat!  ;)

You need to hurry & do these soon.  The latter one needs to be done tonight or tomorrow night.  For a hint, see our pictures. LOL

Don't forget that NH's cache is only 1000ft away from my We Must Protect This House! cache. [/shameless plug]

Edited by PC Painter
Not only is Christmas Card Lane in Rancho Penasquitos a festive cache to go to, but there is Circle of Lights in ?Santee?. With the latter one, you get to meet NightHunter and a get a treat to boot! (Not to say meeting NH isn't a treat! <_< )

You need to hurry & do these soon. The latter one needs to be done tonight or tomorrow night. For a hint, see our pictures. LOL

Thanks for the plug guys. Yes, to get the treat (the yummy treat) you will need to come by tonight. But the lights will be mostly up through the first of the year, and the cache will be there until it disappears. Of course after the lights come down, a cache on the corner of a street in Santee? What fun is that?

Come on by. Should be wall to wall people and bumper to bumper traffic. I may not have much time to chat, but you can still get your surprise.

Well, the week is almost over and I must say I am somewhat exhausted! This was the week of a daily 3+ terrain hike and I have logged well over 25 geocaching miles and at least a mile (5280 feet) in total ascent. The weather was absolutely perfect for all of this, and I could see the ocean from such places as Tuna's Double Peak cache in San Marcos and Chuck B's Sweetwater East cache in Bonita. Today was topped off with a 7.58 mile hike with 2028 feet total ascent in MTRP starting at Portobello to the new Duck Blind cache then up North Fortuna, down the saddle, up South Fortuna to T.R.'s new one, back down to the saddle, down to the valley floor, across to Shepard's Canyon and back to Portobello. Phew!! :D

On a related note, it has been reported that Mars (the company, not the planet) has acquired Mission Trails Regional Park and plans to build an M&M's packaging plant at the saddle between North Fortuna and South Fortuna. Profits are expected to soar due to the current availability of micro containers and near constant re-supply of these materials. T.R. Violin has been named CEO, CFO, COO and VP of MC's. Stock from the IPO will be available at an undisclosed time and location -- coordinates will soon be released by TT. It is rumoured that stockholders will be entitled to a rather unique perk -- automatic FTF (fourth to find) status for all new micros placed in the park for 12-months from acquisition.

Merry Christmas to all, and Happy Holidays! :D:P:P:D:P:P

Edited by FlagMan