The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Pheeewwy.  Back in San Diego after hitting 17 states and a foreign country in a 17 day cross country trek to visit family and friends.  The only two states we didn't hit a cache in were Kansas (which we only drove into cause it was 1 mile away from the Missouri/Oklahoma border and it seemed senseless not to take the detour) and New York - for which I had to log a DNF due to necessity to pee.

Sounds like a great mulit-state caching adventure mixed in with the family trip. One question - do you mean to say you can "hold it' from San Diego to New York? ;)

Duscwe! lives within single digit miles of all the waypoints.  So that explains their quick completion of the whole thing. 

Hey Now! I'm good, too ;)

D!

Yeah, but I'm sure you would agree -- you, of all cachers, had a slight advantage on this one, right?

Edited by FlagMan
Yeah, but I'm sure you would agree -- you, of all cachers, had a slight advantage on this one, right?

Lot of good it did him.... :P;);):P

Seriously, Flagman has set up quite the adventure on Local Treasure. Go get it all of you who've yet to try. Very fun and rewarding!

--TT--

Har de har har. Sheesh, I get no respect! :P

No more rides for puzzle boy. ;)

Tom, ya think? :P

D!

No more rides for puzzle boy. :grin:

Tom, ya think? :grin:

I must say, Duncan, you could probably be prosecuted for treason for that one! Giving aid and comfort to the enemy....... :blink:

You could always "pretend" to give him a ride, and leave him in the middle of nowhere.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Bad big brother.

No more rides for puzzle boy. :grin:

Tom, ya think? :grin:

I must say, Duncan, you could probably be prosecuted for treason for that one! Giving aid and comfort to the enemy....... :blink:

You could always "pretend" to give him a ride, and leave him in the middle of nowhere.

Oops, did I say that out loud?

Bad big brother.

Your ideas intrigue me, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

D!

Take a look at the log entries for this San Miguel Mtn cache and post what you think about the FTF claim. I say PCWoody has it.

Looks like a legitimate FTF for RAMMJET - how could the hider expect anyone not to find it when they were told where it was?

A couple of weeks ago, we stumbled onto the final waypoint of a multi-cache we weren't even looking for. Granted, that may have been frustrating for subsequent finders if it had been a FTF on a difficult puzzle cache, but a find is a find unless it is a DNF! :grin:

RAMMJET found it after being told it was just hidden. Yes, he may have found it on his own as you did, but that is not the case here.

We don't know what conversation transpired between the two cachers. I wonder if Yete provided any hints.

Edited by Chuy

I would have to agree with Chuy and Trail Gators on this one. A FTF should really be logged AFTER it has been posted. Sure you could get lucky and stumble across a freshly hidden cache, or even a multi, and log the FTF (as long as it has been posted and its up for grabs). If getting an FTF was to be that easy then I guess I would bring my friends with me right when I hid it so they could sign the log right away, or better yet....perhaps they could sign the log before I left the house. [ :grin: ], Anyways, the hike sounds like a lot of fun, I will be making some time here soon to try and bag it.

Some people are just gits.:grin:

A git? :huh:

git Noun. An idiot or contemptible person. Although more commonly used, it is derived from 'get'. :blink:

Monty Python play on it: the french knights in The Holy Grail movie pronounced out each letter of "knights" literally so it sounded like "k'niggits" :grin:

Some people are just gits.:grin:

A git? :huh:

git Noun. An idiot or contemptible person. Although more commonly used, it is derived from 'get'. :blink:

Monty Python play on it: the french knights in The Holy Grail movie pronounced out each letter of "knights" literally so it sounded like "k'niggits" :grin:

Well, that was just a crazy frenchman trying to pronounce it, nothing to do with gits. And lots of people still say "get" instead of "git", especially in Wales and northern England.

sooo... wallowing in self pity put aside, for the time being...

Can anyone give me a little info on letterboxing? I've tried looking around a bit, but the info I find seems cryptic, at best? What makes it different from a regular cache? What do you stamp? The log book? Are you supposed to design your own stamp? etc, etc, etc...

Here's the cache I'm seeing, that makes me want to check it out...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...12-5dded6b12dbf

Can anyone give me a little info on letterboxing? I've tried looking around a bit, but the info I find seems cryptic, at best? What makes it different from a regular cache? What do you stamp? The log book? Are you supposed to design your own stamp? etc, etc, etc...

I think you stamp the log book with your own custom stamp.

I was checking out letterboxing just this morning. Here is a link to a place that should give you all the information you need.

http://www.letterboxing.org/

:blink:

You can stamp the logbook with your own stamp if you have one.

Serious Letterboxers also carry their own logbook that they can stamp with each letterbox's unique stamp. So don't take the stamp or pad out as a trade item :blink:

Edited by Night Hunter

We used to do letterboxing when we went on school camp, to Dartmoor (in Devon). It was a good way to get kids interested in using maps and compasses, and despite being lo-tech, it's great fun. We took an exercise book with us, to collect the unique stamps that are in each letterbox. I think I got about 40 or 50 over a few years.

It looks like Dartmoor might be the place letterboxing started (in 1854!)....

http://www.stevem.eurobell.co.uk/Boxing.html

It wouldn't hurt to take your own stamp pad, too. Some have the pads, some don't. I know the one in PQ preserve doesn't have a pad. :blink:

That's my letterbox!! I was into letterboxing before geocaching!!

Many boxers like to carry markers to use on stamps, that way you can colour the different elements different colours, grass green, sky blue etc!! And your personal stamp may work better with your own colour scheme rather than whatevers in the box!!

There are so many caches in PQ preserve that I have not converted it to a hybred!!

ttfn

Jane

pps

and you could always use the B F Gates method of stamping if desparate!!

Am I going to need an Atlas?

Other than the web access, its a self contained cache. There are a few points where you just gotta be on-line. If everything is flowing just right, you can do it quickly. If you're out of the groove, it can take you, um, 4 or more trips. In retrospect, it isn't all that hard.

And for the record, 'Snakes & Ladders' isn't all that hard either...in retrospect. B)

And for the record, 'Snakes & Ladders' isn't all that hard either...in retrospect.  B)

It would take Benny Hill at least 4 hours to do S&L! (and you know how fast he can walk) :(

Well, that depends how many bikini-clad women are chasing him, doesn't it?!

:cry:

or visa-versa! :cry:

Edit: Say there's an idea! Have the waypoints be bikini clad women! :cry:

Edited by TrailGators

Thanks everyone, for the great tips on letterboxing! It seems like fun, and more creative than just signing logs. I'm looking into a custom stamp, right now.

Also...more terrific news...the iPod was turned in! Seems that, after an office-wide voice mail was sent out, that someone had a guilty conscience. It was placed anonymously, on one of my fellow supervisor's desks!

Yes, this has been a far cry better day, than yesterday!

Thanks again!

B)

We should do an event cache to watch one of those puppies takeoff sometime!

B)

I'm game!!!!!

:cry:

It is an interesting idea. It will cost a trip to Florida though. Also, consider that there is always a good chance of the weather violating the launch criteria, in addition to all of the other things that can delay a launch. Like the time that there was a fishing tournament out of Cape Canaveral. It turns out that the hottest fishing was off the coast in the "impact zone" and range safety would not allow us to push the button with all those boats out there. The military flew over them with helicopters warning of an impending launch, but several of them would not leave. Our launch window slipped away while waiting for them to depart and the result was scrubbed launch (at a cost of over $100K I might add). RM