The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

If ya'll haven't done the trio of caches on the climber's loop in MTRP recently placed by Chuy, you're missing some great caches. They're not the hardest to find, but the locations are perfect. Of the caches in the MTRP loop trails, these three are perfect placements on the trail.

Limbo Area

Middle Earth

"Monitoring" MTRP

I'm not just saying this cause I want my new TB to move, really!

Seriously.. well.. not seriously, but go do them. They're awesome caches.

NomadVW

(now finally cleared MTRP)

Thanks Nomad for your kind words.

Now, do want those in tens or fives, ;):lol:

I hope they survice the downpours; I'm mostly concern about the Monitoring cache; will check on them on Friday.

Hello everyone,

On December 4, 2004, at 9A, MTRP will be unveiling the new East Fortuna Equestrian Staging Area. This area is at the west end of Mast and already has the Mast Trail that branches out to Fortuna and beyond.

Arbor Day is being celebrated in conjunction with the dedication and for a donation of $75, you can plant a tree in the name, honor, or memory of a love one.

You bring the muscle and plant the tree yourself.

I will be planting a tree in memory of my mother-in-law who passed away last year of cancer.

I was thinking some of you may be interested in honoring Yrium whom I never had the pleasure of meeting. There's also Colette, Bunthorne's wife, who has a heartwrenching webpage for a cache dedicate in her memory.

Edited by Chuy
I hope they survice the downpours; I'm mostly concern about the Monitoring cache; will check on them on Friday.

Hey Chuy,

I'm meeting T.R. Violin at the visitor's center 9AM on Friday if you want to meet us there, or if anyone else wants to tag along...

D!

Duscwe!, why do you always do this to me ;) .

My unit is short of staff this week, so, I'm planning on stopping by after work around 3-4p. Hopefully, I'll have time to go hike Cowles Mtn; there's four up there I have not visited.

I don't think the cache will have much problem from the rain. Though, it might be in a bit of a high traffic area for the climbers being a little more in the open. All three of them were in good condition this afternoon before tonights downpower.

Duscwe!  Posted: Oct 27 2004, 08:24 PM

Hey Chuy,

I'm meeting T.R. Violin at the visitor's center 9AM on Friday if you want to meet us there, or if anyone else wants to tag along...

D!

DRAT! Friday's a rough day, but I may still try to make this. Look for an email from me D! I'm done with MTRP for now, but with my luck, ya'll will place more! ;)

VW

Duscwe!, why do you always do this to me ;) .

My unit is short of staff this week, so, I'm planning on stopping by after work around 3-4p. Hopefully, I'll have time to go hike Cowles Mtn; there's four up there I have not visited.

I plan to be there most of the day, call my cell when you get out there.

D!

I see that Trailgators is holding out on posting his winning Chili recipe to the event cache site. He sent it to me via e-mail because it just so happens that my neighborhood is having a chili cookoff tomorrow night. I have a batch on the stove right now. Here is what he sent me:

Texas Chili

4-5 lbs boneless beef chuck (pick a non-fatty one to save time!!!)

1/4 cup salad oil

2 large chopped onions

3 green peppers

1 yellow bell pepper (sweet)

5 garlic cloves chopped

2-28 oz cans tomatoes

1-12 oz can tomato paste

1/3 cup chili powder

1/4 cup sugar

2 tbsp salt

1 tbsp oregano

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp Tabasco

1 tbsp crushed red pepper

2.5 cups water

*Shredded Monterey jack added when serving for garnish

1) Chop meat into 0.5" cubes (remove all fat) and brown in oil

2) Chop up the veggies and sauté in oil for 10 minutes and drain.

3) Mix everything in a 6-8 quart pot and bring to a boil

4) Simmer/stir for 2-2.5 hours (until meat is tender)

5) Gets better if it sit for 1-2 days!

6) Add shredded cheese/sour cream/onions as desired

alone? someone had to take the picture.

Notice that you can't see his right foot. Its feasible for TR to remove a boot, stretch out and touch the shutter with his big toe...or maybe he tossed pebble with deadly accuracy and hit the shutter release, all while keeping a smile.

More likely its a 10 second shutter delay while the camera sits on an unleveled rock (thus the odd horizon).

You never can tell though.

:mad:

I see that Trailgators is holding out on posting his winning Chili recipe to the event cache site. He sent it to me via e-mail because it just so happens that my neighborhood is having a chili cookoff tomorrow night. I have a batch on the stove right now. Here is what he sent me:

Ok - The chili is heating and will be unveiled at the neighborhood chili cook-off in about 15 minutes. It tastes pretty good, but I am not sure if it is a good as the batch that Trailgators made. I was thinking that maybe all the bouncing around that his chili went through while we were off-roading on Friday may have improved the consistency and flavor. I will find out soon. RM

:P Happy Halloween Everyone!!!! :D Flagman and I have announced our presence in the back country with all nine of the Sandy Creek Caches and threw in 6 more just for the heck of it. YESSSSSSS! What a grand day of caching. Extremely enjoyed the company and the caches....many of them were quite hillarious.......recommend them highly!! Edited by The Dillon Gang
:P Happy Halloween Everyone!!!! :D Flagman and I have announced our presence in the back country with all nine of the Sandy Creek Caches and threw in 6 more just for the heck of it. YESSSSSSS! What a grand day of caching. Extremely enjoyed the company and the caches....many of them were quite hillarious.......recommend them highly!!

Ditto all that! :D

Semi-off topic, if ya'll want it moved, I'll push it over to the larger forum for off-topic stuff.

MS Bike Tours: Discount Tire MS 150 Best Dam Bike Tour

On November 13 and 14, my wife and I will ride in a 4 person team for

150 miles to raise money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society. Each of us

know people who have been affected by this challenging disability and

in all likelihood, you do too. We're trying to raise at least the minimum

of $400 US, combined.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic, often disabling disease that

randomly attacks the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). The

progress, severity and specific symptoms of the disease cannot be predicted;

symptoms may range from tingling and numbness to paralysis and blindness.

MS is a devastating disease because people live with its unpredictable

physical and emotional effects for the rest of their lives.

I will be riding and committing my ride to a friend in Arizona. My wife is

riding for her friend in Saskatchewan. If you take the opportunity to

donate money to the cause, you'll get little in return. But know that the

money you donate goes to the cause.

To donate via Paypal: http://www.nomadvw.org : Click <E-pledge> icon at

the top. You can expect a full report on donations and information after

the completion of the ride.

If you prefer not to use Paypal and are in San Diego, feel free to mail me a check. Drop me an email and let me know you'd like to do so and I will shoot you my mailing address.

Wish us luck! I'm a consistent rider, but my wife is not. We expect to tandem bike as much as possible. I might even toss in one of the TeamVW boys if the wife gets wore out.

NomadVW

I just went out to finally pay a visit to the cache placed by the Splashes called QUACKS AND CROAKS. It's in Wilderness Gardens County Park, and was a larva from the Viridian Queen cache. Although I suggested the location in the first place, I have to say that this is a cache well worth visiting. The area, even in autumn, is very peaceful and beautiful. Bring a bird book along, since birds are all over here due to the ponds. There are lots of picnic benches, both in the parking area, and along the trails. This park is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful in the county.

Since it's a County park, there's a $2 charge for parking, but it's well worth it. The park is open until 4pm and is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. They have free guided hikes, but they must be reserved (760-742-1631).

Parsa

I came across this and had to share it, Jeff will probably hate me for it... Jeff, I can't believe you didn't know how many shots are in a pony! :unsure:

visit link

Congrats!

D!

Hehe, I used to have classes in that building where he's sitting, and I worked across the street at the planetarium for three years.

Parsa

I came across this and had to share it, Jeff will probably hate me for it...  <snip>

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid

who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

ferris_bueller_05.jpg

Then...

ben_stein_a.jpg

and now

Alright ya' hayseeds, it's a stick-up. Everybody freeze. Everybody down on the ground.

Well, which is it young feller? You want I should freeze or get down on the ground? Mean to say, if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'ma gonna be in motion. You see...

Shut up!

Raising Arizona

Let's go get Nathan Jr.!

On Tuesday, Nov 9th around 4:30p, I'm taking some co-workers up to Santee Overlook using the Mission Gorge trailhead. If anyone wants to join us, email me.

I visited Pyle Driver last week, but if someone wants to visit it, I won't hesitate to accompany you.

I expect it to be a 45 minute hike going up and maybe 30minutes going down. The hike is straight up, unlike the zig zagging of Cowles Mtn. Visiting Pyle Driver will add about 30 minutes and it will be dark by then, which shouldn't be a problem as I visited it on a moonless night.

chuyrobles@cox.net

Edited by Chuy
I went on the twizard tournament last month, that was the best geocache ever...

you have to find like 6 geocaches all over San Diego... Just to find the big one.  Are there alot like this????

-Travis :ph34r:  :lol:  :D

I take it you mean multi's where each waypoint has its own waypoint designation.

These come to mind:

War, 1st of 4.

Finding Nemo, 1st of 5.

I'm sure there are others. I haven't visited the War caches; the Nemo are relatively close together.

The Super Geocache is a nice mutli that starts out near Ranchol San Diego and ends on the coast.

Edited by Chuy
I came across this and had to share it, Jeff will probably hate me for it...  Jeff, I can't believe you didn't know how many shots are in a pony! :D

visit link

Congrats!

D!

Wow! Looks like somebody's been doing some stalking of me instead of caching! :lol:

Yes...I beat Ben.. 5-4 in the final round. Incidentally, my brother (The Cow Spots) also was on Win Ben Stein's Money and tied Ben in the final round. He got more questions correct, but I got more cash! Take that big brother!

Well Duncan, thanks for digging that lovely story. Truly kind of you. I guess I cannot outrun my past.....(sigh). So here's the resume:

I also was a semi-finalist in the 1993 Jeopardy! College Tournament. And an alternate once on Millionaire. Never made it to the hot seat, but I got a free trip to New York out of it and got to pee next to Regis Philbin in the men's bathroom there! What a highlight!

So why all the gameshows? Hey...had to pay for school somehow. And work-study just didn't cut it! :lol:

And yes Chuy....I have the tapes.

--TT--

Geocacher & Former Game Show Junkie. :lol::ph34r:

Edited by TucsonThompsen
I went on the twizard tournament last month, that was the best geocache ever...

you have to find like 6 geocaches all over San Diego... Just to find the big one.  Are there alot like this????

-Travis

Well, this is the same yet completely different...

Snakes & Ladders (GCJG08) in Escondido has, um, more than two waypoints. Its technically possible to do the cache in one day but not realistic. Its a great team cache with a full-on adventure right in the city.

I wouldn't recommend it to a newer cacher without too many caches but I've been surprised. Certainly worth reading the logs.

431608ca-6868-4e21-ac63-c7aef7a2d3c5.jpg