The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

It's not the big 900, but I'm gonna break the 50 cache mark tomorrow. Started just under 30 days ago. I'd have broken it today, but got nailed with the dreaded DNF. It's a toss up between Blueprint and Point Loma High... might have to flip the geocoin once or twice. Needing to hurry up as I move to Japan in January... and the cache count there is much lower than here to find.

VW

Yeppers always dangerous. Most don't go out of thier way to bite you unless you grab or step on them. They don't always rattle either and at that age I would be amazed if you heard it. Next time watch the tounge if it starts to very slowly flick up and down he's got a beed on you. Some say the young are more toxic because they can not control thier venom, not true they can pack a punch but the adult have about 10 times the venom the young have.

I see em all the time on thew trail what's dangerous is most people don't. BTW I would be defensive too if a giant were looking down on me.

Edited by climberX

Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count...

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe.

...who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Amen, Brother Maynard.

Dave, Team Cowspots, the needy puzzle-solving psycho.

....nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

:( Where's my useless number, I must have one.

Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count...

(dang, why didn't I think of this earlier!)

Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see

I really had to question my parenting judgement when my 6yo daughter walked through the house, hitting a pot with a wooden spoon.

Bring out yer dead! Bring out yer dead!

Turns out, Holy Grail is the only Monty Python movie that can be watched with kids. I watched Life of Brian the other day....zoiks! Fergot about that part, oh, that one too.

Hey, maybe we should have a movie night event cache sometime. Python stuff would be good, but I also just got the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD. How about a movie marathon?

Hehe.  :(

this actually i think would be fun....laptop computer, speaker system, lcd projector, someone's garage door......popcorn!!!! Junior Mints!!!!!! Ymmmmmm!!!

Edited by The Dillon Gang
Hey, maybe we should have a movie night event cache sometime. Python stuff would be good, but I also just got the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD. How about a movie marathon?

Hehe.  :(

this actually i think would be fun....laptop computer, speaker system, lcd projector, someone's garage door......popcorn!!!! Junior Mints!!!!!! Ymmmmmm!!!

Dillion Gang is actually on to something. My neighbor had a movie night in his backyard. Movie screen, LCD projector and the DVD plaver. Very fun watching movies in a lawn chair out in the yard.

Two things:

- its a summer time thang

- LCD projectors aren't cheap. Right now mostly business' own 'em

If someone has the gear, it would be awesome!

I really had to question my parenting judgement when my 6yo daughter walked through the house, hitting a pot with a wooden spoon.

Bring out yer dead! Bring out yer dead!

Turns out, Holy Grail is the only Monty Python movie that can be watched with kids. I watched Life of Brian the other day....zoiks! Fergot about that part, oh, that one too.

Ummm, im not sure i would want to answer the questions from my kids about the castle anthrax sequence...

well. i was going to post the text from that sequence here, but im sure some moderator would get bent out of shape...

PERIL!

Hehe.  :o

Dillion Gang is actually on to something. My neighbor had a movie night in his backyard. Movie screen, LCD projector and the DVD plaver. Very fun watching movies in a lawn chair out in the yard.

Two things:

- its a summer time thang

- LCD projectors aren't cheap. Right now mostly business' own 'em

If someone has the gear, it would be awesome!

have access to gear, will travel

Well, unfortunately, I can't volunteer my yard right now unless Dan-oh comes over and landscapes it. :o

If anyone thinks this is a good idea, we still have warm days ahead. It's supposed to be up to 100 in the inland valleys today. Feel free to make an event cache and invite us all. We can all contribute goodies and drinks so that won't be a burden to the homeowner.

Parsa

As some of you know I am a ranger at the San Dieguito River Park here in NC and was the creator of the parks geocaching policy. This has more duties than I thought. Recently I was approched about the subject of leading an intro to geocaching/bike ride on the Mule Hill trail. I have some ideas of my own but was interested to see if you guys had any ideas. This ride won't be untill Nov.7, billed as Ride To Treasure.

Thanks for any input.

I have the Star Wars Trilogy, the Indiana Jones set, a bunch of sci-fi titles, Hope and Crosby road movies, various musicals (Sound of Music, etc.), and kids videos. I'm sure most people have things on DVD. It's just a matter of deciding what we want to watch. If we want kids there, we have to consider them.

Parsa

Hehe.  :o

Just got the new platinum extended version of "The Fellowship of the Ring" with several scenes that didn't make it in the theatre version. My three year old seemed to handle the orks in stride!

What do you think?

As some of you know I am a ranger at the San Dieguito River Park here in NC and was the creator of the parks geocaching policy. This has more duties than I thought. Recently I was approched about the subject of leading an intro to geocaching/bike ride on the Mule Hill trail. I have some ideas of my own but was interested to see if you guys had any ideas. This ride won't be untill Nov.7, billed as Ride To Treasure.

Thanks for any input.

Hey, you may want to repost this in the North Carolina forums. What's really strange is we have a SDRP here in North County San Diego. Whatta coincidence. :o

Location aside, it will be interesting to see who the takers are. It could be a narrow focus; new cachers that bike. It will be nice to cover several caches in a short period of time since you're on bikes.

I'd be interested in attending. Any good reason to get me back on my bike and keep the tires inflated.

Geocaching/bike ride on the Mule Hill trail...

Sounds like a great idea. Good excuse to finally get out there and replace my old bike. Maybe figure a way for there to be some new caches hidden to entice participation (hides or finds) from those who have already cleared all the caches out there??

FlagMan

New caches are actually pretty easy to get approved inside the SDRP. Best thing to do is come up with an area that you want to use and float the idea by the ranger (aka ClimberX). After that, its just a simple piece of paper that you download and then drop off. The hardest part (yet to be smoothed out) is a GC.com approver knowing that the ranger has approved it.

Other than that, piece 'o cake.

I'll give some thought to placing another in the area.

I thought that since this is the San Diego thread it might be obvious. But leave it to you Dan-oh to out me yet again. :o

I was only planning to do a bike ride, the admin. part of the park thought it would be a good idea to include geocaching. I just hope for a good turn out. There will be an article in the SDRP news letter this issue(available on line) about caching and maybe that will spur some interest.

New caches are always welcome, but for this event please keep the focus area to Mule Hill trail the ride will only be about 8 miles round trip.

The hardest part has been addressed and there should be no lag time between me and the approver.

The hardest part (yet to be smoothed out) is a GC.com approver knowing that the ranger has approved it.

Just include the information that the cache has been approved in a reviewer note on the cache page. We'll take your word for it, but if we find out that you lied, we'll have to make you sit through 58 consecutive viewings of The Holy Grail. We'll also make you do the fish slapping dance. ;)

Man, I worry that we get OT too much in here. They take it pretty serious in the main board as opposed to other forums I visit. Since we have an admin joining in the fun though, we're legit! ;)

What happens when a Mod warns an Admin? Anything like mixing Coke and Pepsi in the same glass?

Anything like mixing Coke and Pepsi in the same glass?

Sacrilege!!!!!!

Now, to stay on topic, ;) I am wondering what the current feeling is about Members' Only caches. I am seeing that more and more people are subscribing, at least I think they are (locally I mean).

Any thoughts? ;)

Now, to stay on topic, ;) I am wondering what the current feeling is about Members' Only caches. I am seeing that more and more people are subscribing, at least I think they are (locally I mean).

Any thoughts? ;)

I personally don't have any issues with people making Member's Only caches. I don't make my caches for members only, and as far as I know in San Diego, Shandon is really the only cacher who makes an effort to make all of his Member's Only. I think it's fine, especially if it gets people more involved in the site and sport. And frankly given the amount of time that some of us pour into this sport, paying $35/year is well worth the fee to support GC.com. Plus there are the little perks...like getting new cache notices and pocket queries.

--TT--

A current line of thought out in Tucson, though none of us have implemented it yet, is to make our new caches "Members Only" until there is a First Find. I'm not sure how anyone else feels about this, but it would give an opportunity for the nice FF prizes to go to those that support the site. On the other hand, it can easily be seen at elitist.

P.S. Jeff : nice video of the Fish Slapping Dance.

--Dave, The Cow Spots

At present, you DON'T get new cache notices, though I can see how some in San Diego feel that TT might. :rolleyes:

This feature is on the list of 'future changes' that are in the works for Premium Membership sometime in the indeterminate future. The code is mostly written -- it will probably use the same engine that drives the email notices currently out there for the Yellow Jeep notifications. But it ain't live yet.

There was a third-party tool out there that used to do the same thing, but it quit working after Jeremy did some programming changes to the website about 6 months ago.

--Dave, The Cow Spots

At present, you DON'T get new cache notices, though I can see how some in San Diego feel that TT might. :rolleyes:

This feature is on the list of 'future changes' that are in the works for Premium Membership sometime in the indeterminate future. The code is mostly written -- it will probably use the same engine that drives the email notices currently out there for the Yellow Jeep notifications. But it ain't live yet.

There was a third-party tool out there that used to do the same thing, but it quit working after Jeremy did some programming changes to the website about 6 months ago.

--Dave, The Cow Spots

Whew! Glad to know I'm not just being blind. Thanks!

I know my way backwards and forwards around Horton from spending time on a Mock Trial in high school and hanging out there all the time during that.

Maybe someone would like to collaborate. I know that I am always thinking funny thoughts when climberX and I go there, and he doesn't know which ramps to take. hehehhee

fun thought.

Don't forget about the pizza party tomorrow in Escondido.

Everyone come on over to Escondido in the evening for the Feste of the Round Table.

Make sure and bring your Middle English dictionary.  :rolleyes:

Parsa

Wouldest thou desireth it if the faire folkes who joinest thou bringeth anything-eth? B)

Bringest thou pieces of coynage, such as gold, silver, electrum, etc., with whych to purchase vyctuals.

Parsa