The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

All you anti-puzzle peeps need not read any further. 8-)

They're gone? OK! -

SoCal Admin re-enabled the Wizard cache, and after discovering you can't upload Word Docs, and numerous edits to make the data semi-legible on the page itself -

The Off to Find a Wizard cache is open for business!

Earl, Ringmaster,

The Adams Family Circus

This is great news (I think)! You guys put so much time and effort into this one, only to have it muggled and, after re-invention, destroyed by fire. AFC deserves the award for the most persistent cachers ever! I am just bummed because I had solved most of the puzzles way back when, and then lost all my notes in the fire. But this now pops up as the "closest to home coordinates," so I have no choice, right? Just don't laugh at me when I put on those ruby slippers.....

Edited by FlagMan

inconceivable

incomprehensible

incredible

impossible

in record time!

Submitted 8pm Sunday, approved 7:30 Monday. Wow!

Fish Outta Water (GCKK0J) is ready for some swimmers, or is it anglers? Its a fun micro container in Escondido not unlike the short lived PDS (GCJTZ7) but not as "walk-up" easy. FTFers, can you ditch work on a Monday? ;)

Put it on your list to grab before coming to the Feste of the Round Table this Friday.

All you anti-puzzle peeps need not read any further. 8-)

They're gone? OK! -

SoCal Admin re-enabled the Wizard cache, and after discovering you can't upload Word Docs, and numerous edits to make the data semi-legible on the page itself -

Earl, Ringmaster,

The Adams Family Circus

yeah, hi, just to clarify, I am not anti-puzzle, I actually enjoy certain puzzles, I was mainly venting about the over-abundance of enthusiasm lately for the cryptography puzzles and the small number of cachers who seem very interested in them. It was unfair of me to vent in a way that was not entirely clear as to my feelings on the matter, and then someone took it personal, and then, well, you know. sorry for the misunderstandings about my original post.

so anyway, please don't lump me in to any labeling. as my husband pointed out, the only consistent is change, and as we all know, the gc trends change all the time.

and really, "They're gone?" what is this us vs. them junk?

I sure hope that is all just kidding. I guess I have no choice but to take it that way.

Thoughts about puzzle caches:

As you may know, I really like puzzle caches. They remind me of the old Welsch tales where the hero has to solve a riddle before gaining the treasure. There's something very archetypal about it. Almost like a Fairy Tale.

And I love learning new things. Tucson Thompsen has been a light on my path. As well as being a creative genius, he is a great teacher. I have learned so much about math, science and cryptography from doing his puzzles.

I also find most puzzle makers WANT people to find their caches and are very helpful when I get stuck.

Maybe we should start another news group thread devoted to puzzle caches in San Diego?

I would love for this puzzle trend to continue.

well, at least I got people's attention, and people are talking. that is one small thing I can feel good about right?

obviously, I am just lame otherwise.

and no matter what I say, no one will ever again believe that I actually enjoy some puzzles.

However, don't be surprised If I 'contribute' to a thread about puzzles too. even without a flame proof suit. I think everyone's opinions are important.

Oh, edited to add - something about my puzzle mentality won't let me ask for help in solving. I believe if a puzzle is well made and well presented, I shouldn't need extra help to "get it," so I don't ask. maybe that is my bad, oh well.

Edited by norbu
Thoughts about puzzle caches:

As you may know, I really like puzzle caches. They remind me of the old Welsch tales where the hero has to solve a riddle before gaining the treasure. There's something very archetypal about it. Almost like a Fairy Tale.

And I love learning new things. Tucson Thompsen has been a light on my path. As well as being a creative genius, he is a great teacher. I have learned so much about math, science and cryptography from doing his puzzles.

I also find most puzzle makers WANT people to find their caches and are very helpful when I get stuck.

Maybe we should start another news group thread devoted to puzzle caches in San Diego?

I would love for this puzzle trend to continue.

I love puzzles too! NO, wait... I hate puzzles. :P That's the thing with me and puzzles: I love and hate 'em at the same time. Drives me crazy sometimes, but feels good when I solve it, even if I do need some help. Some puzzles (which shall go unnamed) I will not even look at anymore. In fact, I don't even look at my filter finds page anymore because I can't stand to look at puzzle caches I can't get. Where I'm I going with all this, well, a proposal... Let's say Arizona Al puts out a really tough, head-banging, sleepless nights, on the computer til 1 AM, type puzzle. After a certain amount of time, after the puzzle junkies have found the cache, why not offer a hint or spoiler upon request? At the bottom of the cache page put something like: Hints and/or spoilers gladly given upon request. What's the point in hiding a cache that someone can't find? So far only three people have visited my Point Loma High puzzle. Is the puzzle too hard, are people sick of puzzles? I don't know, what I do know is that I want people to visit the cache, it's a place worth visiting. So, if they want to visit the cache without doing the puzzle, that's fine, just ask for a hint or the coordinates. I would ask that people give the puzzle some thought, that's the reason for the puzzles after all, stretch the brain a little? But after all that stretching, if the answer is not in sight, why not a spoiler or a hint (or both)?

Thanks for listening,

Duncan

<<snip>>...well, a proposal... Let's say Arizona Al puts out a really tough, head-banging, sleepless nights, on the computer til 1 AM, type puzzle. After a certain amount of time, after the puzzle junkies have found the cache, why not offer a hint or spoiler upon request? At the bottom of the cache page put something like: Hints and/or spoilers gladly given upon request. What's the point in hiding a cache that someone can't find? So far only three people have visited my Point Loma High puzzle. Is the puzzle too hard, are people sick of puzzles? I don't know, what I do know is that I want people to visit the cache, it's a place worth visiting. So, if they want to visit the cache without doing the puzzle, that's fine, just ask for a hint or the coordinates. I would ask that people give the puzzle some thought, that's the reason for the puzzles after all, stretch the brain a little? But after all that stretching, if the answer is not in sight, why not a spoiler or a hint (or both)?

Thanks for listening,

Duncan

I guess I kinda feel the same way you do Duscwe, sometimes, it is just that I am not willing to give up hours of my life for a problem, I did that for a couple years of calculus, on a regular basis.

I think that yours is a splendid idea, maybe they could just add the "nudge" they've given to some of the puzzle lovers, as an encrypted hint, or as a hidden link to a website with it...

anything but these orphan puzzles that only the maniacal twisted brain that came up with them can solve. :P

that said, maybe I will make one of my own....hmmmm...I might not put it in my name though. Rather I am more likely to collaborate with my husband.

after all, I know devanagari script (what sanskrit and Hindi are written in) AND I know tibetan script (what my name is in) any of you up for linguistics type puzzles in different languages and alphabets????

hmmmmm....or a buddhist trivia cache.

only thing is, I don't want to make a cache that only 10 people are interested in.

Duscwe, you seem to have the bright ideas today. :) come on, what do you think? should I?

I mean Flagman practically slapped me with a glove (btw, a double entendre is when there are actually two meanings in what you said, not when you just meant it different than you said)

anyway, time to stop working thank goodness...stubborn database today.

...<<snip>>...There is room in the game for every type of cache and every type of cacher. ...<<snip>>...

As far as the forums go, I just don't really think this is the place to knock any one else's creativity.

...<<snip>>...

especially all those who shared their concern over the events following last year's Blair Valley campout.

Hi Tom, with what you said above, then I am curious why you went so far on the attack with me to say that I don't contribute?

I am really sad that my efforts go so completely unnoticed. I may not set caches on a weekly basis, or talk up a storm for hours in here, or go after the harder puzzle caches, but that was no reason to start bombasting me personally.

I do help my husband with cache ideas sometimes, and I was actually one of the main reasons geocaching was again allowed in the SDRP.

I never said one negative word about a cache in particular. I don't have anything against any particular cache or cacher, except when they attack me and are hypocritical while doing it. I also didn't knock anyones creativity....Where exactly was that, because if you read it that way, you took it completely wrong. PM me though and I can straighten it out so there isn't a misunderstanding.

I tried to contribute to a conversation, with my opinion, with disclaimers even. If you can't understand where I am coming from, try PMing me or emailing me, but please don't start insulting me as a member of this community.

There is room for every type of cacher, even those who don't place caches. Something that it seemed you had forgotten yesterday until the post I quote.

:P Also, will someone please markwell something that will give me history on the last blair valley event. I was mulling that one over too, as I love blair valley, I really don't feel very welcome anymore, but who knows.

I am really curious what happened last time.

:) sorry for a back to back post....didn't want to stay at work longer to wait for someone to post.

Just for Norbu - we're a Circus, kidding and joshing come with the territory. If ya can't take the heat - a seltzer bottle down the pants works wonders! :)

Anyway - I like puzzles. I like games. I like a decent challenge. I've discovered I enjoy BUILDING the dang things a heck of a lot more then I like beating my head against a wall trying to work out some semi-solvable puzzle.

Case in point: TT's Blueprint cache. don't get me wrong - it's a great idea, I wish I'd thought of it, but it's not really a Family-oriented cache, which is our personal enjoyment for geocaching. *I'd* have to research the (*&(&&@#&$*$ thing, get the coords, THEN the family could get involved. It doesn't make the concept bad, just much less interesting for US. By the number of cachers fired up about it, I'd say TT's filling a niche for a number of people.

Some of the drop caches (here's a bush, I'll drop a cache here) fill a niche as well - but I'd tackle TT's entire line up before trying to get these inexplicable 'junk' caches. (Note - it's MY pet peeve, and I'm not referring to any one particular cache - don't anyone get upset).

AND for the record - I've never turned down a request for 'nudge' on the Wizard; I won't GIVE you the answer though. :P

now get back to working the clues.

-Earl, Ringmaster

The Adams Family Circus

so, now, civil conversation and trying to understand others is not allowed? please explain.

edited to add, btw, not embarrassed here. just trying to understand what goes on in people's minds, since they so Totally misunderstood me.

edited again to add: I keep reading my last post, and still can't find what was so gosh darn offensive there. PMs go unread, this is a public place, and I was polite.

I wasn't any less polite than the sarcasm and other stuff that goes on around here.

Edited by norbu

Duscwe! I am going to get to Point Loma High... I'm just working on getting there at a time that it can be reached. Got there late the other night. Will get there soon! I want to break the 50 mark before 30 days. I have 2 more days to get 6! Point Loma High might be one of them.

NomadVW

which one is it Nomad?? I couldn't find Katy-Did the first time, and I just knew it had to be there...I was flabbergasted when we went back and my husband got it. I guess I should have been more willing to disturb the spiders....hehehee.

and Top of the Stairs made me feel really dumb at the time, not so much now after reading some of the other logs. Also, I tried it without my seeker the first time.

frustrating....not for me. My husband has some thing about 'pages' etc.... :P

I was working on "Lassie, get help" for way too long. I had a real brain block for the second WP. Someone else practically had to hold my hand for me to find it. What was really bad was I had done another cache with the same kind of hide and I absolutely loved it. I couldn't believe I didn't even think of this kind of hide here. :bad::laughing:

Useless Stats:

San Diego cachers with a find/hide ratio less than 50:1

48:1 Parsa

48:1 Devhead

39:1 Senior Sleuths

39:1 Ruscal (most finds)

37:1 Dillon Gang

33:1 Duscwe!

32:1 Miss Marbles

31:1 Kawikaturn

31:1 Night Hunter

25:1 TR Violin

22:1 pqcachers - whups, sorry

19:1 Rocket Man

18:1 Adams Family Circus

17:1 Padre Girl

16:1 Pedro & Cyndyz

14:1 DAK Girls

13:1 Dan-oh

12:1 GrnZoom

11:1 FatBoy

11:1 Knic (most hides)

8:1 BikeDog

7:1 Shandon

6:1 Condor Man

6:1 Mary Magdalene's Negro Baby

7:1 Nscaler

6:1 Tuna

After my last hide went through, I was patting myself on the back for the number of hides. For some strange reason, I browsed profiles of all the SD cachers I could think of and those at the SD picnic. By no means is it complete.

Interesting how stats can really be useless. Parsa's and Ruscal's hides are diluted by a very high number of finds, Mary Magdalene's is just the opposite. Just like find stats, they don't mean a whole lot. There's no mitigating factor in stats, they're just interesting.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics.

Benjamin Disraeli (Mark Twain)

Edited by Dan-oh

very interesting stats Dan-oh, thanks. :laughing:

I have less than 150 finds, so I have plenty of time. *giggle*

too bad I don't have more free time and more pain-free time.

Flagman, sorry you took everything so badly, I personally think it is OK to talk to people you disagree with. :bad:

maybe you will change your mind on how you feel about that.

Anyone going East anytime soon, like to Vegas or anything, I picked up a bug the other day that could use some Eastward adventure. I could always drop it off at the feste, even if I don't stay.

Also, I would love to see some more San Diego input on This Thread, as I know there are a ton of Great caches in San Diego, and I haven't been to most of 'em!

Let me know.

thanks!

Useless Stats:

For me, you can reach a point where you don't want to manage any more hides. Some of my hides are archived, but I try to keep the ones that are active alive so that new cachers can find them. If you look at those folks with 300 hides (who shall remain nameless), they simply archive any cache that goes missing or has a lot of no-finds. They continually place new ones. Now before anyone gets their knickers twisted, I'm not saying that's bad. It's just a different way of doing things.

It's a lot of work keeping good caches maintained. Some of my caches have disappeared multiple times, and the multi-caches are the worst since any missing part can mess things up. It does help us learn what works to keep caches safe from muggles and the elements. I see a few people with 3 finds and 4 hides who place Gladware out, and you know that it's going to die a miserable death in a short period of time. Our camouflage techniques hopefully improve, and our cache containers become more durable. We find new things like Bison tubes and decon containers to use as caches. The best way to learn how to make good caches is to go out and find a variety of caches. It hopefully also teaches you what *not* to do.

For me, I find it hard to juggle more than a dozen or so caches at one time.

Parsa

Parsa, you hit on some of the reasons that I haven't placed anything yet. For one, I need to get resources together, and I want to do something other than gladware, something more durable. And something creative. With my husband to live up to, I would have to make it a good hide.

Also, time is a precious commodity for me usually, and especially with the turmoil in our life recently. Death sux.

thanks.

:laughing:

...For me, I find it hard to juggle more than a dozen or so caches at one time.

The brainstroming, planning and set-up that goes into a solid cache can be loads 'o work. That alone is enough to limit new cache placement. When an existing cache needs attention or when real life interrupts (Come quick! Barbie got flushed down the toilet and there's water all over the bathroon floor!) it conflicts with the new one I might be working on.

I also wonder what MY placed cache limit is. When I reach it, I suppose I'll start sorting out the tired cache and retire them. My hides seem to work well with new concepts or ones not used for a while. Once they become "common" they don't hold as much shine for me.

Useless Stats:

48:1 Parsa

48:1 Devhead

39:1 Senior Sleuths

39:1 Ruscal (most finds)

37:1 Dillon Gang

33:1 Duscwe!

32:1 Miss Marbles

31:1 Kawikaturn

31:1 Night Hunter

25:1 TR Violin

19:1 Rocket Man

18:1 Adams Family Circus

17:1 Padre Girl

16:1 Pedro & Cyndyz

14:1 DAK Girls

13:1 Dan-oh

12:1 GrnZoom

11:1 FatBoy

11:1 Knic (most hides)

8:1 BikeDog

7:1 Shandon

6:1 Condor Man

6:1 Mary Magdalene's Negro Baby

7:1 Nscaler

6:1 Tuna

After my last hide went through, I was patting myself on the back for the number of hides. For some strange reason, I browsed profiles of all the SD cachers I could think of and those at the SD picnic. By no means is it complete.

Interesting how stats can really be useless. Parsa's and Ruscal's hides are diluted by a very high number of finds, Mary Magdalene's is just the opposite. Just like find stats, they don't mean a whole lot. There's no mitigating factor in stats, they're just interesting.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics.

Benjamin Disraeli (Mark Twain)

:bad: I think we've been slighted! :laughing:

I love puzzles too! NO, wait... I hate puzzles. :bad: That's the thing with me and puzzles: I love and hate 'em at the same time. Drives me crazy sometimes, but feels good when I solve it, even if I do need some help. Some puzzles (which shall go unnamed) I will not even look at anymore. In fact, I don't even look at my filter finds page anymore because I can't stand to look at puzzle caches I can't get. Where I'm I going with all this, well, a proposal... Let's say Arizona Al puts out a really tough, head-banging, sleepless nights, on the computer til 1 AM, type puzzle. After a certain amount of time, after the puzzle junkies have found the cache, why not offer a hint or spoiler upon request? At the bottom of the cache page put something like: Hints and/or spoilers gladly given upon request. What's the point in hiding a cache that someone can't find? So far only three people have visited my Point Loma High puzzle. Is the puzzle too hard, are people sick of puzzles? I don't know, what I do know is that I want people to visit the cache, it's a place worth visiting. So, if they want to visit the cache without doing the puzzle, that's fine, just ask for a hint or the coordinates. I would ask that people give the puzzle some thought, that's the reason for the puzzles after all, stretch the brain a little? But after all that stretching, if the answer is not in sight, why not a spoiler or a hint (or both)?

Thanks for listening,

Duncan

sorry chaps, been buzy, here's about 2.5 cents worth....

I hear ya Duscwe! I can't stand puzzle caches....seeing them listed, solving them, finding them, placing them......they make me think too much. and since it's listed, i gotta solve it. :bad:

as long as someone places them...i'll keep doing them. feels good to stretch your brain a bit doesn't it.

after the insane, needy, constantly driven psychos that create and solve these puzzle have had a go at it....i intend to put in more hints to solve.

as for the puzzle masters...i have no qualms about emailing them for a nudge here and there if i need it...and they have responded immediately with necessary info.

on the topic of hides versus finds....i think i have maxed out my hides. i try to maintain all of my hides and check on them reasonably quickly when there is a dnf.

taking a break on puzzle at the moment and am working on getting my class in order. however, i'm hoping to get to Pt. Loma this weekend to take on Duscwe :D

as for the two combatants.....shame on you :laughing:

Anyone going East anytime soon, like to Vegas or anything, I picked up a bug the other day that could use some Eastward adventure. I could always drop it off at the feste, even if I don't stay.

I'm off to Philly in 2 weeks and Chicago in 3. Plan on doing some caching between meetings. I'd be glad to drop off TBs. I'll be at the Feste (traffic forgiving).

Tycho

I'm off to Philly in 2 weeks and Chicago in 3. Plan on doing some caching between meetings. I'd be glad to drop off TBs. I'll be at the Feste (traffic forgiving).

Tycho

:laughing: Cool, I will probably make it by. That sounds perfect!

thanks!

Three shall be the number of the counting and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count...

Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe.

...who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Amen, Brother Maynard.

Dave, Team Cowspots, the needy puzzle-solving psycho.