community trackables

I'm not sure what a community trackable is. I know that lots of people buy trackables and send them out into the world to travel, but they are all owned by players.

However, they do go missing quite often, so it is common to find a cache where on the listing it says there is meant to be a trackable in there when there aren't. And some people are bad at logging them (or don't realise they've picked up a trackable) so sometimes you'll find a trackable in a cache which is not listed - though this is rarer.

3 hours ago, mummyanddaddyp said:

Hi 

has anybody else found community trackables?

jus tfound some in a cache \ which said it had none in

What is a community trackable?

If you found a TB in a cache, even though the cache inventory didn't list it, there could be a couple of reasons: someone just dropped it and hasn't had a change to log it into the cache.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.printer.friendly&id=10#p148

If you pick up a trackable that is not logged into the inventory of the cache you find it in, be considerate and give the person who left it there a few days to post their log online. This lets them complete their part of the trackable's journey, and keeps the trackable's travel record accurate.

21 hours ago, mummyanddaddyp said:

has anybody else found community trackables?

jus tfound some in a cache \ which said it had none in

Curious... Possible that they were swag in the cache, and not an active trackable ?    Swag wouldn't show on a cache's inventory (not activated).

Noticed you have two "community volunteer tags" activated/owned by you as of yesterday...

IIRC, community volunteer tags were trackables that would either be handed to cachers at events by a Groundspeak volunteer, or they'd drop one in a cache as swag.  A fun gift.   :)

If I found a couple and later found none were activated, I'd activate one, and place the others in various caches to spread the fun around...

On 12/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, cerberus1 said:

IIRC, community volunteer tags were trackables that would either be handed to cachers at events by a Groundspeak volunteer, or they'd drop one in a cache as swag.

I have one, given to me by a reviewer at a mega event, where I was cache builder. It happened when I was out checking the cache stages for maintenance needs. Very nice, and I almost didn't know what happened in the dark. :)