Odd behavior with lists in iphone app

ras_oscar

I have experienced the following behavior on multiple occasions when using the iphone app ( version 8.65.0 on IOS 15.2)

1. I run my local pocket queiry and download it to GSAK ( version 9.0.0)

2.  I delete the PQ in Groundspeak

3. I rename the PQ file to { state name followed by month and year}

4. I delete the previous months list from my geocaching account.

5. I create a list in my Groundspeak account from GSAK using  "geocaching.com access"->"List Manager"->"Create a New list" and new  then "Add Caches to list" (It takes a long time to upload 1000 caches)

6.  In my phone app, on the new list I select "download offline data" Then I select the "old" list and select " remove offline data".  ( I have cellular data turned off for the geocaching app)

Now for the inexplainable behavior. Despite the fact that I have delete the original list in my groundpseak account, and deleted offline data, the old list stays visible for up to a week before magically disappearing from my app. At first I was using the same names for the data files, and was really confused. Then I wised up and have since taken to renaming the data files (state name followed by month and year) so I can distinguish them. Is there something else I need to do to make the old list disappear?

17 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

the old list stays visible for up to a week before magically disappearing from my app.

I thought all pocket queries stayed on the app for one week? Am I misunderstanding what's happening?

4.8. Create a Pocket Query

Premium Members can use the Pocket Query (PQ) feature to create a set of caches to download to GPS devices and the Geocaching® app. A PQ can include up to 1000 caches according to the filters you choose. The PQ will automatically download to the Geocaching® app and remains there for 7 days.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=118

Edited by Max and 99
52 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

Now for the inexplainable behavior. Despite the fact that I have delete the original list in my groundpseak account, and deleted offline data, the old list stays visible for up to a week before magically disappearing from my app. At first I was using the same names for the data files, and was really confused. Then I wised up and have since taken to renaming the data files (state name followed by month and year) so I can distinguish them. Is there something else I need to do to make the old list disappear?

When you generate a Pocket Query, it is shown in The App and remains available to download for 7 days.  That’s how it’s designed.

23 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

A PQ it auto deletes after 7 days unless you opt to delete it earlier. I usually delete the PQ result once I have downloaded them, to reduce my footprint on Groundspeak servers.

It stays on the app for 7 days. You can't delete it from the app before then. There have been other discussions about the same situation. 

• Helpful 1
22 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

oh, ok. Then its designed behavior. That answers my question.

If you run a Pocket Query, it counts toward the limit (10 per day), so it makes sense that it would remain available to download for the entire 7 days.  You ran it, it's yours for the duration.  If you could delete it, there would be new threads about how to get that download back after deleting it, before the 7 days has passed.  Cachers love to delete things.  B)

I just ran 2 PQs this morning. ( Because, 2022 :) )I downloaded them and then deleted them from the server. They are gone.  Perhaps they're still there behind the scenes.

An allied question: I downloaded 2 PQs with 2,000 total caches in about 45 seconds. However, when  I use GSAK to upload those same caches into a list they take close to an hour. Is that difference because i'm downloading a compressed ZIP file VS uploading each cache individually using the API? Seems like there should be a shorter way, but I haven't found one yet.

• Funny 1
48 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

I just ran 2 PQs this morning. ( Because, 2022 :) )I downloaded them and then deleted them from the server. They are gone.  Perhaps they're still there behind the scenes.

You might ask this guy who sees the download links remaining after deletion.

Edited by kunarion
47 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

An allied question: I downloaded 2 PQs with 2,000 total caches in about 45 seconds. However, when  I use GSAK to upload those same caches into a list they take close to an hour. Is that difference because i'm downloading a compressed ZIP file VS uploading each cache individually using the API? Seems like there should be a shorter way, but I haven't found one yet.

There's a button on the List page to create a PQ from a List.  See if that process works for you.

pq-1.jpg

Edited by kunarion