SF *East* Bay Area Geocaching

unfurl

I just started geocaching recently so I haven't made it out to Mt Diablo yet but I bet there are some neat caches up there.

I think this weekend I'm going to hit a bunch of caches at historical locations in Benicia, they look like a lot of fun.

Has there ever been a geocacher's gathering up this way?

I don't know if there have been gatherings specific to the East Bay, but there have been Bay Area gatherings.

There are some awesome caches on Mount Diablo. Some of them will really let you know what kind of shape you're in.

We were planning to go to Briones this weekend for cache maintenance, but it looks like it's going to rain. icon_frown.gif

"Today's mighty oak is yesterday's nut that held its ground."

quote:
Originally posted by kbrece:

I don't know if there have been gatherings specific to the East Bay, but there have been Bay Area gatherings.

The few we're planning will tend to be more South Bay. There are quite a few East Bay cachers so I bet an event would go over big there as well. Of course, everyone is welcome to come down to the South Bay events. icon_smile.gif

quote:

We were planning to go to Briones this weekend for cache maintenance, but it looks like it's going to rain. icon_frown.gif

We've cached in Briones in the rain. It's actually rather nice if you have waterproof clothes and boots.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I think Vitriol and I are going to try to tackle Whooo's Wanda? (GC7B6B) in the morning before work. We hit "W" marks the spot (GC26B8) on Monday morning and it was really nice to be hiking outdoors in the early morning. Nothing like a little geocaching to start off the day!

Briones in the rain sounds good to me, but my husband hates hiking in the mud more than anything. I'm willing to wait until things dry up a little bit.

Whooo's Wanda has a special place in my heart because it was our first first to find. I think you'll find Rundex's caches to be some of the best in the area.

Krystal

Playground Madness #1...we have to get around to that one soon.

I don't know about easy, but when you post a message you should have a box next to the "Instant Graemlins" called "Instant UBBCode". Click on the "URL" button. Enter the complete URL. It will ask you what you want to call it. For the example below, I typed "here". It will add something funky to your message, but when you post, you get what I placed here.

Does this help?

Krystal

Dispite the warnings of bad weather I planned on going out at least one day this weekend but ended up going both days and in decent weather too!

I hit 9 caches this weekend, successfully finding 7 of them. One was tres difficult (T-Bone) and the other was in a cemetaryin Benicia that was closed even though I was there during the published business hours.

I had a grand time driving all over benicia and seeing a bit of the history down there.

Anyone else have any luck this weekend?

-Unfurl

quote:
Originally posted by Unfurl:

and the other was in a cemetary in Benicia that was closed even though I was there during the published business hours.

I've tried to get in to this cemetary twice during the posted hours, and was unsucessful. I will continue to attempt it when other caches lure me into the area, but I'm not going out of my way.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Last week I ordered 6 ammo cans from cheaperthandirt.com (6 cans for $20) and they arrived today!

There aren't too many caches in the Richmond/Hercules/Pinole/Port Costa area so I think I'll try to beef that up a bit.

I think tomorrow mornign before work I'm going to get up early and hit "London Calling" so I can deposit the pound note a friend gave me a few weeks ago. Whee!

-Unfurl

quote:

Last week I ordered 6 ammo cans from cheaperthandirt.com (6 cans for $20) and they arrived today!

What was the total with tax and shipping? If you are down Moss Landing way, stop at the surplus and paintball store there right on highway 1. They sell ammo boxes for $3.99.

--Marky

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

Last week I ordered 6 ammo cans from cheaperthandirt.com http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=ZAA%2D094&mscssid=KSEJMF4F5J789LRJ32BKJGQL3VLD36G3 and they arrived today!

What was the total with tax and shipping? If you are down Moss Landing way, stop at the surplus and paintball store there right on highway 1. They sell ammo boxes for $3.99.

--Marky

With shipping it was 27.99 so that makes them 4.66 each. Not too bad if you consider I didn't have to drive anywhere. I'l have to check out the place in Moss Landing though. Thanks for hte tip!

-Unfurl

quote:

[

With shipping it was 27.99 so that makes them 4.66 each. Not too bad if you consider I didn't have to drive anywhere. I'l have to check out the place in Moss Landing though. Thanks for hte tip!

I agree, that's a great price when they just arrive at your door. icon_smile.gif One rumor that I heard (from my Father-in-law who lives in Redding) is that the Longs Drugs in Redding sells ammo cans in there fishing dept for $2.99! We will be going up for a visit and will pick up a few more if that is the real price (we currently have 15 empty ones icon_wink.gif ).

--Marky

quote:

I planted my first cache in the Carquinez Regional Shoreline Park in Martinez this weekend. It's a nice hike with a very rewarding view. Check it out the cache page here

Wow, that's some really pretty poison oak peaking out behind the cache in your picture. Is that anywhere near the cache's location?

--Marky

quote:

quote:

I planted my first cache in the Carquinez Regional Shoreline Park in Martinez this weekend. It's a nice hike with a very rewarding view. Check it out the cache page http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59878

Wow, that's some really pretty poison oak peaking out behind the cache in your picture. Is that anywhere near the cache's location?

--Marky

That is the real location of the cache but that was a rogue stick of poison oak and while there is a good amount of poison oak on the way there it's easily avoidable. Sorry for the scare icon_smile.gif

-Unfurl

Hi everyone,

Are there any Fremont residents who might offer to fill out the registration form for the Bay Area picnic at Fremont's Central Park? If so, contact me directly. The fee is much less for residents who want to reserve tables.

We wouldn't ask you to pay for this - the point is to have you sign up, but us pay - that way it is much cheaper to reserve the table.

FYI: Date of picnic: Sunday, May 4, 11:30 to 4:30

An event cache page will be coming soon!

Thanks!

-Fy

Two caches, two travel bugs, more than two miles of hiking, in under two hours! That was my morning before work. I got up early and hit both of the caches on Mt Wanda in Martinez. Turns out that both of them had travel bugs in them! It was a great hike too! I highly reccomend the "Whooo's Wanda?" cache and you can hit "Where's Wanda?" on the way there.

On Sunday we took our dogs out for a hike in briones and hit the Hanna Banana cache, it was easy but fun.

Anyone else have any exitement this weekend?

-Unfurl

On Saturday we found two caches in Diablo Foothills Regional Park and checked on our WTC Memorial Cache while we were there. On Sunday we hiked to the summit of Mount Diablo - we weren't looking for caches, but what a great hike!

My mom called me and she wants to try out "this cache thing" on Friday. I may have a convert!

Beautiful weather this weekend, wasn't it?

Krystal

I went up to my cache (Bananas in June) this morning to put a shiny new official geocaching.com sticker on it only to find that it's gone altogether icon_frown.gif

The cache was fairly well hidden but it was also pretty remote so I don't think it was swiped up by some punk kids that just happened upon it.

What a bummer! It had only been there for 2 weeks icon_frown.gif

-Unfurl

Oh, no! We were hoping to make it to your cache this weekend. I'm sorry to hear about that. So far none of our caches have been taken (knock on wood) but I always worry about that.

I hope you'll place another one soon.

Krystal

P.S. I like your avatar caption. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by vdbalamo:

That's a shame that your bananas cache is gone so soon. I was hoping to do it tomorrow and the new ones in Benecia on my run to 700 (only need 6 more, but there are very few in the area left for me to find).

Well, I've got a replacement cache assembled and I might try to get it placed some morning this week. I'll post a notice here when it it's ready to go.

-Unfurl

quote:

That's a shame that your bananas cache is gone so soon. I was hoping to do it tomorrow and the new ones in Benecia on my run to 700 (only need 6 more, but there are very few in the area left for me to find).

Congrats on almost 700! That is an amazing feat. We placed a new one in Mount Diablo not too far from your Mitchell Rock cache...it is just waiting to be approved!

quote:
Originally posted by kbrece:

quote:

I was hoping to do it tomorrow and the new ones in Benecia on my run to 700 (only need 6 more, but there are very few in the area left for me to find).

Congrats on almost 700! That is an amazing feat.

Oh, he's well past 700 by now. If he posted that he's 6 away, it usually means that by the time your reading it, he's well past. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

quote:

Oh, he's well past 700 by now. If he posted that he's 6 away, it usually means that by the time your reading it, he's well past. icon_wink.gif

I wish I had as much time to cache as he does!

quote:

quote:

Well, I've got a replacement cache assembled and I might try to get it placed some morning this week. I'll post a notice here when it it's ready to go.

-Unfurl

I replaced the cache this morning and it's all ready to go! Have fun! (and don't steal my cache!) icon_smile.gif

Bananas In June

-Unfurl

quote:

I replaced the cache this morning and it's all ready to go! Have fun! (and don't steal my cache!) icon_smile.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59878

-Unfurl

Cool! I hope we will be able to head up there this weekend. Our cache was approved today and is also waiting to be found! Enjoy!

We've only found about 60 caches so far and have hidden 5. There seems to be a trend around here lately...quickly placed caches that pay little attention to detail.

I am not in this for the trinkets, even though most of these caches have almost nothing in them, but I do like a good hunt. Some of the ones we have seen involve fun things like climbing fences, crawling through prickly vines, and pulling the cache out of poison oak.

Does anyone else out there feel like this? When we started caching we were so thrilled with the hunt...now we find ourselved grumbling all the time. We plan on placing some nice caches in the coming months, but we can't improve this on our own.

Any thoughts?

Krystal

This thread started about a week before I wacked my leg and had to slow up on caches in the Briones/ Walnut Cr/ Diablo area. That week, I'd even _run_ intermediate orienteering at Shell, and did okay.

I've enjoyed the Rundex runs and her special glass caches. It seems I'm in it for the plastic goodies and t-bugs. I'm happy with most all tuperwares I've found in area. It is amazing how many access points have been shown to me thru caching. Looking forward to finding your plastic trade toys.

quote:
Originally posted by bthomas:

I've enjoyed the Rundex runs and her special glass caches. It seems I'm in it for the plastic goodies and t-bugs. I'm happy with most all tuperwares I've found in area. It is amazing how many access points have been shown to me thru caching. Looking forward to finding your plastic trade toys.

I love Rundex's caches. I will never forget her "Gnome's Home" cache...finding those little statues sitting in the forest was so eerie. And her crystal's were beautiful. I have a gnome in a planter box and a crystal hanging up in the sunlight.

I guess I posted to get it off my chest, and to state my determination to place better caches.

Krystal

We had a similar experience with her Geo Birds on Xmas day. We spent 15 minutes staring at a tree looking for little birdies and then, whola, they appeared, not 1 or 2 but there were still 7 left! We ran into her a little while later checking out her mini-sprints. I was hooked.

quote:

Marky&Joani's South Bay event and pizza bash was a blast last week, about 75 people showed. Any interest in a East Bay Pizza bash in late May? Any suggestions?

Oh yeah! I'm totally up for a get together. Not sure where specificly but I'd say that Walnut Creek might make a good location as it's pretty central to what I'd consider the easy bay and it's BART-able too.

-Unfurl

Diabolical Diablo

We had some interesting experiences on the mountain this weekend. On Friday, we wanted to check on one of our caches and bring a plastic bag for the log book. On our way up, we ran into a man on the trail who was standing there naked, apparently enjoying the view (of the mountain, I hope, and not himself). He kind of nonchalantly pulled his shorts on as Barry approached, but was in no great hurry to put them on until he saw me.

We checked on our cache and it was fine. I put the log book in the baggie...and put it in my backpack. I didn't realize it until we were almost back to the car and it was too late to go back.

Saturday we hiked from Mitchell Canyon to the summit. We were resting at Deer Flat (the half way point) and a biker came over and joined us. He asked if we wanted to see something cool, and we said sure. (I was a little worried about what it might be after Friday.) He pulled out a ziploc bag with a dead bloody rattlesnake inside. He said he was going to skin it and display it in his house.

We returned the log book yesterday with no problem - we did run into a family who was ripping wildflowers out of the ground. When we approached them, the turned and looked at us with what almost seemed like anger. I am not sure what they were doing. I don't want to know.

Any other adventures out there this weekend?

Krystal

Cache in, Trash Out in Martinez!

The last time I hit Playground Madness #1 there was so much trash all along the trail that I filled two shopping bags and could have filled many more. The trek to the cache starts at a park and is slightly steep but otherwise easy terrain.

I'm going to do my part for CITO day by grabbing a few trash bags and cleaning up as much as I can there. I'd love to have some other people join me! I'll start at around 10:00 or 11:00. Reply to this thread if you're interested in joining.

Happy Caching!

-Unfurl

If you come in from the F Street trailhead you are coming in from the east side and yes that's the shortest route. Check out this trail map If you mean the highway 4 side, unforunatly there isn't an access to the trails that come down to the highway.

quote:

Great! - Looking forward to the hunt - maybe next week. I looked at the topo maps and it seems like there may be a much shorter route from the east side. Your thoughts?

quote:

New Martinez Cache

I planted my second cache yesterday in the Carquinez Regional park area. Check it out!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=65537

-Unfurl

-Unfurl

Well no one replied or responded but my fiance and two other friends spent about 4 hours picking [up every piece of trash we could find in Rankin Park. Filled 4 bags of trash and one of recycling. Also hit Playground Madness #1.

Anyone else do anything special for CITO day?

quote:

Cache in, Trash Out in Martinez!

The last time I hit http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=12801 there was so much trash all along the trail that I filled two shopping bags and could have filled many more. The trek to the cache starts at a park and is slightly steep but otherwise easy terrain.

I'm going to do my part for CITO day by grabbing a few trash bags and cleaning up as much as I can there. I'd love to have some other people join me! I'll start at around 10:00 or 11:00. Reply to this thread if you're interested in joining.

Happy Caching!

-Unfurl

-Unfurl

Hi Jimswim, bthomas and vdbalamo the news of ya'lls caching day made it all the way up here to Redmon. At one point in time it was the topic of dicussion at our CITO Event in Carnation, WA.

vdbalamo I never meet you while I was in CA but I did know the others you cache with that day and I'm wondering how did you three end up on that adventure.

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Hi Pepper

Yes, you were in the process of moving just as I was starting out. The impetus was that bthomas wanted to bring the daily record back to the bay area and I wanted to make some serious numbers to reach 1K. There were supposed to be four of us "East Bayers" that day but one couldn't make it. Sac was not a great choice for the feat as the urban caches are few, but it was an area that had hundreds of caches that we hadn't tackled as yet. Hope to meet you someday.

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Hi Jimswim, bthomas and vdbalamo the news of ya'lls caching day made it all the way up here to Redmon. At one point in time it was the topic of dicussion at our CITO Event in Carnation, WA.

vdbalamo I never meet you while I was in CA but I did know the others you cache with that day and I'm wondering how did you three end up on that adventure.

Pepper

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Horizontals where it's at!

Picnic/gathering this Sunday

Hi East Bay Cachers,

Here's a reminder that we're having a first-time regional get-together this coming Sunday, May 4 in your neck of the woods--Fremont Central Park. You're all invited, of course. Please go over to the cache page and RSVP. Look forward to meeting many of you!

Picnic details

-TeamJiffy