The ARIZONA thread

Team Finn

Just wanted to start an Arizona presence in this Forum area.

We have been caching for almost 2 years now, and would like to recognize the AZ cachers that have either posted finds on our caches or that have hidden the caches we have found. It is great to see people that don't know each other go out of their way to be helpful and courteous in their words and actions. Thank you for leading us to some spectacular places we would probably never have been. Thank you for continuing to trade up so the caches contain more than old golf balls and Mctoys.

Now that we have a thread for and about Arizona Caching, let's use it!

Me ambivalent? Well..... yes and no.

I live in southern CA, but I was back home in Phoenix over the holidays, so I used it as an opportunity to find my first AZ caches. Plus, I hooked my mom into the sport.

I've always loved the desert mountains in the Phoenix area, and finding caches on them was great. You should try The Mummy's Treasure cache for some spectacular views of the Valley.

-Cody

Hi, I'm in the Flagstaff area. We did't find out about geocaching until last spring. WE got bit by the bug bad and then they closed the forest up here on us.

Looks like we have a couple finds in common. and a couple of your virtuals are on our to-do list on a back packing trip in the Inner Basin next summer with two of my grown step-sons. Our first hide is up in Locket Meadow if you ever make it back up this way.

It is nice to see a little traffic here. Seems that this section is always dominated by the California cachers.

Part of that might be due to the success of azgeocaching.com.

For those that don't know, there is a fairly active listserv there, and you can also download Arizona specific files and stats.

Don't want to sound like an ad for them, but it is a great web page, and the listserv has some great people on it.

Well, Team Finn, I guess we only have one cache in common with you, the one at Kiabab Lake. I took friends from Phoenix on that one, and now they are hooked. You do have two, Top of AZ and the Inner Basin, that I will be visiting this coming summer, because like Team Lightfoot, I also live in the Flagstaff area, and I am a hiker and backpacker.

Karen

So, haven't geocached in a while, but I work for a civil engineering/surveying firm in Phoenix and we are having a company picnic in Mesa in a couple of months. I've been asked to help develop a "team building" activity. Since we do GPS surveys, I was thinking... GEOCACHE! I'd like to do a multi-clue logic puzzle, teambuilding type cache (and after the picnic would log it on the site for everyone to try). Does anyone have any good puzzles that I could modify for this particular cache? Anyone tried this (company event) before and have input on what went wrong? Help! Reply here or email me at: tictoctom@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance for all of the excellent suggestions.

Nice to see some AZ posting here again! I hate using 2 websites for one hobby, so I just keep up here, but the azgeocaching is a great site as well.

As far as teem building. I once hid a cache with the folks at work. We found a bunch of the swag that we have at work and used that for the initial cache prizes. (Orange Cache) Plenty of great puzzle caches around the country. Just browse around a bit I'm sure you'll get lots of great ideas!

Cache on All.

AZMark

Me and my Wife just started as well.

I really like this website over the AZGeocaching site. This is alot more user freindly. And a great source of information.

The AZGeocaching site is kinda neat because you can get an idea on how you stand with other local geocachers. Just wish they would do a Virtul Bulletin board like this one instead of that email list.

Hi! I'm going to be in the Tucson area this weekend and early next week. I'll be bringing a few Travel Bugs. I would love to swap TBs while I am there. So if you have one just hanging around and want to drop it into a Tucson area geocache, that would be great. Here is a list of geocaches that I'll be hunting. I don't know that I'll get to all of them, but as many as I can. Feel free to comment on any particularly nice hunts, by the way.

See you soon! icon_wink.gif

Seth!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Seth!:

Hi! I'm going to be in the Tucson area this weekend and early next week. I'll be bringing a few Travel Bugs. I would _love_ to swap TBs while I am there. So if you have one just hanging around and want to drop it into a Tucson area geocache, that would be great. Here is a http://seth.dynip.com/tucson.htm that I'll be hunting. I don't know that I'll get to all of them, but as many as I can. Feel free to comment on any particularly nice hunts, by the way.

See you soon! icon_wink.gif

Seth!

http://www.geocachingwa.org

Hope you have a good time in Tucson. I just got back from spending 3 weeks in North Idaho.

BTW, thanks for getting Upee back moving again.

Have been enjoying this wild sport since December and have hook my sister and Dad. I like thinking about caching during vacations and placing caches as I travel. Can't think of a more caching friendly state then Arizona and this just helps me explore it more even though I'm a native. Thanks for the opportunity to express a little.

Matt & Kara Williams

I had a great time geocaching in AZ. I found 20 geocaches in the Tucson area between Saturday and Tuesday. It was a nice variety and a lot of fun. If I didn't find one of yours, don't take it personally. icon_wink.gif

Thank you to everyone who placed the geocaches that I found. I was also happy to be able to swap some Travel Bugs.

I shall return some day. Happy Geocaching!

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Hello fellow Arizona geocachers!

I am glad to see a thread here. I doubt I have any common finds with many of you as I live in Southeast AZ and do not get out to the Phoenix or Tucson metro area often. However, I did get to find Beyond a Prickly Cache last weekend by TMBH. Very nice hide. I also found my first signature item in a cache close to that one called A Prickly Cache. It was a Team My blue Heaven keychain. Neat item! I will keep that in my signature items collection.

I thought I would take a moment to encourage you Arizonans to visit us out here in S.E. AZ. There are not many cachers or caches, but the ones out here are challenging and fun. I have placed quite a few and some of them still haven't been found for the first time yet! Good way to get in a first find!

To see what is out here, enter zip code 85546 or 85552 and that will give you some idea.

Love the sport! icon_wink.gif

Coyote Fan

Thanks for taking the time to find our Beyond a Prickly Cache. It has amazed me since I placed that one, which I did after finding A Prickly Cache, how many people will find Prickly but not go on to Beyond a Prickly. The road is actually pretty good, and even at that it wouldn't be that far of a walk.

I am also glad that you found one of our keychains. Having those made up was one of the smarter things we have done, we get a lot of positive feedback on them.

I do plan on getting down your way and finding some caches. Probably make a weekend of it.

Just started Geocaching, some friends came to visit and dragged me out in the rain to do it icon_smile.gif But I had fun. Course, that day one of our caches landed us inside a Funsticks!

I dunno, I thought we were supposed to be inconspicuous, but it's hard to do that when you don't pay to be there. *shrug* Well, hopefully I'll get to doing some geocaching here soon and meeting some people!

Welcome DarylAZ,

We are a pretty friendly community around here. I see you're from the East Valley. There's an event cache coming up that you might be interested in. It's a good way to meet other geocachers. Our team meets a lot of cachers while we're out so I'm sure you'll meet plenty of us out on the trail. Happy hunting.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

If we don't get some more moisture, it looks like the National Forests are going to be closed for a good portion of the summer again this year. Get out there while you can, and remember, TRASH OUT! We can really make a difference in the way our forests look. We took a huge bag of trash out of Fossil Springs this weekend.

Happy cachin',

Team Finn

Me ambivalent? Well..... yes and no.

Passin through. I 40 West on the way out. I-10 East on the way back. All the way across both ways. Stoppin in Bullhead, Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, on the way out and Phoenix and The Thing on the way back. Oh, I can do a stop in, or near, Kingman and London Bridge too.

Any suggestions? Easy grab-n-go's mostly. Very time sensitive trip.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

I'll add to this as I think of some, but I just replaced a cache Lonesome Bush which I have adopted. It has an interesting benchmark with it as well. It is a few miles off the intersection of I-8 and I-10 along I-8.

In the Phoenix area:

Tempe Sports Complex

Super Stealth

It's Getting Hot in Here

Hummingbird

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

I'll add to this as I think of some, but I just replaced a cache http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=32987 which I have adopted. It has an interesting benchmark with it as well. It is a few miles off the intersection of I-8 and I-10 along I-8.

In the Phoenix area:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35629

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=69116

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=69421

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=22926

That moss-covered bucket I hailed as a treasure,

For often at noon, when I returned from the field,

I found it the source of an exquisite pleasure.

Samuel Woodworth The Old Oaken Bucket

Thanks for the help. I'll try those.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

icon_rolleyes.gif Hi all- just thought I'd say HI and help to keep this thread in a prominent position. Am a Pennsylvania girl moving to AZ in 3 weeks and looking forward to experiencing desert geocaching! Have already gotten some great icon_biggrin.gif advice about it on my question/thread (things I'd not have otherwise figured out -- like bringing water and avoiding rattling things....) and am looking forward to interracting with this quite humorous bunch and finding some new caches. Looking forward to any "events" upcoming, and also adding some serious mileage to a few travel bugs on my way.

"The hint says WHAT??"

*Night time caches in Phoenix/Tempe?*

Hey all, I'm just getting started (just recently got a gps unit anyhow), and want to find my first cache in the Phoenix/Tempe area. Unfortunately, I keep finding myself ready to go sometime after the sun sets. Any night-time accessible caches in the area that would be suitable for a beginner?

Welcome new geocacher,

The Arizona geocaching community has another webpage, azgeocaching.com, which has a listserv. This is a good way to get information to your questions, and to get to know some of the people you will probably meet on the trail someday. As a matter of fact, we were thinking of starting some night time caches using black lights. However, Wolfb8 has 2 caches designed for night time caching. I believe they are up in the north part of Phoenix.

Here's a partial list of possible caches that are do-able at night and easy enough for a newbie to find. (Believe me, they get harder at night.) Put Me in Coach, Hummingbird, Got Milk, Round and Round we Go, Golden Eagle Cache, Sue's Spillway Cache, Homerun Country II, Bunnditos, Big Boys Toys, Moving Target, Nearly in Harmony, Hidden Camera, the Feedhouse, Alpha Bush Cache, Something Special about Sherwood (that one's a bit tricky). Be sure to follow park rules. Most of them close at 10 pm. I hope this helps you get started.

To anyone in the Chandler Fashion Mall area: there will be a Level -8 magnitude Iridium Flare occuring on Thursday, August 28th, at 5:32:49 a.m. If you are at coordinates:

N 33 18.180 W 111 53.564

you will be at the center of the flash and should get a good show. This is at the north end of the Chandler Fashion Square Mall parking lot at Chandler Road and the 101. It will be 61° above the horizon, bearing 190° South. You can bet I will be there.

Back in Oregon. We found a house in Gilbert, signed a Purchase Agreement and are getting financing done now. Expected close by end of Sept. and move sometime early to mid Oct.

Looks like I'll be there to start hunting by Halloween. Of course, with only 130 some finds in three years, you can see how casually I do this icon_smile.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

icon_eek.gif The Cactus Clan is new to the sport. The boys tackled four caches in our area today and had a great time. We are looking forward to many more great searches. I hope this thread wakes up again. Don't get discouraged, there are plenty of open spaces here in AZ. Does anyone ever track these as they relate to other hobbies or locations (such as hot springs or underwater)?? Let me know!

Welcome newbie. Have you checked out the local Arizona website azgeocaching.com? It is full of interesting and helpful information about local geocaching. There is also a listserv where you can get to know all of us better and ask any questions you may have.

Second paragraph begins:

*Join over 190 other Arizona geocachers on our mailing list dedicated to sport of Geocaching in Arizona.*

Click on that link to sign up for the listserv.

The little white boxes on the left isde of the page. The fourth one down has team stats in it. Click on it. That will show you the Arizona cachers and their numbers. You can play with the stats in that box to show the visits per cache, most caches found in one day etc.

That should be enough to get you started. There's also a photo album of event caches. Raw mailing list archive shows past e-mails on the listserv if you want to read any past postings. These are all found in the white boxes on the leftside. The larger white boxes in the middle/right side are news items.

icon_cool.gifWe are headed out Wickenburg way this Saturday. It looks like Panda, Squeek and their friends are really busy saving boxes and hording at the dollar store! The five of us should find some cool stuff! We have to go back and log a success with Novel Approach, if nothing else! Also looking forward to some virtuals and some multi's. Don't know how many we can do though, it is tough to wake up the teen-boys after a Friday night!

Adios

Update: Nevermind - appears the table contains all known cachers - not just AZ cachers as I originally thought.

===

OK, with the home closing and move scheduled within the next 30 days, I've updated my geocaching.com account to reflect my presence in Arizona. So how do I have myself (one man team) added to the Team stats table? Might not catch the leaders anytime soon (if ever) but I doubt anyone's first find is as old as mine icon_smile.gif

-----

Matt

K7MTO

[This message was edited by makaio on September 13, 2003 at 10:37 PM.]

You are probably already listed. The server updates the page every day. The stats part only covers in state finds that are not MO. (Sometimes glitches occur too.) Once you find an Arizona cache, you are listed on it. You'll just have to find a bunch of them in order to get up there on the stats pages. Just please don't knock me out of the top 50. I'm barely hanging on as 49th. I'd like to enjoy it for awhile.

Team 360, we did not see your mark in Wickenburg, but AJ/JR seemed to be everywhere we were...about 2 hours earlier. We logged a good collection and had a few stumpers. Great area to find many caches once you "get your bearings" in the residential streets. Panda is a clever fellow, too! Squeek likes the spider webs of the region. The three little cacti had a great time, the big cacti are worn out!