How do I adopt a cache?

Seadog6608

44 minutes ago, Seadog6608 said:

There is an old cache not far from my home which was placed by someone who has not cached since 2010.  It is falling apart and has had numerous needs maintenance logs.  I want to adopt and take responsibility for the cache. What's the procedure.  Thanks in advance.

7.14. Adopt or transfer a geocache

Geocaching HQ will not process a transfer without permission from the original cache owner. 

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38&pgid=54

Edited by Max and 99

First, you need to get in touch with the owner. Send him a message and email and offer him to adopt the listing. 

If he is willing to give it to you, he can send a request through https://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

If the owner does not respond and a geocache is in terrible condition, and the owner is not active anymore, you have two options. Replace a container or log that needs to be archived, and then when archived, publish a new listing. 

If that geocache is really old, then a better option is to restore a container. 

Edited by MaG_MM
  • Surprised 2

Is there a NA log entered? If not you can enter that log explaining why archiving is recommended. Then follow recommended procedures provided above.

I say that since a NA log may get the attention of a reviewer. If it does get archived it is simple--place a new one there. If not then adoption may be pursued. Bear in mind the cache owner may have changed names and still be active, if that person denies an adoption request that is it. Good luck.

• Funny 1
4 hours ago, Seadog6608 said:

Happy New Year all.  I contacted the cache owner to no avail.  When I get home, I am going to put a new container in place of the old one.  Not too many caches from 2004 around anymore.

This forum needs a sad face emoji.

• Upvote 1
On 1/2/2022 at 7:32 AM, Seadog6608 said:

When I get home, I am going to put a new container in place of the old one.

If it's near you, and you had wanted to adopt it anyway - add it to your watch list. That way, when someone makes a log on it, you get notified as well. You may also want to drop an email to your local Reviewer, let them know you're keeping an eye on that cache. Though if you do that, make sure you react quickly to NM / NA logs if any come up to show you're monitoring the cache. By "react" I don't mean you need to drop everything and speed across the state! Just adding a Note "saw the NM / NA, I'll pop over and check it out tomorrow / next week / on X date" and then following up should be sufficient.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Darwin473 said:

If it's near you, and you had wanted to adopt it anyway - add it to your watch list. That way, when someone makes a log on it, you get notified as well. You may also want to drop an email to your local Reviewer, let them know you're keeping an eye on that cache. Though if you do that, make sure you react quickly to NM / NA logs if any come up to show you're monitoring the cache. By "react" I don't mean you need to drop everything and speed across the state! Just adding a Note "saw the NM / NA, I'll pop over and check it out tomorrow / next week / on X date" and then following up should be sufficient.

Adding a note doesn't take care of the needs maintenance and needs archive logs. 

Correct. Hence the "contact the Reviewer" part. Keeping the local Reviewer in the loop and letting them (and other searchers) know that any issues are / have been taken care of means that the Reviewer can clear any NM / NA logs if they believe everything is good with the cache. Admittedly I only have experience with three of our current and previous Reviewers here in Australia, but I'd like to think other Reviewers are not so beholden to the law that they'd archive a cache that is being actively looked after by the community.

My bad, I should have included this in my previous post, apologies for the lack of clarity.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, Darwin473 said:

Correct. Hence the "contact the Reviewer" part. Keeping the local Reviewer in the loop and letting them (and other searchers) know that any issues are / have been taken care of means that the Reviewer can clear any NM / NA logs if they believe everything is good with the cache. Admittedly I only have experience with three of our current and previous Reviewers here in Australia, but I'd like to think other Reviewers are not so beholden to the law that they'd archive a cache that is being actively looked after by the community.

My bad, I should have included this in my previous post, apologies for the lack of clarity.

Not in my area. Notes by anyone but the cache owner have no bearing. I disagree with this course of action. I'm wondering how reviewers would feel about this extra bookkeeping. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Love 1

I don't normally do maintenance for another CO (unless specifically asked to by that CO) however, I do make an exception for a local CO husband and wife that I believe are quite elderly now. Their caches are in great locations and were placed back in the early to mid 2000s. I have these caches on my watchlist . If there's a problem, I get it sorted and place a WN log indicating the maintenance was performed. If someone places a NM log, after completing the maintenance, I contact my local Reviewer and ask them to please remove the NM attribute from the cache page which they are happy to do.

There are a number of caches around that are quite special and are being cared for by our local community.

• Upvote 1
On 1/3/2022 at 8:45 AM, Max and 99 said:

Not in my area. Notes by anyone but the cache owner have no bearing

Agreed, for the most part and for most caches.

In response to the OP's desire to adopt / maintain what appears to be a historical cache of value, there are some geocaching groups with established guidelines for community maintenance (such as this one here) which require a good relationship with the local Reviewer. Clearly we don't want to be creating extra work for the local Reviewers so this wouldn't be done on every cache (attrition of low value caches is natural and healthy to keep new people and new caches coming into play). The two big issues are that one - the "value" of a cache is entirely subjective and can lead to pages' worth of debate for which caches should be maintained and which ones dropped; and two - is entirely dependent on the good will of the Reviewers.

I'd come across this concept fairly early in my time GeoCaching so I thought it was more well known / wide spread - hence my assumption that people would know about it and didn't elaborate too much in my initial post. My bad. :(

• Surprised 1