The Colorado Thread

Dan_Edwards

Glad to see this, Dan. It will be nice to be able to link to other local state cachers.

Looking forward to Jasks event next weekend. Lots of people to attend. icon_cool.gif

OH! Forgot to mention that Jim Reeb has made the Abyss Cache a Virt. and for those people who attended the last event "Pic-nic in the Mtns,man" and searched for the cache, can log it as a find. BTW, we know who all the people are so noooo funny business icon_wink.gif.

Lend me your ear while I call you a fool.

The BBQ event cache by Team Jasks (Josh) was a HUUUUGE icon_eek.gif success! Thanks to Josh and band of merry men (just kidding, guys) for their work and time involved with this. I was able to find 5 other additional caches while out for the picnic. Found a new park. And meet some new people as well as said hello to old caching friends. Great Job!! icon_biggrin.gif

Morning All,

I used the above term loosely, as it is 12:01 am as I type this!

Had a good talk with some of my friends and met many new people at the picnic. Josh, again, you did an excellent job of setting up and hosting the event! Thanks very much for a great time.

On another note, there is an excellent possibility that we will have forums on the C.A.C.H.E. website in the next month! A member of Thieves in the Knight has offered us around 100MB on a server he hosts and will give us all the necessities required for forums and php productivity.

I will keep you all posted as to when this happens!!

C'ya,

CdirtO

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)

quote:
Originally posted by CdirtO:

Morning All,

I used the above term loosely, as it is 12:01 am as I type this!

Had a good talk with some of my friends and met many new people at the picnic. Josh, again, you did an excellent job of setting up and hosting the event! Thanks very much for a great time.

I will have to second that, it was a great event. My only wish is that I could have stayed longer. Well next year I will have a 11 month old with me and my wife and I will remember chairs... I remember noting that on the web page but when it came time to put them in car somehow that step was skipped.

quote:

On another note, there is an excellent possibility that we will have forums on the C.A.C.H.E. website in the next month! A member of Thieves in the Knight has offered us around 100MB on a server he hosts and will give us all the necessities required for forums and php productivity.

Most cool! Huge thanks to Thieves of the Knight for stepping up and doing that!

Dan

A = A

Snowshoe caching:

It is going to soon be that time again when I stop hiking and start snowshoeing. I have wanted to plant a traditional cache for a while that was either a year-round cache that could be done even in the snow, or one specificly designed only to be done in snow. I plan to ask in a seperate section of the website about how the mechanics of such a cache might work, but where in Colorado to put it? I am up for anyplace legal, but any special places. I am thinking of someplace that would be best on snowshoes, but away from the trail enough that you would be able to easily do the cache without being seen. Probably pretty easy since even in Rocky Moutain Park it is easy to be by yourself in the winter. I would really love a snowshoe place that few people know of.

A = A

quote:
Originally posted by Whiskey Park Gang:

We planted a cache which is just off a snowshow trail near Steamboat Springs. The cache is called Bruce's Box, and is on "Bruce's Trail" on Rabbit Ears Pass. I would suggest possibly planting one at Steamboat Lake, but you would need the park's permission, as I understand it. There are a lot of trails in the area, however.

You know I have never made it to Steamboat Springs yet, and it has been on my "I need to do that someday" list for a long time. That sounds like something I need to do this winter. Maybe in January or Febuary after things with baby calm down a bit.

A = A

Well Gang, I am off to the U.K. the beginning of next week. It will be a very busy couple of weeks but I plan to get a few caches in.

Hoping to get a TB or two to bring back.

Looking forward to this adventure with GPS in hand.

Will get over to Europe for a few days as well.

My plan is to load my GPS with caches coords. here at home and input info on my PDA. Anything else?

FYI:

I heard on the radio this a.m. that Channel 2 news will have a Geocaching story on the 9:00 p.m. news

I heard that to, but I'm watching WB2 now, and it looks like it'll be on Wednesday (the 11th).

Yeah, I saw that last night as well plus CDIRTO sent in an update to the Co. forums.

Oh well!! I am still hoping to see it tonight. I actually had good reception for Ch. 2 last night. :lol: Hope it stays :D

and now for something completely different ....

I was just contacted by an outdoors writer from the Daily Camera newspaper. He is working on a story about geocaching in the county.

I am planning to meet with him next week.

Has anyone else been contacted?

If so, maybe we can meet him at the same time.

later

+++++++++++++++++++++++

here is the email I got-

[GEO] barge contacting you from Geocaching.com

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 15:55:23 -0800

--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

Hi cameltrekor,

Saw information about your Boulder geocache on geocaching.com and it looks like it's gotten some recent visits. I'm the outdoors writer at the Daily Camera and I'm working on a story about local geocachers. Would you mind helping me out

with my story?

Please email me at bargec@dailycamera.com or call me at (303) 473-1389.

Thanks!

-Chris Barge

:D:) "Boulder's not a real geocaching-friendly place," said Scott Clair, who owns a local graphic arts studio. "Boulder likes to advertise that they have more open space areas than anywhere else, but then they bitch and moan when people want to use it." :):D

Yikes..can't believe that published that. But it's so true.

I was updating my log for

Aragon in Johnstown and saw note that billzjeep had a heart attack and died. I know its the Geocaching in me, but I saw that he was sooooo close to 1K caches I almost feel like pulling a stunt I saw in a movie where they keep up the appearences a guy is alive because he is only a few days away from full retirement benefits.

Anyway, no matter what way you look at it, its a sad day for Geocachers in the west.

Dan

Greetings Cee_OH-Cachers!!

Sorry to read about billzjeep. :rolleyes: I'm really new to this (about 1 week total), and saw a lot of caches that he had hidden. Perhaps my first cache that I hide will be in honor of him.

I am very glad to have happened upon this string. I love the idea of snowshoe caches, being an avowed snowshoeing addict.

My first find was Molly Coin Cache up around N40 32.050 W105 05.590 way, that being the product of my second search.

I have to say that my first search was rather comical. I have this new Garmin GPSmap 60C (first GPS unit ever!!), and REI sold that and MetroGuide software. I noticed something odd when I was looking for GHOST 11 - MAGNOLIA BY AHELIR (N39 59.167 W105 23.041). I put in the waypoint, and used the "go to" feature. The map didn't start where I was, first off, and then it suggested that I remove about 6 rows of houses near Chatauqua Park in Boulder on my way to drive straight up the Flatirons!! Hmmmm... After going to the place by "manual means" (i.e., no GPS guidance until I was much closer to this cache), I then realized that looking for a cache at about 7461 feet on a north-facing location was, well, DUMB!!!! Obviously, this one didn't turn out to be my first find. Luckily, I had my 11-year-old daughter along to make sure that I didn't miss out on any opportunity to feel humble. :blink:

Well, since then (and before my second search, which was successful) I got the proper MapSource City Select software for this unit, a unit which is really FABULOUS!! So, I promise not to post such verbose postings, but just wanted to say "hi", and I look forward to reading posts about Cee-Oh Caching.

+dhdgps+

Edited by dhdgps