Inland Empire Thread

GeoSciGuy

OK. I have seen the Orange County Thread. I have seen the San Diego Thread. Is anyone out there interested in an Inland Empire Thread? I love those other places too, but the Inland Empire is so much closer to home (Corona). I would like to start up a dialog with other geocachers about activities in the Riverside/San Bernardino County areas. Who knows, we might even get another pizza party out of it.

Now we have our own thread...I have been caching for about a year now, and let me tell you, there where not that many caches in the IE...now wow they are starting to pop up everywhere...This great and now we dont have to drive the 91!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Life Thru Geocaching...Geocaching Thru Life

usa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by carivercpl:

Now we have our own thread...I have been caching for about a year now, and let me tell you, there where not that many caches in the IE...now wow they are starting to pop up everywhere...This great and now we dont have to drive the 91!!! icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Life Thru Geocaching...Geocaching Thru Life

http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/usa.gif

Carivercpl,

I've been doing this for about two years now. I'm more of a casual cacher, doing about two per month or so since I started back in March of 2001. The closest one to me at that time was Wilderness Park over in Claremont. Now, there's about three of them over in that park, plus the one I've hidden behind my house and a couple of others as well.

What I'd like to see is a couple more mountain caches in the Lake Arrowhead/Running Springs area, or perhaps on the back side in the Wrightwood area. There was the Cajon Cache that I found almost two years ago, but it's been archived. That was a nice hike right along the PCT.

I'd probably be more than just a casual cacher if I could find a regular caching buddy to go out and cache with. My son likes to cache, but he only wants to go about once a month. I may be able to persuade him to go more than once a month, but it's a rare month, especially during the fall/winter/spring time. During the summer, he seems more willing to go.

Sorry, after looking back, this really became a ramble. Anyway, if anyone is interested in going caching this weekend, or on other weekends, let me know. I'm up for some more caching than I do right now.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

quote:
Originally posted by carivercpl:

...This great and now we dont have to drive the 91!!!

Unfortunately, I still have to drive the 91. icon_frown.gif Oh well, at least the paycheck helps support my geocaching. I was starting to get worried about this thread. After a couple of days, it had lots of lookers but the only reply was WolfEyez who I work with. I'm glad to find out that there are other IE people hooked on caching. Hopefully we can get up enough interest to get a party planned or something. I may try to add to the number of IE caches this weekend by planting one at Lake Perris. Keep an eye out for it.

GeoSciGuy

Webfoot - i'm always up for a day/weekend of geocaching, though my weekeneds are getting more and more booked. this weekend the plans are for meeting up with some fellow xterra club geocachers and hitting temecula on saturday, and then doing some caches up in santa barbara on sunday. maybe we should get a group together in a couple of weeks and hit the ones up by Big Bear...Any takers? Planning on hiding a cache up near Idyllwild here shortly. I agree that some need to be placed up in Arrowhead as well. I'll see what I can do about that. And, now that I think about it, I know of a couple of great places out in the Cajon Pass. Hmmmm. Now I'm the one rambling on.

WolfEyez_76

quote:
Originally posted by wolfeyez_76:

Webfoot - i'm always up for a day/weekend of geocaching, though my weekeneds are getting more and more booked.

My son is less and less likely to go with me on the spur of the moment. I could have used the company and the encouragement on this cache I did today.

This was a great hike because it really got my cardiovascular system a real workout. Needless to say, I'm tired now after an 8.2 mile round trip hike. icon_frown.gif

I would also encourage other Inland Empire Cachers to attempt this one. Actually, if you haven't been to the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park, you should. There are four caches along the trail loop in the park including the Potato Mountain one. I passed two of the others on the trip up and would have passed the fourth one if I had completed the loop, but lunch was calling. There's also an interesting benchmark there as well. I was going to try and document that as well, but as I stated above, my hunger pangs and the pains in my feet and legs told me to hold that benchmark for another day. icon_biggrin.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

I resently had a few other members in the 909 area want to get together on a week-end, and Big Bear came to mind. What if we scheduled a week-end conference with a swap meet,to sell or purchase used caching equipment and group caching for sometime this summer when the heat is on the inland empire and the air is cooler up in the moutaines?

What's your thoughts on this.

As white as it was the last time I looked, it seems like the next few weeks will be better for lowland caching.

I only recently began thinking about group cache expeditions. It has just been my son and I so far. It might be interesting, though.

Unfortunately I have a strange schedule, and any available weekends have to get planned well in advance.

I am glad to see that their is a lot of activity in this area, and it seems to be growing quickly.

We ahve only been caching since the first of this year.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

quote:
Originally posted by time2spare:

I resently had a few other members in the 909 area want to get together on a week-end, and Big Bear came to mind. What if we scheduled a week-end conference with a swap meet,to sell or purchase used caching equipment and group caching for sometime this summer when the heat is on the inland empire and the air is cooler up in the moutaines?

What's your thoughts on this.

I think a summertime conference, either for a day, or for the entire weekend is a great idea. I don't have anything to sell at the moment, but you never know what might come up in the next three months. As long as it's in the summertime. My time is way too impacted right now to even think about anything like that.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

I wonder which month will be best weather wise? If it was as big a gathering as the Boompas Pizza Party we'll have to pair up in about 20 groups to make it more pleasurable to all.

If some-one in the Big Bear area knows of a bare patch of land where maybe vendors can gather to sell cache junk(ie...tshirts, cache boxes, cache trading pieces maybe even out dated gps's for beginers). Maybe it could become a conference week-end!

quote:
Originally posted by time2spare:

I wonder which month will be best weather wise?

If it's up in the mountains, it won't nearly be as bad weatherwise. Find a place that's cool, green and shady. Personally, I think July would be the most pleasant. June, you'll have the possibility of June Gloom and it being overcast and cold. August is hotter overall than the other two months.

I'm wondering if you're planning something like this though, you might need permits?

Just thinking out the logistics of the entire thing.

Webfoot icon_razz.gif

From my name, you can guess where I hail from. Although I'd like to take you guys up on the Big Bear idea, my kids (ages 3 and 1 1/2) just aren't big enough yet to take on long hikes.

Anyone interested in doing all the caches over by Lake Matthews? The only one I've done so far is "Kevin's Toy Chest." From what I can tell, there look to be a good half dozen out that way.

It's great to hear from some local cachers and I hope to meet some of you in the near future.

--CoronaKid

I finally got back over the forums here and found this thread, so I'm checking in. Hi. Let me just quickly give a plug for our Southern California Geocachers web site. We're kind of a companion site for geocaching.com and we've got some forum threads about group caching, get-togethers, etc…

Anyway, enough of that… Some kind of a summertime Big Bear thing sounds great. We always spend Easter week up there, so I'll be up there in a few weeks. I did several of the caches last year just to the north of Big Bear in the old mining town area (can't remember what it's called - starts with an H…) that were enjoyable. I'm looking forward to doing many more this year. There are quite a few popping up around there.

As far as get-togethers go, there is a picnic happening on March 22 in Irvine that is an entire Southern California regional event. In the IE, Uneakone and Happy1 hosted a picnic last year that was a lot of fun. Hopefully they'll decide to do it again as we have added so many new IE cachers. Just in the year and couple of months that I've been caching there has been a huge explosion of cachers out in the Riverside and Corona areas.

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

As far as get-togethers go, there is a picnic happening on March 22 in Irvine that is an entire Southern California regional event. In the IE, Uneakone and Happy1 hosted a picnic last year that was a lot of fun. Hopefully they'll decide to do it again as we have added so many new IE cachers. Just in the year and couple of months that I've been caching there has been a huge explosion of cachers out in the Riverside and Corona areas.

Unfortunately, I'll be indisposed in the mountains north of Yucaipa on the 22nd. Orchestra retreat as a chaperone takes precedent. I won't even be able to get away and bag a cache out here either. icon_mad.gif

I actually think the next time I'll be able to go caching is the weekend of the 29th. I know, I know. I need to get my priorities straighted. What can I say, I have other hobbies too. icon_biggrin.gif

Webfoot icon_razz.gif