Trackable pins?

ganseyiii

Hi! My brother collects enamel pins and just bought his first geocoin, so I've been thinking about gifts for him that could combine both hobbies. Does anyone know if Groundspeak or its associates produce trackable enamel pins for hats, bags, etc.? I've been Googling for half an hour and all I can find are the non-trackable milestone and achievement pins. It would be nice to buy something premade instead of commissioning an expensive custom pin or engraving one myself.

(If these aren't a thing yet—Groundspeak, get on this! Enamel pins are hot right now, my brother alone would keep you in business!)

I haven't seen one, but that does not mean they don't exist. I know that there are lots of hard core cachers in Europe, there may be someone there selling them. I think the main use for a trackable pin would be for people's "own" TB (as in, one that they don't release, they just log it in the caches they visit in order to track their own journey).

If you can't find one, the simplest method may be to find someone local or somewhere like Etsy who can make a custom pin for you (or one from one of their existing designs that you like) and buy a simple Travel Bug - the code can be included in the pin design, turning the pin into a trackable item. This is called "making a proxy", where the original is kept at home and the proxy has the tracking code. A standard Travel Bug is USD$5, but if you're not in a rush there are often discontinued designs on sale. A physical shop close to you may help you save on shipping, there are lots of re-sellers around the place depending on where you live.

Alternatively, depending on the size and style of pin you choose, it may be easier to find someone to hand or laser engrave the code onto the front or back of the pin.