Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

.....27,000 plus to go !

Knocked down 10 today including the 5 at Shadow Cliffs and....

Stairway (by CatToy)

Becca's Barbie

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on July 09, 2002 at 09:18 PM.]

How did you get Becca's Barbie... I heard the park was closed due to fire hazards..

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

....I can think of two answers to your question about Becca's cache, but the best one is this.....

"Stealth, my friend, stealth". I found Stumped in the same way, but that was a killer, because coming in from the back side was all up hill, and on the way out I had no water for two hours !

By the way George...I found some black ops info today that you had left.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I don't think your email is working all of the time. I got your email this morning asking me if I got your email from yesterday....the answer is no...I didn't get them. So, now I am not sure you are getting mine either. I have emailed The Georockers again today and asked them what is up with TAG. They still have it in their possession. They picked up the cache on June 29th...they didn't tell me they had it until the 4th of July and said they would plant it on the 5th in the Elk Grove area. I understand George got sick that Saturday night that he picked up the cache and that is why he didn't plant it the next day. I have not heard from him since about the 7th so I don't have any idea what is up. Perhaps he is still sick....but I have made a decision to make a new cache and plant it by this weekend if I don't hear from him. I am sorry you have had to wait so long.

The picnic sounds like a blast...but I have some friends from San Diego coming to visit on the 25th...I think they will be here till Monday. We are having a picnic I hear on the fourth of August at Orangevale Park. Perhaps you will feel like a picnic again on the fourth.

Sorry to all of you playing TAG for the delay. I will try to email the Georockers again before the weekend. If I make a new cache and plant it, I will let you know and give you the coords.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

....the new pocket query feature !

http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/

I just submitted a query for my unfound caches in a 100 mile radius. The results are sent via email as a .loc file to be used in EasyGPS.

Should be interesting to see how this works as a comparison to Brian's Pathetique and the R. Schoolfield clipping program.

Ron

I noticed that the new feature downloads all the logs too. Interesting, but I'd like the option to exclude the logs.

It gives you the caches in numerical order. That's fine but not what many people are used to. I often switch brians pages to numerical order when I'm looking for a specific cache.

The one thing I wish it had was the next closest cache feature that brian sets up. Really nice. But since you have the .loc file anyway, you can just do that with the gps.

I kind of wish I had color, the option buttons in the top corner look kind of dim in black and white.

I'm probablly going to keep brians Avantgo set-up going for local caches but use the search feature for trips to specific areas.( like LA this weekend)

george

george

cachelog_details.asp?ID=70636&L=325987

We probably won't do much caching this weekend. Wait..maybe I should rephrase that. I won't be doing much caching this weekend!! I have a school project to work on for most of the day tomorrow. Anyone wanna come STAR in the video we are making for my communication class?? icon_cool.gif

I do want to go to Monterey or somewhere in the Bay Area to cache soon..anything to get out of this heat for a bit.

Have fun if you head back to Monterey..and enjoy the break from the heat!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

.....Sunday/Monday....escaping the heat by going to the area where my two waterfall caches are located. Going to put a physical cache at the virtual waterfall (converting it) and will check on the other waterfall cache too.

Today (Saturday) going to replace my Secret Forest #1 cache, see if the car wreck is still there (Where's that valet?).

Pepper is putting some new caches in the Pleasanton area on Sunday....will have to wait on those....no first finds for me on that bunch.

Ron

Boy, is Washington DC a target-rich caching environment. Did 32 (yow!) caches in my spare time over 3 1/2 days. Most were virtual, as they have to be these days in DC proper. But I did "You Are The GPS," the cache that inspired my Magic Trig. Found it first try.

Many of the DC caches are very moving. If anyone else is heading out that way this summer, let me know and I'll recommend my favorites.

Hello all

I have something odd going on with one of my caches. Let me tell you about, and then please give me your opinions as to how you would handle this situation!

We have a virtual cache in Parachute, Colorado. I received an email early last week stating that someone had logged a find on this cache..but I never received an email from them with the answers to the questions regarding the virtual cache. Okay, so I have been having email troubles, so I am going to assume that this person sent me an email and I didn't get it.

I sent them an email explaining that I hadn't received the answers to the questions and could they please send them to me. I heard nothing. I then sent three more emails, all through the Geocaching website. I am inclined to believe that the emails went through. My email has been sporadic for the last few weeks, BUT I am getting mail. I can't see how this person's mail would be the only I am not receiving.

Sooo, I made the decision to delete their find. I sent them an email, again through the Geocaching site, telling them I was deleting it and why. No reply still.

I just now went to my cache page, and I see that they have logged this as a find again!!! They made an odd note on their find log which I don't get..they said "Get this cache site" or something odd like that. I deleted it again and sent them yet another email!

If I was receiving no email, I might give them the benefit of the doubt..but that is not the case. And they obviously figured out that it had been deleted somehow. This person has found only 17 caches, but I think my instructions on this one are pretty explicit..ANSWER THE QUESTIONS.

So, what are your ideas on this?? I plan on just deleting if they keep logging the cache..but don't you think it's odd that they won't reply to any of my emails or even question me as to why I deleted their find if they hadn't rcvd the previous emails?? Maybe I should have someone else email them for me and see if they reply!

Sorry to ramble..this is just bugging me right now for some reason!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

I am planting the replacement for TAG tommorrow to get the game up and running again. You should have the coords by about 1:00 pm. I am moving it as close to you as I can legally...LOL. Hope you have fun.... Sorry for the delay...I can only assume the original TAG will not come back in to play. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hi ya'll it is taking a little longer than I expected puting these caches together. I have decided to place them on Monday, all of them will be in Pleasanton Proper. One of them will have a FTF pair of Spring Gaters from REI.com. Doh.. I ordered them for ME and they don't fit the big logs I call legs. icon_frown.gif I guess I will just have to make me a pair, unless anybody know of a place I can buy them in the area so I could try them on. It's tought being a woman always have to try every thing on to see if it fits, EVEN GATERS!

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

Would love to have those dudes, but I am sure that dang George will beat me to them!!! icon_razz.gif

We have yet to hit any caches west of us. We are hoping to do a camping/caching weekend in Monterey sometime soon, and I also want to try the caches at Shadow Cliffs; that is Pleasanton, right??

Is Pleasanton hot like it is here in the Modesto area? The heat also plays a big part in how much caching I get done!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

...regarding the Parachute, CO cache.

Have Pat email them from his account at work. You know it will get through that way.

The other thought is, that this person has not checked his email...odd though since he got online to repost the find.

Alternatively, just keep deleting his find, until he emails you and asks what's going on.

Ron

.....I never buy clothing by mail !

Go to REI and try some gaiters on. Going to their web site will enable you to get a list of ones closest to you. There's one in Fremont I remember.

The closest to Stockton is Sac and Roseville.

I looked at the gaiters at Valley Sporting Goods in Modesto and didn't care for any of them. I think there are some that give more coverage than those I saw. I bet REI has the best choice.

One of my surplus catalogs shows about 8 styles, but again I wouldn't order clothing by mail. An ammo can is one thing....gaiters another.

Looking forward to your new caches....maybe in two weeks.

Ron

Thanks for the input. I emailed the guy several times last night but never received a response. The emails are going through the Geocaching website, and I asked him to respond via the same route as I always get my emails that way. Still no response, which tells me he really doesn't care or he is just quite clueless!!

Still waiting for the new Morris cache to appear..and hoping that Kevin and Ron are not able to go caching today for whatever reason!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

If this cache dont post by 12:30pm I will post the coordinates for the starting point right here. This cache has already been stole once today. After getting it put back I dont want it to get stole again. Once you find it you will wonder how it could have got stolen. Mike

Finally, TAG is up and running again! Your IT LuvOzzy and Fattuhr! It is a new cache box (ammo can). Hope you got your email. Let me know if you get it. Don't let on who the next "IT" will be! icon_razz.gif

Here are the starting coordinates to SUMMERTIME SURVIVAL and a clue Good luck and have fun.

N37 36.435

W120 56.245

CLUE: EIPSP YTINERB. THIS IS NOT YOUR NORMAL CLUE IT'S WORDS SCRAMBLED

ALL CACHERS ARE WELCOME TO JOIN THIS RACE.

[This message was edited by C&MMorris on July 14, 2002 at 12:54 PM.]

I can't believe we actually beat Kevin and George to a one-time only cache! I would include the Morris' in there, but they are the ones who placed it! icon_biggrin.gif

There is still a cache left to find folks. There were two options, and we opted for continuing the hunt on to a third location. The other cache is hanging out, lonely, waiting to be claimed!

Thanks to the Morris clan for a fun little outing today!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

I can't believe we actually beat Kevin and George to a one-time only cache! I would include the Morris' in there, but they are the ones who placed it! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to the Morris clan for a fun little outing today!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Of course, the only reason you beat me was that I just NOW got back from LA.

Weird caching weekend.

george

5867_200.gif

I had alot of fun watching Pat and Jaimee look for these caches, It started out at Wal-Mart and ended up about 10 miles away. It was actullaly a 3 part cache. I had a cache for first and second place. I archived the cache. I took the second place cache, I will give it to Pat or Jaimee. I will let them figure out who was first and who was second.Anyway the cache is at my house waiting for you Jaimee? Pat? I had fun today, Thanks, Mike

I think the only one that I actually found first was the starting point cache at WalMart! Sad to say, but, yes, Pat did beat me at the other 2 caches icon_frown.gif Actually, I let him find them first so that his male ego wouldn't be too badly bruised icon_razz.gif

Caitlin beat me on the second one as well...just not a good day for me I guess. I know..it was the heat..I couldn't think straight..yea, that sounds good!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again..it was fun! And thanks for the visit!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I could not find a real cache all weekend long. I tried for a couple on the drive down and the for one near the brother-in-law's house and I could not find a single cache. But what I did find was a BUNCH of locationless caches without even trying.

My brother-in-law took us out on his boat the the channel islands... beautiful. We get close and what do I see...

a huge natural arch.(my locationless) and then close to that

a light house... (claimed that one)

then driving to a real cache failure.. I find..

a presidentail library

and then driving home I find

a town initial written on a hillside and a HUGE american flag all by itself on a pole.

That's 4 locationless not counting my own locationless. I haven't decided if it would be fair to log my own locationless cache or not.

Finally, on the drive home found one real cache at a rest stop.

I didn't really have time to look for any real caches down, the in-laws kept us busy doing other things.

I also DO NOT like the ebook format geocaching pages. They're not the easiest things to use but I do like being able to download the .loc file for the area I'm going to.

I did find time to 'hide' a cache or two... you guys need to go find this one.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=29022

I also hid a micro along I-5 to give other travelers something to do. Haven't submitted it yet.

george

5867_200.gif

Hey George

Glad to hear you guys had a safe trip. Why the bad luck with L.A. caches?? Were they just tough?

When I cached in Ventura a few months ago, they were really, really easy. You basically walked right up to them. If they weren't easy to begin with, the hints would lead you by the hand to where the cache was hiding. I only did 4 down there and there were lots more, but I ran out of time.

Is the new one you placed around here? We were going to head out to your fossil cache today, but we ran out of daylight. Hopefully we can try for that one after work one day this week.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Hey George

Glad to hear you guys had a safe trip. Why the bad luck with L.A. caches?? Were they just tough?

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I only had time to hit one LA cache. Not really LA, more like Simi Valley. It was in a small city park on a hill side covered with prickly pear. The gps was pointing me toward an area under the shade of a big tree. Once you get behind the tree you see some tools lying on the ground (shovels and hoes) it looked like people had been working on the landscaping recently so I suspect the cache was just gone. I had dug around a prickly pear plant the weekend before and ended up with a lot of little hair like stickers in my hand so I didn't feel like brushing the debris around to see if it was still there.

The other caches were hidden in oleander bushes at rests stops along I-5. It was hot and there was just a lot of trash in the bushes and I didn't want to go digging through them.

Like I said, I didn't have time to go hit the caches that required hikes. I had them mapped out but using the ebook pages was frustrating.

I was trying out my new Magellan Meridian but I couldn't get coordinates to download from EasyGPS, I was able to load the street maps onto it so I know the connection is good, EasyGPS just doesn't see it...(Help from the Magellen crowd would be useful)

My brother-in-law is a big shot at Alcatel they make my DSL box. But he still has a dial-up connection with AOL. I was going to get online to look some better caches but it just wasn't worth it.

george

5867_200.gif

Has anyone found any benchmarks? We went after 3 of them the other day because they were close. We took pictures and all that stuff, but they don't show up as "benchmarks found" or anything like that, and they don't appear on "my cache page." I don't see the point!

The kids liked it because it was something else to find, but there should be an easier way to find out which benchmarks have been found and how many times and all that.

Just curious what everyone else thinks.

quote:
Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

Has anyone found any benchmarks? We went after 3 of them the other day because they were close. We took pictures and all that stuff, but they don't show up as "benchmarks found" or anything like that, and they don't appear on "my cache page." I don't see the point!

The kids liked it because it was something else to find, but there should be an easier way to find out which benchmarks have been found and how many times and all that.

Just curious what everyone else thinks.

That's basically why I don't look for them.. I doesn't show which ones I've found and they're kind of iffy to look for in the first place. Many don't exist anymore and the ones I've found have been upto 200 ft away from the coords.

george

5867_200.gif