Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

I have to apply my standard rant:

1) terrain difficulty varies seasonally

2) distance is hard to quantify. Do I get extra points for Tracy caches because I drove over from Mountain View to get them?

3) multicaches need a factor that takes into account the number of stages

4) 'difficulty' is very subjective.

that said, i give you 9 of 10 for style. icon_wink.gif

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

Everyone's objections to my "style points" idea are well taken. It is merely offered as one way you might get around the problems of just counting caches.

I saw a few months back somebody had the idea of simply adding up the distances from your home to each of the caches and called the "bragging points." But, as George pointed out, it's not entirely fair, either, since when I take a trip to the East Coast I tend to get several caches, while the way I made the score gave big points for every one. That's one reason I made the distance from home factor logarithmic.

George: My new version of the script gets the difficulty and terrain ratings for the caches. I'll send you your current version later today. I found it interesting to see how many of my own caches were of various difficulty ratings. I am pleased to say that only 60 of the 238 caches I've found so far have been 1/1s.

Of course, that pales next to Ron; only 78 of 401 of his have been 1/1s. He is truly amazing.

Marty: You want a new version of your stats, too?

I had to scroll through my list 2 or 3 times before I figured out which one it was.

Lovers Landing, which required Mike M and I to float down the river for 3 hours was considered a 5. If anyone decides to do that.... BRING WATER!

I don't think anyone but mike and I have done that yet.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

...your effort at analyzing the caches a bit more is comendable, but because of the many VARIABLES I have been ranting about in the last month or so, I think it would take FIVE rocket scientists to get this figured out!

Several months ago I stumbled on an analysis of Arizona caches. It was pretty incredible. It had about 10 columns (very narrow) and rows for each of the caches in Arizona...had to be in the hundreds.

I remember looking at my Lifesaver cache and that it ranked in the top 16% or something like that. Maybe someone wants to look up that table and see if it would be valuable.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I just took a peek at your new caches up by Bodie and Mono lake. One of them says that either you or uncleeugene know about that area. Do you know anything about Fletcher Nevada, the old stage stop NE out of Bodie?

I grew up in Yosemite Valley as a kid, and we would camp out there all the time. I have been looking FOREVER for info and old pictures on that site ever since. (I have also been meaning to make it a Virt-Cache, but that's gonna have to wait till this school year is over)

KURTULEAS

quote:
Originally posted by kurtuleas:

(I have also been meaning to make it a Virt-Cache, but that's gonna have to wait till this school year is over)

KURTULEAS

You're going to have to try better than that. Uncle eugne is a teacher with me at patterson high. But then again, his kids are grown and he can come and go as he pleases.

george

quote:
From KURTULEAS:

I just took a peek at your new caches up by Bodie and Mono lake. One of them says that either you or uncleeugene know about that area. Do you know anything about Fletcher Nevada, the old stage stop NE out of Bodie?

I will have to ask Uncleugene. I have heard of it but I have never been there personally. I had fun this weekend. Different style of caches on the east side. Lots of virtuals to have fun with (midnight caching) and a lot of new terrain to deal with. All in all, it was great. There are some that are rated 4 because of the hike that I will have to try for. Slower caching then George's romp in Sacramento ehh.

I am always confused, lost, or heading the wrong direction... Who cares?!?

...thanks for the link (3 or four notes above this). My Fac_Pac is ONE of the ones Jeremy looked at. I saw his imprint in the audit log.

I responded to the thread...I especially like the line I included that references...Isn't America wonderful!

The geocaching web site was created not knowing all of the ideas people would come up with, and it has been amended abit over the last couple of years. Locationless caches are a good example.

Ron

I read the link about your cache Ron and even posted a note.

It's funny how many grown babies there is out there. I have never seen so many grown people cry over spilled milk than I have in geocaching. It make's you wonder why we didnt get rid of those hippi war protesters and tree huggers when we had the chance. As I said in the other post. I will DO!!! Ron's Fac-Pac. It sounds like fun. Mike

I REMEMBER WHEN SEX WAS SAFE AND FLYING WAS DANGEROUS

...I appreciated your post in the other thread, and maybe even more valuable is your comment here about "grown babies". It instantly made me consider my own views on locationless...hope I can hold on to the feeling!

I've been having such a blast playing golf and working around my house lately that caching sometimes takes a back seat...note *sometimes*. I'm sure I'll have a big search day soon !

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

By the way, for those of you who have my spreadsheets...

Try double-clicking on a subtotal in the Pivot table and watch what happens. You can easily delete the new sheet that results by right-clicking on the tab at the bottom and choosing "delete."

I've got a brand-new script that updates the spreadsheet without having to go grab the whole thing. I'm working on a way to distribute it.

Fizzy,

I have been following the talk of Pivot Tables for a little while now, and would like to ask what they are and how you develope and use them. It sounds like this would be a perfect method of recording the caches Ben does for homeschooling and we would be able to show his advisor what he had been doing and how he had improved in difficulty, etc.....Could you please explain how to do this?

Thanks...

Kathy (Bowsprite) icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

My wife turns 21 today. Now she is legal to go bar hoppin.

Happy Birthday Honey.

Mike

GEOCACHING, 50% CRY BABIES!!

If she's 21, and your kids are how old??? Oh mike, I guess it's ok since you're from Okalahoma. icon_wink.gif

george

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

My wife turns 21 today. Now she is legal to go bar hoppin.

Happy Birthday Honey.

Mike

If she's 21, and your kids are how old??? Oh mike, I guess it's ok since you're from Okalahoma. ;

george

George, The kind of people you are talking about are from Arkansas. Okies wait until their 18 icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

One of my Grandparents is from Arkansas, and the other is from Oklahoma. Do I just take the mean age between the two, or is everything just hopeless???

You take the mean age, and then just marry your sister.

george

[This message was edited by georgeandmary on October 01, 2002 at 12:24 PM.]

Oklahoma is a very nice state and I did spend alot of time there as a kid BUT I call Texas my home Canton, Texas actually.

Arkansas is an ok state but it's full of swampy area's and democrats,snappin turtals and democrats, snakes, Oh and did I mention democrats.

Then along comes clinton to give Arkansas an even worse name. Oh well thats what you get when you inbreed. : icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

What happens if you move to Arkasas after you are past the breeding age, and your not inbred? Do they have a special name for those people as well? icon_eek.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

Visitors.

george

Hey Kurt, I got the lift today and I am going to put it on tomorrow. I could use all the help I can get. any chance your playing hooky from work tomorrow icon_wink.gif I have read the directions 3 times now the only thing I dont quite understand is the exhaust pipe remounting.

George thats a cool web site thanks.

Ron, I like your cartoon.

Mike

...the sharks are welcome to join in our discussions anytime !

I just posted a cartoon in the 2nd edition of the Sacramento area thread inviting all of you to drop south to our valley to find some of our caches.

We promise there won't be any drive-by shootings when you are here !

Now mother nature may take a hand though. On Tuesday the wind was blowing a lot of peat-dust off our farm fields,but I bet it was windy in Sac too!

Anyway, come on down !

(and join in our thread too) icon_smile.gif

Ron

It's been almost two months since Gustaf's statistics for cache finders and placers has been updated, so I emailed him and this is the response I got.

Hi!

The top finders statistics will not update anymore icon_frown.gif

Everything is just too big now, compared to when I started. To compile the Top Finders chart, my computer has to read thousands of cache-pages and

then tens of thousands of profile-pages. It takes too much time, and puts too much load on the servers.

I will probably keep on with Top Placers, I aven't decided yet.

Regards,

Gustaf, GeoSweden

The Dan Miller site still seems to up and running, but given the facts related by Gustaf, I wonder how long that will last. Jeremy has always been opposed to posting any of this information.

One of the approvers, Mount10Bike used to do it, but I think he was dissuaded, and that's when the other two jumped in.

Doesn't stop us from finding and hiding them though !

Ron

...Glad you made it to the Lodi area. Next time you come south, come on down....to Stockton...and look for my Century Plant cache. I have three others close to it....Stumpy, Pythagorus Likes Equilaterals Too and Diogenes. The last two are the hardest of those four.

Ron

I had planned on hitting some caches after my mtb ride on saturday. Fallen and I were invited to Pinecrest to stay at a friends cabin with a early morning bike ride afterwards leaving time for geocaching on the way home.... I guess not.

The bike ride ended up being a 15 1/2 mile climb to from Pinecrest lake to the top of pinecrest peak with a twisty loose ride back down to the lake via a small rocky trail. 23 miles total and we were wiped out!

We tried to find one cache near Strawberry and failed, and then planted one on the way out and just drove our limp lifeless bodies out of the mountains back to the valley.

At least we found Button Willow on the way up on Friday. Otherwise we did very little geocaching but an awful lot of mountainbiking.

george

Hey Ron! Those cartoons that you and George are putting on the forums are too funny, How do you guy's do that?

George, do you do short bike rides? I would like to go on one but not a 23 mile bike ride. That would kill me.

I'm going to try and Plant a couple of Ammo can caches today. Hopefully I will have time to get it done today.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

http://www.stripcreator.com/

That's the link to the comic strip place. You need to have an account with them (it's free) to save your strips.

Bikes

The shortest bike ride I do is 10 miles along Dry Creek in Modesto. I haven't done the ride in months, I just don't have time, but if I head out there I'll give you a call. Bring a helmet.

george