Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

How did you find a hotel room geocache george? I wish my GPS worked indoors. I didn't do the Banta virtual, becuase it semed like everyone hated virtual caches.

I would LOVE to do a cache in a smaller town or ghosttown like Banta or esp. Port Costa. It's too bad they had to get rid of the cache in Drawbridge. I think caches in historical areas like that are cool and educational....I still have not checked but I'd like to see if there is a cache in Bodie, CA. Fletcher NV, ne otta Bodie is even better. I spent a night camping there one summer and I SWEAR that place is haunted...

KURTULEAS

I need some help from one of you computer people. I have an older Compaq lap top thhat I gave to my daughter. It has windows 98 on it. The color and Icon sizes dont look right. I dont have the restore disk anymore to restore the operating system. Do any of you have a Windows 98 or higher disk that you could redo the operating system for me? Mike

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the 1st

quote:
Originally Posted by C&MMorris

I need some help from one of you computer people. I have an older Compaq lap top thhat I gave to my daughter. It has windows 98 on it. The color and Icon sizes dont look right. I dont have the restore disk anymore to restore the operating system. Do any of you have a Windows 98 or higher disk that you could redo the operating system for me? Mike

I could probably fix the system up if you really needed someone. How old is the system?

~`Fallen`~

I am always confused, lost, or heading the wrong direction... Who cares?!?

Matt...no one was putting the blame on you. I apologize if that is the impression I gave..not at all intentional. I emailed you to find out the status of the cache when you were there as you had visited just about 45 minutes before I did.

It very well could have been a case of someone finding the cache, starting to dig through it, and then getting caught..or thinking they were about to get caught.

I can't imagine any decent cacher wadding up a GeoNote and then leaving the cache in the state you found it. Too weird..especially since it had only been approved for about an hour prior to it being found!

My guess is that someone saw someone else at the cache and then went over to check it out. Another thing that Carolyn brought to our attention was the fact that the cache is directly behind someone's backyard; someone might have been outside and heard talking about the cache and then went over to investigate.

Who knows??!! I just wanted you to know, Matt, that I was NOT accusing you of trashing the cache. I am not accusing anyone, actually..not accusing any cacher, that is.

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

I bought it in 1998. I used it for a year or two then I let my sister use it. I think she deleted a couple of drivers. I went to Microsoft and they said I needed to restore it with my disk. I have no disk. I got no help unless I wanted to pay for it. I dont mind paying a local tech or geocacher to fix it but I'm not paying a Microsoft tech. It's a great computer for my daughters school work. Mike

Jaimee

I hear what you are saying. I know when George and I cache alone we rarely trade items because there is rarely anything I want. Occasionally you find a cache that someone took the care to put together nicely. We try to use the rule of thumb to trade up. If we don't have anything good to trade, then we don't trade. I have seen in the logs when others have traded garbage for something good and thought to myself that that stinks.

I also can appreciate your frustration about someone trashing your caches. That has happened to us before. I have also found caches that have been recently raided and tried to clean up the mess and notify the owner. It is very frustrating.

I feel strongly that our caching community is strong and vocal and perhaps we need to try to set a standard for the new cachers in our area. We usually jump at the chance to find a local cachers caches. Let's try to stick together and help each other out by being more careful when looking in busy areas.

I personally would hate for this to discourage you from caching. You're very good at it and always fun to be around.

Mary

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I also can appreciate your frustration about someone trashing your caches.

I personally would hate for this to discourage you from caching. You're very good at it and always fun to be around.

Pat and Jaimee,

I'm angered to learn that someone's ruining our fun. I agree with Mary that I would hate to see you discouraged and wish there was something we could do to help. Geocaching has been too much fun and all this could do is make it bad for all of us.

Hang in there!

Bill of Green Achers

"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"

quote:
Originally posted by kurtuleas:

How did you find a hotel room geocache george? I wish my GPS worked indoors. I didn't do the Banta virtual, becuase it semed like everyone hated virtual caches.

KURTULEAS

Virtuals are fine, Locationless are up for debate. Now the hotel room virtual I did just asked for the name of the hotel, but the coord pointed, more or less, to the room the geocacher stayed in. There was nothing special about the hotel room... Let's see if it's still up.

Here it is...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3747

george

5867_200.gif

I should really be in bed instead of posting on this forum, considering I have to be to work in less than six hours. Like I said before I am not pointing fingers at anyone, just disappointed. I have decided that I will still use the area for a cache. It will become a micro in the same general area. I will have it up again probably sometime tomorrow evening with the new coordinates. I have decided to make it a micro cause it will be less noticable for other around in the park. For those that have found it, you will not be able to log it again. This way everyone else can enjoy this park.

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

I bought it in 1998. I used it for a year or two then I let my sister use it. I think she deleted a couple of drivers. I went to Microsoft and they said I needed to restore it with my disk. I have no disk. I got no help unless I wanted to pay for it. I dont mind paying a local tech or geocacher to fix it but I'm not paying a Microsoft tech. It's a great computer for my daughters school work. Mike

I could check it out and I don't charge much. E-mail me if you are interested. hrssaver@evansinet.com

I am always confused, lost, or heading the wrong direction... Who cares?!?

OK Fizzy, This time I'm timing you. I planted a THIRD in your backyard just to see how quick you are. I filled out the form at 7:30 this morning.

I checked the Rolling Stones cache page last night after the sunday night football game, and it was still not approved at that time, so I was totally suprised to see that you found that one so quick too.....(yeah I know, I think it was a little TOO easy)

KURTULEAS

...sorry to hear about your Strawberry cache !

It went so fast I didn't even get a chance to see the LISTING !

Lots of possibilities for the damage I suppose, from cachers in a hurry to non-cachers. I think a non-cacher might just pick and choose what he looted...leaving some for real cachers...that would be a looter with a conscience ! Other looters would probably just take the whole thing.

My Field of Flags disappeared twice leading me to think a former cacher stole it...twice. That's why I didn't give a clue on my Nothing But Knives cache. It was buried in rocks, and without a clue only one cacher team found it. I originally had people email me for the clue so I knew who was looking for it. I subsequently published the clue and the cache has survived.

Anyway...bad apples mixed in with the good ones. Bad ones are few and far between.

Ron

I went caching in Sac on Sunday and found some. I think our valley caches are more challenging, but at least one of the ones I found (rated a one) was a bit more challenging than that.

Caches close at hand are getting rarer. It will be good to have some new cachers in the area. I am going caching this evening with a newcomer in Stockton. Over time this new person and some other Stockton cachers will start placing more caches here I hope. I think I will not place anymore in Stockton..I've done my share here.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I'm very bummed about this cache. I thought it was so cool. We checked geocaching apparently JUST in time to get the FTF on this one. Just good timing. Maybe because it had JUST been approved it didn't print correctly. The hint and description didn't print, but we went after it anyway with just the coordinates.

When we found it we removed the 'main' bag and thought that was it. After looking through for a logbook to sign, and not finding one, we decided to walk back to the car for a pen to sign the back of the geonote, and I replaced the main bag.

That's when I noticed the second compartment, removed it, signed the log, and went on our way. There was a bunch of people at a BBQ nearby, but with my two kids (9 and 6) it didn't seem odd at all that we'd be over there. No one seemed to pay any attention, and I also made sure the boyz were quiet about it. No talking about what we were doing.

We took the bug and the coin, which I kinda figured was an FTF prize, since we'd never found one before. We didn't take or leave anything else. Sorry if that was meant to be traded for! We'll make it up on Fattuhr's next cache!!! icon_smile.gif

Again, sorry about that Pat. It was a very cool cache container, and I hope to come across it in the future somewhere! Thanks for your hard work and hopefully you and Jaimee won't become too discouraged - as geocaching catches on more and more we're due for some irresponsible cachers and with the increased traffic, non-cachers realizing what's going on and pilfering them.

Mike-

Check the Control Panel Display appearance & settings. Font size may have inadvertantly been changed--should read "normal". Resolution may also be the culprit(some--usually older--computer games will downgrade the resolution when you load them).

I just purchased Microsoft XE for my new computer, so I've got an MS Windows 98 disk you can have. The disk comes in handy for adding periodic features that aren't automatically loaded with the program. Wmail me your mailing address and I'll send the disk to you. Karen

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

I went to Microsoft and they said I needed to restore it with my disk. I have no disk.

Oops, I didn't even see 'em. Thanks! I'll change the cords on the page.

The more I think about it though, the more I am worried about that cache, please remember I am just a newbie to this geocaching thing. i'm still learning. Maybe I shoulda been a little smarter in placing the cache. What do you think I should do with it?

KURTULEAS

Pepper just left a log on Blue Bandit. It seems that the cops pulled up next to her and warned her that the spot is a same gender pick up prostitution stop. He said he checks the place everyday.

Boy I sure know how to pick great spots for geocaches icon_wink.gif

And you guys said this wasn't a "World Class Cache" icon_smile.gif

KURTULEAS

it'll be ok I promise! I told the cop I really didn't think you knew it was that type of place. I explained to him your redneck status and he just laughed. No harm done leave it there I had fun, and went looking for some bad boys so I could scare the s*&t out them, but the cop had allready run every body off. I waited at home this morning as long as I could waiting for your new cache to post, but I had to get out of the house to do the three I had planned so I could get home in time for the kids. So while I was being second to find Fizzy was out being FTF! DOHHH!!!!!

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

I'm sorry, but I'm sitting here at work laughing so hard I'm crying. Especially after reading Pepper's post and then reading Hot Foot's before that in a whole new light.

As Fizzy mentioned, it is very weird to know there is a whole other society out there. I came across a similar place near Auburn. However, we actually stumbled upon guys in the act. Fortunately, my son didn't see what was going on.

-Mark.

Will cache for food

quote:
Originally posted by kurtuleas:

Pepper just left a log on Blue Bandit. It seems that the cops pulled up next to her and warned her that the spot is a same gender pick up prostitution stop. He said he checks the place everyday.

Boy I sure know how to pick great spots for geocaches icon_wink.gif

And you guys said this wasn't a "World Class Cache" icon_smile.gif

KURTULEAS

I thought those guys were wondering what I WAS doing there... rather than what I WOULD DO there. Sorry Kurt but I'd have to add this to the list of things I won't do. So, tell us again how you got the gas for your ride?? icon_razz.gif Just kidding but talk about bad luck.

Hey, Is that why all those trucks are stopped there all the time? Never mind. I'm going back to work'cause this was T.M.I.

Bill of Green Achers

"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"

...for letting someone else be first to find !

The Blue Bandit experiences make being first to find a whole new ball game.

Those of us in the valley ran into this for sure at one park, and possibly at another.

Keep checking those new sites out for us Fizzy and Pepper and Hotfoot !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I hope that does not mean you are NOT gonna look for the BLUE BANDIT. If I can be chased by crazy homeless people (and bees) at "where's that valet II", I hope a few male hookers won't stop you from looking for the Bandit. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though...

Can you guys give me some feedback on the "Got Gas" cache. I think it may be a little too hairy, and I am thinking about pulling it.

KURTULEAS

quote:
Originally posted by Mugsly & Scary-Cookie:

Maybe I'll start teaching or geocaching for food like the rest of you (just kidding).

Are you going to the geo picnic in Fresno next month? I'm thinking about heading that way and getting some of the local caches. It looks like Fresno is starting to fill up.

george

5867_200.gif

I think a clipboard should be standard gear for a geocacher. I've used it to good effect several times. Now, if I only had a dark blue shirt with my name embroidered above the pocket I could really look official. But I do use the GPS as part of the act. I stare intently at the screen, frown, and make a note on the clipboard.

What time are you going to go get Gas tomorrow morning, Pepper? My Rotary meeting is about 1 block away, so I could meet you for coffee afterwards...

Congrats on hitting 400+!

GAS at least it's cheaper in the Valley. I always make it a point to fill up while i'm out there. I was spending anywhere from 80 to 100 dollars a week on gas, but I had to cut back and focus on savings icon_biggrin.gif. When it cools down I will probably be back up to LARGE gas bills again.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

When Joani and I go benchmark hunting, we tend to carry much more official looking stuff, since we aren't trying to hide that fact that we are looking for something. We carry a clipboard, digital camera, GPS2, compass, maps, and usually brightish clothing (because when you are benchmark hunting, you are often near traffic, so want to be seen). Joani has been tempted to take some of those orange vests and sew on to them "Benchmark Recovery Team". icon_wink.gif

--Marky

I checked on a couple of my caches last night. Grapes Of Path is definitely gone. I'll archive it if I can't find a suitable hiding place REALLY near the original one and then create a Grapes of Path II or something. If I can hide it just a few feet from the original spot I'll just un-disable it.

Ace O Sob is definitely there. It wasn't in exactly it's original spot but I put it back there. I think the 3 difficulty rating is pretty accurate judging by the Did Not Finds posted on it.