Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

He will not help me! As far as Fossil find goes I looked at all the other pics, and mine look to be the same size as the others. I will just scrap that find. As far as posting it goes, well I guess it's really not that important.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Hey Pepper

Just post that dude..then George will regain his karma that he lost by never emailing me the answers to T.M.L. icon_eek.gif

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

That was mary's job, she wrote down all the info and promised me she'd send them.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

...news and views.

George had it right when he said my pictures on cache description pages don't ALWAYS relate to the cache location.

A good example of that is Revenge, Sweet Revenge. The idea there was to introduce the possibility of dreaded rocks to my caching pals! On the other hand, if you stand near those rocks the gps should take you elsewhere. Do you trust your gps, or are you going to go with the "misdirection" of the picture?

On the other hand, at Valet II, both George and Fizzy commented that the gps would take them further into the brush. Hmmmm...what to do? In this case, the cache is in the car !

I guess what I am saying is, you never know what to expect. In one case you had to trust the gps and in the other you had to trust the picture.

In most events, I would follow this idea: Follow the gps to within a "reasonable" (subjective) distance and then start looking for logical spaces for a cache.

Just my thoughts.

On a similar note, when I went cache "watching" to Flashlights II and A Bridge Too Far, I was interested again in what LO/F's gps showed compared to what I saw when I recorded them.

Even though they each have the same unit, one was showing that it was 3 feet from the cache and the other was showing 70 feet from the cache. How do we explain that?!

I am going to post some additional coordinates to the Bridge cache that MIGHT be more accurate, but as I said, the original coordinates gave a 3 and 70 foot reading. I didn't bring mine with me that night, so couldn't verify on mine.

Then, when we went to Flashlights II, the two cachers were again getting different readings. Pat's took him about 15 feet to the right of the cache and 7 feet into the woods. Jaimee's took her about 8 feet right of the cache and on a level with the cache.

Fact is (in my humble opinion) these things are great for getting you to a campsite, a boat dock or a driveway, but after that you are on your own.

This points up the "need" for a good clue I suppose, and a clue like "It's in the hollow trunk 10 feet away from the burned stump" will certainly get you the cache, but how much fun (or frustration) is it. I would rather be "pushed" a bit so I could be "elated" when I found it.

Enough for now...again, just my thoughts of what works for me in hiding and seeking...

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

How is the evil bug bite??? Too bad you didn't capture, or at least see, what bit you; it may have been something you could log as a locationless!!! icon_biggrin.gif

So, Z&L, when is the next event??

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Mr. Vic placed a note on that cache page saying that he found a yellow jacket nest near the cache. I'm going back with some Raid.

george

5867_200.gif

Carolyn was the one caching, I just went along for the ride. I'm starting to go crazy in this house so I had to get out. I did hobble along and found Tracy trip. But the rest Carolyn went and got while I waited in the truck. Hey we did hit over 200 tonight. I think I'm going to email Randy about the Turlock cache. We found something pretty nasty right by the cache. George, Tell Mary that I have some peppers for her. I hope everyone is doing well. Mike

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the 1st

Wow...200 caches..impressive!! I am hoping to join you all within the next few weeks here..we shall see!

Congrats guys!

We had a 12-cache kinda day today. We would have bagged more, but we got a late start and then ran into some traffic in the Livermore area. Also, we seemed to have jinxed poor Pepper's caches today. The first one of her's that we found was not where it was supposed to be, and part of the contents were on the ground next to the container. The last one of her's that we found today had been plundered. We found the plastic baggies that held the cache originally and then found the log sheet scattered all over the place. icon_frown.gif Sorry Pepper.

Well, off to start logging our finds and then to bed for me!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Dalamar:

I am new to caching and have enjoyed reading y'alls posts in this thread, is vandalism to the cache a common thing? I have a cache I am thinking about doing where I am in Utah that would be a neat cache not only for the site but the goodies inside.

The closer they are to polulations centers and gather places the more likely they are to be plundered. Caches that are placed more remotely rarely get found by non cachers.

Hide it well if you're concerned.

george

5867_200.gif

I passed Tomaski in finds! Our trip yesterday put me at 175...yippeeee!!! icon_biggrin.gif

25 more to go in the next two weeks. Another trip to clean up Pleasanton and then a trip up to Sacramento or Monterey should do it for me.

I think Pat has less than 10 if I remember correctly..right, Pat?

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Thanks Ron, I should be back at full swing in another 2 weeks. I should be able to go get some flat land ones next week. And then some hiking ones the week after. Pat and Jaimee are real close also. When they hit 200 it's PARTY TIME.

With the two virtuals that I'm waiting for a response on, will leave me with nine to go. The weather is supposed to be cool all week with the highs in the mid 80's. Might have to make some afternoon hunts. icon_biggrin.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

Hey all

Just wanted to give you a heads up on a new cache I just placed and sent in.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=33264&Nocache=0.7055475

There is already a FTF. I had Pat go find it because I was concerned about my GPSr being screwed up and getting wacky coordinates. It's a log only cache, so he didn't get anything special for being FTF. icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

I placed two news ones last night.... They're under review by the admin. So they're on hold. I guess I just keep pushing that envelope as far as new cache ideas go. I'll link to them so if they get approved you can give them a whirl.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=33170

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=33166

I'm also heading to Tracy right now to hide a new one and find Quarterhorse.

george

5867_200.gif

Hey all

Can anyone recommend a good DSL provider???? I have SBC right now, and they just plain flat suck. I have had connection issues since getting the line over a year ago, and for the last several months, my email is just totally unreliable. I am now in "can't get most of my mail" phase, which reallllyyyy annoys me.

Just wondered if any of you might have any recommendations for alternative providers.

Thanks!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

Okay..I am HIGHLY ticked right now..and so I am going to change what I have said and decide to not be so mouthy and volatile on the forum. I will save that for private! icon_rolleyes.gif

One of these days I will learn to take a deep breath and not let things get me so ticked off...or, then again, maybe I won't. I live by a wonderful quote that my grandmother used to say all the time. Wait..I just said I wouldn't be so mouthy..so I better not share it here.

Jaimee (the mouth who never closes)

[This message was edited by LuvOzzy on August 19, 2002 at 11:37 PM.]

Jaime

Our DSL service is through our wonderful local phone company, but surprising it is the one part of the company we don't have complaints about.

Also, I remember e-mailing you those answers. I'll look and see if I still have them and then I'll send it again. I didn't know that you hadn't received it or I would have sent it again right away. My husband doesn't keep me informed, but did you notice how quickly he shifted the blame... I think he owes me for that one.

Pepper

If you are having trouble with fossil, then I can try to meet you out there with my rock hammer and give you a hand. Just let me know.

Mary

5867_200.gif

Hey Mary

I never did get them. I think the last email I got regarding that cache was something from George about him being tired and he would send them the next day icon_biggrin.gif

Pepper...did you find a fossil? Or did you not find a fossil? We sat in the dirt and pounded rocks for well over an hour out there. I guess we found a fossil..heck, I don't know! I just split rocks, held them up and said "Is this one??" Pat took the pictures and I posted something that resembled something icon_wink.gif I do know that there were a few pretty cool looking things found that day...don't ask me to define "things" though cuz I have no clue what I was looking at.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Forgot about that part Mary. Is the DSL you have just for the Patterson area? I know AOL has a DSL now, but it isn't available on this line. Figure this one out: It is available on the other phone line in our house, which is on the other side of the kitchen, but not available on the one that the DSL is currently hooked up to. I guess I could do some line switching, but I wasn't that excited to go back to AOL. I considered the DirecTV line, but we would have to buy a new dish to the tune of about $600..no thanks.

Oh well..I guess I shall just deal with what I have until something else presents itself!

Thanks!

Jaimee

I sure had alot of fun out on ya'lls Fossil Find last week. After reviewing some of the pics posted I really don't think I came up with the correct Fossil Find. Thanks for the offer of lending a hammer, and a hand!

Jaimee...the reason behind not posting Fossil Find is because of the BIG BAD GEORGE! I was thinking when I posted it he would give me some more hard time about my pic size. So I have been in the process of self teaching Adobe Photoshop 6.0. The process is not going well at all. Anybody got any advice and how to's on Adobe 6.0.

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on August 20, 2002 at 06:02 AM.]

....happens.

It's regretable, but true. I think you and Pat and I are friends, so I hope you'll take this in the way it is intended....

Have you read your own signature line at the bottom of your forum posts?

I say this because if you put yourself in G.A.'s position after having had a bicycle stolen while caching, you might see how his anger came out against the cache.

I don't know WHY this happens, but I have experienced it myself. Once I took a good tumble that REALLY scratched up the screen of my gps. I was the one who wasn't cautious, but I blamed the cache placer who put the cache in a really unstable spot. Wasn't his fault I fell down.

I think it's just human nature to do this.

NOW, I wonder about some of G.A.'s comments about MASS cache hidings and quantity vs. quality, and I have some concerns about that. I recently placed a lot of caches in the Stockton area after NOT having placed any here for over a year and a half. I THINK the quality on them is OK, but I have heard some negative reaction to the fact I placed so many so quickly in a relatively small area.

I guess there is no making EVERYONE happy. Someone will always have a complaint one way or the other.

ANYWAY, please consider that the folks who lost the bike were unhappy about that and perhaps just misdirected their anger. Those dadgum folks who steal from us (bikes, cameras, car window damage)damage our psyches as much as they do our pocketbooks.

Ron

On that note I have to say that this cache Jaimee did put alot of quality into it. She spent quite a bit of money and time running around to get the themed items for that cache (Sponge Bob). Some people who have found the cache have not followed the theme even though she asked for them to (maybe they didn't read the cache page to closely)so I think that maybe the quality of the cache could have been lessened by trade items now in the cache. For the park it is in there are no other caches, and it is a nice park in Modesto. I can understand there frustration on losing there bike, but in the post they said that it was 100 ft. away. You've been there and know that you can get to within 3 ft. of the container. On that I will quit rambling.

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

....as a communications (speech 101) teacher for many years, I know how easy it is for "static" to interfere with communication (written and oral).

G.A. has edited his original find comments and now some of the info pertinent to our discussion of "mass" and "quantity" vs. "quality" is now gone, but let me expand a bit on what I thought went on in the initial exchange of ideas.

To show you how things can be mis-read, I had the impression their truck (and the bike) was just 100 feet away and therefore incredible that some scumbag would be gutsy enough to steal their bike while they were so close by. I don't know if I read this wrong.

I guess I am interested in coming to everyone's defense...Jaimee's and G.A.'s. In G.A.'s defense I think it was a misdirected reaction to the theft of the bike, and in Jaimee's defense I think she also reacted (maybe overly) to G.A.'s comments.

I have had several of my caches (and clues) bashed by more than one cache seeker who had trouble finding them, and recently, comments made about how many I had hidden (close in time and proximity).

It's a fact of our nature that "we" think we can't be wrong about something, but the real fact is we all make mistakes....fortunately none of the mistakes any of us has made is life-threatening, just ego-threatening.

I hope all of us can forgive each other the nerves we may have touched in a negative way.

Ron

OK, Now I have to give my 2 cents. As for Ron putting to many caches so quickly in such a small area. BOO HOO If somebody dont like it go else were. I always enjoy seeing Ron's caches pop up because I know it will be a challenge. Just because there close together dont mean you will find them quickly. Keep up the good work Ron. Pat, Jaimee, George and Mary and a couple others all place good challenging caches. Isnt that what caching is all about. I've never walked up to a cache and said, I hope their is expensive Items. I know for a fact that Jaimee spent alot of money on her sponge bob and hello kitty caches. I have kids that love that stuff and so does George and Mary. I know G.A. got his bike stole and yes that would piss me off. But come on. Dont diss the cache for it. Do the cache hunt for the fun of the hunt not what the treasure holds. Mike

As Pat said, that cache was quality when it started. I made the decision to not continually go out and replace the left items with themed items because of the amount of money that would be involved. It was my hopes that folks would either leave themed items or leave nothing in order to keep the integrity of the theme; that didn't happen, but it was no big deal.

As Ron said, the person was angry because their bike was stolen. Okay..cool. I am guilty of taking things out on the wrong people sometimes. BUT..wouldn't a simple "This sucked..my bike was stolen while here" have sufficed?? To go on and say "I don't even know why a cache is stashed here" and complain about the "Modesto Mass Cache Sites" was uncalled for. I guess Pat should have complained about "A Bridge Too Far" because he lost his sunglasses there! icon_biggrin.gif

I already said that I am volatile and tend to react rather strongly (for those of you who haven't figured that out yet). The posts ticked me off...I wrote a not-so-nice post..and I then edited it a few minutes later. The folks who posted their finds have also since edited what they had to say.

Jaimee

I forgive you..lol lol lol icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think it's really a matter of anyone forgiving anyone else. People were pissed and responded.

Did you have to bring up Speech 101?? Don't you know that was the longest dang four weeks of my life???? icon_eek.gif What you said was sooooo true. We watched this really crappy Japanese film about a story told from 4 or 5 different viewpoints. Each person had a different take on what "really" happened. We each choose to focus in on one aspect of a story/event usually, and that is what we formulate our ideas/opinions on. You focused in on the bike being stolen part..I focused in on the negative comments about the cache and the area it was in; thus, you might have had some empathy for the person because their bike was stolen, while I had some anger because of what they said about the cache placement. See, I really did listen in class! icon_razz.gif

G.A. posted in anger, more than likely, which is the same thing I did with my original forum post. One of these days, I will be the calm, let nothing get to me type of person that I long to be. Until that day arrives, I guess I will still keep exploding at the drop of a hat!

Jaimee

....Now that's what I call good discussion.

Jaimee your analysis of all of it was right on. That anger thing does get us going sometimes.

Once when I angrily responded to an email that someone had sent me, I immediately regretted it after I pushed the send button. FORTUNATELY it was one of those "emailer" respond deals from geocaching.com and the email didn't go through! Whew! I was glad it didn't. I then composed a "nicer" email and sent it directly to the person.

I learned a long time ago that one should write a letter...not send it....read it the next day. Amazing how that works...usually results in a calmer mood and maybe making my points better.

Anyway, I have tried to live by that write it and not send it idea, but I sometimes fail.

Another thought is, that any NEGATIVE thoughts about a particular cache or a cacher's activities (hiding and finding) should be addressed right to the person IN AN EMAIL, and not in the find posts or in the forums.

That way, the parties directly involved can duke it out. Still, discussion like this is valuable.

Now about those sunglasses lost at Bridge Too Far....I'm still thinking of the best way to get them back. My "superhero" mode says try it myself, but my "cautious" mode says get someone to help me! I think they ARE retrievable.

Ron

Just got back into town. Wow, a lot has happened. I updated Ace O Sob to include a warning.

George, the reporter's name is Clare Noonan. Is this the same one? I'd like a heads up also if so. I plan to call her this afternoon.

We're talking bbq soon. I'll keep you posted when we have a free weekend.

We went to Brawley over the weekend. It was 114 and HUMID! Never sweated so much in my life. There are very few caches near there and I can see why. You'd have to be way hardcore to cache there.

ROFL at the image I got in my head from that one! I was picturing Ron standing on the riverbank in his tights, cape and mask icon_eek.gif

Pat wants to go back up and try to find the glasses. My guess is that they are buried in mud and muck by now. He could tie a rope to his belt loop and then hook it somewhere..and hope the belt loop holds!

Z&L...114 degrees?? YUCK!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I can see that my little bitty post lost in the conversation this morning. Ten post back. Now once again do any of you smart Valley Cachers have any knowledge about Adobe 6.0 having picture posting(size) problems. Help!

Pepper

Hey Superhero how bout you?

.....Superhero, retrieving sunglasses while adjusting photo sizes !

Sorry, Pepper, I don't use Adobe Photoshop so can't help you specifically. I think George does !

I use the little camedia program that came with my olympus camera. I just go to image, resize and then tell it to be 640 x 480. After saving I click on the properties to see how large it is.

If it comes up 120 or more, I just size it down, save it and check again to see if it is below 100K.

Sometimes a pic that is 98K still won't upload to the site, so have to go down to 90 or 95.

Surely Photoshop has some simple way to resize a pic.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but maybe my approach has some parallel in PS for you.

Ron

I also have an Olympus and the Camedia progam, but I have never used the progam. It sits on my desktop lonley and unused. Maybe just maybe I should check it out, or I could ask BIG BAD GEORGE for a little Adobe 6.0 tutorial.

Well I have another poker party in Mantica this weekend, so it looks like I will be doing some valley caching on Sunday Yipee! Hope it's kinda cool on Sunday.

Pepper

Pepper, I'm more familiar with Photoshop than I'd like to admit. lol. I use it daily at work and elsewhere. We're planning to have a bbq sometime soon so hopefully you'll be there and I'll give you some pointers.

Randy

PS. You could always email me also. randy@jamzcheer.com

There's a really easy way to do what you want - among other things...

Photo shop is quite powerful, it has too many optoins for most users and I'd recoment using something a little simpler like the software that comes with your camera.

But.. if you want to shrink your photos down below 100k so you can post them on the website. Do was I showed Pat to do.

Take your photo, save it under a new name and as a .jpg file. One of the options on .jpg files is that you can adjust the compression rate. Sometimes it's obvious on how to do it, other times you have to go through sub menus. Photoshop asks you each time. When you save a .jpg for the first time, a scale of 1....10 shows up. The lower the number the smaller the file. It also decreases the picture quality but you often don't notice it. Just increase the compression until it gets below 100k.

george

5867_200.gif

Photoshop 6, 7 and Elements all allow you to "Save for web." This allows you to see the effects of .jpg compression in real time, allows you to adjust the dimensions of the image, and doesn't try to save over the original file.

I've also noticed that saving .jpgs this way almost always creates a smaller file than the standard Save As command, with no noticable degradation. It shows you the original .psd (Photoshop format) uncompressed image on one side and you can compare it to the one you're compressing. It also shows you the file size so you'll be sure to not go over 90k or so...

Do you have 7 George? If not, and you want it, you know who to get it from... icon_smile.gif

I have been using Photo Shop 6.0 from the start for all my pics. I use Image Size to get my pics to 100k the only thing I have not dinked around with is the compression. So I will continue to use Photo Shop becaue I basically know my way around the softway. Thanks for the help if I have any more questions I will ask you, thanks a bunch.

Pepper

Looks like the newest caches are finally up. I had been checking on mine all day, and it just appeared within the last 10 minutes. I think we are gonna go for a ride and try to find George's 2 new ones. I also have one more to try and place somewhere.

Have fun with the new ones everyone!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

George, the reporter's name is Clare Noonan. Is this the same one? I'd like a heads up also if so. I plan to call her this afternoon.

It's was mary who had the run it with the reporter. Go ahead and call them her. Mary is not back from work yet and I don't know when to expect her.

The reporter probablly won't even remember Mary, it's been over a year.

george

5867_200.gif

Ron

After recovering pat's glasses, swing down to the channel islands and pick up George's Oakleys.

Just to add fuel to the flames, We have many bikes at our house and we take those bikes all over the Bay area. You always have to be careful. It isn't unusual for expensive bikes to get stolen. George has a friend that owns a bike shop and someone walked in and out with a bike while he was in the back room. It happens, it sucks, you get over it and learn from it. Next time lock your bike. I have so many stories on how bikes have gotten stolen right out from under the owner's nose. There is absolutely no reason to start shifting the blame.

There are a lot of caches at the Dry Creek park, but I thought they were all fun and interesting to do. It really helped us to get hooked when we started caching. I have to admit I usually pick areas where there are several caches in the vicinity, especially if we are taking the kids.

Concidering the park where Jaime placed her cache does not have any other I find that a mute point. I have always found that Jaime goes out of her way to place quality caches. The same is true about Ron's caches. I just know that with Ron I need to plan to walk awhile.

Jaime we got your back. icon_biggrin.gif

Mary

5867_200.gif

Thanks for the kind words Mary. Dang that Ron for making us earn those cache finds icon_mad.gif I moan and groan nonstop when having to walk over 1/2 mile, but I know it is good for me and I need to keep doing it!

We just did GeorgeandMary's two new Modesto caches. Carolyn M. and the kids met us at one since it was very near to where she works. We spun around a bit before finding it, but the second was much easier..we knew what we were looking for!

Man, I wish folks would place about 20 more in Modesto-Ceres-Turlock so that I don't have to drive more than 15-20 minutes to hit 200! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

....come on you wimps ! Get those walking shoes on and let's get caching!

Mary.....

Jaimee would tell you that several of my new caches require only a 50 to 500 foot walk. Those are "Let's Get Physical", "Post-It Today", Flashlights II" and "The Commander's House".

Granted, I usually ask people to walk (or bike) anywhere from .5 to 2 miles, but what the heck, commune with nature and get some exercise at the same time you are grabbing a cache.

Ron

That would be Queen of the wimps to you Mister!!! icon_biggrin.gif I am soooooo against strenuous exercise..always have been and probably always will be. I do enjoy a nice, EASY walk..but no heavy duty climbing or hiking..blech!

Mary..Ron speaks the truth about those caches he mentioned. I think the longest walk is to the bridge cache, but it's flat and easy.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Forgot something.

Ron says to "commune with nature." Isn't that what The Animal Planet channel is for????

Jaimee