Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Yup, it sound like it's ZnL's turn. What are you cooking?

For those who are interested. There is a geoevent this weekend in the south bay.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=29716

I'm going to be in Santa Cruz on Saturday riding bikes, I may swing by this on the way home just to make an apperance. We'll see.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

I wanted to give Pat his "props" for this creative cache. I think George was a little miffed that I found it and not him. icon_wink.gif Oh well, chalk up another one for the ladies.

Ron

I can remember a night outing you made a few months ago in Stockton...were you just feeling squirley that night?

Mary icon_biggrin.gif

5867_200.gif

Let's realllllyyyy get him miffed here! I just went and did "Arrowhead" and found it within about 3 minutes of arriving icon_razz.gif And, no, I had no extra knowledge of the cache because of who placed it. I had no clue of what the container was or anything else about it. Must just be a womanly instinct or something! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

I must chime in here "YOU GO GIRLS". When it coolsd off a bit I would very much like to come on out to the valley, and do a little caching with the ladies! School starts on August 27th, after that date watch out Pepper's gonna be a caching fool.

Pepper

Just biding my time.

Horizontals where it's at!

From what I have seen, there are several over there that are 1/1..which are just the kind I like!

I haven't been to the mall there in years, but I know it used to be pretty nice. When I want to do some REAL shopping, I head up to the Galleria by Rocklin..way nice mall there.

Pat gave me my anniversary present tonight..a month early! He got me a Palm m500. I "need" one for the PA program, so I am sure it will come in handy! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

...I'd forgotten about my midnight find at Squirrel's Stash !

The difference there is the cache was beneath a light pole that worked and a nice concrete path and ivy. I wouldn't go to either Valet II or Flashlights II at night. Too spooky ! (unless I had Carolyn and Jaimee to protect me....I think Pat, Mike and I would be flying down the path if a homeless person popped out !)

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I have a fun cache in mind just for you just for the fun of it. I'm hoping to get it placed before ya'll head this way. I'll find a spot somewhere here in Pleasanton, maybe close to the Mall!

Pepper

oh yes, Mary great idea I think that will work.

Horizontals where it's at!

We just placed a cache here in our hometown last night. I don't know when it will be approved, but it's here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=32684&Nocache=0.7055475

We have a few of these little tupperware containers and plan to do a couple more, maybe after the weekend. We're trying to place them in interesting places around town. Turlock has recently "upgraded" the downtown area, and it's much nicer, so this cache will get you there.

They're calling it "Visit HISTORIC downtown Turlock" I think that's pushing it a little, but it is nicer! lol

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

, soooo I think that would leave YOU Z&L!! icon_biggrin.gif Just think, if you host a get-together, then you don't have to help anyone..you get to do it all!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

So are Z&L going to be putting on this BBQ? Or their MOTHER! hehe! icon_smile.gif No one asks the mom! I think it would be fun to get together! Once our life calms down a bit, we will have to figure out a weekend.

Tammi

I was contacted last night by the recreational sports writer of the Bee. She wants to do a story on geocaching in this area. Was anyone else contacted? She emailed me directly, not through the geocaching site.

Anyway, if I'm the only one who's been contacted, anyone who wants to be involved in this please email me your phone numbers so we might all get together for this story!

I've already emailed her and left her a voice mail. I expect to hear from her today.

I think this would be pretty cool, but I want to know who wants to be part of it. Someone may not want to and I want to know that before I start naming names! lol

PS. I didn't know Tammi posted right when I did. I'll stop now. lol

Hello all!

Pepper..with regards to your new cache you are going to place, I have two words...UH-OH! icon_biggrin.gif I always get nervous when someone places something with me in mind, and I believe I have Ron to thank for that! BUT..if it's by the mall, how could I possibly NOT come hunt for it???? Are ya reading this Pat?? The mall, yes, the mall, she said!

Z&L...I am really good at volunteering people to do things. Just ask my husband and daughter! Seriously though, you don't have to do a big BBQ if that isn't your cup of tea..just put together a meeting time/place! See, there I go again! icon_eek.gif

Z&L 2....Randy, that is way cool about the newspaper thing. I was interviewed a few years ago about the dart scene in this area; it was pretty fun! If the reporter wants a woman's perspective on caching, be sure to contact one of the Central Valley Caching Mamas icon_wink.gif

Well, I must start my work. I get to have some little Morris visitors this afternoon while the bigger Morris' are busy, so I am going to stop working earlier. Thanks to M&C for giving me the chance to work a short day today!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Just to make it completely clear, I want EVERYONE to talk to this reporter. She just happened to contact me, and I'd like to see it happen. I'm thinking we can all get together somewhere, maybe even near a "famous" Central Valley Cache.

I only asked for phone numbers so I could make a meeting happen. If she contacts me and says I want to meet you right away I'd like to be able to get hold of as many of us as possible. Any thoughts on this are ABSOLUTELY welcome. I don't want to take this thing over, but I'm willing to work to make it happen.

Maybe we should get a logo made! lol

Randy

Hey Randy

I would be rather cautious about showing a reporter an exact cache location. I know that Ron did his news story and actually took a television reporter to a site, and nothing came of it. I just have been following some other threads where the "authorities" are getting wind of caches in parks and then banning them. I would certainly hate to see something like that happen around here. Am I paranoid?? Yep! icon_biggrin.gif

You could always find a spot that is not in a park but rather on someone's private property (I know of 3 of those in our area).

Too bad the reporter couldn't attend one of the Valley get-togethers, like when you guys host the next one! icon_biggrin.gif That would be the perfect time to see lots of different cachers and hear lots of different stories and perspectives on this hobby. It would be cool if the reporter could speak with both veterans and newbies to caching.

I think a logo is a great idea. I really liked the graphic you had posted here a while back. Is that something that could be transferred onto shirts or something?? I used to make shirts for our dart leagues, but I used piddly little graphics programs and nothing high-tech.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

LO, I think a cache on private property would be great. I got an email back from the reporter and she said to call her Wednesday of next week and she would set something up. I emailed her about us all getting together... but I'm not sure what she's planned yet.

She may want to go to a get together, and we could make one on the spur-of-the-moment if we had to. I would think that would be the best way for her to find out the most about it around here. Maybe someplace where there's a private property cache nearby?

She seems very excited about writing this story, so this should be fun.

Anyway, I'll be gone all weekend, but I'll post something as soon as I hear from her on Wednesday. Be on the lookout in case we have to set something up really quick! I keep forgetting to put my email on here.

randy@jamzcheer.com

Email me phone numbers, or email addresses, or just watch here for updates next week!

-R

I don't think private property caches are typical enough to be good examples of what geocaching is. There are a few private property ones but they are the exception.

Last Rapid would be a good example of a cache. For one, the rangers already know about it. Remember Ranger Dan's cache. Plus it's a really nice hike.

george

5867_200.gif

Since I'll be gone, everyone discuss how this story thing should happen... I'm up for whatever, and I'll suggest whatever the 'collective' thinks. I'll get back into town on Tuesday and go through the posts and my email and figure out what to tell this lady...

I am glad it seems like everyone wants to be a part of it.

See y'all next week!

R

Just curious as to what you think is "typical enough" to represent Geocaching. Not trying to be a smart a*s here! You mentioned "Last Rapid", which I haven't done because I, unfortunately, cannot do the hike because of my hip troubles. I have heard it is a beautiful place up there though. Any of the Knight's Ferry caches would probably be good to show a reporter because of the fact that the rangers are aware of them, as George stated.

I think that Geocaching has branched out so far now with the "regular" caches, virtuals and locationless that it would be hard to say what is really "typical." It seems that in the Modesto area, typical would be fairly easy to find caches that have a short, easy walk to find.

I only mentioned showing a cache on private property because there would be no repercussions to occur. I do think a get-together would be great too because then whoever wanted to be involved could do so.

Personally, I think there are a few people around here who would be really good representatives of the sport (No,not myself) and would be able to adequately show the reporter what she needs to know in order to write a good story on Geocaching!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Hi guys! I just want to thank you guys (esp. George) for adding a few new caches in Tracy this past week. As soon as I got into this geocaching stuff, we had a baby boy and my wife won't let me get too far from home while we have a five week old. The 3 newer ones this week were within a mile from my house. Are you considered addicted to geocaching if you tell your wife you're just gonna zip over to Albertsons, then spend 45 mins looking for a cache instead of really going to the store?

KURTULEAS

Z/L

I was just wondering what the name of the reporter was. I had a run in with a reporter from there a couple of years ago who was very aggressize and misrepresented her intentions. She came out with an agenda and was very one sided. If she is involved with this story, then I do not want to be involved. I just don't trust her.

Mary

5867_200.gif

I have just been informed, by my husband, that Pat and Jamie were lucky enough to run into the nicest man in Turlock this evening. I can't wait until they get home to tell us all the story...

I believe that the events of this evening were inspired by a search for banana slugs. icon_biggrin.gif

Mary

5867_200.gif

Alright..you all ready for this one?? It is gonna be lonnnngggg!

Pat and I got home from taking the Morris kiddos home, and we saw that Z&L's new Turlock cache was up. Out the door we went. When we arrived near the scene, we discovered the area was blocked off for a farmer's market or some such thing. We found an alternate way in, and we parked. About 100 feet from us were two Turlock police officers..obstacle #1.

We started hunting in the most logical spots, all the while trying to keep an eye out for onlookers or the police officers. I thought I had found the cache, but it turned out to be a rat trap. This, combined with the various array of human clothing, made me decide that I was NOT about to go any further in that direction at that point...obstacle #2.

Okay..so we are hunting around more. An older man had cruised through the area a time or two and really paid us no mind. I was deep in the hunt, and Pat says "Jaim..here comes someone. Oh..never mind..it's that same man. Oh..no..it's someone different." Then I hear "What are you guys looking for??" icon_mad.gif )(*#($&$@....obstacle #3.

I looked over my shoulder, and here stands this man, obviously waiting for an answer and not going anywhere until he gets one! I said we were looking for my keys. He wanted to know how they got in there, and I said I threw them because I was mad about something. Cool..now he's gonna leave..right?? WRONG! He decided he would stay and help us look for my keys! Terrific..we could always use another hand! icon_rolleyes.gif

This went on for about 15-20 minutes..he was on his hands and knees hunting like a mad man. I kept telling him "It's okay..we can come back during daylight hours" and things along those lines. He was very persistent and was bound and determined to find my keys. Then he started asking more questions...like "Where were you when you threw them?...What direction did they fly??...What does the keyring look like?"

I couldn't take anymore, especially when I realized that my big, manly husband is standing there holding the flashlight with GREEN PAINTED FINGERNAILS. Yes, you heard right. Little Ms. Morris had painted Pat's fingernails earlier. What a freak show this was turning out to be. So, I headed to the car and called Carolyn. I was laughing so hard and had to get away from our helper.

As I was getting ready to talk to her, I see this familiar looking white van pull in the lot. It's GEORGE! I immediately ran over to him and told him what was going on so he wouldn't say anything and let onto what we were really doing out there.

Did our helper hinder George's hunt? What do YOU think?? The man is a snake icon_wink.gif He finally got Pat's keys from him and then surfaced and said aloud "I found them" and then whispered to Pat and I "FTF also." Grrrrrrrrrr icon_mad.gif

So, we basically kept our friendly key hunter occupied so George could get the FTF! The guy hung around for a minute or two and then went on his way. George then retrieved the cache and we all signed the log. The man was walking away but kept looking back every now and then. Unless he had half a brain, he had to have figured out that something weird was going on.

The moral of the story?? Beware of men in white mini-vans wearing headlamps!

Wow..told you that would be long! There is a serious safety issue at this cache. I wrote to Randy and told him he might want to mention it on the cache page. If anyone else wants to know about it, email me and I will be glad to share my thoughts with you.

Whew..what an adventure that was!

Thanks for the fun!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

WOW!! I wish I could have been there last night sounds like you all had a good time. But it looks like I will be home bound for the next couple of weeks anyway.

Kurt, Thats a cool picture under your name, Are you a jeeper? If you are let me know. I love to go jeepin. I will be lifting my jeep 2.5 inches pretty soon. Hope everyone has a good friday. Mike

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the 1st

....I can't stop laughing !

AND, I learned a valuable lesson. When lying to someone about what you are doing in the bushes, it needs to be something that would NEGATIVELY influence them.

Looking for keys brings out the good samaritan in someone...what you need to be looking for are:

1) Banana Slugs

2) Rabid rats

3) Rabid bats

That should turn away any well-wisher.

AND, as you said...your little ploy let the head-lamped George beat you to the prize...a powerful lesson in what kind of story to tell !

Ron

We decided to log all of our finds over the next few weeks for C&M since he can't go out hunting. I figured that way, he will be there in spirit! icon_biggrin.gif

Ron..yes...I should have thought of something different to use..but I figured that would be the most explainable situation for where we were. I should have just said we were Geocaching!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Here I am, thinking I'm doing the both of them a favor and I luck out and find the cache.

My side....

So I had just placed 3 caches near Snelling and mary had called me to say that the cache had been approved. I get close and I realize where it must be. I'm driving up and see people already there. I figure it's someone I know so to be funny I drive up and sine my headlights right on the people..... "who the hell is that?", I think to myself. I see some scruffy guy (Carl the helper) and some other scary looking guy (didn't realize it was Pat) diggin through the bushes. The looked mean and angry, I thought I was about to get my *** kicked.

Jamiee runs up on me from behind and then I realize, what's up. I think it's funny.

Although I was kind of looking, I was putting in the hard effort since Helper-Carl was around.

How can we get rid of him? I went to Pat and said, "Give me your keys and I'll pretend I found them so he'll go away." He give me his keys and I try to find a spot where I figured no one looked. I get to the spot, acting like I'm looking for the keys and then I see the real prize. I was just trying to get rid of the guy and Karma brought me the cache.

"I found them!" I yell. Jamiee and Pat acted relieved and Carl brushed himself off and away he went.

Thanks Carl, you're the best.

FTF george

Geocaching puts you in the position to develop some really good stories.

Did I ever tell you about the time when I found the Citrus Flower cache right where Pat had looked?

Maybe at the next Event.

5867_200.gif

I guess we can start calling George "Siddhartha" now instead! Actually, I did see a soft glowing light around George, heard a very faint tinkling of bells and felt an inner warmth as karma so delicately presented the cache to our enlighted one. icon_biggrin.gif

But, you need to be careful! One of the precepts taught by Buddha is "Tell no lies." That will certainly negate any karma you have built to that point. My guess is that you will fail miserably on your next cache hunt icon_razz.gif

Jaimee

I got so wrapped up in Buddhism that I forgot to make mention of "Citrus Flower." That was a BAD day. I trusted Pat when he said "I already looked there", and then here comes the Crawford clan, and George found it within just a few minutes...right where Pat had already "looked." I think we have a photograph taken just a few moments after this whole episode, and I did not look too pleased.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

....don't give George any ideas about karma, Buddism, etc. Next thing you know when we walk up to a cache site we'll hear tinkling, tiny bells and smell incense burning!

George...

I rescued the Palmable Travel Bug this morning from its hobo cache and will move the bug along...even though its value has diminished of late.

I left the hobo where he was as it's a nice corner. I thought about moving him to Squirrel's Stash but then he would have been stuck with the same view for a LONG time.

Ron

....you want me to put it in one of YOUR caches?! icon_wink.gif

Hey, if you want that bug, you're going to have to work for it ! I can think of a couple of MY caches I could put it in...no wait, it wouldn't fit in those micros. Well, I'll come up with something. icon_cool.gif

I vote for putting the bug in "Valet II"!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Fizzy..you must have been doing some serious bushwacking in order to get poison oak down there. All of it that we saw was away from the trail, and there was none around the car itself. OR...maybe you cleared it all away for us??!! icon_wink.gif

By the way..I am selling hints for how to find "Valet II"..need to earn some cash for school.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

If I remember right our GPS took us within 20 feet of the cache. Pat and Jaimee can correct me if I'm wrong. How far off did your GPS show Fizzy? Just curious. George how about yours? I think I'm going to go look for some wheel chair accessible caches this weekend. I already have cabin fever. icon_razz.gif Mike

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the 1st

I had another 30 ft past the car to get to the zero point. That standing on the passengers side. Standing ON the car, which I did, still left me with another 25 ft into the bushes to go.

I poked around with the stick, and felt the easy to reach spots (with gloves on) but wasn't willing poke my head around corners to look since I was afraid of getting the Hunta Virus, or eye balling a rat.

Since Ron's pictures often have nothing to do with the cache placement, I didn't know if I should go to the zero point or look into the car. I didn't really want to do either.

george

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

IfI'm going to go look for some wheel chair accessible caches this weekend. I already have cabin fever. icon_razz.gif Mike

I've got two caches you can drive up to, both virtuals that you haven't hit.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=32783

and

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=14641

This one is probablly doable from wheel chair...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=32176

It's off a turnout along the road. But I'd at least have someone with you since it's in the middle of no where.

These other two...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=32781

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=32782

are NOT, but they are new and need someone will to be FTF.

george

5867_200.gif

It's a bay area cache. That's why you got it first. That's a long twisty drive. When you get past Frank Reins park, the road tilts up steeply. If I drive up there every one it the car but me will get car sick. It'll get it soon though.

After driving that far I have no choice but to place another one up there too. See how many people we can get up there.

Fossil Question for Pepper....

Did you email me a photo? I got an email from you that mentioned a photo but I never got the attachment.

george

5867_200.gif

Well, we intended to do some hot and heavy night caching again tonight, minus our caching pals icon_frown.gif We ended up only doing 2 in Stockton and then heading home. We drove around for quite some time looking for another but gave up when we discovered there was no discrete way to get to it and lots of folks around. Our original plans were then to head to Tracy, but we were tired and hungry, so home we came.

Pat lost his expensive Smiths sunglasses at one of the caches..fell in the water. After trying for 15-20 minutes to recover them without falling in himself, he gave up and we left.

Maybe tomorrow we can head out for the Tracy caches. We also found some potential hiding spots as well..have to check them out further when we are able.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif