Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Ok, I had no problems on the trails looking for cache or around the cache. BUT.. the easterly parking lot had a creepy looking guy sitting in his truck, all by himself. When I saw him the first time, I had flashbacks of the Modesto park, but there were a lot of regular looking family cars in the park also. So I just forgot about it and for no reason decided to attack via the other lot.

I don't know if this park has the same kind of activity as the infamous modesto park. If it was the same as modesto, I really don't think a creepy guy would be after you Jamie, Now Pat is mighty fine looking fellow and might draw more attention. He's got a purdy mouth.

Squeeeeeel like a pig boy!!!!

I can here the banjo now.

I recomend Pepper Spray or a small hand gun.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

I have spent quite a bit of time birding in both parks mentioned above. My experience is that the McHenry Recreation Area (the park with the new caches) is definitely not in the same category as the Tuolumne River park near the airport. McHenry Rec Area is mostly used by fishermen, campers, families, and some teens. When I have been there it has seemed safe, and I was probably the only quiet, sneaky man lurking around in the shadows along the trails. Not necessarily so at the park by the airport. Mr. Vic's question might be put this way, did he have binoculars around his neck? There is always a chance of an unsavory character, but I don't think that is the norm at McHenry Rec Area.

I have had a cache ready to place at this location for a while, but the call of home improvement projects has kept me from it. I hope you don't mind, Ron and George, but I will likely add another cache to this park soon. I'm not trying to be a copy cat, but it is one of the 'String of Pearls' parks. I have always thought of it as a great spot, and I hope that its character does not change.

Harold

....for the best at McHenry Park, but I have to tell you all now that I emailed Jaimee and I had a similar experience at the park. Jaimee gave me more details than she did on the forum, and they were amazingly similar.

SO.....

Be on the lookout for a white pickup truck with a utility bed...the kind plumbers might use...lots of drawers and bins on the side. This was ONE of two suspected people. I did not see the drive clearly.

The other fellow was sort of pot-bellied and lurking around the lot quite a bit and then made surprise appearances on trails above or behind me. He also was in close proximity to the white truck driver.

While nothing un-toward happened, at least one of his comments was suggestive. I ignored it and he disappeared.

Just a word of caution.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

We didn't run into any creeps while we were out there today. We did have some crazy squirrels run out at us but that was it for the excitement. Oh, we were excited to find three caches in the area!! We thought it might be a nice area for some more caches. How many caches could be in an area like this, without being overloaded? Carolyn

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the 1st

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

How many caches could be in an area like this, without being overloaded? Carolyn

The trail I took might go on for a ways, I don't see a problem if the caches are spaced well. I think I'm about 1/4 mile away from Ron.

Does the park go very far down river?

george

5867_200.gif

So George is the one hidding in the park spying on people. How did you come across that picture?

With the stuff that I got going on with my skin I needed a bigger hat to shade my ears and shoulders. I've always liked cowboy hats but never really wore one. I AM THE DARK SIDE icon_biggrin.gif Mike

When George and I went to that park we parked next to the camp host. Since the kids were not into caching that day I stayed in the car with them. The campground/park host drives a white pick up as you described. While George searched I had the opportunity to observe that the campground/park host took his job seriously. If this is the person you ran into it probably was his way of checking out suspicious visitors to the park. We all know that geocaching can sometimes seem suspicious.

Mary

5867_200.gif

Hey Mike my husband swears that we get better access to restricted areas because of his hat. Maybe you should continue the use of yours too. Let us know if theree is anything we can do to help with your situation...needless to say we can relate. Need a quiet weekend let us know.

5867_200.gif

....it is very unlikely that the person I saw in a white, utility bed pickup truck was the camp host, but ANYTHING is possible.

The pickup truck was backed into a spot in the parking lot furtherest from the highway. The driver and another person (the lurker) were engaged in some kind of clandestine activity, because as I came out of the woods, the lurker jumped away from the driver's door and hitched up his pants.

The lurker was walking all around the far parking lot and wandering the trails. He made a suggestive remark to me and then disappeared down the trail.

Again, this is just a suggestion that any of our group who make more than one trip to this park for the several caches there, be aware of possible problems and that they let us know about them.

Ron

I like the hat so it's staying. The feed store around the corner from us had a sale on Stetson cowboy hats so I bought 2. Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on it sometime. Mike

[This message was edited by C&MMorris on August 08, 2002 at 08:48 PM.]

I didn't mean to open a big ol' can of worms regarding the creep in the park yesterday. It was not my intention for anyone to remove caches or anything like that, but I did feel the need to share my experience.

I do not get frightened easily by other people, but this man certainly scared both my friend and I. It was not a matter of him just wandering the trails peacefully..it was a matter of him popping up quietly everywhere we went and then just standing there watching us. Sound normal to you?

Not sure why I felt the need to explain myself here, but I get the idea that maybe some people think I was being too jumpy or even exaggerating the event.

I don't think the area poses any serious risk to the cachers, but I would not advise any of my friends who are women to visit the area alone.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

....hopefully...on McHenry Park.

The feeling I had when this guy was lurking around during my visit was the same uncomfortable feeling I had at the Airport Park in Modesto.

I don't think these type of folks pose any THREAT to any non-consenting adult (male or female), but even at that, I really don't like that uncomfortable feeling...sort of a menace or dread that I felt.

Let's just see what happens over some time there. Basically, all of the area cachers have been there now (or shortly will be) and that alone may be the end of it. It will not stop me from going for the new ones there (or future ones).

I would not post this kind of info within my cache page itself.

Ron

Ron

When I read your description of the events that you witnessed I think it may be appropriate to make some kind of reference to it on the cache page. As a parent who takes my children geocaching, I would appreciate such a heads up on a questionable location. If the people you saw were comfortable enough to be doing that in the open, then it probably isn't an isolated event.

I know that this view may not be politically correct, but I can't help but imagine how I would have explained that scene to my children.

Jaime

I in no means meant to offend you with my post. George asked me about it and I told him what we saw and he asked me to post it.

Mary

5867_200.gif

I agree with Mary on this one. If Fags are parked in an area doing one another then I would like a heads up. My kids go caching with us 99% of the time. How do you explain that filth to kids. I dont want to have to explain it. Mike

I would think that if comments regarding park activities are going to be made on cache pages, then we need to worry also about the park near the airport in Modesto. The Modesto Police Department even acknowledges that Tuolumne Park is a known "cruising" spot, and they try to patrol there regularly. The last time we were at this park, we saw LOTS of odd behavior.

So, how would one approach this on their cache page???? icon_confused.gif I think that all parks and outdoor areas in general (lakes, rivers, etc) attract dirtbags to some extent.

I just think it might be tough to "warn" others in a way so as not to offend and cause problems..does that make sense? I am not worried about offending the pervs, but I would be concerned about offending others.

I agree with Mary and Mike about not wanting your kids to walk up on something of this nature..that would just be plain flat WRONG! I also think though that this type of behavior occurs much more often in public areas than any of us might want to even know about.

In my opinion, it would be pretty tough to put something of this nature on your cache page. It is also my opinion that you have a good chance of running upon creeps most anywhere you go, and I think that we all must use caution at all times, caching or not.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I think that a warning would be suitable if you have a significant concern that x-rated activities are going to be going on.

Sort of like poison oak: if you've seen it in the area, mention it.

You don't have to mention exactly what happened in the cache page: kids sometimes read the cache pages, as well. If I read something like "BTW, this spot seems to be a bit of a lover's lane" I would definitely get the hint and take my kids elsewhere.

Personally, I don't care if it's members of the same gender, or members of the opposite gender. I think it's inappropriate behavior in any case.

Shannah

and other cachers....

I have added a note to my cache page description for Bullwinkle Is Looking For His Friend.

Will you be adding one to your Return Of The Dead which is in the same park?

Also, those cachers who have caches in the Modesto Airport park should consider doing the same thing there as it is a proven gathering spot for males seeking males.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

...you've been gone long enough ! Long enough to have placed any caches, or just bike riding !

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

i just got out of a rehab for geocaching. 30 days of rehab and my first day out i found three and placed one. already off the wagon.

george if you are the first to find after my new cache posts, i have a limited edition

"vatican homie". its the only one in the world.

very nice for your collection.

see ya,

kk

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

i just logged my new cache. i already let mike look for it, so he is actually the first to find.

but georgie, if you get it first the one, the only, "limited edition vatican homie". icon_rolleyes.gif

the rest of you just get another for the books.

have fun,

kk

Which cache is it, I look for you hidden caches and there is nothing new on it.

If Mike has already found it, how can I get the homie?

george

5867_200.gif

I've been back at work for two days now so I've not been able to get a lot of caching down.

I've also gotten back on the bike. Did part of the local wed. night road ride last night, I was too out of shape to keep up with the fast guys.

I'm going to have to do a lot of it on weekends inbetween rides.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the Sats page is back up and running.

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/states.cgi?country=United%20States&state=California

Look who's number one? There's are some new names on the to the first page of the stats.. good job Mike and Carolyn.

Tomaski better watch out because he's about to drop down to page two.

Not that it matters. icon_wink.gif

george

5867_200.gif

....regarding Dan Miller's statistics page.

Since the last find date for you is August 6 and the last find date for me is August 7, I have to believe Dan is tapping the geocaching.com website pretty accurately.

My question is, since we both have find numbers that are higher than those shown by Dan, do you think his query of the database is NOT showing locationless (and/or benchmarks)?

He shows you at 280 and I think you have 330 or so. That would be about right discounting the number of locationless you have.

My count is a little more accurate to what I have, but is still off. He may be discounting virtuals as well.

What do you think?

Ron

The way the Statistics page seems to work is this:

When you go to the States, and choose California, it shows you the number of caches you have found that are located in California only, then the number of caches you have placed in California, etc. It also does not include Members-Only Caches.

I have no idea where it gets the "Overall caches found" number, as it is perpetually 2 too high for me.

In short, take those numbers with a huge grain of salt. icon_eek.gif

The stats page counts find by looking at the posted logs. If you log a find, it sees that and adds one to your find count. If you post a lot by accident and then later change it to a note, it's still listed as a find since edit logs don't get recored.

You could, if you wanted, record a bunch of finds, and the later delete them and the stats page would never know the difference. So if you've ever edit a find to a note or a note to a find or a dnf to a find later. Those numbers won't reflect acuratly.

The hides only get recored when someone logs a note or a find or dnf on that cache page.

It's not the most accurate method for determining stats but it's close enough.

george

5867_200.gif

We tried to go to the new location with the unsavory activity to get the two new caches there and to give our $0.02 worth about the whole situation, but it was closed. It said the lot was completely full. what's up with that?

We'll have to go back sometime when it's not so busy.

by the way, we've got most of the Tuolumne River caches, and have been there a few times and haven't noticed anything suspect. Luck of the draw I guess...

I saw the gate that said "Lot completely full" when we went out there, but it was not closed. I can see how it would fill up pretty quick though. There are 2 parking areas, and there are not really that many actual parking spots.

My guess would be that it is easier to get in during the week. Even then, there were lots of people out there, so I would imagine that on the weekends it's really busy. One of the caches is pretty much out in the open area, so you would have to be really sneaky to nab it if there were lots of people floating around.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Looks like the heat has kept most of us indoors this weekend...except for those diehards Z and L.

I got an email from Richard of GeoCrickets that two of my recently placed caches had the same coordinates !

Double whoops!

First of all the two caches are Need A Compass and A Bridge Too Far.

The coordinates have been corrected for A Bridge Too Far, so if you downloaded them before, made printouts, etc. you need to redo on the Bridge cache.

The other whoops is this....interesting that the same coordinates can be posted for two separate caches. I guess there is no "lockout" in the database to prevent such a problem. Also, a separate cache hider could theoretically put a cache at the same spot as some other cacher did.

Given the inaccuracy of our gps system though, I guess it doesn't matter too much..if someone was to put a cache even 20 feet away from an existing cache, we would find one when looking for the other !

Ron

It sure kept us in, until about 6:30 this evening when it finally started to cool down. We then headed up to Stockton to look for Ron's newest caches. We ended up doing 6, and we were ready to call it quits at that point.

This was my first night caching adventure, and the element of darkness sure provided us with extra obstacles..but it was fun!

There are several more up there we need to go back up and find..but now when it's triple digit weather outside..yuck! icon_mad.gif

I hope everyone had a nice weekend. Back to work tomorrow..yipppeeee!!!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

...somebody would brave the Sunday heat !

Turns out the Morris Clan and LO/F made it to Stockton to look for some of my caches....and found some.

LO asked me to post here that she and Pat could post their finds on Delta Dawn and Let's Get Physical....her email is crashing again.

Go ahead and log them...LO/F.

I'm glad all these folks went for the Let's Get Physical cache as it is a special one in more ways than one.

Ron

Actually, the emails came through..miracle!

That Morris clan is creeping up on 200. I think someone should plan a Geocaching event to celebrate their 200th find...any volunteers?? icon_biggrin.gif

I was hoping to hit 200 before returning back to school on September 3rd..but I don't think it's gonna happen. That's only 21 days, and I have 40-some to find. Hmmmm...maybe it will happen...I wonder if my boss would care if I took a few days off to cache??!!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

We had a good time caching with LO/F On some night caches, It was much cooler. Ron hid some very clever caches.

7 More and we will hit 200. Jaimee you can do it. You and Pat are not that far away. I will be home bound for the next 3 weeks so anytime you want to go play hooky from work and get some caches let me know. Hope you all have a nice cool day. Mike

...for his great Arrowhead cache !

Took about 15 minutes to find, but it is a toughie. I think I have adopted a new "zen" technique for finding caches....I keep the frustration level to the barest minimum and just think about the possibilies and rule out the improbabilities...maybe I've finally learned something fromt the Morris clan.

Thanks Pat !

Ron

Thanks for the encouragement Ron on Arrowhead, we will try again and hopefully find it this time.

We went out to Dublin this evening and found four quickie caches before going shopping. We were going for a fifth and george got bit or stung by something and we had to call it off.

5867_200.gif

What ever bit/stung me, it still hurts today. I'm not dying but I can feel it. It's not swollen so I'm not going to the doctors over it.

I'm not sure if it was a spider or a bee. The kids had spotted a bee flying near me just before but when I jumped and found out why my ankle hurt so much I was covered in spider webs.

I'm wearing hip waders next time.

george

5867_200.gif

Whew..another night caching adventure! This one was fun but not as productive as our last outing. We came to some sites that we decided would be best conquered during daylight hours. I, and the other female in our group (who shall remain anonymous at this point...hee heee heeeee) were getting the heebies out there icon_eek.gif

The best thing of all was that we found a cache that 3 others had not been able to find..wooohoooooooo icon_razz.gif

Now I only have 39 to go to make 200 before school starts back up!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

....NOT FOR ME !

Of course I cache alone, so if I was with this crew I would feel safer, but I have trouble in the daytime looking into shady spots for camo containers...I don't think I would do well at night, especially for micro containers like Arrowhead.

HOWEVER....I Will place a special night cache for this crew and anyone else who wants to go for it.

It will be rated a 5 for daytime and a 1 for nighttime....Hmmmmmm!

Ron

Is it the training in the navy seals school, Is it the training in Ranger school, Or is it the Native American blood, Isnt it crazy how some people can walk right up to you in the Night and you dont even know their there. Well this is what you would have to do to get to some night caches. Dont let the homeless people know your there. Thats why we do these kind of caches during the day. icon_wink.gif

Valet 2, Was a fun cache. Thanks Ron.

Hope everyone has a good day. MM

Ron...you really should try some night caching sometime! I most definitely would not do it alone, but there is safety in numbers, right? icon_confused.gif

The element of surprise makes it more fun, I think. There was a lovely black widow at one of the cache sites...we didn't see it until Carolyn said "Mike..is that a black widow??? Shine the flashlight there!" Yup..it sure was! We all would have walked right through her web if Carolyn hadn't spotted it. Yikes!

Next time we head out for some night caching, I will call and see if you would like to join us. Seems that all of them we have done lately have been yours, but I am sure we will venture further after those have all been done.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

The third time is a charm for G&M! Glad to see that you guys found "Arrowhead." I haven't been out there yet to hunt for it. I need to go during the day without Pat watching my every move, and it has been too danged hot to do that lately.

Anyone want to give me any hints before I go?? icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Night caching? Maybe. But only if the rest of you walk ahead of me to gather the spider webs across the paths and trip in the unseen holes along the way.

But wait...if I'm bringing up the rear, I am susceptible to psycho can collectors....I'll have to give this some thought. icon_eek.gif

Now....you want a hint on Arrowhead? Right...earn it girl the way the rest of us have. icon_razz.gif

Ron

Zach (my 9 year old) has really been enjoying the trouble some have had with Arrowhead! He's also excited that the "best cacher in California (Ron)" uses the same gps he does!

He's really become good at finding caches, as long as they're not too high off the ground!!

Anyone planning another get-together? Work is finally slowing down for me on the weekends, and I'd like to help...

Let's see here...we hosted the last get-together, George and Mary have hosted 2 thus far, Mike is going to be out of commission for the next several weeks, Ron is old and feeble icon_eek.gif, Kevin doesn't like to put together things like this, soooo I think that would leave YOU Z&L!! icon_biggrin.gif Just think, if you host a get-together, then you don't have to help anyone..you get to do it all!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif