Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

First, don't diss Central Valley people. Some guy on another thread insulted George. I enjoyed ripping him a new one.

Second, I was first to find the new cache at Patterson Pass. It had been there 2 days. What is wrong with you Central Valley people? Don't you have any initiative?

icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the backup Fizzy but Mary was the one over on that other thread. She thought it was really cool that you chimed in.

Second.. I've busy going big numbers. 29 caches in 2 days. Mary wants to go out again today but I've got things to do. We'll see.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

Yeah, I know, I've stooped to locationless caches but they just keep popping up.

On Sunday, caching around the Mountain View we drove across the Dunbarton bridge heading toward home. There is a railroad bridge just south of the dunbarton and guess what.. it's a 'swinging bridge' Took the photo driving 65mph over the bridge. (that was the first)

Then we went looking for 'totally toys' a Ron Streeter cache. We made a wrong turn and dead ended right next to a.....'totoem pole' (that was the second.

We then figured out the correct entrace to Ron's cache, and another in the same park and headed that way. We got the the park almost at closing and the caches were too far of a hike so we decided to scratch those two and what do I see 'steel wheel' tractor sitting as a display at the park HQ. (that was three) and the 13 cache of day.

It's like the cache gods WANT me to catch Ron. icon_biggrin.gif

george

I had to edit this because I forgot one locationless I found near a cache called "the dump".. who knows what this is?

470771_200.jpg

this was the first locationless we found so add one to all the above.

5867_200.gif

[This message was edited by georgeandmary on July 22, 2002 at 05:59 PM.]

[This message was edited by georgeandmary on July 22, 2002 at 06:00 PM.]

Okay peoples..check out this email I just got a bit ago regarding "Revenge"...I censored it a bit just because I didn't know if I would be allowed to post the "a-hole" word! Here it is:

Re: REVENGE GC4EF3

Now, I think I got this one nailed....First off, I found no cache container....but piecing together all the clues, I think this one is really funny....First, the location...MONTEZUMA....the name...REVENGE...so we have "Montezumas Revenge"......now, the cache opening is very small, perhaps LOG only...only very small items will fit...hmmmmI can think of only one thing that can drop a "log", and that you would only want very small items stashed, and that would be related to Montezumas Revenge....and thinking of this made me smile....could it be that all these clues add up to "A**HOLE"???

Or am I completely off track here?? In anycase, it made me laugh out loud. Can I log this one as found?

SOOOOO...whadya think of that one???? I have had some odd comments on that cache, but this is definitely the most unique!

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Or am I completely off track here?? In anycase, it made me laugh out loud. Can I log this one as found?

SOOOOO...whadya think of that one???? I have had some odd comments on that cache, but this is definitely the most unique!

Jaimee

When you're confused your mind tries to piece together what little information it has in a way that it can understand. Since he couldn't find the cache, this is what he came up with. Pretty good at making connections if you ask me.

george

5867_200.gif

George, Is the painting on the parking garage in S.F.(BY PEIR 39) Painted by this guy? Can this be logged twice?

Anyone up for going for a water cache? There is a new one out at Don Pedro. You will need a Boat. Mike

Flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man...Landing is the 1st

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

George, Is the painting on the parking garage in S.F.(BY PEIR 39) Painted by this guy? Can this be logged twice?

You'd have to check the signature but large whale paintings are probablly Wyland paintings. I had to change the cache page when I origninally had it possible to log it twice. I wouldn't delete the second log.

george

5867_200.gif

...I didn't count the locationless which I haven't logged yet.

Got to keep an ear out for those advancing footsteps !

I also placed three...one of which was the Tag...You're It cache. McIrish has sent an email I think to the next player.

Next player...if you are reading this, do your homework.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

...looks pretty good. There is a bay area group that has a really good looking one that would translate well to tee shirts, mugs, gps receivers, etc.

For transferring to tee shirts and such I wonder if the blue, thin lettering would work.

Ron

....of the 294 caches you have "found" I see 66 of them have the circle with a slash on them....i.e. NO CACHE. That is 22% !

Granted some of them are virtuals (some of which are mine!), but the vast majority are locationless.

How do you show your face at geocaching gatherings? icon_confused.gif

Of course I guess there is SOME pride to be taken as one of the holders of THE MOST LOCATIONLESS caches found! icon_razz.gif

Ron (dare I stoop to doing locationless to keep my lead on George, or should I do the manly thing and just keep hiking?)

WHAT DO YOU THINK FELLOW CACHERS?

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on July 24, 2002 at 12:53 PM.]

I think you both should find a bunch of caches and not log them for several weeks. Pick a day and start logging all your finds and see who is the winner.As for Locationles caches, I dont care for them to much. I like the real thrill of seek and find. BUT this is a race, Right! So I Agree with George and Mary on getting Picture caches. READY SET GO!!!! Mike

I think that only one group is racing here! Ron has no reason to race since he is the one with the most caches at this point icon_biggrin.gif If he keeps at a steady pace, he should be able to maintain a comfortable lead..maybe! Ron will most definitely have the advantage once George and Mary return to school..THAT is when it will get interesting! To what lengths will G&M go to keep up with the Ronster???? Time will tell....stay tuned......

As for locationless, I don't usually do them. I have done a total of 8. They just don't interest me. Most of the locationless caches just seem like a way to add more numbers to your "found" list. How many people REALLY do the locationless caches because they are fun and interesting?? My guess would be that the greatest majority of people who actively do the locationless ones are using them to boost their numbers..but that is just my humble opinion icon_wink.gif

Virtuals are a totally different ball of wax as far as I am concerned. Virtuals lead you to a specific place, and most offer interesting information and the chance to learn something new.

I guess that my thoughts would be summed up like this: Virtuals and physical caches are "real", whereas locationless caches and benchmarks don't exactly fall into the same realm. BUT....I think it is a matter of to each his own...if you like the locationless, more power to you, etc., etc.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

....thanks for your balanced response to this issue.

To let everyone know, I am mostly poking fun at George and his locationless list, but there is certainly a gram of truth in what I am saying too.

When I started this activity in Feb of 2001 it was not uncommon to drive for an hour or more to find ONE cache...and I was happy to do this for the thrill of the hunt.

In order to get more caches for ME to find I placed sometimes a half dozen in an area to get more cachers coming and HOPEFULLY placing caches too...so I could find some.

Now the number of caches is not an issue. Although a cacher can "eat up" all local caches fairly quickly, if one REALLY wants to get some caches, they can still drive an hour or more and find a bunch.

I was happy when George, Tomaski, LO/F and some others got going in the Modesto area because it gave me some new opportunities.

I still have a lot to do in the Sacramento area and the Bay area.

LO has raised the point that when George and Mary go back to school, the "race" might heat up again. Chances are I will only be teaching 13 hours a week, so I definitely will have more time than they do...not to mention I don't have several children to look after.

My point here is that there are so many variables in this activity, that any kind of "total" comparison from one person to another is almost impossible to assess. Jeremy Irish (geoaching.com founder) has maintained since day one that it is not a competition, but many at a regional level play it that way to some extent...mostly in fun.

I do have a certain animosity toward Locationless in general though. This has been discussed in many forums...just do a search on locationless and see what you find.

There are some that are valuable...Carnegie library for instance. I even did the Yellow Jeep ! (I owned a Wrangler at one point). I plan on doing barber pole (to honor my barber of 20 years) and I will do the drive-inn movie locationless because I worked in one my senior year of high school. But these are special to me for these reasons. I suppose George and others have personal connections to all the locationless they do too. (maybe)

Let me run this up the flagpole...another locationless !

A lot of rambling, some coherent, some not. Got to go now...caches are waiting to be found...and placed.

Ron

I think a good comparison of "locationless" caches is to benchmarks. At least a benchmark makes you GO to the benchmark, and you don't get SQUAT for finding a benchmark (no finds added). I think locationless should be its own counter, kind of like travel bugs are. They are obviously "fun" and a "hunt" but they aren't really caching, I don't think.

Now there's a race....lol. Who has the most bugs??

Ron and George and Mike and Kevin are the established GODS of Central Valley Caching, and people like me, and Tim, and Greg, are just lowly followers, hoping to be in their realm someday!

So, we have the "GODS" listed out. And the GODDESSES would be.....????

Mary, Carolyn, Jaimee!! icon_biggrin.gif

AND..who would be the only Central Valley woman who caches SOLO on a regular basis?? icon_wink.gif

Wow..Ron started some fun stuff today..woooohooooooooo!!

Speaking of Kevin, where has he been lately? A birdie told me he isn't caching much anymore..is that true??

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

You should have been on that list too, LO. Those were just the first names that popped into my head; Ron and George because of the banter, and Kevin and Mike because I saw them both yesterday (don't tell Garmin what we were doing!!!).

Speaking of Kevin, he's still around; or maybe it was his evil twin I saw yesterday? Scary....

I'm way bummed I won't be around this weekend for the BBQ. Oh well, next time....

.....Jaimee and LO are one and the same person, though if you look at the pic on her profile (a pic I took in Sacramento) you might think Dr. Jeykl is mixed in there too.

Just got back from some cache activity...came back for more supplies and am off again.

Later cachers.....Ron

Hello all

Thought I would give you all an update on what the menu looks like for our BBQ this weekend.

Pat will be doing up a nice ol' smoked salmon as well as tri-tip and chicken. We even have some Gardenburgers for those who prefer their burgers minus the meat! icon_biggrin.gif

I am making a macaroni salad, hot artichoke dip, beans of some sort and Jello jigglers.

The other dishes that I know are being brought at this point are brownies, fruit and salad. If anyone else knows what they are bringing, maybe you could just post it here for everyone to see!

Look forward to this weekend..I think it will be really fun!

Oh..one more thing..parents whose children are looking forward to riding the horse...Tiny has been a bit under the weather icon_frown.gif If he is still droopy on Saturday, I won't be doing any riding. Just wanted to let you know so that you could warn the kiddos!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

5 were locationless.... so that means 19 were a container with stuff in it.

Well, we also did LO Virtual TML.

I have to start logging them now.

Locationless......

How many here have logged the "yellow jeep"...

I rest my case.

george

5867_200.gif

guilty as charged! (Anyone like Dave Matthews Band??) I did the "Yellow Jeep" locationless, and I think I have done 6 others as well..or 7 maybe...not sure exactly.

Like I said before, some of the locationless are pretty interesting and really take some work to find...but, for the most part, they are pretty silly and an easy way to boost one's numbers. This is MY opinion, and my opinion only.

This is a game, a sport, a hobby. How you choose to approach it is completely up to you! I don't see it as being a full-on competition, but I do understand the numbers game and wanting to catch other people (or maintain one's lead on other people even!) Each person participating has to make up their own mind about how they want to play the game and what they will/won't do.

All this conversation should prove for some fun times on Saturday, huh?? icon_biggrin.gif

By the way..only ONE person gets to log the BBQ as a find; this will be the person who comes to our house tomorrow and cleans out the garage, mows the lawns, scrubs the toilets, washes the windows and vacuums!!! icon_eek.gif

Oh..almost forgot..I did want to say that 24 caches in one day is very impressive G&M! The most we have done is 12 I think..and that was a LONG, tiring day. Nice work. icon_smile.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I'm Guilty also, I have the Yellow jeep, Flag pole, Barber pole and a few other goofy ones. I set out one day and did a hand full. If I wanted to catch somebody I would go and get all the Locationless one I could even though I dont like them. George and Mary are doing a fine job. WOW! 24 in one day. They are the Master Cachers! Good job you two. Looking forward to This weekend. Mike

Mary I only wish I could dragggg my husband out of the house for a day of caching! Not gonna happen he and the son(Troy) have a new addiction called Dark Ages of Camelot. I have recruited a partner, but when we go caching for us every site is play time and adventure. So be it she has a blast, while she's playing I plot our next find if she's not dragging me around saying mom lets go over there or lets check that out! For Team SuperGenius which started out as a team now seems to be down to a solo Mom cacher, sometimes Little Lila. Myself I get much satisfaction out the long hikes early in the morning when it's cool. Those days are rare now being it's Summer and all, but when Lila is with me she is so not interested in Virtuals or Locationless it's a kid thing. So far I have done a few of Ron's V's and one of ya'lls, Don't Panic, and it was the Bomb! I really never think to look at the V's or the L's if I did I just might find something that interests me. I have done two of Fizzys V's which were very interesting. Cache On G&M family ya doing good.

P.S. I am gonna try to get away from the poker party Saturday for an hour or two so I can come meet some more Valley Cachers, we'll see.

Team Supergenius

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 25, 2002 at 08:01 AM.]

[This message was edited by SuperGenius on July 25, 2002 at 11:00 AM.]

I would be one of the guilty ones as well. I have the Yellow Jeep and a list of others. Some of the locationless do interest me. Like George had said in an earlier post, you do happen to just come across them. icon_eek.gif But to come across them you also have to look at the Cache pages for the locationless. So I guess I'm guilty of that as well, since I do know what some of the locationless finds would be if I were to stumble across them. icon_redface.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

.....on bagging 24 caches in one day ! (and only one of them a locationless)

Does this mean I should try for 25 in a day or should I go for 30 to give a little edge?

Fortunately, I confessed to doing the Yellow Jeep early on in this discussion so I don't have to fess up now.

BUT, to further my discourse let me say two things. My comments on locationless are not JUST an indictment of George for seemingly racking up finds just to catch up to me. I truly feel these things (locationless) should be a category unto themselves the way the benchmarks are.

I feel that they got a foothold in our worldwide geocaching community and Jeremy Irish didn' take a position on them early enough. Now there is enough support that he is unlikely to do anything with them.

I think there are something like 165 or so of them. This number compared to the 25,000 plus of regular caches and some 500 or so virtuals (the virtual figure is just a guess). These facts alone should support the idea that the "real" caches are the most popular.

One of the original ideas of geocaching was that a physical cache would lead a person to something worth seeing, a waterfall, a vista, etc. I believe that in turn led to the "virtual" cache which said..."just come here for my beautiful view."

When people ("baggers") started logging those virtuals just to get their "count" higher, the trend then became to post a virtual asking questions to verify that the person had actually been there.

Beginning to get the picture on how this all developed?

It would be interesting to track the development of the first "reverse cache"...the locationless to see how it all began.

As in all endeavors, there are successes and failures. I would mark the "benchmark" experience as a failure. The last time I looked at this aspect I remember seeing something like 175 had been found and xx,xxx thousands to go. My experience looking for one told me to forget it. It was a water tower marker...the water tower had been torn down 25 years ago.

Even though I went only a short distance to find this out, it was a clear indicator to me that this one wouldn't fly.

Later I saw a benchmark on a porch in Coulterville and photographed it and thought I would work the reverse process on it and log it. Couldn't find it listed in the list of benchmarks!

Bring on the tupperware !

Well, long rambling post, but still trying to put right in my mind what I feel about this phenomenon (geocaching) and the place we have in it.

I for one will continue to concentrate on physicals as I assume most of the area cachers will...there are more of them for one thing. There are something near 1,000 caches in our search area and that should be enough to keep us all going for awhile whether they are physical or not.

George....

A fellow cacher contacted me and thought I had been harsh on you. I told this person that you and I thought somewhat alike, were competitive in a similar manner, and would more than likely be able to shake hands at the bbq and go on caching as always. I hope this is the case.

As educators I think we're always investigating, probing and pushing ourselves. Your (and FizzyMagic's) math problems aren't my thing either, but I certainly think they have more merit than the locationless.

I think all of us agree that the very clever cache placements that many of us have done (and or found) are what true caching is all about. Those bright stars keep us going.

Finally, I think LO (aka Jaimee) summed it up for all of us .... to each his own.

See you all at the BBQ, at which time I will be accepting congratulations for having found 75 in one day (18 hours) with the first one being 500 miles away from the 75th one.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

.....on bagging 24 caches in one day ! (and only one of them a locationless)

5 locationless... famous grave, hitching post, suspension bridge, pyramid, and Capitols

quote:

Does this mean I should try for 25 in a day or should I go for 30 to give a little edge?

I'm wiped out, if you can get teh 25 go for it. It's been a couple months since I've been back to Sacramento and I was surprised at how many more there are now than before. There is still alot. We basically headed east from the capitol and got them as we went. At the end of the day I could still see more and more way points but it was dark.

quote:

Fortunately, I confessed to doing the Yellow Jeep early on in this discussion so I don't have to fess up now.

BUT, to further my discourse let me say two things. My comments on locationless are not JUST an indictment of George for seemingly racking up finds just to catch up to me. I truly feel these things (locationless) should be a category unto themselves the way the benchmarks are.

I feel that they got a foothold in our worldwide geocaching community and Jeremy Irish didn' take a position on them early enough. Now there is enough support that he is unlikely to do anything with them.

I think there are something like 165 or so of them. This number compared to the 25,000 plus of regular caches and some 500 or so virtuals (the virtual figure is just a guess). These facts alone should support the idea that the "real" caches are the most popular.

One of the original ideas of geocaching was that a physical cache would lead a person to something worth seeing, a waterfall, a vista, etc. I believe that in turn led to the "virtual" cache which said..."just come here for my beautiful view."

When people ("baggers") started logging those virtuals just to get their "count" higher, the trend then became to post a virtual asking questions to verify that the person had actually been there.

Beginning to get the picture on how this all developed?

I was reading the forum often when the locationless first started popping up and they started as a way for handicapped people to be able to 'geocache'. I've got my own peeves about locationless caches and I've tried to push my opinion on the forums about them.

I don't believe they should be one find per person. I think this is the biggest anti geoching features of locationless. My first two I specifically noted that they could be logged more than once. And 3 locals here have logged "Lover's Leap"

When I submitted my 'Whaling Wall' cache, I included (in red) that you could log each wall more than once. Eric sent me a note that I had to change it before it would be approved. I won't delete anyone's find if they log it twice though.

quote:

It would be interesting to track the development of the first "reverse cache"...the locationless to see how it all began.

Bring on the tupperware !

Well, long rambling post, but still trying to put right in my mind what I feel about this phenomenon (geocaching) and the place we have in it.

I for one will continue to concentrate on physicals as I assume most of the area cachers will...there are more of them for one thing. There are something near 1,000 caches in our search area and that should be enough to keep us all going for awhile whether they are physical or not.

George....

A fellow cacher contacted me and thought I had been harsh on you. I told this person that you and I thought somewhat alike, were competitive in a similar manner, and would more than likely be able to shake hands at the bbq and go on caching as always. I hope this is the case.

It's a game, like I said. I took everything as playful jabbing. When my friends and I go for bike rides (which I haven't done lately) you should hear the amount of smack we talk to each other. It's not ever meant in a mean spirit.

quote:

As educators I think we're always investigating, probing and pushing ourselves. Your (and FizzyMagic's) math problems aren't my thing either, but I certainly think they have more merit than the locationless.

I think all of us agree that the very clever cache placements that many of us have done (and or found) are what true caching is all about. Those bright stars keep us going.

Finally, I think LO (aka Jaimee) summed it up for all of us .... to each his own.

See you all at the BBQ, at which time I will be accepting congratulations for having found 75 in one day (18 hours) with the first one being 500 miles away from the 75th one.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

At the end it's just fun. We saw a really cool cemetary, a beautiful building (the Sacramento Youth Hostel), and eat some Indoneasiean food. But I have fun looking for a cache in a blackberry bramble and I don't need a great view. Plus we got to spend the day talking and hanging out all day long with NO KIDS. As we finally lied down in bed mary turned to me and told me how much fun she had. What more do you want?

george

5867_200.gif

This was originally posted by Ron Streeter a few minutes ago:

He wrote this, not me, but I will respond at the bottom, if you scroll down>>>>>>

_____________________________-

Now if I could just get you....

....to quit that annoying "quote with a reply" thing you do, I'd be 100% satisfied !

Ron

That's the end of Ron Streeter's quote.

Here's my reply:

I AGREE!

Randy

I hate those quotes too, but sometimes it makes sense when there are lots of questions. It was supposed to be a joke. icon_smile.gif

I'm just amazed that people take "offense" to Ron's joking with people. It's happened a few times since I've been 'contributing.' Ron shouldn't have to apologize for being funny and starting some interesting discussion!

That "ribbing" or whatever you call it is what sets the CVC apart from the uptight, scared-to-say-the-wrong-thing rest of the world!

Well, She is pretty. I'm not sure if I read the story right but it sounds like a Fatal Attraction. This guy is in love with a picture.(I've been in love with a few picture's but only for a half hour icon_razz.gif ) He talk's about Her in past tence. Is she Dead? I will have to read the story again. Maybe I missed something. Mike

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

By the way..only ONE person gets to log the BBQ as a find; this will be the person who comes to our house tomorrow and cleans out the garage, mows the lawns, scrubs the toilets, washes the windows and vacuums!!! icon_eek.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I just called Jaimee offering to do these chores on Friday, but she said someone beat me to it.

Ron icon_wink.gif

She's not real, Eric (two notes up) made her up as a joke and kind of got a lot of stuff stirred up. 'She' introduced herself as a newbie geocacher. Many people bit and others didn't. It's now part of geocaching folklore and references will be made to it months to come. Some of the undercurrents of the community that is www.geocaching.com.

Now Cherobia...

Kablooey mentioned that Cherobia was Japanease slang for 'trouble maker', is that right? Looks like you're making trouble. I just think it's funny. Are you going to the next bay area picnic?

george

5867_200.gif

"Kablooey mentioned that Cherobia was Japanease slang for 'trouble maker', is that right? Looks like you're making trouble. I just think it's funny. Are you going to the next bay area picnic?"

Choberiba = so very bad. It's outdated teen slang (see: groovy) only used by teenage girls.

It also happens to be available on every website I sign up with on the first try.

I've been to five events so far and really hated missing the last one. (The kid was graduating pre-school that day and I wanted to videotape her)

I've switched to using "Choberiko" as a shorthand for the trilogy I've become. icon_biggrin.gif

Eric, you should be a fiction writer, You got me. I had no Idea the girl was not real. This is the first time I've seen you on this fourm. As you have probable already read We cut up on one another alot. It's all in fun so dont take anything to Heart. All these Central Valley cachers are pretty good people. You should stay tuned to the Crawford Clan -v- The Streeter Race.Mike icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Eric, you should be a fiction writer, You got me.

Thanks, I work in the very objective field of eyecare and spend my days administering tests.

Any creativity you see is probably just a sanity hiccup.

My caches aren't all that creative and I've been embarrased about that. One is dangling from a high branch in a tree, and another bounces around each week, but compared to a Chuguy or a Streeter I'm a wannabe.

quote:
I had no Idea the girl was not real.

Pretty much anyone claiming to be a 22 year old woman on the net is a 44 year old man.

I'm only 33 so I'm just getting up to speed. icon_biggrin.gif

To be fair, keeping her realistic just meant keeping her low key.

I made sure she was portraid as somewhat conservative and the rest was easy.

quote:
This is the first time I've seen you on this fourm.

I lurk here.

Between the usenet group, the IRC chat room, and the general forums I'm already spending WAY too much time avoiding being on topic.

quote:
As you have probable already read We cut up on one another alot.

It's all in fun so dont take anything to Heart.

Not at all, I've met many of you and plan on meeting the rest.

(You should ignore me and bring potato salad to the events)

quote:
These Central Valley cachers are pretty good people.

You should stay tuned to the Crawford Clan -v- The Streeter Race.Mike icon_smile.gif

I've not met any geocachers I didn't genuinely like as people. Everyone is a little different in person than they are online, but I try pretty hard to be the same everywhere.

waypoints.org is one of my domains, and I've pointed that to the Mitsuko page.

I'm curious about the psychological aspects of her relationships but also that of the average geocacher.

I'm not a doctor, but it still fastinates me as to why we are drawn so passionately to this activity.

I've played tennis, I've hiked, I've had all sorts of hobbies but geocaching.... that's different.