Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Kevin, you should up the diff. rating with another star.I think it's going to stump a few people. George and I found it this morning. I had fun, thanks, Mike

on advice of council, i have changed the rating on 27th SKUNK to 3.5 stars.

good job on skunks indy. george, i've always said that i'd rather be lucky than good. icon_wink.gif

have a nice fourth all,

tomaski

Hey, folks!

I am traveling to Washington DC next week, so I thought I would offer to take any travel bugs that need to go there.

I am planning on driving out to Modesto early Friday morning and doing a few caches. So you could put any bugs in caches I will see.

Let's see... I will certainly do Pirate, Mickey's, Madness, and skunks toybox. I'll try 27th skunk, What Lies Beneath, and Nothing But Balls, but those are reputed to be hard so I may miss one or all.

If I have time I'll do Sticky, Letter 22, and Sweet Tarts. Especially if anyone has a bug in them they want me to take.

Just my humble opinion here, but "What Lies Beneath" is just nasty! We were there 2 or 3 times, and we found all kinds of hypodermic needle parts, broken bottles and lots of other stuff to hurt yourself on as you are rummaging around.

My advice would be to go well-prepared..make sure you have some kind of stick or something to poke around with and definitely something to wipe your hands with when you are done there..YUCK!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

.....hey caching fans...we are on page 10 of our forum ! I suggest we just let it keep building instead of starting over.

I use a dialup modem and it doesn't take long to load it...must be independent of size factor.

I just set a bookmark for the new page each time it rolls over and delete the old bookmark.

Might be interesting to see how many pages we accumulate in 6 months or a year...I know we have far outdistanced our counterparts in the Sac and bay area...they're all visiting us !

What do you think?

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

.....I have several areas in mind right now...each with 5 to 10 caches in close proximity.

Right from the get-go I have pretty much avoided multi-cache searches. Survivor Sacramento has been around for a long time...haven't gone for it even though the final hike seems up my alley. I guess my thinking is although the challenge is of some interest, going to 4 or so caches to get to the last one doesn't interest me that much. (on the other hand, that's what my King Tut cache is all about...but with a twist...you have to figure out what caches will even lead you to the final.)

I also have totally turned away from benchmarks....if I find one out somewhere, I might take the coords and then log it, but I won't go looking for them.

I'm not a strong swimmmer, so most water caches I won't go after unless I feel I can do them, and the idea of taking a boat JUST to go find a cache doesn't make much sense.

And finally , exercising the old grey cells with too much math doesn't do it for me either.

Give me a tupperware or ammo box with a 2 to 4 difficulty and terrain up to 3 and I'm there.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

The elevations on this topo map seem a little odd to me. Are they in feet like normal or am I missing something?

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=10&n=4350658&e=655677&s=25&size=s&u=1

Thanks, Glenn

From my experience as a geologist and a geology student, the USGS topo maps always use feet for elevations.

mary

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

They seemed a low - just a gut feel, I haven't been there. Then I noticed that the spot elevations were followed by a 'T' (for example 856T and 939T) and I hadn't seen T's on other maps. Anyway, I just scrolled east to the border with another quad and the contours match so it must be OK. Here is the link that shows both quads.

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.28991855504525&lon=-121.00466078522572&s=25&size=s&symshow=n&u=1

Maybe my question should be, "Why are there T's on the spot elevations?" But it doesn't seem too important.

Good call on the location Ron. That is the spot. Here is an interesting link along those lines. Western Aerial Company runs a weekly quiz of an unidentified aerial photo and you are suppose to guess what the photo is of.

http://www.waccorp.com/game.shtml

Last week it was Longview, Washington which was tough since I have never even heard of Longview.

It took a good while to get this approved, and if you notice there is a note at the bottom from the admin to address some concerns.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=27537

It's a first of it's kind and they were worried about the locationless effect where copy cats would degrade to 'find a 4 leaf clover' in a grass field.

george

Glad to see they approved your new one George. That sounds very interesting, and Pat and I will be checking it out for sure.

Ron..ya mean I gotta go BACK to Utah and Nevada now??? icon_eek.gif Actually, those both look very interesting and would be caches I would hit if I were ever in that area. I figure the next time I am anywhere near Utah, it will be in an airplane...wonder if they would land out there long enough to let me bag the cache??

Anyone have any cool plans for the 4th? I get to work..aren't I lucky??

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Hey LuvOzzy,

Just a quick note to let you know that TAG is still in the hands of the Georockers. They picked it up last Saturday and then George got sick....he has had it since. He told me he was going to place it sometime on Friday, but so far I have not heard from him. I will email him later tonight. Sorry your email is messed up!

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."

Got the message..thanks much McIrish! This email is gonna make me bonkers! We can't seem to find any resolution to an ongoing problem..grrrr icon_mad.gif

Ron...we stayed inside where it was cool most of the day! Thought about caching but then figured it would be more fun to sit on the couch and watch movies! I also did some sewing earlier, so my day wasn't a total waste. icon_biggrin.gif

I think George and Mary were headed to Monterey to cache, and the Morris clan might have gone that way as well..not sure.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Whewwww.....

It's been a long weekend. Technically it's not over but I'm done. Started on the 4th with the Morris clan watching fireworks, staying up too late and then getting up to go to Monterey the next day. Spent the day caching around Monterey. I thought I had it all planned out. I loaded the coords into the gps, had all the caches mapped out and downloaded all the pages into the Handspring.... NOT. I forgot to get the pages into the Handspring. I had everything else... Santa Cruz, San Jose, San Ramon, San Fransico, Sonora, Stocton, Sacramento... but no Monterey.

So we went for it without descriptions and without clues and only got stumped once! Half way through the day we bumped into the Morris clan down on Fisherman's Warf.

They had come down with the same idea, find some caches with some cooler weather. We walked and talked for a while, Mike shared some of the cache descriptions off of his Handspring and then we split up.

Mary and I found some more caches and then headed toward one along the sand dunes. We again bumpped into the Morris Clan. Each of our wives were trying to talk us into spending the night so we could do more caching in the morning.

Sundown was coming so mary and I headed off for the last cache of the day in the dunes. We got to the area and looked and looked and looked. We were stumped, maybe, it was a virtual, (we had no descriptions remember). We tried to call but could get ahold of them. We walked back to the car and started to drive away when we got the call back. The cache was burried in the sand. What kind of dirty dog would bury a cache in the sand. I don't know but they should be shot.

By this time we decided to stay the night and find the Santa Cruz caches on Saturday. We looked and looked and looked but there was no room at the inn. We had driven all the way to Watsonville and decided to just head home. At this point Mary got a call from Carolyn telling us that they were spending the night too. And they had found a room! Mike and Carolyn were nice to pay for our room to hold it until we could drive back down there. It was the LAST room. So we all stayed in Marina and we parted ways in the morning. I haven't heard how their caching day went but we had more luck yesterday. Stuggled a lot with heavy wooded areas. Kept loosing satalites... I can feel a new GPS coming.. we'll see.

george

George said it all, Im BEAT!! It was fun meeting up with the Crawford Clan, We had a nice time, Found about 10 caches in 65 degree weather with the sun shinning icon_cool.gif Jaimee we found a nice camp ground. It's Veteran's Memorial park. Nice place. Well I will log my finds and go to bed. Mike

P.S. Pat I will call you tomorrow about meeting up.

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

I took your advice and found a good picture on the internet. Take a look and let me know what you think. icon_cool.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

Now all you need is to find one of those suits to wear geocaching... It'll keep the ticks away... it'll keep just about everyone away now that I think about it.

george

....Not !

Some of the llamas have gotten harder, and even if not terribly challenging, satisfaction is there !

I also found some by other folks. Have lined up some more Sac caches for the weeks to come, and of course the 5 at Shadow Cliffs...guess there are enough to go around for awhile.

Ron

Now there's a funny thought..good one George!!

Glad to hear you and the Morris' had a safe and fun trip to Monterey. We are going to head that way sometime soon..hopefully to camp for a day or two.

I have a slight urge to go retry RSR...might do that tomorrow if it's not too hot. There are also several caches up in Sacto that I want to hit, as well as those ones over at the park that Ron mentioned. So many caches, so little time!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Does anyone need a dog???? A nice little stray has adopted us, and we must find him a home. I have an ad in the paper and several other places as well, but this lil' guy's people don't seem to be looking for him. I am wondering if maybe someone just dumped him out here in the country icon_frown.gif

Anyway, this is a neutered male cattle dog..probably about 5-7 years old. He is very, very friendly and mellow. He doesn't seem to care much for cats, but that is part of the nature of cattle dogs..they want to chase them. He and my cats keep having these marathon standoffs, but he hasn't done anything really threatening to them.

I am sure he would make a wonderful caching companion! icon_biggrin.gif When I let him out of the yard, he stays really close to me and doesn't seem to want to roam anywhere.

Soooo, anyone "need" a really nice dog?? Or, does anyone know of another person who might be interested?? I can't keep him because I already have a zoo here, but I also will not take him to the pound. Help!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

...I don't want to get your hopes up, but I would like to take a look at your doggie.

Is it an Australian Shepard type with the stubby tail?

I have been thinking of getting a Border Collie or a herding dog of some kind, but again, I don't want to get your hopes up too much.

I live in a small place and don't know if I could give an active dog the kind of home it needs.

Anyway, I am having some major reconstruction done on my garage right now and want to be around the next day or so while the work is being done.

I could take a look on Tuesday...would that work?

Ron

Pat and I were thinking of having a Geocaching BBQ here at our house. I have some caching games in mind, and we have lots of other stuff out here; horses, bocce game, ping-pong table, etc.

I was thinking of July 27th, which is a Saturday. We could start late afternoon so it wouldn't be quite as warm; we get a really nice breeze in the afternoon and evening usually.

Let us/me know if you are interested. If there seems to be enough interest, I will make a page for it so all who would like may attend.

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Let us/me know if you are interested. If there seems to be enough interest, I will make a page for it so all who would like may attend.

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Will there be pony rides? I love pony rides. And since I'm not throwing it I can claim it as a find.

Host it.

george

Wellll, we have no ponies out here, but I have a mighty large draft horse you could hop on! He's kinda like riding a big ol' comfy couch, although you are a touch further from the ground.

If this flies, Pat and I will do the meat and have everyone else bring side dishes of some sort. Pat is the barbecue king..he makes a mean smoked salmon.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Ready for vacation!

Pulling a Ron (as, it seems, are lots of others!) and we're going on vacation next week. A whole week suffering in Oahu... icon_cool.gif To celebrate, I'm gonna get back to active GeoCaching (it's been a *very* busy month).

I downloaded the waypoints for the island, but would like to try the "palm" method. Since I don't remember which of the ten pages George put the instructions on, could someone give me a pointer? (I can also be reached at quinnsREMOVE_THIS@inreach.com.)

Any suggestions for good caches would be appreciated. I'm also going to drop off some TB's. Maybe inside a pineapple? icon_smile.gif

This week looks like it's gonna be a scorcher. It will be nice to get off to cooler climes!

Kevin Quinn

CatToy

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

My guess is he's going for the cache at the lake that's only been found by Mike.

Be safe George.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

Why would I go for that one when there is a FTF closer to me.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=27360

george

I went for the new cache in Ripon...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=28223

I went there expecting a cache and instead I found this...

444719_200.jpg

Ok, it's a multi cache I thought. So I spend some time in Ripon, ask some locals where California Street is, and then start looking for the bottle with the key. No luck.

I came home a logged a note and emailed green achers because I had to change how the card was mounted. And guess what... That had nothing to do witht he cache. I have no idea why the card is there.

george

Hey George

Was that note just sitting out in the open? Did it look like it had been placed there recently?? By the appearance in the picture, it doesn't look like it has seen any weather to speak of.

Strange...but I think you should make it into some kind of cache now! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

We are going to go ahead and do a BBQ and make it a caching event. I will post it later on today when I am done working..and after I take the coordinates of where we live!

If anyone has any ideas for caching-related games, please let us know. I have a few things in mind but not sure how they will work.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Hey George

Was that note just sitting out in the open? Did it look like it had been placed there recently?? By the appearance in the picture, it doesn't look like it has seen any weather to speak of.

Strange...but I think you should make it into some kind of cache now! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

It's been there a while... it was taped underneath a bench with duct tape. The tape was old enough that when I tried to undo the tape it kind of disintigrated. Half the tape remained stuck to the bunch and the other half was on the card.

george

.....27,000 plus to go !

Knocked down 10 today including the 5 at Shadow Cliffs and....

Stairway (by CatToy)

Becca's Barbie

Star Spangled

Homies Day or Night

Skunk 27

Two of these are noteworthy:

Polywog and Skunk 27.

These are the kinds of caches that make you come back for more, hoping they will be as good as these two! I've found a couple of others equally as intriguing. When a cache brings a smile to your face, you're either new to the game, or you've come across a memorable one. These two are memorable...even though I found each in a flat 5 minutes !

After the first 9 caches I stopped at LO/F's place to look at the "foundling" doggie. A well-behaved little guy. Then.....

...a long day that ended with a trip to Valley Sporting Goods to look at gaiters...going to look at REI versions soon.

Will post finds tomorrow...too tired tonight.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on July 09, 2002 at 09:18 PM.]