Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

If you go high enough in the Sierras, you can get above the poison oak and stickers. Does anybody have a rough idea of what elevation is high enough? I'm planning some Sierra cache hunts, and I just want to know which ones will probably be poison oak free.

Glenn

How high is Pinecrest? about 6500 ft? No poison oak, that I remember, around there. It seems to me that once you get above the oaks you'll probablly be free of poison oak.. I may be wrong.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

According to several different things I have read, you will find poison oak in California in elevations UNDER 4000 feet. Not sure if this is gospel truth, but I have seen that elevation listed in many different publications and on many different web sites.

Jaimee

I just posted a new cache, called "IQ Test." True to its name, it is a puzzle-and-math based cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=27121

I was inspired by George's recent Black Box. On the drive back from finding that one, I had this idea. Let me know what you think.

There's not a very big queue right now; it might get approved by tomorrow morning. Since it involves brain work instead of simply driving speed, I figure you Central Valley types have a good shot at being FTF.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I just posted a new cache, called "IQ Test." True to its name, it is a puzzle-and-math based cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=27121

I was inspired by George's recent Black Box. On the drive back from finding that one, I had this idea. Let me know what you think.

There's not a very big queue right now; it might get approved by tomorrow morning. Since it involves brain work instead of simply driving speed, I figure you Central Valley types have a good shot at being FTF.

well, it's not approved yet, I'll see if it's up in the morning.

george

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I hope you like it. I can't tell if it going to be very hard or very easy. It's one of those things. I won't be home tomorrow morning, as there is a swim race at Shadow Cliffs. But if you solve the problem, come this way to look for it and get into trouble, stop by the lake and ask! We'll probably be there until noon.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

quote:

I hope you like it. I can't tell if it going to be very hard or very easy. It's one of those things. I won't be home tomorrow morning, as there is a swim race at Shadow Cliffs. But if you solve the problem, come this way to look for it and get into trouble, stop by the lake and ask! We'll probably be there until noon.

Well, I think I figured it out. I'll tell you when I get back I'm going after more than one today so I don't know how long it's going to take.

george

Inspired by George and Mike's Lover's Leap trip, my kids want me to take them down any of the rivers around here.

I want to know which one would be good. where should we start and end? My kids are 8 and 6 so I don't want anything crazy. Just a nice time floating down the river for an hour or so.

Any ideas on this would be great. we want to go tomorrow if possible! thanks all!

Well, we finally got around to hunting "Revenge, Sweet Revenge." Needless to say, we were not met with success. icon_frown.gif I figured out what the clue referred to (at least I think I did), and after searching, scouring, cursing Ron and the heat, we finally gave in.

Hopefully we can bag it the next time, after we get another clue..please Ron! icon_biggrin.gif

It seems the others who have found it needed some additional help. I was REALLY hoping to nab it the first try..but so much for that idea!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I almost forgot something.

Does anyone want/need a really good medical terminology book? I worked on an editorial project for Stedman's books, and I got 2 copies of the book I worked on.

The book is a specialty term book for internal medicine/geriatric medicine, and it sells for around $36.00. Stedman's books are primarily used by medical transcriptionists, but I guess they might be useful for others (my neighbor who is a court reporter uses them sometimes).

Anyway, if anyone would like this book, please email me. I hate to have it just sit here. I will even autograph it for you! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Ok, here's the low down. Did not find Revenge, Revenge Sweet Revenge, Skiride, or La Grange! After figuring out the terrian out there decided not to even attempt the other 5 or so I had planned. All of the caches I had planned for my trip were a product of Ron, LuzOzzy, and GeorgeandMary Feeling pretty down as cacher about now and I need this 8 day vacation to Cloudcroft NM. Leaving tomorrow, I bet I don't run into any caches by you three out there! YEA!!!! I have never had so many pink sad faces in a row.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

....welcome to Central Valley Caching !

You didn't mention Dragonfly, one of the original "oh, my God!" caches in the stumping category.

Enjoy your trip...I hear they're just lying on the ground out in the middle of clearings there.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Dang..we were just through there! If I would have known you were traveling there Pepper, I would have placed one especially for you!!! icon_biggrin.gif We did do a virtual in Winslow, Arizona..but it's easy!

Glad you were able to experience the Central Valley style. When I cache anywhere else now, the caches are pretty easy to find, even those with higher difficulty ratings!

As Ron said, you didn't make mention of "Dragonfly." That is a TRUE caching experience, one to test the skills of even the finest, most experienced cacher. icon_wink.gif (took me three trips..and I found it by accident at that)

Sorry you had to post the pink faces. I only log a cache as a "couldn't find" if I have either visited it several times with no luck or I have decided that I won't even attempt it again. There have been a few that I said I wouldn't attempt again, but my competitive nature got the best of me and off I went!

Enjoy your trip to New Mexico!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Not sure how to take that statment Ron, hope you were being nice. I will be in the middle of Lincoln Nation Forest, not much wide open space there. Any way have already checked it out and I only found one that was even close enough to go for.

Happy Cacher

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....welcome to Central Valley Caching !

Enjoy your trip...I hear they're just lying on the ground out in the middle of clearings there.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

....it's all in fun !

Once you have met and cached with some of us in the valley, you will get our drift.

We love to jab at each other in the forums and in our cache hides and finds.

Jaimee placed her Revenge to "get" me for the Dragonfly she couldn't find.....she wasn't alone there, and others never did find it even after multiple tries.

The last time I looked for Dragonfly I coluldn't find it !

After I couldn't find her Revenge without a hint from her, I placed RSR...Two people have found it and they needed heavy-duty hints.

There are other hard ones too, but we have plenty of "easy" ones as well. Sometimes it's just dumb luck that gets any of these found. I've gone to ones that other people have found hard and found it in 2 minutes. On the other hand, I've looked for 30 or 40 minutes sometimes for one that others found in 10 minutes....no telling what affects a hunt.

Anyway, it's all in fun...I often forget to put in smiley faces and we all know that words without voice can be interepreted in the wrong way.

Looking forward to going after some of yours in the next month or so.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

All of the caches I had planned for my trip were a product of Ron, LuzOzzy, and

I have never had so many pink sad faces in a row.

Pepper

Hey, I'm not sure you can include me in the evil catagory. My only caches in the area are Grotto and 21st Symphany.

Grotto has some rock scrambling to do but I give a really good hint once your there, unlike Stars and Stripes which took me two good tries.....hmmmmmm.

Didn't you read the logs going in?

george

So, I don't expect many people to go for my Black Box cache so as an incentive I've been leaving clues in varous caches that I've been hunting. If you look for my logs you'll see what I mean. Not the computer logs, the actual logs.

george

quote:

It's been found already. I only posted it a few hours ago and didn't expect anyone to even try. I was still checking to see if it was approved and then Whammo!!!

Good Job Mike.

george

some of us have to work. i didn't even get a chance at this one. i've been robbed. icon_wink.gif

oh well, everybody keep your eye's open i have

a couple going out today. a one time only, and a

regular cache. they will be fairly close to my

house if that helps.

good luck,

tomaski

Some of us work (blech) and some of us have paid for a membership and have yet to be able to use it for member's only caches because no one will give us the validation codes icon_mad.gif

Here we thought we would be able to go for a member's only cache, finally...grrrrrrrr

Who found it?? Mike Morris, right? Congrats! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Well I was going to work today but decided it was going to be to hot. Just kidding I have a couple more days off, Then back to the frindly sky's I was cleaning my yard for the 4th and came in to take a break(and look at geocaching) When I seen Georges cache pop up. So I had to go get it. Mike

If you look at the post times, the cache must have been approved in less than an hour. I expected a few hours at least and figured it would be approved right when everyone was getting off work.

Mike, did you get the email telling you what the gift was yet?

geroge

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Some of us work (blech) and some of us have paid for a membership and have yet to be able to use it for member's only caches because no one will give us the validation codes icon_mad.gif

Here we thought we would be able to go for a member's only cache, finally...grrrrrrrr

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

You mentioned that last week at the dinner? What's the status of the whole thing?

george

quote:

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

i placed two cache's. a members only "one timer"

and a regular with the coords to the M.O.

i logged the regular one first so hopefully it will post first and give everybody a shot at it.

27th SKUNK

skunks independance

good luck.

tomaski

We are now charter members..finally. I guess Jeremy had been out of town so it took a while to get everything processed.

Now we can hunt the member's only caches..WOOHOOOOO!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I just checked on Kevin's new ones and they still haven't been approved. If I am up late again tonite, I might check again!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

quote:

So, how do I change my "title" under my name?? I have changed it under my profile information, but it didn't seem to work.

Anyone know??

Jaimee

Spellchecker? I see you figured it out.

I'm trying to decide what to do if the caches are approved sometime late tonight. I have lights. There are 7 unapproved caches ahead of the first one and then another 5 to the prize.

I think the approvers have gone to sleep since the haven't been any new caches approved in the last hour or so.

did you check the spelling?

george

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

It's weird how some caches post real quick and some take along time, If they post by midnight I will go get them, Up for a midnight run anyone?

Mike

Now you see why you shocked me with your find. It was approved so quickly. This one is takeing a while...

I still might see you there. I don't know how sick I am yet, let's see when it gets approved first. Maybe that will be a sign.

I've got my gaiters on just in case.

george

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

good luck everybody,

hope they post soon, make sure your headlights

have batteries.

midnite runs are fun icon_wink.gif

_tomaski_

Kevin, check the activity and tell us who's been checking the MO cache the most.

george

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

good luck everybody,

hope they post soon, make sure your headlights

have batteries.

midnite runs are fun icon_wink.gif

_tomaski_

Kevin, check the activity and tell us who's been checking the MO cache the most.

george

you have georgie. everybody else is just once or twice

Hello from the Retreevers 4.

We just got back from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. We went geo hunting in each of the states and found several caches. I was at first amazed that so many of the caches spelled out exactly where a cache could be found until we did the first cache and found out how bad tree coverage can be!

It was fun to be in so many new places. We had many many mosquitoes and deer flies and ticks (yuck) but we also had a great time seeing the different relatives and visiting the Great Lake area. We turned loose two of our own travel bugs and we'll see when/if they make it home.

To answer an inquiry about a river float one that is not too bad is from the Old La Grange Bridge down to the Baso Bridge. We have done that one with the kayaks with our kids (they started kayaking when they were 8 and 10) Only problem with it is the water level is sometimes too low for the kayaks. There is a web site that we check for water levels before we go but I am too brain foggy from traveling to remember it right now. We will be checking out all these new caches after getting cleaned up from our travels.

It's good to be home.

quote:
Originally posted by retreevers 4:

Hello from the Retreevers 4.

We just got back from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan. We went geo hunting in each of the states and found several caches. I was at first amazed that so many of the caches spelled out exactly where a cache could be found until we did the first cache and found out how bad tree coverage can be!

It was fun to be in so many new places. We had many many mosquitoes and deer flies and ticks (yuck) but we also had a great time seeing the different relatives and visiting the Great Lake area. We turned loose two of our own travel bugs and we'll see when/if they make it home.

To answer an inquiry about a river float one that is not too bad is from the Old La Grange Bridge down to the Baso Bridge. We have done that one with the kayaks with our kids (they started kayaking when they were 8 and 10) Only problem with it is the water level is sometimes too low for the kayaks. There is a web site that we check for water levels before we go but I am too brain foggy from traveling to remember it right now. We will be checking out all these new caches after getting cleaned up from our travels.

It's good to be home.

I grew up in the U.P. of Michigan in a small town called Ishpeming. I can feel your pain about the hords of pests that control that region. I don't know which are worse the mosquitos, the biting black flies, the horse flies, the hornets, or the leeches. I have sworn to only visit in the winter because i can stand the snow, but not the bugs.

Mary

Okay..so I just saw that one of Kevin's caches has been approved..it's 6:12 a.m. I have a 7:20 a.m. class..so if I call my friend who usually rides with me and tell her to drive herself, I could run by and STEAL this one away from both George AND Mike!!!! OH MY..what fun that would be!!!! icon_eek.gif But..then I would be late to class...and since I am such a devoted student, I am going to have to try for this one later maybe..or maybe not!

Kevin..I am pretty sure you suck for doing a rock cache. You Central Valley people and your rocks..sheesh!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome home to the Retreevers! Glad you had a fun and safe trip. Glad to be back to the nice, cool weather here in the valley?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Have a good day everyone. Good luck to those who race to the new caches!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

Just put a new cache up near where I work. I wanted to jump on the 4th bandwagon! This is a really small one in a busy area. It was approved in less than an hour!

Here's the link:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=27613

This one's real easy for me to check on!

I'm just too tired to head out for this one.. We're gong to the movies later so maybe I'll go for it then.

Stayed up too late and got up too early. I need a shower.

george

Speaking of new caches. I posted one a few days about a mile up into Del Puerto Canyon. It's a little different than what has been done before and so the admin asked me to change a few things. It's still under review and I don't know if it's going to be approved.

There is no cache container but you do have to find something.... a fossile imprint in sandstone. You basically go to this spot and start splitting the sandstone rocks to see if you get lucky....

Let's wait and see.

george