Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

We just hid our first 2 caches in "our neck of the woods." There aren't many caches here where we live (compared to Modesto or something), so this'll change that a little.

They're both pretty easy, but they're in heavy foot-traffic areas, so that will make it harder. Especially #1, which is pretty big for where it is.

I don't know how long they take to post, but here's the links:

Warrio#1:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=26783

Warrio#2:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=26785

Hope they're 'successful' (not found by mere mortals!)

See everyone on the 27th!

Randy

Hi all you valley cachers I just posted my fourth cache. I have no idea how long they take to get approved these days, we'll see. I worked long and hard on this cache to make the hunt interesting. Hope ya like it.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

My new cache "Lena's Place" has been approved. It is in Jackson. I hope everyone likes it. I styled it after "Only on a Sunday" by Ron Streeter,but it is much easier. I think I said all of the above in a previous post, but here goes my question. Is anyone still trying to solve "Only on a Sunday"? I thought is was pretty amazing (and lucky) when I found it.

Have fun with Lena...I think you will laugh.

Scot

is quite tough. My husband and I visited it the same day we found the overturned vehicle near Secret Forest.

We spent close to 1-1/2 hours at "Only on Sunday" but were not successful. We had planned to go back up to look some more, but we just haven't made it up there yet.

It most definitely is a challenge..and I have NO clue of what I am even looking for there. Part of me likes that challenge, but the other part of me likes instant gratification!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

George and I had a fun time getting this one, The cache is placed very well, You wont find it unles your looking for it, You will have to take some kind of floating devise to get to it and it will take you awhile but it's fun, If you need a boat to get to it I have one and the Retrevers also have some. I would suggest going for this one. Thanks for going with me George. Mike

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

George and I had a fun time getting this one, The cache is placed very well, You wont find it unles your looking for it, You will have to take some kind of floating devise to get to it and it will take you awhile but it's fun, If you need a boat to get to it I have one and the Retrevers also have some. I would suggest going for this one. Thanks for going with me George. Mike

How many hours were we on that river? Three maybe. Bring some water to drink and don't forget the sunscreen. I'm off to the 2 new ones in turlock.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

Only on Sunday

I have tried to find it also. Once with Dawn (My Girlfriend) and once by myself. Both times

I could not find it. I know I was close but did not see anything. I took some pictures in the

house and I thought I did find it but Ron said no.. Will try to get back sometime when

I get off my crutches..

Richard

Anyone still interested in doing a camping/caching weekend in Monterey? We were thinking of trying to plan something for August, preferably the 1st or 3rd weekend.

I have no real ideas for camping spots over there. The only place I have ever stayed in that area is the KOA in Watsonville..and that was MANY years ago..but it was very nice.

I will look around and see what else is available. Let us know if you are interested in camping!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Anyone still interested in doing a camping/caching weekend in Monterey? We were thinking of trying to plan something for August, preferably the 1st or 3rd weekend.

I have no real ideas for camping spots over there. The only place I have ever stayed in that area is the KOA in Watsonville..and that was MANY years ago..but it was very nice.

I will look around and see what else is available. Let us know if you are interested in camping!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

You can camp at Lagun Seca Raceway and Toro Park of hwy 68. There is also a small campground in the middle of Monterey on this hill top. Can't remember the name of it. If you have an RV there is a nice spot north of Monterey just along the beach. I can get the name of that spot if you want. It's also about 1/4 mile from one cache that I know of.

Toro Park has 4 caches, i think.

george

....with a vengence ! (no wait, that was Revenge, Sweet Revenge !)

135 mile round trip, 8 hours, 11 caches (I think). I'll make a complete list later, but I got George's two new ones....Pocket and Bull Durham and then the two new ones in Turlock...sorry George...river rafting cost you a couple of first to finds, but then you got the lover's landing instead.

Then I think I got all of the Morris new ones, at least one of the O'briens.

More later....gotta rest !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Hi ya'll headed to Don Pedro Thursday evening for a three day camping weekend. Does anybody know of any caches in the area. My plans are to cache all weekend while the husband goes fishing.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=12539

There are a lot of good caches along hwy 108 plus a some good ones down by La Grange.

Some must hit caches.....

Dragonfly

T4

The Grotto

Sacto Dist

Revenge

there are a few virtuals in the area too. You're within a short drive of a LOT of caches.

george

...now that it's official...all my finds logged...sorry to have spoiled those first to finds for LO/F and George/Mary. At least George got to sprint for a 2nd place.

Here's the final tally:

First 4 were FTF caches...

Pocket Monster

Bull Durham

Warrior 1

Warrior 2

Fun Cache #2

Willie S.

Fun Cache #1

Kassies #2

Sweet Tarts

Green & Gold

I also pulled my Nothing But Balls cache and will place it elsewhere...to bad the tree cover was so bad there, because the hiding spot was sweet.

I parked a couple of blocks from George's 2:10 A.M. cache before reading the description and found out it was a letterbox with multiple steps. Should have done more research on that one. Maybe next time. It was a long day.

Looking forward to the dinner on Thursday..I thought it was Wednesday all day today, so some of my log entries at the caches will have the wrong day, but the right date ! Must have been sunstroke.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I think I'm coming out your way tomorrow morning to grab a few caches before lunch. Where was it that George got his gaiters? I've tried about 6 places near me without any luck at all.

If you're going to be in Modesto, I got mine at VAlley Sporting Goods on McHenry Ave. It is a shopping center on the corner of McHenry and Briggsmore.

They had two types of low gaiters for sale.

And I LOVE THEM!!! I sleep with them at night, I wear them with flip flops, and I think I'll wear them to work tomorrow.

george

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

hey ron

did you get the XMAP software? if you did load some on your handheld to see at the dinner.

did anyone else notice that georges little picture makes him look like a terrorist?

maybe its just me.

_tomaski_

I wouldn't be talking about photos if I were you. icon_eek.gif

george

...George, a terrorist? Nah....hey, wait a minute some new evidence I gathered on him today DOES lend some believability to that !

George.....now YOU mention it, that Tomaski DOES have that LOOK !

Some cover you guys have got going for you. Lets you walk around with electronic gear, placing packages in weird places. OK, the JIG is up. We're turning you BOTH in.

You know as I was driving on McHenry today at Briggsmore, I THOUGHT that area looked familiar. That's where I bought my first TOPO! software a year ago. I thought about looking for the shop, but I was beat by that time and had about 3 caches to go. Gaiters will be there I suspect...maybe the day of the geodinnner.

Kevin...I DID get the Delorme 4.0 and the XMAP, but am unhappy with both and think I will send them back. I may still have it loaded to Visor Prism though...you'll see what I mean when I demo it to you.

Later guys....Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on June 26, 2002 at 09:56 AM.]

LOL LOL LOL..maybe a hillbilly terrorist! Those overalls and plaid shirt definitely make me think Appalachian mountains for some reason! icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe we should do a poll, asking "Does this person look like a terrorist to you?" Better yet, maybe we should forward George's picture to my Utah buddy and get his expert opinion!

We are hoping to place a couple of new caches tomorrow. I have one specific one planned for near the dinner site..so hopefully I will get the time to get it out there and posted in time!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

and I just figured out what it was!! Ron hadn't been picking on me lately!!! I just read a post from one of the new Turlock caches, and he is back to his true nature. icon_biggrin.gif

Ron..I was up earlier..but I was W-O-R-K-I-N-G!! I have not yet reached that elite status (read "old") of semi-retirement yet! icon_razz.gif

I hope to see you, Ron, on Thursday. I might have to place something special for just YOU to find, while the rest of us watch!

Jaimee icon_wink.gif

Oh yes, I remember, that's what I USED to do ! Now I geocache.

Actually, the next FIVE weeks of my summer vacation will go pretty fast with 10 cache finds a week, but then again since my fall teaching schedule is being reduced to 2 days a week, I SHOULD BE able to continue my caching career well into my 60's !

Now that LO.....well, what can I say....I feel some high-level trash-talking coming on. Don't give me any reason to fire it up Jaimee !

Ron

....in Colorado.

This is one of several caches I placed while on vacation recently. I doubt any of you will get there soon (or ever in this particular case), but if you enjoy 4-wheeling (Mike Morris for one) you may want to read about this, and for everyone else, the 5 pictures will be of interest.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=26874

I also placed a pretty nice one in the desert in Nevada...I'll probably get it up and running today also.

Ron

Thanks, George, for the pointer on where to get gaiters. I left home very early this morning, and got a few caches on my way to Modesto. I got to the store a little early, so I went and did Hello Kitty and (tried) Verde Mucho while waiting for it to open.

I got the cheaper version, but got an extra pair to give somebody else. Come to think of it, that would be a very cool FTF prize, huh?

The gaiters would be a great FTF prize...especially if they were placed in a cache in my front yard! icon_biggrin.gif

Pat and I were looking at gaiters in the Cabella's catalog after our last sticker-picking trip to Knight's Ferry. I am sure it is much worse out there now!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

....who's your pal, who's your buddy? Who was nice when you didn't like Pythagorus?

In other words, who is deserving of a first to find on those GAITERS !

In other news, here's a railroad cache in the Nevadan desert...how about it LO....up for a trip?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=26891

Ron

...don't quite know how to take your comment...nice picture of the dead thing.

Part of nature I guess, and collecting "nature's moments" is some of what I do when caching. I also take pictures of red stone arches, beautiful clouds and sunsets, and live critters like the other animal pictured in my Railroad Nest cache.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....who's your pal, who's your buddy? Who was nice when you didn't like Pythagorus?

In other words, who is deserving of a first to find on those GAITERS !

LOL icon_smile.gif

I think I will put a pair of gaiters in a cache as FTF prize...

To make it fair for both Central Valley and Bay Area geocachers, I will make it a cache that is mainly dependent on brainpower, kinda like Magic Trig was. That way, getting there first won't depend on driving distance...

I already have the idea, and am working on the implementation now. It's going to be one of those caches that is harder to place than it will be to find!

I'll let everyone know when I put it out. Should be in the next week or so.

Sorry Ron, I meant to put a smiley next to it. icon_razz.gif

I thought it was a cool and interesting picture.

I've felt that way after a couple of Chuguy's caches!

I love your caches, the second cache I ever hit, on my first day of caching, was one of yours. (Yellow Briefcase). One year ago next week!

-Mark.

Will cache for food

[This message was edited by Mr. Vic on June 26, 2002 at 10:18 PM.]

[This message was edited by Mr. Vic on June 26, 2002 at 10:24 PM.]

I have placed two new caches. I waited to post them until this morning so that they wouldn't be available until early this afternoon so people could find them before the dinner. I submitted them this morning at 5:30 A.M. They were approved before 7:00 Have fun and see some of you this evening.

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

LOL LOL LOL..maybe a hillbilly terrorist! Those overalls and plaid shirt definitely make me think Appalachian mountains for some reason! icon_biggrin.gif

Fisrt off, those are not overalls, I'm wearing a shop apron so I don't get all greasy working on bikes. Now being a hillbilly, I believe the correct term is Oakie.

quote:

Maybe we should do a poll, asking "Does this person look like a terrorist to you?" Better yet, maybe we should forward George's picture to my Utah buddy and get his expert opinion!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Speaking of scary photos, I just got a look at Pat's (Fathur) photo on his profile... (shiver). icon_eek.gif

george

Yes, I agree..it is a bit scary! I had to go look at it after reading what you wrote. He looks a bit constipated, don't you think?? icon_wink.gif

Ya see, I can make comments about the pictures of other folks because I am such a photogenic person icon_rolleyes.gif

See you peoples in a few hours I guess!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I just developed this one. Requires a little basic physics to solve. Fizzymagic has already sent me the correct coordinates all he has to do is go get it if he wants.

You're gonna get me in trouble, George. I went and got it this afternoon.

I had a great time at the geocaching dinner. Sorry I had to run, but it takes me almost an hour to get home. It was a lot of fun meeting all of you dedicated cachers. Or maybe I should call you 3 digit people. I am still way back in the double digits (17). But I have 2 really tough ones in there (G-2 and Only on Sunday). Hey if you can't brag on numbers, you gotta claim something. :-)

Thanks again for the good company.

Scot

You should be totally proud of finding "Only On Sunday"!! That is one tough cache...one that I have yet to conquer. I certainly hope it doesn't prove to be my nemesis like good ol' "Dragonfly" icon_mad.gif

It was a fun time tonight. Glad to meet the folks we hadn't met yet..and nice to see those of you whom we already knew!

Thanks guys!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I just developed this one. Requires a little basic physics to solve. Fizzymagic has already sent me the correct coordinates all he has to do is go get it if he wants.

You're gonna get me in trouble, George. I went and got it this afternoon.

I saw that, I'm glad you did. I hope others go for it. I might have to place parts of the coordinates in other caches around the state to got more visitors.

Or maybe little sheets with the problem partially solved with the final calculations left out. Hmmmm.

george

That was really fun. It was great meeting all the veteran cachers around here. I posted a couple pictures for the dinner, nothing great.

We'll definitely have to plan something again soon. Maybe theobriens (they were out of town for this one) and we will plan a barbecue or something. No promises!!!

Thanks again georgeandmary!