Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

I was very happy last night after work. We had a birthday dinner for Tammi and went out with my parents (their first time ever) to find Letter 22 and Skunks Toybox (HEY, A BUG - AND THE ONE I WANTED SO BAD!!!).

Anyway, feeling really good about ourselves, I called the Obriens and found out that they had been going cache crazy and GOT SEVEN THAT NIGHT. And the Blossom BUG.

Wow, I've got a pretty serious job ahead of me. I can feel their breath on the back of my neck now!! GREAT JOB guys - that's really impressive. Especially when you get off work at around 5 like I do.

----

Dragonfly huh? Sounds fun. LOL

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Hey George is that a hint? I have about 4 ready to hide, I will try to get them out tomorrow around the county. Did you check on balance cache?. Mike

I don't know if you heard but I was in a FTF race with some bay area folk. You might want to go for it. There is a really nice hand made hiking stick at the cache. I just wanted the FTF (didn't get it), and Pepper (the real FTF) didn't want it either. We each already had hiking sticks and we wanted to leave it for someone who needed it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=26129

In otherwords.. I haven't had a chance to check 'ballance'. I heard you fell in, if you said there were kids in the area, it's probablly gone. I will check on it soon. Maybe tomorrow. I'm going to try to stock up on some ammo cans. The Turlock surplus as some nice ones and a good price. If I get a chance I'll run down and check the cache too.

Place those caches quick. It's been taking longer for caches to get approved lately. I need 4 more by friday.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCrickets:

_George_

There are 5 other caches in the park that the picnic is at. So you can wait and get the others unless you have got them.

Richard

Gobbled those up a couple weeks ago. 4 out of those 5 are really quick and easy. One is really creative and fooled me the first time. Had to go back for a second trip.

george

Just got back from Turlock Surplus... they have a ton of ammo cans. The small ones are $5 and the larger ones are $8. They're in really good shape too. Not all rusty like the ones at the Modesto Surplus store.

I just picked up a few.

george

.....and ready for caching.

After about 2 weeks in Colorado, Utah, Nevada, I am ready for some good old Central Valley Caching and weather !

I found caches in each state and ran into two sets of cachers at two separate caches. I also ran into some Californians from Grass Valley. What are the chances of that on a trail into a Utah redrock arch in the middle of nowhere...not even at the Arches National Park !

Good to be back and looking forward to the dinner...don't even know when it is for sure. Will check posts, etc.

LO....thanks for the plug on Dragonfly ! It's grown over now so will be even harder. I couldn't find it the last time I looked !

Also, LO, have you gone for Revenge, Sweet, Revenge? You'll chew me out properly when you finally learn its location.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Hey Ron!

Glad you made it back safe and sound! I have not yet looked for RSR. We have done a whole lotta nothing for the past week since returning from our trip. It is still on my list of "must-do" caches.

Anyone else from our area going to the Bay Area event on Saturday?? I think we might. We learned a few days ago that they are holding a "Man Show" down at the Ceres Sports Arena, complete with lotsa beer, bikinis and bands. Just what needs to be held out in a rural area such as this! I figure it's best if I leave home for the day to avoid getting myself into trouble by yelling at the idiots! icon_eek.gif

There are 4 or 5 caches in that same park where they are holding the event, so we can get some hunting done as well as we go.

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Hey Ron!

Glad you made it back safe and sound! I have not yet looked for RSR. We have done a whole lotta nothing for the past week since returning from our trip. It is still on my list of "must-do" caches.

Anyone else from our area going to the Bay Area event on Saturday?? I think we might. We learned a few days ago that they are holding a "Man Show" down at the Ceres Sports Arena, complete with lotsa beer, bikinis and bands. Just what needs to be held out in a rural area such as this! I figure it's best if I leave home for the day to avoid getting myself into trouble by yelling at the idiots! icon_eek.gif

There are 4 or 5 caches in that same park where they are holding the event, so we can get some hunting done as well as we go.

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

i think i am going. my girls are all going to a birthday party so i think i can make it.

yea, welcome back ron. i was on my way back from the hills a couple of weeks ago and i also stopped to check on dragonfly. i didn't have the coords. but i really don't think that had anything to do with me not finding it again. that is just a hard cache to find. i looked about 15 mins. and gave up.

hopefully i'll see some of you on sat.

tomaski

....for the welcome back ! But, wow, Morris no sooner gets those caches out there and BOOM they're found !

One of the caches I found in Utah was placed in April of 2001 and had only been found 18 times !

LO---now where was that Binki bash you were talking about? I DO have a little free time this weekend !

Ron

That was a race..but a fun one!! We found all 5 of the new Morris caches. I kept thinking we would run into Tomaski somewhere..and yep, we sure did. We were FTF on 3 out of the 5..so it was a fun day!

Ron..the bikini bash is right down the road from my house..but I don't think you should go. Men your age should avoid such activities..bad for the ol' ticker!! icon_razz.gif Oh...wait...it's the "Man Show"...does that mean that the MEN will be in bikinis???? Hmmmmmm.....

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I didn't expect the new caches to be approved so quickly... I didn't even look. I went to Lake Del Valle this evening to get two on the north end of the lake and then we had some dinner.

I'll get the caches tomorrow. I'm kind of raced out... I don't know if you heard about the FTF race I had going in the bay. With a 1/2 hour disadvantage I only got beat by a min. Oh well.

On the long drive back I came up with an idea for a really hard cache. Similar to this cache...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=24907

but maybe a little harder since you'll also have to know Phsics to solve it. I bought some new ammo cans and I'm picking some special items to place in the cache.

george

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

congrats george,

i figured you would have to get it done today.

just remember who got you started now that your a big caching celeb. icon_wink.gif

tomaski

I've reached such lofty heights that I'm starting to get nose bleeds.... or maybe it's just my swelled head.

Hey Ron!!

I've been meaning to ask you,

What do you mean "this is not the cache"

geroge

My wife and I found the G-2cache. It had been sitting near my favorite fishing spot for almost a year with no finders. I am writing this to encourage all of the Central Valley Cachers (especially Ron) to go for it. It is an absolutely beautiful area. The hike is a killer if you follow the descriptions instructions. FOllow mine instead. It was a fun weekend with great fishing.

Have fun everyone.

Scot

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

Congrats George on finding # 200. icon_cool.gif It's gonna be evem harder to find the next 200. (Mileage wise)

That's why it's good to see some new blood i the area. If they each hide a few caches it'll help my gas bill.

I've also realized that it takes just as long to drive to Dublin as it does to Oakdale. There still are plenty of caches in the east bay to keep me busy.

george

george

quote:
Originally posted by sfm12:

My wife and I found the G-2cache. It had been sitting near my favorite fishing spot for almost a year with no finders. I am writing this to encourage all of the Central Valley Cachers (especially Ron) to go for it. It is an absolutely beautiful area. The hike is a killer if you follow the descriptions instructions. FOllow mine instead. It was a fun weekend with great fishing.

Have fun everyone.

Scot

Scot, I'm trying to get a feel for how big the parking is at Ebbetts Pass. I flirting with the idea of going down there on 4th of July. Do you think the parking will be full? I have no idea if it is a wide spot in the road next to a cliff or a paved lot with 30 spaces. Thanks, Glenn

Here is the link to G-Cache 2.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=5771

quote:
Originally posted by sfm12:

Have fun everyone.

Scot

That's one that's way out there... Tomaski and I have this one in the planning stages ..

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4483

george

This was the question.

Scot, I'm trying to get a feel for how big the parking is at Ebbetts Pass. I flirting with the idea of going down there on 4th of July. Do you think the parking will be full?

Here is the answer.

The parking lot could hold about 20 cars (if well parked). This area is not packed on a normal weekend, but could get a little worse on the 4th. I would go ahead and try it. I would also suggest driving a small car in this area if possible. Highway 4 is little more than 1 and 1/2 lanes wide and has no center stripe. I will upload a pic to this cache site that was taken a few weeks ago at the entrance to the parking lot. You can see the road and the snow that blocked me from getting into the parking area.

Scot

...email me with some more specifics about your question...."this is not the cache". I'm not sure what cache you are talking about, and don't want to give anything away here.

Congrats on your #200. I am still going for 300 but am going to go slow I think. I'll probably go for Mike's new five (which I haven't looked up yet).

I still have 3 caches to post (that I placed) while on vacation !

Takes a while to get caught up after a long trip. Of course I did go see the Bourne Identity this afternoon, so I am still "partying" during the old teacher's summer break.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

...email me with some more specifics about your question...."this is not the cache". I'm not sure what cache you are talking about, and don't want to give anything away here.

let's say I found Tut 1 inside. I get to the area, having already found one of the Scarabs and I see something and grab it. Pick it up and turn it over and what does it say? "This is not the cache" ... what the?

I found the cache a bit later.

I here you've done that before.

quote:

Congrats on your #200. I am still going for 300 but am going to go slow I think. I'll probably go for Mike's new five (which I haven't looked up yet).

I still have 3 caches to post (that I placed) while on vacation !

Takes a while to get caught up after a long trip. Of course I did go see the Bourne Identity this afternoon, so I am still "partying" during the old teacher's summer break.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

It's getting sparse, cache wise, around here. The only thing in the area that I haven't found is Nothing but balls... I haven' found it since you moved it. I've tried twice. Dang trees.

I might have to wait until fall.

I've been concentrating on the east bay area lately.

george

It was a good picnic... lots of people.

I met, chuguy, fizzymagic, jimswim, pepper (team supergenius), paul, Mr. Vic, Tomaski, Kablooey, and others....

There was lots of good food and the weather was nice. A slight breeze to keep it from getting too hot.

There were 3 games..

Pepper hid 42 flags through out the park, she gave out the coordinates 45 min before the game started so we would have time to enter the coodinates. I started entering and then the next thing you know I started chatting with people and forgot to enter the coordinates.

Game time came and I had only entered 1/2 the coordinates and tomaski got a blister on his thumb so he stopped entering about 7. We decided to team up and go for it.

I've been to the park a couple times so I knew the area. Everyone ran west so I took a gamble and headed to the east end so I would have the area to myself. As we walked east I kept entering coordinates hoping some would pop up near the east end...... 2 flags showed up. One was found by the time we got there and the other we could find.

Hmmmm the gamble did not pay off. Tomaski and I found zero flags. We ditched the game and I watched Tomaski find the park caches. They were all gimmes except one. I got to watch Tomaski dig and poke in the wrong area for a good 10 minutes before I encouraged him to read the clue.

The second game was a Zero Spot game.

Fizzy had taken coordinates of a spot he could find and then everyone else tried to get as close as they could using the coords. Closest to the unmakred spot wins. I think the Magellan crowd had an advantage over the Garmin folk. Tomaski and I didn't win that either. We were about 10-12 ft away. The winner was about an inch away. 2nd Place was about 3 ft away. It was interesting to see the grouping.

After the games we sat around and chatted and chatted and chatted. Talked about caches we liked and caches we didn't like.

I showed off my new gaiters..(NO STICKERS IN THE SOCKS!!)

It was a good time.

george

You say that you are looking for more Modesto Caches? You say that the new ones were quick finds. How hard would you like them to be? We will make a committment to hide 10 by next Sunday night. But we need to know, do you want to work for these ones?

We're off to Monterey Bay for a day full of caches...

The O'Briens....

quote:
Originally posted by TheOBriens:

You say that you are looking for more Modesto Caches? You say that the new ones were quick finds. How hard would you like them to be? We will make a committment to hide 10 by next Sunday night. But we need to know, do you want to work for these ones?

We're off to Monterey Bay for a day full of caches...

The O'Briens....

Monterey has some nice caches.. i need to get back there.

The O'Briens missed the great stump-a-thon caches from a couple months ago so you may have missed out on a particularly evil period locally. You still have a chance to find those caches though.

Did I say modesto caches were easy? I don't recall that, Shadow Cliff caches are easy.

If given the choice on how hard of a search I want how about something harder than the llamas and easier than RSR.

Maybe around the level of Underdog, Dragonfly or Skunks Toybox, Timberrrr, or Fern Gully, or Magic Trig.

Something in that range.

george

ps. They don't have to be IN modesto.

Perfect.. I still have not found Timberrr and have tried for Skunks twice. So all I need to do is place them in a place I can't find. Looks like the northeast side of town is pretty cache free, so we'll start there.

Sorry we will not be there for the dinner this week, the family is making me take them to Disneyland. Perfect, I said, "We can spend all day looking for theose park caches". We hope to meet all of you real soon!

The OBriens

Well we finally got a PDA, After about a day and a half of trying to figure out how to get it working, I called Kevin for some help. the problem I had was it's not windows XP compatible. I installed it on my desktop(windows 98) It worked fine. We will save alot of money on paper and ink. This thing is very cool. Thanks for the help Kevin. Now off to do lovers landing. Kevin, I will let you know how my secret way turns out. Mike

quote:

Now off to do lovers landing. Kevin, I will let you know how my secret way turns out. Mike

I tried talking my way into that one though the gravel pit. It's doable but getting permission wan't coming easy and eventually they had to get back to work.

I did learn that there is some kind of tunnel to the base of lovers leap. It's an old flume. I just don't now where the entrance is but I have an idea.

A must have item in your backpack

It's sticker season.. foxtales and their cousins have been attacking my socks so I finally boght some gaiters.... they're awasome. Can't live without them. I now have to fear of tall grass with pokey things. Valley Sporting Goods caries them in Modesto and I highly recomend that you get a pair.

Bay area caches

I found Stumped by Chuguy today. Well Mary found it before I really even started looking. Sometimes you get lucky. She found it almost right away. I was practically still looking for the zero spot.

george

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I found Stumped by Chuguy today. Well Mary found it before I really even started looking. Sometimes you get lucky. She found it almost right away. I was practically still looking for the zero spot.

Impressive! What did you think of it? Inspired, isn't it?

And did you see the zebra?

You go girl, two thumbs for Mary! Pretty cool, is it not. Ya gotta do Stumped Again, just as fun.

Pepper

Oh yes btw I spent about 5 hours today working on my next placement. This is the same cache I was working on when I cut my hand open, well now it is finished. Little Lila and I will be placing it tomorrow. Cache name will Stars & Stripes. FTF gift is a New Old Navy July 4th T-Shirt they are sooo cool I bought one for the whole SuperGenius Clan and one for the cache. Size XL

I will let ya'll know when I actually post it.

Horizontals where it's at!

We tried to get close today but the property we were on had a 50 ft drop to the water. I was 300 feet from it then we went to raft down and found the boat had a hole in the side. George let me know when you go for it. If you want company, I want to go too. Otherwise, I have to patch the boat and go next weekend. Mike

Has anyone had the chance to look for caches in the old Fort Ord? Should I disreguard the "Live Ordinances keep out" or the "Hazardous Wast Depot keep out" signs? Are they just left overs? We scrapped those caches for the day (we still nabbed 11). My favorite was Jack's Cache. It was a real challenge.

Taking the day off tomarrow (from caching).

The OBriens....

quote:

We tried to get close today but the property we were on had a 50 ft drop to the water. I was 300 feet from it then we went to raft down and found the boat had a hole in the side. George let me know when you go for it. If you want company, I want to go too. Otherwise, I have to patch the boat and go next weekend. Mike

My latest idea was to just jump in an inner tube at Knights Ferry and ride it out to Honolulu Bar or there abouts.

If you have a raft, I may have to jump in with you.

Let me know if you get the raft patched...

I actually have to work Wednesday and Thursday this week. But mostly weekdays are good for me. Weekends are fine to but I usually try to spend more time with the wife those days.

george

quote:
Originally posted by TheOBriens:

Has anyone had the chance to look for caches in the old Fort Ord? Should I disreguard the "Live Ordinances keep out" or the "Hazardous Wast Depot keep out" signs? Are they just left overs? We scrapped those caches for the day (we still nabbed 11). My favorite was Jack's Cache. It was a real challenge.

Taking the day off tomarrow (from caching).

The OBriens....

I've done a lot of mountain biking on the Fort Ord Trails and I've only seen a few of those signs. I've never had to cross them before. I'd emailt he cache owner to make sure you're approaching from the correct direction before I went though that.

george

Seems that Zachnliam ran across a big ol' owl taking a nap while hunting one of the Morris clan's new caches. They didn't wake it because they weren't sure of how it would react.

My question is this...why didn't you wake it so future visitors to the cache would know how owls react when awakened???? icon_biggrin.gif

I think that would have been a wonderful contribution to the world of caching!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Hello from Minnesota!

We have had an enjoyable time traveling around Winsconsin and now are in MN with relatives so I have a chance to log in and get e-mail.

There are advantages to the Centeral Valley one being fewer mosquitoes. Of course, it is very green and lush (and rainy) here, and you don't need gaiters for the weed seeds!

For those that wish to go to Lovers Landing we do have a canoe and 4 kayaks if you would like to borrow it/them when we get home. The river makes for an enjoyable summer cruise even in an inner tube. The only caution is the Russian Rapid up near Knight's Ferry and even then there is a portage around it. Canoes should not go through the rapid except with whitewater-experienced paddlers. It has a sharp turn that would be unpleasant to bend a canoe around. icon_rolleyes.gif

We released a few travel bugs back here. Hopefully they will make it home to Modesto. icon_razz.gif

ttfn

Sherrie

quote:

George, tomorrow is going to be 100. It would be nice to float down a nice cool river when it's that hot. If I cant get the boat fixed, tubes sound good. If you can go tomorrow let me know. Mike

I can go... I have to be in Modesto at 9:15 but I'm usually done by 9:45 and then I'm free for the day. If you can get the raft fixed I'd be up for it.

I have my little truck so we could leave one car down river to drive us back up.

george

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....don't forget your PFD.

Can you bring your gaiters and new walking stick to the geodinner? I feel the need to spend more money to further my search for trinkets in the woods !

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

The gaiters are nice. My hiking stick is nothing special.. It's a basic telescoping hiking stick from REI. Leki, Tracks, REI and others make basically the same thing with slight differences in grips, lenghts, springs.. etc etc. Mine has a screw off top that turns it into a monopod for taking pictures. I haven't used it yet.

george

For those of you who found Del Puerto Creek, you know the situation. It's been hot and dry and the cache hiding place is not what it used to be. I went down there, suspecting it would be gone and it was. The hiding area is not what it used to be.

george