Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....anybody hear from Mike Morris? Did he fall in the lake at Pinecrest?

Maybe Tomaski suffered a similar fate !

Report in troops or we'll send out the geocaching squads to find YOU !

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

hello everybody,

i'm always here you just don't see me. i like to read the modesto forum, its kinda like my newspaper.

the girls and i picked up two virtuals over the long weekend, and i got the memorial day cache.

i have to admit that my caching has slowed abit.

i think its a combo of few local caches, the weather changing, and trying to spend more time with my 4 girls.

i generally slow everything while the weather changes, but as soon as i get used to it i'll be back to evening caching. i have to clean up all the scattered out close caches.

this weekend was a biggie for me. i got my

150th cache. in dec. when i started that seemed

years away, but with our local group feeding more and more it wasn't too difficult. it has been alot of fun too. i am an admitted hobby-a-holic

but i know my interest in geocaching is here to stay.

keep cool, icon_cool.gif

kevin

I haven't been able to get out to do any caching since Saturday and I'm itching to go.

I can't go tonight... Graduation at the High School

I can't go Thursday.. Doctor's appointment

I can't go Friday ... Start of the Apricot Fiesta

I can't go Saturday.. Still the Apricot Fiesta

I can't go Sunday.. I'll be recovering from the Fiesta

Since it's summer... I start Monday!!!

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

....I've got 'em !

Guess I'm an info-holic at the moment.

Kevin....

I take it you didn't run into Mike Morris at Pinecrest. He had gotten the note you left after I saw you at the parking lot. They had gone into town for some supplies.

George...

Got the itch eh? If you're in the mood for a "head-scratcher" of a hunt, I think I know one you could go for.

See you on the slopes guys !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:

George...

Got the itch eh? If you're in the mood for a "head-scratcher" of a hunt, I think I know one you could go for.

See you on the slopes guys !

Ron

Which head-scratcher are you talking about?

Zebra....

I've been getting some action on the cache. I've had people going back multiple times to find it. One guy got stumped but eventually found it after I added to the clue.

george

.....there's always Revenge, Sweet Revenge !

And I don't think you've been to the Modesto Picnic Leftovers either.

Then there's Black Scarab and Sandy Splash (a two-fer).

Hey, wait a minute....3 of those 4 were placed by me !

Ron

Yea...go for that one...especially if it's about 100 degrees out. Make sure to walk it though..no driving right up to the cache. Should get your heart rate up in the 190's if you take the same path we did! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, it's kind of a head scratcher once you get into the vicinity..lots of GPS spinning you round and round and round.

Off on our vacation in the morning. We have 5 or 6 caches to hunt for while in Branson but probably won't be stopping along the way to find any..especially if it stays warm like it is today!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

.....Don't let LO scare you off with those heat figures....you're a man...you can take it! (but take along a lot of water !)

LO.....

I have started mapping out my trip to Colorado through Nevada and Utah. My philosophy is that I will pick up a couple each day AS I drive..to break up the trip a bit.

I will be camping with my two daughters and their husbands near Denver, but don't know just where, so caching may not be an option at the destination. I will definitely PLACE a cache though at the campsite to commemorate the trip.

Branson....

Back in the late 1960's (when Pike's Peak colorado was still a molehill) my ex-wife and I motored to Branson for camping. This was WAY before all the Las Vegas atmosphere hit. I hope you enjoy your trip...take some pics!

George...you'll be interested in this thread about the CCCooper Agency.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=1830952864&p=1

There's some other junk in there too, but basically people still questioning these folks.

Ron

quote:

Zebra....

I've been getting some action on the cache. I've had people going back multiple times to find it. One guy got stumped but eventually found it after I added to the clue.

The clue is very good, George. Enough to help those who really need it, but obscure enough to not be too obvious.

I'll still move it if you wnat me to... Of course, then you'd have to change the clue! icon_rolleyes.gif

....my cache page...and then caches within my coordinates area.

Of the first 200 in a list of 902 caches, I have 49 yet to find. Most of these are in the East Bay and of course in Sac.

There are:

1 less than 25 miles away

5 between 25 and 30 miles away

5 between 30 and 33 miles away

4 between 33 and 35 miles away

15 between 35 and 38 miles away

8 between 38 and 39 miles away

11 between 39 and 40 miles away

Guess I should just start chipping away at these..no shortage of caches to go after IF the weather, weed seeds and other factors cooperate !

(then of course there's the list between #200 and #902)

Ron

quote:
Wallace the traveling cache....

check out where this cache is now hiding... and then check out near by caches. Looks kind of lonely out there..

You didn't mention that the only way to get to that part of Alaska is via a private plane or 100mi+ ferry ride. Wallace could be there awhile. Hopefully more GeoCachers will be taking Alaskan cruises. I also could use it as an excuse to cruise the inner passage myself.

If you look at the previous location it was pretty remote also; I thought Wallace was going to be there awhile.

The accessibility of the cache is not always relevant...I placed California Dreamin' in "Giddy-Up" on 4/15 and it's still there...

dave

I don't worry about typos, Jamie proofreads for me.

quote:
Originally posted by Dirt Hawker:
quote:
Wallace the traveling cache....

check out where this cache is now hiding... and then check out near by caches. Looks kind of lonely out there..

You didn't mention that the only way to get to that part of Alaska is via a private plane or 100mi+ ferry ride. Wallace could be there awhile. Hopefully more GeoCachers will be taking Alaskan cruises. I also could use it as an excuse to cruise the inner passage myself.

If you look at the previous location it was pretty remote also; I thought Wallace was going to be there awhile.

The accessibility of the cache is not always relevant...I placed California Dreamin' in "Giddy-Up" on 4/15 and it's still there...

dave

I don't worry about typos, Jamie proofreads for me.

that camera bug you took to arizona for me is practically lost. A geocacher picked it up and kept it for almost 2 months. I kept bugging them and bugging them to get it to move so they finally placed it in a cache but didn't update the page so that i showed the bug. I just emailed them again asking them to fix it. I'm about to give up on travel bugs.

I might pick up yours though.

george

Hello everyone, I hope your long weekend was good. Ron, we got your cache in Pinecrest, Im very sorry that I didnt get any put out intime for you and Kevin.But I do have some nice trout for you and your s.o. When we were getting ready to leave pinecrest my clutch went out in my jeep. Im glad we have AAA PLUS or that would of been an expensive tow. We came home for one day then went to a conference in Sacramento, When that was over we were having lunch and Carolyn said lets go to RENO, me being a SUCKER for roulette I said lets go.So now that we are back and my jeep is out of the shop we have to go back tomarrow and pick up our boat and get the coordinates for our caches that we hid. (we lost the coordinates) So after tomarrow there should be at least5 caches at pinecrest lake for people to find. Mike

I really need to start reading the cache pages. I went looking for a small cache (ie pythagoras, field of flags) and didn't realize that I was suposed to find something written on the cache.

Like I said, I might have moved the cache without knowing since I don't know what was written on what.

After searching a bit I came across the note left by Ron. It was very weathered and I didn't realize it was a note to me from Ron. I thought it was a note from Tomaski to me from the cace log. I thought that someone had trashed the cache and that this was all that was left. I then gave up the search and didn't figure everything out until I came home to log a note on the cache page.

Hmmmmmmm.

george

....to paraphrase an old "lawyer/client" cliche, I would have to say that the cacher who doesn't read the logs is looking for trouble !

Certainly that isn't always the case, but I read the logs at least back through the last 6 or so finds (or no finds) to see what is going on with the cache.

If a finder of one of my caches ever posts something that might be a giveaway, I usually delete it and email them right away telling them why and asking them to repost the find without any giveaways.

It's still possible to get some ideas from those posts, and certainly READING THE CACHE DESCRIPTION seems like an important thing to do.

The note George found at Revenge, Sweet Revenge was one I left for he and Tomaski but only Tomaski showed up for that search. Later cache seekers commented on finding the note too. It had nothing to do with the cache itself...just wishing them good luck.

Better luck next time George on RSR. No one has found it without 2 or three clues.

Ron

quote:

Better luck next time George on RSR. No one has found it without 2 or three clues.

Ron

It'll be a while before I go back. I'm waiting for the Pinecrest 5 to be posted before I head that way. I have my eye set on the bay area and sacratomato......

The only thing I'm worried about now is that I may have tossed it aside. I wasn't looking for writing on stuff, I was looking for a film canister. Even if you gave me another clue, it might not work any more due to my ignorance. You may want to go back and check.

I also took a stab at Lovers Landing. I never really got closer then .3 miles. I tried to talk my way into the area through the gravel pits. I chatted with an 'ole timer' who everyone said would know how to get down there. He knew, but he hemmed and hawwed and mentioned some 'tunnel' that I could take. He wasn't to keen on me going down there... private property and some kind of leech ponds. I was interupting his lunch and I finally decided I would have to take the wet way into the cache. I need a good waterproof clear bag for the gps.

george

Ron - RSR

quote:

No one has found it without 2 or three clues.

Ron

So what will be the prize be if someone finds it without a hint? icon_biggrin.gif

Richard

[This message was edited by GeoCrickets on June 03, 2002 at 11:38 PM.]

....The person who finds Revenge, Sweet Revenge without a clue will win the respect of all his/her fellow cachers.

This is one that will show the cacher has the skills, intuition and perseverance to prevail over all difficulties.

That is CERTAINLY the highest of rewards !

Ron

Ron

quote:

....The person who finds Revenge, Sweet Revenge without a clue will win the respect of all his/her fellow cachers.

This is one that will show the cacher has the skills, intuition and perseverance to prevail over all difficulties.

That is CERTAINLY the highest of rewards !

Ron

Darn and I was hoping for something from the OUTBACK in stockton. icon_biggrin.gif That is when we find it.

Richard

I thought I was going to be first to find the pinecrest caches. And I was the ftf the Fisherman's Secret... but then the next one stumped me... I did find a rattlesnake though.

The third cache (ron's) had me hopping up and down granite fins. I expected only to see Mike's log but then there was this litte stamp of an ant in the log next to mikes name. ?? Did Mike have a new logo?

I then went for the 4th cache and had to read the clue. Took me a while but I found it and I also found out that all these caches had been hit before. Chuguy is the ant. And he had hit all the caches the day before. But he didn't find Fisherman's Secret. He did find the one that stumped me though so I guess we're even. Headed back to the car, got the info for the virtual and headed up for one more virtual and home.

5 out of 6 caches for the day.

2 snakes (one poisonous)

200+ miles driving

4+ miles hiking

179 caches found to date

4 miles around the lake doesn't feel very far anymore.

george

....Chuguy snookered both of us !

Actually, I only thought briefly about zipping back to Pinecrest. Just seemed like too much effort when I am going to be driving 2400 miles round trip to Colorado pretty soon.

The distance and the HEAT has me sticking close to home this week.

I checked on Ladybug today (it's still there) and that 2 mile or so walk at 9 in the morning was as long and as warm as I want to get !

Ron

....I resemble that remark !

I will be caching in cool Colorado while you folks are pigging out!

That's OK, I'll place a cache there for the Central Valley Cachers....then we'll see how serious you are about caching.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by GeoCrickets:

_George_

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I see someone from Lodi is getting quilt squares sent to them... is that you Ron?

george

No it is us the GeoCrickets

Richard and Dawn..

Be sure to let us knew when you place the squares.

george

georgeandmary just wondering if Pleasanton is considered Central or East Bay? Only been in CA for 10 months and have yet to figure out these sort of things. I'm hungry can I come eat dinner you folks? I also have some squares on the way, I use to be seamstress first befor anything else NOT any more. Geo Addicted

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

georgeandmary just wondering if Pleasanton is considered Central or East Bay? Only been in CA for 10 months and have yet to figure out these sort of things. I'm hungry can I come eat dinner you folks? I also have some squares on the way, I use to be seamstress first befor anything else NOT any more. Geo Addicted

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

I'm going to change the page to emphasize that all are welcome.

george

I've found myself in a mini crusade concerning locationless caches. After some soul searching I've decided that it's against the spirit of geocaching to limit locationless caches to one person per find. I think it's more fun to allow people to claim the same cache more than once... especially when there is only a limited number of the item... State Capitols.

Imagine this.. some logs a natural arch. You see the coordinates are in your area. You use the coordinates to find the same arch and log it for yourself. Isn't that more like geocaching than strictly finding your own arch without knowing where to look?

Any ideas on this LO, it's up to you and you are under no obligation to change the requirements of your locationless.. I'm just giving you something to think about.

george

George

quote:

No it is us the GeoCrickets

Richard and Dawn..

Be sure to let us knew when you place the squares.

george

Dawn and I hope to be at the dinner. If so We will bring the Squares if we get them in time.

Richard.

....you do know that LO/F are somewhere between here and Missouri don't you? Don't know if they've got computer access on the way or when there.

I'll be taking my laptop along on my Colorado trip so will check out the forum from time to time to see what's up....including the GeoDinner.

This hot weather (along with getting ready for my trip) has kept me off the geocaching trail, but I plan to do some along the way and back.

Re your locationless thoughts....I thought the new guidelines for locationless had been published. i.e. that a locationless cache had to be available to anyone to find and that therefore a given spot could be logged by more than one person. Maybe they haven't been published yet.

I sort of lost interest in them pretty quickly, but not as quickly as the bench markers.

On Bench Markers....When I SEE one when I am out and about, I'll photograph it and then go from that direction, but going out even in my own community to find one that was bulldozed 20 years ago doesn't do much for me.

Ron

Ron

quote:

Re your locationless thoughts....I thought the new guidelines for locationless had been published. i.e. that a locationless cache had to be available to anyone to find and that therefore a given spot could be logged by more than one person. Maybe they haven't been published yet.

Ron

Thay have been published, in this thred. However I did not see anything about logging the same item..

Richard

[This message was edited by GeoCrickets on June 06, 2002 at 09:04 PM.]

quote:

I sort of lost interest in them pretty quickly, but not as quickly as the bench markers.

Ron

If benchmarks kept a find count I might look for them more. I've found 4 within a 1/2 mile of my house.

I did not know LO was gone, but all the locationless guidlines I've seen say nothing about logging more than once. That's kind of why I've started my mini crusade.

The heat hasn't kept me down. Either I go cacheing or I sit home and watch TV. I'm just going to start heading for the coast more. Until my pool is finished anyway.

george

George/Richard....I looked at the thread (I had seen it before, but didn't bookmark it) and you're right, the 4 points or so laid out by Jeremy don't say anything about a find needing to be available to multiple finders.

That really makes sense I guess, since the idea is to generate as many NEW hits as possible. If a 2nd finder wanted to see an earlier find, he/she could certainly go to it...but not log it.

I think I've found 2 or 3 locationless. When I checked one of the sites that tracks statistics, I couldn't figure out how I had found a cache in Florida and one other state, until the locationless mode kicked it. Can't say I am their biggest fan, but I do have an idea for one I might place !

George....either caching or watching TV. Me too, but this week getting ready for trip and working around my yards....moving plants around etc. As to TV watching, I'm a big movie fan, and if any of you liked Sixth Sense or Unbreakable, you would probably like The Mothman Prophecies with Richard Gere...based on a real story. I watched it today in the heat of the day !

Ron

Looks like I'll be doing some long drives and hikes this week. I've spotted some caches near sonora pass that are way off the beaten path. If I don't make it back, hide one for me.

On another note, Kevin Kee and I are going MTBing around Pinecrest tomorrow. Actually it's suposed to be some really long downhill ride. I plan to hide one way back in the woods. One of those caches that gets visited once a year.

george

Hello all

I just came by my uncle's here in Branson, Missouri...using his puter to check out a couple caches for the way home. It has been MUGGY and warm here, but we have had a good time. We leave tomorrow..taking the northern route home through Kansas, Colorado, Utah, and then a night in Vegas! Maybe we will run into Ron somewhere along the way.

George..post the state capitals if you want. Other people have posted duplicates. I just did the "only one per person" thing because it seemed that is what others were doing with their locationless caches..monkey see, monkey do!

Hopefully we will be home for the dinner..haven't checked out the page yet to see the dates.

Jaimee and Pat icon_biggrin.gif

.....Central Valley Cachers !

Just checking in from Wendover, NV where I am using a public library computer. I logged my three finds so far:

Truckee River Cache

In The Chips

Hellfire

I can't believe I drove my old 1991 Ford Econoline Van to the last two caches. Bad jeep roads ! Probably enough desert work for me. I'll look for some freeway caches.

I did place one, but I won't post it until I get back. It's in the middle of the desert too. It will probably be called Railroad Crossing. Ring any bells?

On that cache placement I saw some sort of antelope, a badger and a dead coyote.

On to Salt Lake City !

Ron

.....torn between going after caches or getting myself to Colorado, so doing a little of both.

I found one today outside Price, Utah where I posted it (and this) from the public library. Gotta love those libraries !

I even ran into some cachers at the Bramberger Corner cache...Potter and his wife. They have about 220 finds. Not a terribly unusual thing to happen (meeting a cacher in the wild) but maybe a little offbeat considering I am out of state. Wish I had that luck in the lottery !

Gotta go....Ron (off to a dino museum here in Price, UT)

Just a note to introduce myself (and the hangers on)... My name is Randy and my wife, Tammi, and our three sons, Zach (8) Liam (6) and Shane (8 mos!) went caching last night for the first time.

I used to own a GPS 40, but compared to my shiny new eTrex Legend, it's a piece of junk.

We're having a blast, and logged our first 3 finds yesterday. We're (or at minimum part of us are) planning on meeting some of you on the 27th.

Thanks for your time!

Randy Jensen

randy@jamzcheer.com

Zacnnliam

quote:
Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

Just a note to introduce myself (and the hangers on)... My name is Randy and my wife, Tammi, and our three sons, Zach (8) Liam (6) and Shane (8 mos!) went caching last night for the first time.

I used to own a GPS 40, but compared to my shiny new eTrex Legend, it's a piece of junk.

We're having a blast, and logged our first 3 finds yesterday. We're (or at minimum part of us are) planning on meeting some of you on the 27th.

Thanks for your time!

Randy Jensen

randy@jamzcheer.com

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see you at the dinner on the 27th also.

Happy caching

Richard of the GeoCrickets