Lost or stolen geocaches

GuepStrom

It's hard to say. They could be missing, or you could be inexperienced and simply not seeing them (especially the one on the bridge, which could be the size of the tip of your pinky finger). Logging a Needs Maintenance as you did is fine - it alerts the cache owner to a potential problem with the cache.

By the way:

You posted "Found It" on all 3 caches. If you used the Geocaching app, you didn't change the log type. You may want to delete those "found its".

Also, you do not have to post multiple "DNF" logs on the same day. One is sufficient. :)

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, GoOnATreasureHunt5 said:

Found It logs are for when you find the cache and sign the log. All your Found It logs on these caches should be deleted. One DNF per visit is enough! 

I see you have only a few,  well so did all of us at one time. I would expect the caches are still in place and you just missed finding them. They can be very small or hidden well. Not all caches are hidden the same way. When you find yourself at there coordinates posted the cache could be anywhere with in a 30 foot radius.  Good luck and keep on caching.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:20 PM, GoOnATreasureHunt5 said:

The first one that you linked has multiple DNFs before you so there is a fair chance it is really not there! Give the cache owner a little time to check on it before you post a second NM log! 

• Upvote 1

GoOnATreasureHunt5, You seem to get frustrated easily and file frequent logs, including "Needs Maintenance" logs.

This is not meant as an insult in any way, but stop and take a breath. Think about the hobby. How much fun would this be if everyone with only a few finds could easily locate every cache? Pretty soon, this would become intensely boring.

Hiding styles and container designs vary. Each cache is rated for 'difficulty' and 'terrain', but even the ones that the CO (Cache Owner) rates LOW in difficulty can be challenging.

Remember, no insult here, but with only five low-difficulty 'finds' over three weeks there's NO WAY that you have any kind of realistic perspective of what's out there.

EVERY ONE OF US started with the attitude that "if I didn't find it, it MUST be missing!", but it's rare. View the ones you DNF as challenges to come back to as you gain experience.

EVERY ONE OF US has gone back to avenge a multi-visit DNF, what I call a "NEMESIS CACHE", only to spot it from the car as we drive up. Doesn't matter if we spent an hour looking last time; it's always been right there in plain sight. I know that's hard to understand, but believe me you'll be laughing at yourself soon enough.

In case you didn't know, when you file a "NM" log, you're formally asking someone to go out and physically check a cache! Is that really what you want? You have asked three people to leave their houses, to make a trip to these caches because YOU didn't see them.  COs generally don't mind doing a Maintenance Run if there's damage, or a string of DNFs, but...

Now, you can't just delete those NM logs. A NM log sets a RED FLAG on a cache that the CO must respond to; deleting the NM doesn't change that. If, after reading this you decide that you might have been a little hasty, you can post a follow-up "Write Note" log or contact the CO through the Message Center. They'd appreciate it.

So, welcome to the hobby, chill out and start thinking deviously. Develop your 'spidey-sense'. Most importantly, don't make assumptions. Some of the best caches are hidden just few feet away from 'the OBVIOUS SPOT".

Come back and let us know how you make out.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
  • Upvote 3
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
On 12/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, GoOnATreasureHunt5 said:

Two days ago I was out geocaching and didn’t find anything despite looking everywhere.

Here is some general advice for beginners that I've posted before:

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPS device will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 5-6m (16-20ft) from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Where would you hide something? Do you notice anything unusual? Is anything too new, too old, too organized (e.g., UPS: an Unnatural Pile of Sticks/Stones), too symmetrical, not quite the right color or shape, etc.? Don’t look only on the ground; the cache may be knee-level, waist-level, eye-level, or overhead. How might the container be secured in place? With magnets? With a hook? With string? With fishing line? With something else? Does anything move when you touch it? (Be careful when touching things though.)

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums, and check out some geocaching videos on YouTube.

See also:

• Helpful 1

I have actually found all three of those! :) 

One of them was replaced in Sept so it is probably there; the other two do have other dnf's before yours.  If you need a hint, you can ask the CO for one. I also think it's a good idea to watch the pages and see when it is found again. Sometimes the logs have hints on them so it's a good idea to read them.

Don't be discouraged! Keep on caching! Guelph has an active geocaching community that has a lot of caches! I don't live there, but I have family there so I cache a lot in that city :)

• Helpful 1
On 12/10/2021 at 7:20 PM, GoOnATreasureHunt5 said:

Dude! Slow your roll!! You're logging needs maintenance on caches that you just logged needs maintenance on a few days ago! 

• Helpful 1

How do you exactly delete the logs? Thank you for the advice by the way.😁😁

On 12/11/2021 at 1:05 PM, TriciaG said:

It's hard to say. They could be missing, or you could be inexperienced and simply not seeing them (especially the one on the bridge, which could be the size of the tip of your pinky finger). Logging a Needs Maintenance as you did is fine - it alerts the cache owner to a potential problem with the cache.

By the way:

You posted "Found It" on all 3 caches. If you used the Geocaching app, you didn't change the log type. You may want to delete those "found its".

Also, you do not have to post multiple "DNF" logs on the same day. One is sufficient. :)

13 minutes ago, GoOnATreasureHunt5 said:

I'm not sure how to do it on the app, since I don't use it. :)

In a browser, therefore, go to each link you posted above.
Scroll to the log you want to delete.
Click on "View / Edit Log / Images"
Click the garbage can icon.
Click "Yes' on the "Are you sure?" message.

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

On 12/15/2021 at 2:25 PM, GoOnATreasureHunt5 said:

You still have finds on caches that you could not find. At least one today was confirmed to actually be in place. It's really easy to delete those logs! If you still have trouble let us know.