Profile dashboard ignores privacy settings, crashes when enforced by browser

JuRoot

I'm pretty aware of privacy issues on the web these days, so I always deny all unnecessary analytics when asked. For the Geocaching.com site I have unchecked all non-required scripts on the popup and saved my preferences. But now, when I try to visit my Dashboard (/account/dashboard), page hangs on load raising errors in the browser's console. Crash happens in dashboard javascript code, which requires Google Tag Manager script to be loaded.

I have two issues with this:

1. Geocaching.com site obviously ignores my privacy choice, since I am pretty sure about my preference of disabling all marketing and analytics usage of my data when asked on popup window. First error in my console raised by adblocker (acually, it's more of tracking script blocker), actively preventing load of Google Tag Manager (improved and more privacy intrusive Google Analytics script, capable of tracking every action taken on page). This script should not be loaded on the first place, when user have opted out of analytics.
  2. There is some coding error with dashboard javascript code, which makes Account Dashboard unusable when the Google Tag Manager tracking code is not loaded and functioning. That puts me into position, where I have to provide access for Google to track my usage on websites (I won't) in order to get Geocaching site functioning like intended.

I would really appreciate a fix for this issue, since dashboard is my first page to look here on Geocaching.com. 

image.png.e2ca325d19a33b5249e145001e84aa01.png

Edited by JuRoot
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I hard-block cookiebot.com at the firewall, and soft-block googlesnoopingmanager (several related sites, IIRC) in the browser with NoScript. 

Works well. 

PS to add, now that I'm back at a keyboard...  Scripts from googletagmanager and googletagservices seem to be absolutely unnecessary for normal web browsing.  In my experience, sites work perfectly well with those two blocked.  Cookiebot.com is the annoying "I need answers about cookies!" popup that Groundspeak uses to satisfy some stupid government rule, and like the Google junk, blocking it completely makes the hassle just evaporate away.  :)

Firewall all three and don't look back.  B)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Helpful 1