Bug? Certitude verification seems to be pointing to a different website - Hacked?

Rexlady

16 minutes ago, Rexlady said:

I think I've solved the puzzle for GC3A334, but when I go to put the corrected into the Certitude link on the cache, it seems to be pointing to a non-Certitude website - like maybe the page got hacked or something?

The Certitude link in that cache goes to " certitude.comxa.com " which is different to most others I've seen that go to "www.certitudes.org".

10 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The Certitude link in that cache goes to " certitude.comxa.com " which is different to most others I've seen that go to "www.certitudes.org".

Right. The comxa.com is the old name. I run into this regularly on older puzzle caches. Just replace the host name with "www.certitudes.org" and  you'll get to the correct page. Naturally you should point out the problem to the CO, but you don't need him to fix it.

• Upvote 1

Certitude must be a small-time coord checker.  When the big-time evince checker stopped working (because the proprietor died), Groundspeak ran a script to change all the links in all those cache pages to include "invalid", making it a broken link on purpose.

EDIT to clarify...  Groundspeak would've done this as a public service, in case the original site fell into the hands of someone with bad intent, ie hosting malware.  Better to reach no site at all, than a bad one.  My implied hint was, they could do this again, for the Certitude case above.

I just noticed on one of my own puzzle cache pages, a link (still, oops) to "evince.locusprime.invalid/blahblah".  Guess I'd better fix that.  :o

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Funny 2
  • Surprised 1