Sending third party links via message center

H2"O"

I just tried to send a message through the message center. it told me that third party links can only be sent by premium members. First of all, I am a premium member (and have been for about 16 years) and second, there are no links at all in my message. Any thoughts?

• Helpful 1

17 minutes ago, H2"O" said:

I just tried to send a message through the message center. it told me that third party links can only be sent by premium members. First of all, I am a premium member (and have been for about 16 years) and second, there are no links at all in my message. Any thoughts?

This has been the case for Bm for a long time. The message comes often, although no link is used. If that had already been the case with the introduction of the Message Center, I would never have used the message center.

I am a Basic member, but was having the same problem - "Only Premium members can send third-party links via Message Center. Please remove all third-party links to send your message." when there are no links (third party or otherwise) in the message I'm trying to send...

The message in question was to a puzzle cache owner asking for confirmation of the solution I'd come up with, because the geochecker link in the cache description just gives an error message.  It included the coords I'd come up with "N 52° 12.686' W 000° 55.065'", and also the error message that the geochecker web site displayed

Warning: Use of undefined constant code - assumed 'code' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/geoche7/public_html/index.php on line 54
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/geoche7/public_html/_headerfooter.php:9 Stack trace: #0 /home/geoche7/public_html/index.php(150): include() #1 {main} thrown in /home/geoche7/public_html/_headerfooter.php on line 9

(which I appreciate is nothing to do with geocaching.com).  It didn't even mention geochecker.com (which might arguably be taken as a link), I just referred to "geochecker".

I finally got around it thanks to another thread in this forum from last August; I inserted a space everywhere I could see a "." with a non-space character after it.  "index. php", "_headerfooter. php" and even in the coordinates "N 52° 12. 686' W 000° 55. 065'" rather than "N 52° 12.686' W 000° 55.065'".  And then it Sent okay :-)

• Helpful 3
11 hours ago, Mlockbugs_Dad said:

I am a Basic member, but was having the same problem - "Only Premium members can send third-party links via Message Center. Please remove all third-party links to send your message." when there are no links (third party or otherwise) in the message I'm trying to send...

The message in question was to a puzzle cache owner asking for confirmation of the solution I'd come up with, because the geochecker link in the cache description just gives an error message.  It included the coords I'd come up with "N 52° 12.686' W 000° 55.065'", and also the error message that the geochecker web site displayed

Warning: Use of undefined constant code - assumed 'code' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/geoche7/public_html/index.php on line 54
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/geoche7/public_html/_headerfooter.php:9 Stack trace: #0 /home/geoche7/public_html/index.php(150): include() #1 {main} thrown in /home/geoche7/public_html/_headerfooter.php on line 9

(which I appreciate is nothing to do with geocaching.com).  It didn't even mention geochecker.com (which might arguably be taken as a link), I just referred to "geochecker".

I finally got around it thanks to another thread in this forum from last August; I inserted a space everywhere I could see a "." with a non-space character after it.  "index. php", "_headerfooter. php" and even in the coordinates "N 52° 12. 686' W 000° 55. 065'" rather than "N 52° 12.686' W 000° 55.065'".  And then it Sent okay :-)

Hi there! Yes, any message containing a period with characters on either side (e.g. "r.p") will be considered a third-party link by the Message Center filter. This is considered expected behavior, although it is slightly inconvenient. In December we were experiencing more widespread issues with this error message that we now believe are fixed. We do, however, appreciate you raising this point - hopefully this thread can help out other geocachers experiencing the same issue.

• Funny 2
  • Surprised 2
3 hours ago, worrellsquirrel said:

Yes, any message containing a period with characters on either side (e.g. "r.p") will be considered a third-party link by the Message Center filter.

I'm sorry, it works like THAT?!

Treading in the realm of valid-URL-detection is a dangerous affair, but it's not so dangerous you need to simplify the solution to "characters on either side."

There's not even a check to make sure the text on the right-hand side forms a valid top-level domain? Even something as minimal as /[a-z\.-]+\.[a-z]{2,4}/gi would do fine.

When I (a Premium member) include links in my messages, it automatically detects them and wraps <a> tags to make them clickable.

Capture.PNG.bc97e22361f93cfb36ad848fe18d22c8.PNG

Why not use THAT code to detect links?

Edited by Hügh
  • Helpful 5