Scaredy Cat Benchmark Page

frex3wv

Hey everyone, I haven't bounced around these forums in a while.  I was using MyTopo by trimble, and around December 3, 2021, it stopped working, and I didn't have good error checking code on the scaredycat site so it crashed the google maps benchmark viewer.  When I went to the trimble/mytopo site, it said the site was down and had some cryptic message about "expect something great soon!".  It looks like the site is back up now, but it also looks way to slick to be offering up free topo maps like they used to.

I'll have to look around at what they have for topo options out there now days.  I bet GoDaddy doesn't want me serving up tiles from my own web site.  One time they told me I should keep my databases to under 20,000 rows because if I crashed the shared server they were hosting my site on it would be a violation of service, and they would be very mad at me.  20,000 rows?  Give me a break, what's that, Rhode Island marks? lol

• Upvote 1

Found some information about using ArcGIS and I may have figured out how to get the US Topo layers back.  I'll be fiddling around with it over the holidays likely, but you will need to use the OpenLayers version of the benchmark map, haven't looked into if this can be done easily with the Google Maps API.

I added 2 new layers, a slightly different Base Map that is kind of like the terrain map, and the USA Topo.

http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/ol/index.php

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1