Where to get ammo boxes in SF Bay Area?!

robotman

I posted a similiar inquiry on the general forum, but thought I'd try the West forum in case there are some SF cachers reading this...

__

Can anyone suggest the best (aka cheapest) place to get ammo boxes on the SF pennisula? I live in Pacifica (just south of San Fran). I've checked a couple Army outlets and they have told me that the ammo boxes are hard to find. Something about a goverment conspiracy to destroy them. icon_eek.gif

I like the ammo boxes for their weather-proofness and camoflauge, but I can't find them!

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

The Robot Family

Here are two in the South Bay (that's where I live, so)

Mountain View Surplus, 1299 W El Camino Real

Mounatin View, ca (These guys have lots of different kinds of cans, and cheep too!)

and

Stevens Creek Surplus, 3449 Stevens Creek Blvd, San Jose

Cheers

MtM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

Thanks for the info.

I posted in the general forums and people also recommended CheaperThanDirt.Com.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/product.asp?sku=ZAA%2D095&AID=10279846&PID=1275160

The ammo boxes are only $3.97. I bought 10 and with shipping they came to about $5/each which is the best I've ever seen. They also have >15,000 in stock. Should keep cachers well stocked for a while. icon_smile.gif

Thanks again!

John

The Robot Family

quote:
Originally posted by montythemule:

Here are two in the South Bay (that's where I live, so)

Mountain View Surplus, 1299 W El Camino Real

Mounatin View, ca (These guys have lots of different kinds of cans, and cheep too!)

and

Stevens Creek Surplus, 3449 Stevens Creek Blvd, San Jose

Cheers

MtM

In Moss Landing, between Santa Cruz and Monterey:

J & S Surplus Small ammo boxes $4, larger available.

quote:
Originally posted by DragonsWest:

In Moss Landing, between Santa Cruz and Monterey:

http://www.surplusinc.com/index.htm Small ammo boxes $4, larger available.

I always stop here when I am going down to Monterey. I've bought probably 50 from them and they refuse to run out. icon_smile.gif Just make sure you check them good. Some are rusted out from the inside. You don't want those. I open each one before I buy them. While you're there, check out their mortar round cases. If they have them, they are often just $5. Very cool containers.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I'll have to check out J&S next time on my way to Monterey.

I ordered 10 boxes from Cheaper Than Dirt and I am a little disappointed at how dirty they arrived. They all came in covered with sand / dirt (now I get the name of the store) and some of them have a little rust. All are intact and probably will be fine after cleaning. I was just expecting to receive them in "cleaner" condition. Maybe I have too high of expectations for used ammo boxes.

Also, they made very little, if any, money on the order. It took two very heavy boxes to ship them and then only charged me $10 which no way covered the UPS charges.

At $5 per box delivered to your door... it's still a good deal.

The Robot Family