Hiding cache near a hospital

Jayeffel

I looked but did not see any information on restrictions for placing a cache on property of a hospital. I am contemplating placing a cache on the outskirt property of the parking lot of a hospital, not near the building or people or traffic. If I could determine the proper people to place a cache if allowed that is, I might do so. I am thinking of a traditional cache, maybe another type would be better. Thanks for guidance.

I did see places where a cache would be interesting but very much open sight to anyone looking out a window on  three sides. 

I know with other games (not to be mentioned here) having spots near a hospital can be beneficial to patients who may be stuck in a bed but otherwise okay (such as with a broken leg). Being able to play gps-based games on the phone while in hospital can help pass the time.

That doesn't apply to caching, as they can't come out and have a search. Personally, I'd treat it like a regular business - with the extra consideration of not placing it where a finder might park in a place where it could obstruct emergency vehicles.

3 minutes ago, humboldt flier said:

I know of a number of caches at hospitals ... and see no big problem ... PROVIDED permission has been granted.

Caveat:  Placing at or around a pediatric hospital might be a bad idea.  ***(same rationale as not placing near schools)***

There's a pediatric hospital in Texas that we go to that has relentless security. We've tried to get a cache next to the parking lot and have been harassed by security not once but twice asking why we were there and what our business was. The cache is in a small park like setting with benches where people are supposed to be! The last time one of my kids was there he texted me to say security was asking him questions too and he was just sitting in his car waiting for his brother. 

Edited by Max and 99
1 minute ago, Max and 99 said:

relentless security. 

Takes me to a negative stereotype: 

"Give someone a tin badge and a whistle and they will blow their fool head off".  

Overblown sense of their self importance and authority.

O.K. ... back to topic.

Go to the honcho of the facility after approval a joint meeting with head of security in order to get all folks on the "same page".

• Funny 1
11 hours ago, Jayeffel said:

I looked but did not see any information on restrictions for placing a cache on property of a hospital.

I am contemplating placing a cache on the outskirt property of the parking lot of a hospital, not near the building or people or traffic.

If I could determine the proper people to place a cache if allowed that is, I might do so. 

I did see places where a cache would be interesting but very much open sight to anyone looking out a window on  three sides. 

Maybe it's just me, but I'd ask myself "Is this in a spot where I'd be comfortable finding a cache?", and "Why is this cache here?"

Just as any cache, you get permission.  Hospitals have a board of directors/trustees.

Boards are usually scheduled with what's on the table.  Expect a wait to get in (you're not hospital-related...). 

You'd need to contact maintenance and security as well, and maybe you'd be directed to one of them by the board in your meeting.

If you have the patience, and really feel it's worth it, it doesn't hurt to ask... 

Where I am considering is on the periphery of the property away from the busy areas, right off a parking lot and a fairly easy cache so time there is not very long. May not pursue this idea this idea.

There are other places. I thought of placing caches where older archived caches were located, or as best I figure where they were. But do not know why they were archived. Maybe going there and looking would be a give me some idea.

5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd ask myself "Is this in a spot where I'd be comfortable finding a cache?", and "Why is this cache here?"

I'm thinking the same thing. What is the attraction of bringing people to a hospital? I don't know what hospitals are like where the OP lives, but around here parking near them is always at a premium, especially during visiting times. At the main public hospital here, the surrounding streets are always full of parked cars for a kilometre or more in any direction. About a decade ago they built a new multi-level car park but they charge an arm and a leg to park there.

• Upvote 1

I have found caches on hospital grounds.  Some hospitals near me have park like areas for walking and whatnot (exercise, mental diversion, connect with nature, meditation, etc).  A family member of a patient might enjoy a break to get a nearby cache; and maybe even a patient depending.  But the main thing for your point is to ask permission.

• Helpful 1
52 minutes ago, fuzziebear3 said:

I have found caches on hospital grounds.  Some hospitals near me have park like areas for walking and whatnot (exercise, mental diversion, connect with nature, meditation, etc).  A family member of a patient might enjoy a break to get a nearby cache; and maybe even a patient depending.  But the main thing for your point is to ask permission.

There's a private hospital in Gosford right next to a cemetery, with a multi that explores some of the historical gravestones from the 1800s. On the two occasions I've been in there for day surgery, I've wandered through the cemetery beforehand, wondering where they'll plant me if things don't go to plan.

• Funny 1

The major problem in getting permission is the hospital is part of a big chain -- how far up the corporate ladder would it need to go before someone could make a determination? I know that is not really answerable here. 

I was thinking of the area because my wife has been in that hospital too many times this year, and nothing to do with Covid. Breathing problems and then this past Sunday she fell and broke an ankle.She is to be transferred to a nursing home for Rehab tomorrow morning the last we heard. She may be in 10 days to 30 days . Interesting since they said no weight on the foot for 6 weeks. I know other muscles need toning- a lot actually. Just hope medicare and supplemental  cover it or I may have to go back to work and slow down caching. 

I spent 70 days in hospitals a couple of years ago.  Towards the end of my stay, when I could go out on the grounds in a wheelchair, I might have stopped for a T1 cache. I would not stop for a hospital cache today - with follow up surgery and other appointments I have spent enough time at those kind of places.