International data

kayak hunter

Sorry if this has been answered before but I found no info on it. 

My question is can Adventure Lab caches only be used on a cell phone? I normally cache with a gps ( good in any country ). Now if I need to use a cell phone in another country for an Adventure Lab I would need a data plan for that country. See the problem, is there a way around this issue? 

24 minutes ago, kayak hunter said:

Sorry if this has been answered before but I found no info on it. 

My question is can Adventure Lab caches only be used on a cell phone? I normally cache with a gps ( good in any country ). Now if I need to use a cell phone in another country for an Adventure Lab I would need a data plan for that country. See the problem, is there a way around this issue? 

Unless you can download the app to your GPS, yes you need a phone. 

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
15 hours ago, kayak hunter said:

Now if I need to use a cell phone in another country for an Adventure Lab I would need a data plan for that country. See the problem, is there a way around this issue?

You get around this issue by purchasing the required data plan. For example, you can purchase a prepaid data plan when you arrive to another country.

Edited by arisoft
2 hours ago, kayak hunter said:

See the problem, is there a way around this issue?

No, AL are designed to be played on a smartphone only, there is no way around it.  Most phone companies have an offer to include data use for a foreign country on your existing phone for a small amount of money.  Depending on where you are going, a prepaid card like mentioned above might be a good alternative.

15 hours ago, kayak hunter said:

is there a way around this issue? 

Yes, but it is very cumbersome.

Load the app (at home) and select the AL you want to do. It will download the texts and waypoints. Then you can go to the wps and see the questions. You can not answer them in the field, but the app will remember that you visited the location. So go to a place with wifi to get a data connection, and there you can 'visit' the wps again and answer the questions.

This is of course a giant pain in the behind when you have a sequential AL, because you only get the next wp after you give the answer; so that means a lot of travel between the wifi and the wps.

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Kalkendotters said:

Load the app (at home) and select the AL you want to do.

Load the app?

1 hour ago, Kalkendotters said:

This is of course a giant pain in the behind when you have a sequential AL, because you only get the next wp after you give the answer; so that means a lot of travel between the wifi and the wps.

Too much trouble. Been there, done that, and could not complete.