Walking Tour

WhatTreeIsThis

Newbie here. There is a whole world of geocaching that I didn't imagine before.

I'm thinking of using geocaching to identify and locate specific trees in a woodlands setting, and helping users to find those trees. Would this be appropriate? Would this be in the area of Adventure Geocaching? Maybe Wherigo Caches?

Please give me some guidance for where to look for further information. Many Thanks.

2 hours ago, WhatTreeIsThis said:

Please give me some guidance for where to look for further information. Many Thanks.

Please go find some geocaches before you hide any. 

We encourage you to find at least 20 geocaches before hiding one. The more variety of geocaches you find, the better you will understand how to create an enjoyable experience for other geocachers. Find additional guidance about hiding caches in our Help Center.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Please go find some geocaches before you hide any. 

We encourage you to find at least 20 geocaches before hiding one. The more variety of geocaches you find, the better you will understand how to create an enjoyable experience for other geocachers. Find additional guidance about hiding caches in our Help Center.

Good advice, except we won't be hiding anything. The trees are already there, right out in the open. We just want people to find them. Thanks.

• Funny 3
22 minutes ago, WhatTreeIsThis said:

Good advice, except we won't be hiding anything. 

So, without a container you have Earthcaching, but it's related to Geology, not Dendrology... unless you may qualify to a Virtual Reward, the only option would be an Adventure Lab, also only granted to experienced players.

Better start to hide a Multi, with stages on every tree you want us to discover.

Edited by RuideAlmeida
  • Helpful 2
6 hours ago, WhatTreeIsThis said:

Newbie here. There is a whole world of geocaching that I didn't imagine before.

I'm thinking of using geocaching to identify and locate specific trees in a woodlands setting, and helping users to find those trees. Would this be appropriate? Would this be in the area of Adventure Geocaching? Maybe Wherigo Caches?

I’ve seen Wherigo used as a kind of walking tour.  Adventure Labs don’t allow a lot of text, so be concise.  Other than that, sure, either might do.

I had a puzzle cache specifically about tree identification.  Which was easy, because the trees had signs on them, placed by park employees.  Such a cache requires a hidden container.  https://coord.info/GC4G9KF 

• Upvote 1

@WhatTreeIsThis

You can create and publish a Wherigo on Wherigo.com that has no physical cache.  

On that page you'll see a link to download the builder  Last Update: 1/4/2008 <--- at least they stop labeling it as "new!".

The thing you're building is called a "cart" (I think short for cartridge). There are other builders. See the Wherigo forum here for more info LINKY

The audience for a cart with no associated physical cache published on Geocaching.com is limited. Though it's something that can be advertised in say a Nature Center.  You'd want to build it to run on a smartphone - very few gps devices will  handle them now and it's mostly older Garmin devices. Just not common these days. 

I had a Wherigo that all about the oak varieties (several, many) along a short stretch of trail in the Withlacoochee State Forest, FL.  And hey, a couple of good sized oak hybrids too.  

For people to notice that the cart existed, I had a physical cache associated with it, published on Geocaching.com. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2