Cache maintenance

JaimeeG

A question for everyone/anyone interested:

If cachers have a habit of not maintaining their caches, i.e. archiving them and leaving them in place instead of taking the time to check on them and pull them or take care of them, should they be allowed to place new caches over and over again?

[This message was edited by JaimeeG on June 22, 2003 at 11:28 PM.]

Being rather low on the number of real caches that I've stashed, I can tell you that I've always collected my archives (or what's leaf of them). However, I personally wouldn't loose sleep if I missed one. I justify myself based of the truck loads of trash that I've cleaned up while caching (and sometimes had to pay to dump at the transfer station).

While I do my best, I'm sure I've left some Geo-Trash along the way. But overall I've made things better than they were.

Should I place this kind of responsibility on other cachers? That would be difficult. Some people are just pigs (None of which are cachers). icon_wink.gif The best I can do is live a good example and help others that fall short of my expectations.

I will project, that if cachers don't set a good example it will come back to bit us.

Bill of Green Achers

''There's three kinds of people in the world... Those that can count - And those that can't.''

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Being rather low on the number of real caches that I've stashed, I can tell you that I've always collected my archives (or what's leaf of them). However, I personally wouldn't loose sleep if I missed one.

Missing one isn't the issue. My problem is with people who knowingly archive a cache and then never bother to physically remove it, even though they might try to give the impression that they have removed it. There are several examples of just that exact thing happening here in the valley. I find it humorous when someone says a cache was archived because the container fell apart or it was missing or whatever other reason, only to later be found perfectly intact by another cacher!

It is proof positive that some folks are in this game for one thing...numbers. They don't care if they have caches that are never maintained because that doesn't reflect on their stats.

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

What Green Achers says at the end there is all too true. Case in point: As an active rock climber in the 70's and 80's I saw the coming storm of land management that came in the 90's. Climbers found themselves in the position of becoming activists. The Access Fund was born and now representation against land closures is part of the climbing landscape. I applaud the CITO and Adopt A Hwy that groups undertake. Good stewardship of the land is the surest way to win the hearts of those that would like to restrict use of public lands.

I've looked at some caches and I've discovered caches I believe to violate the guidelines of creating a Geocache. In fact in some cases they admit that the cache was placed while they are on vacation. These are traditional caches, not virtual caches. IMO, a cache should be visited at a minimum 3 times a year just to maintain the cache.

If a cache has been tossed out fine. But to litter caches during a vacation just to fulfill one's ego is just irresponsible.

I can't believe that some folks here who have over 100 active traditional caches actually MAINTAIN all of them even if they claim to have agents that maintain them.

What should be done? Nothing. People should take a personal responsibility for their caches. Their own convictions to the environment should curb their actions.

quote:
Originally posted by adampierson:

I can't believe that some folks here who have over 100 active traditional caches actually MAINTAIN all of them even if they claim to have agents that maintain them.

Every finder is the Stasher's agent [iMHO]. As an active Geocacher, it is your privilege and honor to help correct problems as you discover them. This is not always possible as some problems require a return visit, but the vast majority of problems can easily be fixed by... you.

I try to carry a few plastic bags, spare log sheets and a few pre-made caches with me while caching. So if I find a container is broken (and I happen to have the right sized replacement with me) I'd replace it. Same thing for adding a log sheet or what ever.

There are other things that finders do to maintain a cache. One cache in my town has the need to seasonally move. I've watched it be relocated like the tied and that's why it's lasted over time.

The 4H slogan, ''To Make The Best, Better'' works here. Everyone in Geocaching makes Geocaching a wonderful experience.

Bill of Green Achers

Some asked questions are already known. Gen. 3:9