Suggestion to improve Adventure searches.

Gill & Tony

The adventure "Animal Climbers of North East Victoria" is non-sequential (do in any order) and has both the start coordinates and the first stage in the city of Wodonga.  Stage 2 is in the town of Bellbridge.

If you centre the map on Bellbridge and then search for adventures, you get no results in the immediate area.   If you increase the map area to include Wodonga, you get a lot of adventures, but no indication which, if any, have a stage near Bellbridge.

My suggestion is to include available stages in the search results.  Then searching near Bellbridge will show a stage and selecting it will show the full adventure.

• Helpful 1

I certainly agree with your logic, I'm just not sure there's a good way to do that. About the best I can think of is something people have mentioned elsewhere: optionally allow the map to show all stages instead of just the posted location. That would work peachy in your case, but would be quite a mess in some places around me where the map is already pretty dense just showing the one posted spot for each AL. But, still, it's definitely a problem that I'd love to see solved. You simple case makes the problem easy to understand, but I hope the solution would solve the more complicated problem we have around here. San Francisco, for example, is crisscrossed by more than a dozen ALs, so it's a big problem figuring out which has a stage where you are. Even if I'm trying to focus on one AL, I still want to know whether there are other stages of other ALs around me.

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, dprovan said:

I certainly agree with your logic, I'm just not sure there's a good way to do that. About the best I can think of is something people have mentioned elsewhere: optionally allow the map to show all stages instead of just the posted location. That would work peachy in your case, but would be quite a mess in some places around me where the map is already pretty dense just showing the one posted spot for each AL. But, still, it's definitely a problem that I'd love to see solved. You simple case makes the problem easy to understand, but I hope the solution would solve the more complicated problem we have around here. San Francisco, for example, is crisscrossed by more than a dozen ALs, so it's a big problem figuring out which has a stage where you are. Even if I'm trying to focus on one AL, I still want to know whether there are other stages of other ALs around me.

What I would really like to see is a search which shows all AVAILABLE stages in the area.  Not the middle stages of sequential ALs (unless it is the next one you haven't done), then clicking on the  icon would open the page relevant to that stage, so you can get closer and answer the question. 

I agree with your point about  high-density areas, Albury-Wodonga has  several adventures with start coordinates in the city area, I'm sure SF has dozens.  The problem is knowing where the stages are without going into each one and checking out the map.  quite a few of the Albury-Wodonga ones are driving trips with stages kilometers apart. 

Public Art in/near the Indigo Shire is non-linear and has two stages some 50 Km apart, but it is a loop and there would be at least 150Km to drive the full loop.  You could be standing right at GZ for one of the stages and never even see the adventure on the map.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Gill & Tony said:

What I would really like to see is a search which shows all AVAILABLE stages in the area.  Not the middle stages of sequential ALs (unless it is the next one you haven't done), then clicking on the  icon would open the page relevant to that stage, so you can get closer and answer the question.

Yep, agreed. Suppressing both sequential stages that aren't yet unlocked as well as all completed stages. Normally I'd be saying which stages should be controllable, but I really can't think of a good reason anyone would want to see stages they can't do or don't need to do.

1 hour ago, HHL said:

The reason is tour planning. Sequenced stations are just locked  to play - not invisible. I like to see them beforehand to create tours in combination with geocaches nearby. And that's pretty difficult without getting coordinates.

I see your point, so that is a reason to have a third option. But the AL app doesn't show caches, so it wouldn't be that helpful. This seems like more an argument for ALs in geocache planning tools and less an argument for showing stages you can't do in the AL app since that is focused on finding AL stages.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:18 AM, Gill & Tony said:

My suggestion is to include available stages in the search results.  Then searching near Bellbridge will show a stage and selecting it will show the full adventure.

We have the same need here as the stages of some Adventure Labs are very far from each other.

This is the case with the Ponts couverts exceptionnels du Québec Adventure Lab with hundreds of kilometers between each stage...

Among the possible solutions, I would like to have the possibility of having the choice between two views in the Adventure Lab App:

1. Adventure Lab View (Current View)
  2. Lab Cache View (Stages View), which could include only the "available" stages, i.e .:
    - all the uncompleted stages of non-linear adventures
    - the next uncompleted stage of linear adventures

Regards!

Edited by OusKonNé & Cétyla
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, HHL said:

The reason is tour planning. Sequenced stations are just locked  to play - not invisible. I like to see them beforehand to create tours in combination with geocaches nearby. And that's pretty difficult without getting coordinates.

Ah! But if one's smart phone had the gps foxed by inputting those coordinates, the stage is no longer locked to play. We found this out, in cognate, by having my old phone have the SIM card knocked askew while doing AL's. However, by logging my wife out after she had done an AL, and logging me in on her AL app on her phone, I was able to answer the questions remaining and get credit for the AL.