Geocache names with Emoji not compatible with hiking GPS - Noms de caches avec Emoji non compatibles avec les GPS de randonnée

Chtigones

[EN]

With the proliferation of players on smartphones, we are encountering more and more names of geocaches starting or containing emoji.
The problem is that the hiking GPS (for example the Garmin, very used by the geocachers) do not know how to display the emoji.
Consequently, when the name of a geocache starts with an emoji, it does not appear on the GPS: the name is empty and it is impossible to find it in the lists. It also sometimes prevents you from managing the cache, or other inconveniences.
When the emoji is in the middle of the name, only what is before is displayed: the rest of the name is invisible.

Proposed improvement: block the ability to create names with emoji and automatically remove emoji in existing cache names.

Thank you!

[FR]

Avec la multiplication des joueurs sur smartphone, nous rencontrons de plus en plus de noms de caches commençant ou contenant des emoji.
Le problème est que les GPS de randonnée (par exemple les Garmin, très utilisés par les géocacheurs) ne savent pas interpréter les emoji.
En conséquence, lorsque le nom d'une cache commence par un emoji, celle-ci ne s'affiche pas sur le GPS : le nom est vide et il est impossible de la trouver dans les listes. Il arrive aussi que cela empêche de gérer la cache, ou d'autres désagréments.
Quand l'emoji est au milieu du nom, seulement ce qui est avant s'affiche : le reste du nom est invisible.

Amélioration proposée : bloquer la possibilité de créer des noms avec des emoji et supprimer automatiquement les emoji dans les noms des caches existantes.

Merci !

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 3
  • Helpful 4

There are a bunch near me  (by the same geocacher) that are just emoji flags. Those are hints to figuring out which language the puzzle is in (they are the numerals in that language). Also has one  letterbox hybrid that is in a pile of stones whose name is just emojis of a rock. would all be no name. Use the app for those. It's free.

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, Chtigones said:

[EN]

With the proliferation of players on smartphones, we are encountering more and more names of geocaches starting or containing emoji.
The problem is that the hiking GPS (for example the Garmin, very used by the geocachers) do not know how to display the emoji.
Consequently, when the name of a geocache starts with an emoji, it does not appear on the GPS: the name is empty and it is impossible to find it in the lists. It also sometimes prevents you from managing the cache, or other inconveniences.
When the emoji is in the middle of the name, only what is before is displayed: the rest of the name is invisible.

Proposed improvement: block the ability to create names with emoji and automatically remove emoji in existing cache names.

Thank you!

[FR]

Avec la multiplication des joueurs sur smartphone, nous rencontrons de plus en plus de noms de caches commençant ou contenant des emoji.
Le problème est que les GPS de randonnée (par exemple les Garmin, très utilisés par les géocacheurs) ne savent pas interpréter les emoji.
En conséquence, lorsque le nom d'une cache commence par un emoji, celle-ci ne s'affiche pas sur le GPS : le nom est vide et il est impossible de la trouver dans les listes. Il arrive aussi que cela empêche de gérer la cache, ou d'autres désagréments.
Quand l'emoji est au milieu du nom, seulement ce qui est avant s'affiche : le reste du nom est invisible.

Amélioration proposée : bloquer la possibilité de créer des noms avec des emoji et supprimer automatiquement les emoji dans les noms des caches existantes.

Merci !

I'll try to find the other discussion about this. We've talked about it before!

Edited by Max and 99
5 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Personally I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, and many other people would be the same. Not everyone is a programmer. Not easy!

You were given a clue more than a year ago. How much progress did you make? I get that it can be daunting when starting from zero, but did you even try?

If not, someone offered to create a service for doing it in the last thread: did you talk with them, tell them it's something that would really help you out?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mustakorppi said:

You were given a clue more than a year ago. How much progress did you make? I get that it can be daunting when starting from zero, but did you even try?

If not, someone offered to create a service for doing it in the last thread: did you talk with them, tell them it's something that would really help you out?

Was I given a clue a year ago? Don't remember. I just have to put up with the nameless files when I load a Pocket Query.

9 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Personally I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, and many other people would be the same. Not everyone is a programmer. Not easy!

I don't have this problem so I have never tried to solve it. It may be as easy as open the file with a text editor capable of converting UTF to ANSI encoding.

Edited by arisoft
2 hours ago, arisoft said:

I don't have this problem so I have never tried to solve it. It may be as easy as open the file with a text editor capable of converting UTF to ANSI encoding.

All that went over my head. No idea what that means. So for me not easy. I will just have to have files without names.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

All that went over my head. No idea what that means. So for me not easy. I will just have to have files without names.

Removing names is little more complicated but can be done by a single search and replace with a proper text editor. Removing only emojis may work with Notepad and this tool https://onlineutf8tools.com/convert-utf8-to-ascii of course it also needs some knowledge about using the clipboard etc. Let's hope that you can find a volunteer to make a service to fix this special compatibility bug in your device.

22 hours ago, Wacka said:

Use the app for those. It's free.

But even then, emojis are device-specific, and can look entirely different on different devices.  They don't search and sort well.  And there are many Apps and sites and things that won't handle emojis well at all (as mentioned), and can't be easily updated.  A wacky non-standard cache title may be kind of fun, maybe as part of the puzzle when used sparingly.  When very rare.  I guess I'm not hip and trendy.  But seriously, what's with emojis in cache titles?  Just don't.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

This isn't a website problem, this is a GPS receiver software problem.  There's no reason for geocaching HQ to limit their capability because  the GPSr software isn't caught up.  I'd address the GPS receiver companies and say "hey, I'm trying to use your receiver but I can't see certain cache names because of emojis.  Fix it or I'll find another receiver to use that works better."  That's how the market place drives change!  

It would probably just be a software update that could be done yourself once the software was updated.  I have a Garmin Montana that I was recently given and the first thing I did was update the software on it.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2