Poll: SF Bay Area Gathering (when and where?)

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Since attending the event counts as a find. You should have a log book for people to sign in on.

Having an extra cache is fine plus creating a group cache is fun too. Everyone chips in an item and before you know you have a really big cache. Take the log book, and the chipped in cache items, and hid the cache in honor of the event for others to find who could not attend the event. Pick some one to hide the cache or someone could win the chance to hide it.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

I like this idea, and we can probably even supply the ammo box and logbook. The only problem I can see is, if everyone who says they'll come actually shows up (and has something to put in the new cache), I think we'll be needing a HUGE ammo box for this!

Or maybe we can split it up into a few different ammo boxes in different locations... but where would we put them? Does the new cache have to be near where the event took place? I've never been to the Shadow Cliffs area, but since there's 5 caches nearby already, I'd be worried about cache saturation. What do you guys think?

At our get-together here in the central valley, the cache was given to Ron S. to hide. He didn't hide it anywhere near where the actual gathering was held. The container was a large ammo box, and, if I recall correctly, most of the items donated were smaller. We had a pretty good turnout there and everything fit into the box..at least I think it did!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

At our get-together here in the central valley, the cache was given to Ron S. to hide. He didn't hide it anywhere near where the actual gathering was held. The container was a large ammo box, and, if I recall correctly, most of the items donated were smaller. We had a pretty good turnout there and everything fit into the box..at least I think it did!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

This is good information. Do you remember roughly how many people showed up? So far I'm counting close to 40 "we'll be there"s and about 15 more "we'll try"s...

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dralasites:

This is good information. Do you remember roughly how many people showed up? So far I'm counting close to 40 "we'll be there"s and about 15 more "we'll try"s...

We had about 20 people show up and we actually filled two caches. One was given away as a prize and the other was hidden.

If the turn out is big enough you can hide 3 or 4 caches out of the one event. People are coming from all around. You can hide the event caches all over the state, there are no rules.

I still haven't found the modesto event cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=21247

george

Can someone confirm that cache games are being organized for Saturday? (Pepper, fizzymagic, others?) I'm just curious about what's planned. icon_smile.gif

Food-wise, I think George's system worked out pretty well, and we should get something from each category. (Thanks George!) We'll bring plastic utensils and paper plates and such, since those weren't included in any of the lists.

Colleen.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dralasites:

Can someone confirm that cache games are being organized for Saturday? (Pepper, fizzymagic, others?) I'm just curious about what's planned.

Taking George's advice, I have planned a "zero spot" game, where we will give coordinates and a flag to everyone who comes, and whoever gets the flag closest to the spot wins a prize.

But that's the only one I am doing.

Colleen the folks coming in from out of town are bringing paper plates, and plastic forks and knives. As far as games my husband and I are going over a game idea and I will be out at Shadow Cliffs tomorrow preparing for it. Hope the info helped.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!

Now I wonder what we Dralasites should bring... I'm glad I found out someone's bringing utensils and such. I wonder what else people bringing that I don't know about? I better think of something really original... icon_razz.gif

fizzymagic/pepper: I wish I could help with planning the games, but I won't be able to visit the park before the event. If you need help coming up with puzzles or something though, let me know!

Colleen

Ok Colleen my husband SuperGenis and I have came up with an idea, here it is. Friday morning EARLY myself and a fellow cacher and friend(claire) will be at the Cliffs placing between 35 to 45 small round red disks, but not to small. When a cacher has found a disk at the way point he/she will leave a red ribbon on the ground to let the next cacher know it's been found and to move on. I will take responsibility for picking up all the ribbons after the games are over. Who ever finds the most disks will win! My husband and I have some gifts for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. This should prove to be interesting. Please let me know if sounds ok! I will check the forums early in the morning before I get started. Yes fizzy the paper plates and flat ware are taken care of by our out of town visitors.

I'm sleepy, good nite all.

Pepper

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

Ok Colleen my husband SuperGenis and I have came up with an idea, here it is. Friday morning EARLY myself and a fellow cacher and friend(claire) will be at the Cliffs placing between 35 to 45 small round red disks, but not to small. When a cacher has found a disk at the way point he/she will leave a red ribbon on the ground to let the next cacher know it's been found and to move on. I will take responsibility for picking up all the ribbons after the games are over. Who ever finds the most disks will win! My husband and I have some gifts for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. This should prove to be interesting. Please let me know if sounds ok! I will check the forums early in the morning before I get started. Yes fizzy the paper plates and flat ware are taken care of by our out of town visitors.

I'm sleepy, good nite all.

Pepper

I don't know if you've thought of this but here are some things you may want to think about.

How do you verify that they really found the disk?

How do you verify who found the disk first?

How are you going to give everyone the coordinates? It would take a good 45 min to enter 30 coordinates by hand.

How do you settle a tie?

Also,

You may want to set it up the day before... Ron Streeter and I hid 15 items, I hid 8 and ron hid the rest. It took us a good 2 hours each.

It's a fun game but just takes a lot of work to set up.

george

How do you

George this is what I was thnking, when a red disk is found it is picked up and replaced with a red ribbon. The cachers will bring all the disks they find back to the picnic area. Maybe put a time period on the game. Clair and I were gonna type up the cords and we had planned on making copies them and handing them out. I also would give every body a hand full of 12" red ribbons. Something like that. Maybe I should place fewer red disks I dunna know. Help newbie and trying.

Pepper

Hi Pepper,

I was re-reading the thread about event cache games, and noticed that your game is a lot like the first game described in Scott Thomason's post (currently the last one in that thread). If you haven't already, you might want to read that for some pointers or to learn from his experience.

For example:

• Time to finish: They gave their players 1.5 hrs to find 40 flags, but it didn't seem to be enough time, esp. for the groups with small children. (Or maybe you could hide fewer than 40 red disks.)

• Flag/disk visibility: Good, it sounds like your red disks will be easier to find than his lime green flags.

• Tree cover, etc.: The flags in their game turned out to be a lot harder to find than expected, due to tree cover and other factors. This might be something to keep in mind when you're looking for hiding spots.

Hope that helps!

Colleen

quote:
Originally posted by SuperGenius:

George this is what I was thnking, when a red disk is found it is picked up and replaced with a red ribbon. The cachers will bring all the disks they find back to the picnic area. Maybe put a time period on the game. Clair and I were gonna type up the cords and we had planned on making copies them and handing them out. I also would give every body a hand full of 12" red ribbons. Something like that. Maybe I should place fewer red disks I dunna know. Help newbie and trying.

Pepper

OK, I get the disk park.. that's good.

If you had a lap top you could dowload the coords to all the participants quickly and easily.

I would't hide fewer disks... you're going to have a big gathering and if you don't have many disks you're going to have a lot of bumping in to each other and a lot of "I saw it first!". Lot's of disks, lots of choices.

Then again.. it does make more work.

george

Ok ya'll I have changed from disks to Home Depot Bright Orange Flags. There were cost effective at only one dollare per bundle of ten. Claire and I spent three and half hours this morning placing them ALL over Shadow Cliffs. All thirty flags are numbered 1 thru 30 and I will have the cords printed out and ready to pass out when ya'll get to the Park. There will be a time limit decided on by all. When you find a flag grab it and head for the next one. Which ever team arives back at he picnic area with the most flags within the given amount of time wins. The difficutly level varies from flag to flag. This should be alot of fun. I have a new walking stick for First place and East Bay Trails book for Second place and 2dz batteries and a compass for third. If there is a tie we will just have to toss a coin and third would be knocked out. Something like that we can work out all the details there! Any advice given it taken gladly.

Pepper

The Zero Spot game has been set up. I found a nice, obscure spot at Shadow Cliffs and took a picture of my GPS unit at it, so we can prove where it is. I got a bunch of flags at Orchard (good idea, Pepper!) and printed up stickers with the coordinates of The Spot for each team. Whoever gets their flag closest to The Spot wins. I have prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

See everybody tomorrow!

As mentioned on the cache page, I am making blank name tags for the event, so we know who's who.

Also bringing some garlic mashed potatoes. Yum! icon_smile.gif

We're probably going to try for a few of the pre-existing caches there, but throughout the day instead of at 9AM. See you guys in the morning!